• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anthem Next has been canceled

Astorian

In the spirit of transparency and closure we wanted to share that we’ve made the difficult decision to stop our new development work on Anthem (aka Anthem NEXT). We will, however, continue to keep the Anthem live service running as it exists today.
Game development is hard. Decisions like these are not easy. Moving forward, we need to laser focus our efforts as a studio and strengthen the next Dragon Age, and Mass Effect titles while continuing to provide quality updates to Star Wars: The Old Republic.

Last edited:

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member

TVexperto

Name dropping "Bloomberg" yeah right.

Also what exactly did the devs work on those 2 years since release? I mean No Mans Sky did a complete rework and released several updated meanwhile the devs just worked on some concept art?

Astorian

It's a shame, I really liked the gameplay and would have liked EA to keep investing in the IP.

Name dropping "Bloomberg" yeah right.

Also what exactly did the devs work on those 2 years since release? I mean No Mans Sky did a complete rework and released several updated meanwhile the devs just worked on some concept art?
There was only a skeleton crew working on the game.

Last edited:
Knock me over with a fucking feather.

RIP Anthem, we hardly knew ya

Celebrate Rest In Peace GIF by Jason Clarke

MiguelItUp

Sad, but honestly probably the best decision.

I would've felt SO bad for them if they did all the work they had planned for it and released it. Only to have the same reception as the original if not worse. Oof.

LordCBH

This is the right call. EA and Bioware let this game hemorrhage out. If it still had a player base, I could see an anthem revitalization being a good thing, but that time has long since passed. Had they done somewhat regular content drops, even just smallish drops, I think it could’ve been a different story.

j0hnnix

Gold Member
shocked futurama GIF

Enjoyed it when I got it for 7 bucks. it was definitely fun but the writing was on the wall months after release.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Damn shame. It coulda been THE game. I'll no longer have any faith in any game they release until it's about a month after it comes out.

TheMan

Disappointed, for real. The writing was on the wall though.

Here’s hoping they announce a fully fledged sequel built for the next gen consoles. If they’re going to keep the IP alive that would make the most sense

Last edited:
its for the best. but what a shame. They had decent combat, flight, classes, abilities. But the loot sucked and so did the generic humanoid enemies. Avengers has alot of the same problems. But even Avengers has released more content than Anthem did in 2 years.

brian0057

Banned
Getting mugged on the street is more profitable and worthwhile than buying an EA game in the year of our Lord 2021.

Last edited:

x@3f*oo_e!

This pump and dump scam still made them money.

Same people who made this will now be working on ME:whatever and DA:4.

They made a game were you could fly or shoot, but not at the same time

Expect them to be all over social media, interacting with fans, telling everyone exactly what they want to hear about "made the game you want" before dropping the turd on a bunch of pre-orders.

And nobody will have learned anything.

13th

Neo Member
I hope that you got it for free, GAF, or at least got some enjoyment before they cancelled the game. It doesn't feel good knowing how much time and resources was wasted when the game was in it's final stage life, but I hope that everyone who was involved in it's development got at least some sort of compensation.

Last edited:

SNG32

Fuck me see this is the fucking problem with games as a service. This shit was going for full price when it should of been free to fuckin play in the first place. I actually liked this game in the beginning they should be refunding every person who bought this piece of shit game.

EA robbed a lot of people.

Last edited:

Ascend

The gameplay mechanics were interesting and even good. Too bad everything else was sub-par. Games can't get credit for potential though. The substance needs to be there, and it wasn't... And I think it was quite apparent that this would happen.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
So announce they are fixing it up.

Then announce they aren't fixing it up.

That's game company social media for ya. If you're going to talk, it's better to walk the talk.

Mossybrew

They had really shown nothing of substance about this "Next" version anyway, they should have cut their losses a year ago. Well it's nice to at least get a final word on this poor disaster of a game.

I hope that you got it for free, GAF, or at least got some enjoyment before they cancelled the game. It doesn't feel good knowing how much time and resources was wasted when the game was in it's final stage life, but I hope that everyone who was involved in it's development got at least some sort of compensation.
i got it at launch. So def full price. But ppl seem to forget that it had a full like 30 hr campaign. It wasn't great, but it had its moments. Tons of lore collectibles and full on radio drama thing. The ending boss battle was bad. And the game needed more cutscenes.

They should've just released it like Remnant from the Ashes or like Outriders. And then told ppl a million times that its not a live service game.

They got super backed up with bugs. So instead of releasing content they just had to patch the game constantly to get it working right for nearly a year.

Andodalf

Banned
Big RIP
This pump and dump scam still made them money.

Same people who made this will now be working on ME:whatever and DA:4.

They made a game were you could fly or shoot, but not at the same time

Expect them to be all over social media, interacting with fans, telling everyone exactly what they want to hear about "made the game you want" before dropping the turd on a bunch of pre-orders.

And nobody will have learned anything.

100 Mil in no way made this turn a profit.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
I'm so glad I held off on purchasing this. I was pumped by prerelease coverage, but being a live service I thought I'd cool purchase for a month to see how things shape.

Sure sucks for fans still playing/hoping for the update tho =(

Last edited:

Mossybrew

i got it at launch. So def full price. But ppl seem to forget that it had a full like 30 hr campaign. It wasn't great, but it had its moments.
Yeah, I got some hours of decent fun out of the game so I'm not salty about sixty bucks I spent two years ago. It was only after the campaign that it started to sink in how minimal and super repetitive the "endgame" was and how much loot really sucked.

Last edited:
Yeah, I got some hours of decent fun out of the game so I'm not salty about sixty bucks I spent two years ago. It was only after the campaign that it started to sink in how minimal and super repetitive the "endgame" was and how much loot really sucked.
i really liked the game until about 5 hours after i beat the campaign. Unlike Destiny this game didn't have mass amounts of guns or PVP to rely on. The grind was torturous. It was like hey u beat the game. Now there is nothing to do but run these same 3 strikes over and over and over again. And then when u finally get some decent loot and level up. U can do that again at the next difficulty.

Eventually i just realized the strikes (or whatever they were called idr)....weren't giving me anything good. So it was just running around free roam and doing public events is where i got any meaningful reward.

I disliked almost everything about this game. I was pretty hyped leading up to launch, but obviously I wasn't paying as close attention as I could've been, because the final product was shockingly bad in so many respects.

Honestly, I was considering picking it up on the cheap depending on which was this "Next" thing went. Honestly I just feel bad for the gamers who got caught up in the marketing and for the devs who had to march out a game that was so obviously undercooked.

I would imagine that EA got a nice chunk of dollarydoos from preorders but how big of a loss is this really going to be? Do you think EA will actually learn anything from this?

So the next step is going to be Bioware is now EA *Insert City* for 6 months before they close the doors?

Last edited:

VN1X

Banned
What a clusterfuck this turned out to be for EA. This could've been so good but nope, yet another game with a ton of potential done goofed.

(I even bought it and never played it in hopes of it being improved lol).

Top Bottom