• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anthem Lead Producer Leaving BioWare

diffusionx

Gold Member
They did well with the movement and shooting. They dropped the ball with everything else; most importantly having content.

cant launch a destiny competitor with 1/3rd the content of launch d1.

and then provide no content anyway ...

keep in mind fallout 76 is successful where anthem is not. Both launched at the same time and Bethesda’s product thrives.

BioWare got pwneddd

Making one of these games is really fucking hard. In a way, things like movement and shooting are the easy parts, because at least people are experienced making action games with lots of movement and shooting.

You need tons of content, a good skill system, balanced classes, an endgame system that encourages replay, and the ability to appease the poopsockers after they run through all your massively expensive content in a day and spend all day whining about the lazy devs on Reddit. All that shit is hard enough, if not impossible. But you also need to see how the poopsockers play and then tailor the game to them over time. This is partly why games like Division/Destiny suck at launch and get better over time. So you need to be in it for the long haul, which I really doubt EA ever understood.

Anthem never even got close though. That game was a disaster. I logged into the open beta and was really shocked at how bad it was. I don't know why everyone didn't cancel after that, honestly.

saber45

Neo Member
What's really hilarious about stories like this is that people assume that producers in the video game industry do fuck all anyway. They have nothing to do with any of the important aspects of game development.

They're a dime a dozen interchangeable suits. Worry when the lead art director or systems engineer leaves. Producers are useless.

Wow, you couldnt be more wrong. Most producers have backgrounds in other fields and are consulted on most elements of development. They are also in charge of the schedule of the games development which can influence what is and isnt in the game.

While most of the blame for Anthem shouldnt be laid anywhere near this guy (the suits above him will have made most of those decisons) he will have been actively involved in the development of the game.

Producers aren't suits. Learn more about game deve before you go around mouthing off.

dirthead

Banned
Wow, you couldnt be more wrong. Most producers have backgrounds in other fields and are consulted on most elements of development. They are also in charge of the schedule of the games development which can influence what is and isnt in the game.

While most of the blame for Anthem shouldnt be laid anywhere near this guy (the suits above him will have made most of those decisons) he will have been actively involved in the development of the game.

Producers aren't suits. Learn more about game deve before you go around mouthing off.

In other words, they're suits.

saber45

Neo Member
In other words, they're suits.

Well, I am one and im actively involved in all parts of development for the game I work on. All the producer friends I have were either lead designers or lead artists before they moved to production. So no, they arent suits.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Isa
DUVC37rX0AA8v9K

Siri

Banned

I’m not sure what the point of this is? I haven’t played Fallout 76 myself, but when a game sells well there’s always a reason for it.

You compared Fallout 76 with Anthem by saying both are shit - but you did nothing to explain why one of them ‘did well’ and the other didn’t. I was referring to sales.

Clearly you personally feel that both games are crap - and that’s perfectly fine - but you’ve not explained why Fallout 76 is making money for Bethesda and Anthem isn’t for EA.

Arachnid

...you’ve not explained why Fallout 76 is making money for Bethesda and Anthem isn’t for EA.
That seems kind of obvious. One is a new IP that failed to find its footing. The other is the only bad entry in one of, if not the, biggest RPG series of all time.

Winter John

Gold Member
I’m not sure what the point of this is? I haven’t played Fallout 76 myself, but when a game sells well there’s always a reason for it.

You compared Fallout 76 with Anthem by saying both are shit - but you did nothing to explain why one of them ‘did well’ and the other didn’t. I was referring to sales.

Clearly you personally feel that both games are crap - and that’s perfectly fine - but you’ve not explained why Fallout 76 is making money for Bethesda and Anthem isn’t for EA.

The only person around here who is saying they're "doing well" is you, and the only yardstick you have for them "doing well" is fuckin Anthem. Lol.

Maybe you'd like to tell us how much money F76 is making compared to, oh I don't know, Witcher 3?

Top Bottom