• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anthem gameplay trailer. [EA/Bioware, PC/XB1/PS4, Fall 2018]

Ralemont

not me
What is the likelihood this game will include companions/squadmates like previous BioWare IPs? Slim, I guess?

There might be NPCs in the world that you can call on if you're going solo or something but probably nothing like what BW's SP IPs do. In the video there's the "Ally of the Week" Javelin we see so maybe something like that.

I do think and hope BioWare will fill the world with much more interesting NPCs than Bungie did.

Alexious

There might be NPCs in the world that you can call on if you're going solo or something but probably nothing like what BW's SP IPs do. In the video there's the "Ally of the Week" Javelin we see so maybe something like that.

I do think and hope BioWare will fill the world with much more interesting NPCs than Bungie did.

Bioware should be well aware of how important NPCs are in an RPG, so I certainly hope this will be true.
By the way, not sure if it was known but it seems like Bioware Austin is also helping Edmonton on this one.

firelogic

Visually it looks awesome but how is the shooting going to feel? I've played the Mass Effect trilogy and the shooting in those games isn't exactly a highlight. Based on this gameplay trailer, it doesn't look like they've improved.

Not in a world in which the developer/publisher/platform-holder is well aware that the demo is going to be analyzed by DF, it doesn't.
Yeah, but:

- The developer says it's running on an actual xbonex.

- The demo uses CB

- Motion Blur is equivalent to medium (console) settings of the engine, rather than matching what the engine is capable of in other games on PC

- Texture streaming/pop-in occurs really close to the player, again console like settings rather than very high/ultra on the engine

- Screen Space Reflections are also at least one tier below the maximum. Two issues that doesn't happen (according to DF) on the maximum settings of the engine is some objects not reflecting (in this demo explosion and particles), and not using a more heavy variant that solves the problem for objects not seeing on screen being reflected.

- Right before they flight towards the nexus there's a small loading stuttering

All this makes very possible it's actually running in real time on xbonex, specially since the developers have no need to lie, and apparently nor is Ms asking them to be dissuasive since the Metro guys confirmed it was PC at xbonex settings. In the very least it's an more honest trailer, because it does shows the issues games usually have on console rather than cranking everything to the absolutely maximum possible to paint the game under the most positive light like other bullshit reveals would do.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
The game looks amazing. It also upsets me that Andromeda didn't get anywhere near the same amount of love. Don't get me wrong, I am still playing the game and I enjoy it, but Anthem makes me think of what Andromeda could have been.
Read the Kotaku story on Andromeda. EA had little to do with how fucked up Andromeda got.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
The game better have refined gunplay like Destiny

That's the thing most people get attached to with the game
Then the Community aspect is second, Loot third, end game fourth, then one by one

If Anthem wants to succeed, it needs to know why Destiny is Destiny
It's not just the Shared Online Loot Shooter (SOLS) that you need to match, it's also the way the guns feel, the way you use them and the strategy behind on what you equip

Going by the trailer, we've seen how fights play out to a point
But the gun play to me felt a little off

The abilities of mortar fire and lock-on missles looked great, but her scout rifle felt underwhelming when it was shot
The shotgun at the start felt light, no feedback of recoil or the sway of holding said weapon

Maybe I'm just too intuned with Destiny gunplay

Synless

They gave the huge freedom to make the game they want and they screwed it up.

But EA can't win I guess.
Any efficient/responsible organization keeps a pulse on their workflow and how projects are progressing to ensure things are moving smoothly and are on course. Creative freedom is one thing, being completely irresponsible is another.

dr_rus

Why use checkerboard if you can go native and have a cleaner bullshot PC image?

Honestly I dont see why this could not be possible on consoles.

Because it saves you ~30-50% of processing power with little perceptible quality loss? Decoupled shading is an area of very active research right now and I won't be surprised in the slightest if future GPUs will have some h/w features helping to achieve this in more s/w with higher efficiency.

So far only R6:S right? I'm gonna guess that's a one-off.

+WD2 and I believe there was something else.

Anthem Developers Tease “Amazing Work” and “Enthralling” Storytelling Shown at Internal BioWare Meeting

https://www.dualshockers.com/anthem-bioware-amazing-work-enthralling-storytelling/
The studio hosted an internal milestone review meeting, with Game Director Jonathan Warner mentioning on his personal Twitter account that the event was “amazing,” and that writer Jay Watamaniuk “enthralled” the team with his storytelling prowess.
This game looked amazing at E3. Can't wait to see more.

ViciousDS

Banned
Anthem Developers Tease “Amazing Work” and “Enthralling” Storytelling Shown at Internal BioWare Meeting

https://www.dualshockers.com/anthem-bioware-amazing-work-enthralling-storytelling/

few things

dualshockers not banned anymore.....huh when did that happen XD

Also sounds like they are further along than I thought honestly

Very excited, can't wait.....love the Exo's premise and of course blasting off the ground and zooming around the environments full superman style.....

Do we think we will see more info on this or final fantasy vii remake first lololol

I’ll believe it when I see it.

Even at their height, Bioware were only ever competent storytellers.

It was their supporting characters and the way they and the player interacted that really raised the studio above their competitors, and I can’t imagine that’s going to be possible in a game built around loot grinding online multiplayer.

EA said this was delayed till Spring? I don't see this out until next holiday season. The hype train need a to start to roll.

Watching that trailer again, it looks soo good

Renekton

It was their supporting characters and the way they and the player interacted that really raised the studio above their competitors, and I can’t imagine that’s going to be possible in a game built around loot grinding online multiplayer.
They are underrated when it comes to combat gameplay design - BG, DAO, ME2, etc. Though the open-world thing trips them up hard.

Yep, Baldur's Gate 2 is probably my favorite game ever, and even the story is nothing all that special.

Calm Mind

refined gunplay like Destiny

bmL2nDw.png

EA said this was delayed till Spring? I don't see this out until next holiday season. The hype train need a to start to roll.

When was it ever considered "Delayed" let alone "Delayed til spring"?

Did I miss something? Even the OP states Fall 2018.

When was it ever considered "Delayed" let alone "Delayed til spring"?

Did I miss something? Even the OP states Fall 2018.

Polygon
EA previously announced thatAnthem will be an action-adventure title that will work as a “live service,” similar to how games like Destiny are run. The publisher also said in May that, although BioWare’s project was originally set to launch by the end ofits current fiscal year, Anthem has since been delayed past March 2018. It will launch sometime during EA’s 2019 fiscal year.

https://www.polygon.com/e3/2017/6/10/15776190/anthem-bioware-e3-2017

For some reason In my mind I thought I read that it was supposed to launch this year as one of Xbox One X's premier title but it got delayed.

Edit: I knew I wasn't crazy

Bioware changed the release window on both YouTube and Twitter to Fall 2018, with the Director of Marketing confirming that typing Spring 2018 was a mistake on their end

http://wccftech.com/biowares-anthem-due-release-spring-2018/

Edit: Ah damn. Just saw above.

Highly doubt this will miss 2018. 2018 in Fall (perhaps September like Destiny does). They'll hopefully learn from Titanfall 2, and position it before next year's Battlefield (November), and the potential Star Wars game (Oct/November).

Renekton

Yeah, no way will this drop Spring. I doubt it'll escape 2018, but can't see it dropping before E3 2018. 2018 holiday season, or Fall in September or October like Destiny does. And that way it wouldn't steal from next year's Battlefield, and the potential Star Wars game.
Maybe the NPD bros can correct me, but I think a game of this type doesn't need a big Fall launch (?).

Maybe the NPD bros can correct me, but I think a game of this type doesn't need a big Fall launch (?).

I don't think it needs it either. It's very likely EA will push Anthem with one of their largest and most expensive marketing campaigns ever given how important this is to them, so it's going to have an enormous launch regardless of when they release it.

I just feel past precedent has shown EA will gravitate toward a holiday season release for an investment like this, and given how it originally targeted 2017, an additional 9-12 months of development should see it completed around that time too; if it's ready for end of next year, EA won't let a 200-400 man team sit on it any longer without return.

I'm really afraid EA will fill this game with loot boxes.I just hope they will keep it cosmetics only.

This is their attempt at a Destiny model. Anthem likely exists purely because EA wants something like that in their portfolio - an IP that captures customers in a model couched in microtransactions, content drip-feed, season passes, and annual expansion packs.

It will unquestionably have microtransactions, and they will very likely be lootboxes.

Though I do think EA might have the good sense to eschew a season pass, and go the free DLC route. It would really set them apart from the competition, and only bolster player engagement, reflecting in more micro transaction purchases.

Compsiox

Banned
I'm really afraid EA will fill this game with loot boxes.I just hope they will keep it cosmetics only.

There should be modes like Warzone in Halo 5 which is a mode for non-cosmetic loot. If games insist on having non-cosmetic lootboxes they should follow in its footsteps.

est1992

This game surprised me the most out of E3 and had my hype at an all time high. That being said, these goddamn loot crate scares are gonna kill every game for me.

Gator86

There should be modes like Warzone in Halo 5 which is a mode for non-cosmetic loot. If games insist on having non-cosmetic lootboxes they should follow in its footsteps.

Lootboxes filled with disposable one-time use cards is the absolute worst timeline. Fuuuuuuck that shit.

Renekton

I don't think it needs it either. It's very likely EA will push Anthem with one of their largest and most expensive marketing campaigns ever given how important this is to them, so it's going to have an enormous launch regardless of when they release it.

I just feel past precedent has shown EA will gravitate toward a holiday season release for an investment like this, and given how it originally targeted 2017, an additional 9-12 months of development should see it completed around that time too; if it's ready for end of next year, EA won't let a 200-400 man team sit on it any longer without return.
I suspect EA will follow Ubisoft's Spring-ish launches (Division, For Honor and Ghost Recon) for GAAS which had been financially successful.

Interestingly Destiny 2 seemed to have stumbled out of the gate (?)

Joco

After seeing what they've done with Battlefront 2, I have no doubt Anthem will be absolutely jam packed with loot boxes and other micro transactions, and not limited to cosmetics either.

Top Bottom