• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Another Massive Call of Duty Modern Warfare Update. I've had enough.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Not sure if it's your issue, but it won't do it if you also have the game in suspend mode when you put it in rest. Make sure you close out the application first. Just COD tho, you can leave others up. I left FF7 in suspend last night, just turned on my system this morning, patch is already downloaded and installed.

Check. I never leave games in suspend for... weird OCD reasons, hahaha. I appreciate the advice though -- it would be nice to get back to auto-updating.

The whole point of high quality compression is to be able to use high quality assets with a small foot print. Devs settled on 50gb because that's what BD allows. But these file sizes for updates are ridiculous because there is no limit and the burden is placed on the user with a complete disregard for things like ISP data caps and, you know, wasting the player's time. The latter seems to go hand in hand with the aforementioned regression in game design, in my opinion.

Don't you think they're already doing this? It doesn't make much sense for publishers and developers to frustrate players and make impulse buys intrinsically complicated. That's bad for everyone, especially them.

If it were as simple as investing in compression, and cutting down file sizes by jaw dropping amounts, don't you think they would have done that?

We're likely looking at extreme compression already, or assets streaming so fast off the HDD, there's no time for decompression.

MP sucks anyway, save your time and frustration OP, keep it that way.

Worst CoD ever. Maybe a year from now the SBMM will be turned down and it'll be fun?

Last edited:

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
Honestly the updates have slowed down dramatically. It was insane at first because we were getting them weekly, but it's really been a while,

Really? I've been updating this game multiple times the last week or two. Feels like I'm updating it every time I start the bnet client.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
I have it on a m.2 250 gb ssd and at this point I'll probably give up on the game as well. No way im keeping a mp game that big. Fuck that shit. Allow me to delete SP and I'll change my mind.

Two ways that could happen. You named one. The other obvious one is to introduce a fucking map vote so most of the garbage will never be played again.
Works in every CoD, just wait a year so that the SBMM gets toned down, almost like that's planned or something...

But yes, absolutely, this game would be way better with a map vote. BO2 was super sweaty when it released (reminder that it's fully playable again but Theater doesn't work anymore) but at least it had good maps, but this game has the worst MP maps it feels like in history. Like, ever.

Gravemind

What an albatross of a game. I've never seen a game require 20 gb for weapon balancing, fixes, gun skins, and a couple of maps. This is ridiculous. 200 fucking gb.

The only part of MW that I actually liked and played was the 3v3 gunfight tournament, and since they removed those after the last update and replaced it with a bastardized version, I'm uninstalling this game. If they gave me an option to uninstall Warzone, I'd consider keeping it but 200 gb to play gunfight with a couple of my friends is just too much.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
How much is that update on X1 and how big of a size is the game after that? Seems like that copy feature when updating a game was not there in the mid-gen or am I wrong?

What an albatross of a game. I've never seen a game require 20 gb for weapon balancing, fixes, gun skins, and a couple of maps. This is ridiculous. 200 fucking gb.

The only part of MW that I actually liked and played was the 3v3 gunfight tournament, and since they removed those after the last update and replaced it with a bastardized version, I'm uninstalling this game. 200 gb to play gunfight with a couple of my friends is just too much.
A map was included too but I don't think Hardhat or even one map at all would be that much. They have to have way bigger changes behind the scenes, like people have actually seen their guns act differently but they weren't in the patch notes.

Try to delete SP and Co-OP bs.

You can't delete those individually. You have to delete the entire 210 GB, then redownload the main data, the compatibility data pack and the two multi-player packs. That's around 140 GB that you have to redownload on the PS4. I just deleted the entire game, and am moving on to something else. It saddens me, since I actually like the Call of Duty: Modern Warfare, and had been playing with a buddy of mine until today. I will say this: I will never buy another Call of Duty game again unless they can get it back to under 50 GBs, and that's not the direction that Activision is going.

Abear21

Banned
My experience with this game is it’s 1am and I finally sit down to play a couple rounds of multiplayer or Warzone. Turns out the game has to update and I have to wait an hour for it to download and copy. Fast forward to 2am to me getting shot by a dude using aimbot from across the map. I turn off crossplay and then can’t find a game. Why do I play this game? But I do it all over a few days later. It’s oddly addicting despite being full of microtransactions, hackers, inconsistent audio, constant bloated updates, shit multiplayer maps that are WAY too small, a campaign you cannot delete after you play it. You gotta give it IW—the decision to make Warzone free to play is genius and the gunplay feels solid and is fun.

Last edited:

TexMex

Really? I've been updating this game multiple times the last week or two. Feels like I'm updating it every time I start the bnet client.

Wouldn't speak to b.net, I'm on PS4. I play 4-5 nights a week, and these huge patches really fell off. At most, I've gotten a restart the lobby indicator to apply what appear to be some hot fixes, but I'm definitely not downloading any substantial patches.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Lol it's like Days Gone. 30gb patch every time I turned on my ps4 for a year (once or twice a month) but Days Gone updates do something

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
Wouldn't speak to b.net, I'm on PS4. I play 4-5 nights a week, and these huge patches really fell off. At most, I've gotten a restart the lobby indicator to apply what appear to be some hot fixes, but I'm definitely not downloading any substantial patches.

Maybe it's different on PC, I have no idea. They aren't big, the common ones, but they are there every other day and the game is still buggy. Who knows what they are actually doing...

You can't delete those individually. You have to delete the entire 210 GB, then redownload the main data, the compatibility data pack and the two multi-player packs. That's around 140 GB that you have to redownload on the PS4. I just deleted the entire game, and am moving on to something else. It saddens me, since I actually like the Call of Duty: Modern Warfare, and had been playing with a buddy of mine until today. I will say this: I will never buy another Call of Duty game again unless they can get it back to under 50 GBs, and that's not the direction that Activision is going.

I'm on the X, it lets me choose individual blocks to delete.

It's sad because of this clusterfuck, but don't give up..let it sit on stand by and download in the background.

INC

i honestly think activision do this on purpose, for console HDD space monopoly

think about it, most people in your friends list play CoD, thats over 200gig, on older consoles with only 500gb, thats nearly half their space, not leaving much room for other MP shooter like say BF another 100+gig, ps4 has like a 80gig reserve as well..........

so do you always keep CoD on your HDD?, or delete and have to redownload 200gig again?

TexMex

think about it, most people in your friends list play CoD, thats over 200gig, on older consoles with only 500gb, thats nearly half their space, not leaving much room for other MP shooter like say BF another 100+gig, ps4 has like a 80gig reserve as well..........

so do you always keep CoD on your HDD?, or delete and have to redownload 200gig again?

SetWidth940-tinfoil-hat.jpg

I think you have a valid point there. Everyone should revoke, and delete Modern Warfare for a month. It's the only way to change their egregious ways.

Roufianos

Over 200GB for a few tiny maps and 1 hour of cut scenes? Incompetent devs.

I stopped playing a month after launch but it was a drain on my hard drive space from day one.

Riven326

Banned
I think you have a valid point there. Everyone should revoke, and delete Modern Warfare for a month. It's the only way to change their egregious ways.
It's also the only way to have to re-download the whole game a month later, plus the patches. Great thinking.

Codes 208

And think of this: this wont improve with next gen. If the next cod launches with the same amount of memory needed (with next gen running higher quality assets, this shouldnt be shocking)

you’ll have a single game that takes up about 1/4 of your SSD

Last edited:
It's also the only way to have to re-download the whole game a month later, plus the patches. Great thinking.

You could always say, "Fuck this shit!" and don't redownload COD Modern Warfare at all with Ghost of Tsushima and The Last of Us 2 coming out in the next two months.

Night.Ninja

Banned
These update are ridiculous, this can not happen next gen.

I still don’t understand why I need to put the MW disc in to play BR. It’s fuckin annoying. Is there another way around it?

Delete the game if you only play warzone then down load warzone , that should work.

Batiman

Banned
These update are ridiculous, this can not happen next gen.

Delete the game if you only play warzone then down load warzone , that should work.
I haven’t played in a while but when I found war zone on the store page and tried to download it, it recognized I had mw and made me install the whole game through disc.

Last edited:

Belmonte

Ridiculous. What I need to do is finish the main campaign ASAP and uninstall the game.

I liked the multiplayer, and wanted it to be my go to military multiplayer FPS for the next year but this size is ridiculous. I can install 4 AAA games with that space!

At the moment I need to choose between COD or Witcher 3 + Ace Combat 7 + DMC5 + Doom. You are asking too much, Modern Warfare!

Last edited:

LostDonkey

It's a big size but it's a big game.

That War zone map is incredible size wise when you get down to it. It's about 15 full size MP maps stitched together plus all the height of the tall buildings and vehicles thrown in.

LostDonkey

Over 210gb. That's ridiculous. I only have a tb on the x and its only got 300gb free which ain't shit these days. I don't want to buy an external, especially this late in the gen. I would have replaced the internal one if it was allowed.

I haven't had an X in my possession yet. Are you sure you can't change the internal HDD?

They said you couldn't with the Original One but I've done plenty of HDD swaps for people it's just under the heat shield. You just need a Torx set.

SleepDoctor

Banned
I haven't had an X in my possession yet. Are you sure you can't change the internal HDD?

They said you couldn't with the Original One but I've done plenty of HDD swaps for people it's just under the heat shield. You just need a Torx set.

Im sure i probably could (never looked it up) but it would void the warranty unlike the ps4.

Most of the big CoD youtubers agree with you. They freely admit they're only playing it for the views and if they didn't have to, they wouldn't. It's better on the old maps they've introduced, but that's not saying much. Most of the maps that shipped with the game are comically bad.

No no no my pal. That's the cod cycle of grief working its magic. Happens every year. The reception was superior to every cod since BO3, and if you include Warzone, well, then it's really no contest with any recent COD

No no no my pal. That's the cod cycle of grief working its magic. Happens every year. The reception was superior to every cod since BO3, and if you include Warzone, well, then it's really no contest with any recent COD
I'm sorry, but that's just not true. The youtubers I'm referring to are in agreement that it's absolute garbage. I and others have been saying it in the OT from the beginning. They aren't saying it's worse than BO4. They're saying it's the worst CoD EVER. Now, this pertains to 6 vs 6, traditional TDM, what CoD has always been about.

The response to Warzone has been overwhelmingly positive, bar the cheating. But you can play it for free. And the campaign was okay. But TDM? Horrible.

Top Bottom