• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Annoyed at no Splinter Cell

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Probably cant figure out a way to monetize it.
This.

Not the ideal game to ram with resource and weapon packs and skins so ip doesn't exist to them.

Current Ubi wouldn't be able to make a solid splinter cell now anyway it would just end up being a hand holding simulator not a stealth game.
Looks like they were thinking way ahead of us.

9RvyxfX.jpg

I have to agree. It hurts doubly so when you consider that: 1. Metal Gear Solid shit the bed. Hard. 2. Besides the Hitman games, what other real stealth games exist? I believe there are two Styx games, but that’s about it. I guess Mark Of The Ninja Remastered?

Nigel

We're not getting a new Splinter Cell because Ubisoft are chasing the live service model. I can see it failing for them; as it has for many others. Splinter Cell is a hard game to put into a live service model or into an open world environment; characteristics that permeate all Ubisoft projects. They're now worse than EA. Ubisoft are absolutely soulless and cynical - they can go fuck themselves.

CitizenZ

Banned
Well, no one bought the last one and it undersold what is needed to keep the lights on, so stop already. If they release it ok, if they dont ok. You can find plenty of games to sneak up on enemies staring at a wall not moving.

MGSV tried the stealth mtx model with mixed reception, and when Konami went all win with MGS it failed.

Hitman tried it too didn't work.

You can't really monetize stealth games, at least not well designed ones outside mobile.

Concern

Well, no one bought the last one and it undersold what is needed to keep the lights on, so stop already. If they release it ok, if they dont ok. You can find plenty of games to sneak up on enemies staring at a wall not moving.

Really? I bought every Splinter cell. Granted the last two weren't very popular but I figured it did well enough.

A new one is long overdue. But Ubisoft focusing on service games now.

CitizenZ

Banned
Really? I bought every Splinter cell. Granted the last two weren't very popular but I figured it did well enough.

A new one is long overdue. But Ubisoft focusing on service games now.

Look, Im a fan of the game but they have introduced and excluded a lot of the mechanics into their other franchises for better and worse. Its just a name, get over it.

Top-tier stealth is still stealth. The unfortunate fact is the stealth genre never do the sales numbers publishers want them to do. I imagine the addressable market for a open world action title is far far higher than for a hardcore stealth title. So unless you want them to turn splinter cell into some kind of open-world action hybrid (similar to what Assassin's creed has become), it's best forget about the series for now.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
The most realistic way for stealth (Splinter Cell) to return is via asymmetric open world multiplayer.

Picture a Battle Royale esque game where a character class is underpowered in terms of DPS but has greater awareness and ability to traverse places the more action oriented character classes can't.

The Last of Us II was by order of magnitude the most expensive stealth game ever created and it did OK. These publishers have no interest in that equation.

Ubisoft knows the stealth player base is 20 percent the size of the action (The Division) player base. It makes financial sense to wrangle the smaller population in that way.

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

I see a lot of people keep asking if the devs had any plans for the game related to the Kestrel. So I'll write this post what I found so far.

Splinter Cell Blacklist was a financial failure, so Ubisoft decided to stop post-release support for the game. This means no patches anymore or possible DLCs. But the devs originally planned the DLC during the development and I have proof on it.

This thread contains small COOP story spoilers!

As we know Sam and Briggs after completing the 4th COOP story mission rescued VORON's agent named Kestrel who was in a coma. This is where his story ends, leaving only hints of his future fate.

The first I managed to find in the game files (in the conversation.xml which contains all the game's subtitles) are a few lines about recovering the VORON's agent from a coma on the Paladin. Grim says that the Kestrel's up and awake in the infirmary and ready to talk. Sam goes to the hospital area and asks how Kestrel is feeling, but Mikhail is suspicious of the Americans. Considering what happened to him earlier. After some time Kestrel becomes more accommodating and tells Sam everything he knows and asks for help. This is the plot for the planned DLC.

These lines were even voiced by actor Alex Ivanovici:

The second what I found was his playable model. I'm talking about the playable model (not the NPC), because there are three of them (Sam, Briggs and Kestrel). In the game there is a difference between game models only in the head, i.e. the model of the suit is the same for everyone. After a little tweaking in the PEC.ini file I changed Sam's texture to Kestrel to see how he looks like.

There are also several lines in the loc-int.umd file confirming that Kestrel is a teammate in COOP mode.

And the last confirmation proving that the devs originally planned post-release support for the game as DLC (as downloadable content like The Insurgency Pack for Splinter Cell Conviction, not as unlockable disk content). If you follow the link to slide 4 and zooming on 400% of the official developer presentation for GDC, you can see the Kestrel head DLC in COOP section. This slide also confirm 75-sp1 pistol as DLC and 8 ADV maps were planned:

https://www.gdcvault.com/play/1020212/Super-Spy-Crash-Course-Teaching

Kestrel's 4 missions had a new type Assassination (2 missions of the Hunter and 2 missions of the Ghost) confirmed by the SC6EconomyMatrix.xlsm file in the COOP Missions tab (which can be found on game directory if you install the game version 1.00 without patches), it contains information about the game's economy, weapons, missions, etc and the loc-int.umd file which also contains some lines.

Last edited:

Strider311

Is that YouTube telling you, or have you actually bought it ?. While I agree its nothing on the 360 games, its far from terrible and on the Series X plays really nice now too
I… I actually liked Breakpoint. Also, personal opinion: Blacklist and Conviction are actually the best in the series, but Chaos Theory is great. I revisit both regularly.

I… I actually liked Breakpoint. Also, personal opinion: Blacklist and Conviction are actually the best in the series, but Chaos Theory is great. I revisit both regularly.
I think they've all been good games. I wish they would go back to being more linear and with the big set pieces like on the 360, but they're still good games. It really is time too that Ubisoft brought back Splinter cell

Ozrimandias

I was you some time ago, I waited for every E3 for years for the announcement of a new Splinter Cell, but as time has passed ... Rainbow Six has practically transformed it into a Fortnite, Ubisoft games has bad mechanics, microtransactions, mediocre quality in many of their games, AI broken, graphics quality below average, always openworld .... I really wish that Ubisoft did not launch a new Splinter Cell. In fact, Ubisoft has prostituted and degenerated the Tom Clancy franchise, with the recent Xdefiant announcement as the lowest point.

Scotty W

Gold Member
I wish that the makers of Splinter Cell, Mirrors Edge and Prince of Persia would make an Alladin game.

LordCBH

Unfortunately there’s no room for splinter cell when they’re releasing live service games that have an 80% chance of failing.

Javthusiast

Banned
Stealth games in general are dead, outside of indie games or shoddy stealth mechanics clumsily added on top of non stealth games.

I need my Splinter Cell/MGS third person stealth game fix.

ksdixon

Wasn't there a retailer webpage leak? Must have been at least a year ago by now. I've been expecting one to turn up for a while, but it never has.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Looking back on Splinter Cell: Conviction today feels like seeing a time-capsule, which is reminiscent of all things wrong with seventh-generation game design in many ways.

However, the vigor with which the developers designed the game around evolving Splinter Cell’s brand of stealth as a much faster and more dynamic take is what most importantly makes Splinter Cell: Conviction a good game, if not what one hell of a game for some fans.

SLB1904

Banned
Ubisoft already said they are going free to play so yeah let it go. I remember that ghost recon splinter cell crossover where Sam mention is the only one left... didn't age well

Top Bottom