• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AnimeAddictsAssociated of NeoGAF - Top Three Selections

saintjules

Out of all the people I mentioned in the opening post. saintjules saintjules is the only one who hasn't showed up. I'm guessing the anime avatar was only for show?

Sorry, been busy with work. I haven't been much into Anime for a couple of years now. Kenshin was one of my more favorite shows that I've experienced over the years.

The problem was it was beginning to become hard to keep up with alot of series that been pumping out quite quickly. No excuses of course haha. In my early days I bought everything on DVD and then it became too expensive for me to keep it as a hobby as I wanted to have a physical collection. I went to digital, but soon after other hobbies became more of the forefront for me.

I may not be the guy you'd be looking for on here, but I appreciate alot of the older Anime shows like Kenshin, Dirty Pair Flash, Bebop, Outlaw Star, Blue Seed, etc. Just haven't kept up anymore.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Sorry, been busy with work. I haven't been much into Anime for a couple of years now. Kenshin was one of my more favorite shows that I've experienced over the years.

The problem was it was beginning to become hard to keep up with alot of series that been pumping out quite quickly. No excuses of course haha. In my early days I bought everything on DVD and then it became too expensive for me to keep it as a hobby as I wanted to have a physical collection. I went to digital, but soon after other hobbies became more of the forefront for me.

I may not be the guy you'd be looking for on here, but I appreciate alot of the older Anime shows like Kenshin, Dirty Pair Flash, Bebop, Outlaw Star, Blue Seed, etc. Just haven't kept up anymore.
You remembered Blue Seed! If I had more than 3 , I may have said the same.

F8MJ6KJ.gif

qK6nI05.gif

bkqhH9Q.gif

Kusanagi was something else...

No worries my man, I assumed you would be into it more due to the avatar. Do you have a extremely busy job? If so then I can't imagine you squeezing in anime episodes, I can understand falling out. Doom85 Doom85 is another guy who's had a huge collection of anime and decided to stop.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
No worries my man, I assumed you would be into it more due to the avatar. Do you have a extremely busy job? If so then I can't imagine you squeezing in anime episodes, I can understand falling out. Doom85 Doom85 is another guy who's had a huge collection of anime and decided to stop.

Speaking of anime collections just managed to nab this today.

kV1hF3c.jpg
vHgkulY.jpg
PXBIlxX.jpg
wTOuv76.jpg

Really did enjoy it, even if the second season AO (which il never buy) shat the bed with the franchise, movies are pretty good though...

Another mecha series to add to my collection

bomI0wH.jpg

Did I mention I like Gundam...

Last edited:

Doom85

Doom85 Doom85 is another guy who's had a huge collection of anime and decided to stop.

Oh sorry, let me clarify. I still buy a decent amount of anime BRs each year, it’s just not at the absurd amount it was for me back in the day. I’ll also usually get a few for my birthday and Christmas as well as my parents are still big spenders on my sister and I even though we’re in our 30s now (last year’s birthday I got the Konosuba Season 2 BR. Can‘t remember what I got for last Christmas but I’m sure I got a few. This year’s birthday no anime BRs, but I did get the book that the great anime film The Night is Short, Walk on Girl was based on).

saintjules

I work for the government, do music production and side hustle gig for extra $. I can barely watch any TV, let alone gaming these days. I'm in the process of closing on a Condo too. Maybe some day I'll have some down time 🤣

kV1hF3c.jpg
vHgkulY.jpg
PXBIlxX.jpg
wTOuv76.jpg

Really did enjoy it, even if the second season AO (which il never buy) shat the bed with the franchise, movies are pretty good though...

bomI0wH.jpg

You wanted a 5 year old magazine? Also, more Gundam? This crap is getting out of hand.
Want me to recommend you some more anime? :p
Keep my thread alive, it's on it's last legs.
I work for the government
horatio-caine-yeah.gif

Keep alive for another 5 ;)
I'm afraid that's not really possible, the thread's flame is pretty much diminished now. My fictitious couples thread reached three thousand views, but this one has the most replies thus far of all of mine. Clearly it had an impact on the anime community and I'm pleased to have bought some happiness to my fellow NeoGAFers.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
I'm afraid that's not really possible, the thread's flame is pretty much diminished now. My fictitious couples thread reached three thousand views, but this one has the most replies thus far of all of mine. Clearly it had an impact on the anime community and I'm pleased to have bought some happiness to my fellow NeoGAFers.
This thread brought out the best of GAFs anime community. Who knows when someone will go back to the OP and catch the arrow. Either way, it helped give a boost to the anime threads likewise.

VVCwknP.gif

Last edited:

kunonabi

Well if the thread is going to die anyway I'm going to put down my favorite anime films:

Studio Ghibli

1. Spirited Away
2. The Wind Rises
3. Whisper of the Heart
4. Porco Rosso
5. My Neighbors the Yamadas

Non-Ghibli

Sea Prince and the Fire Child
Ghost in the Shell
Your Name
Tokyo Godfathers
Lupin III: The Mystery of Mamo

I grew up with Sea Prince so it might be of a more of a nostalgia pick than anything but it's my list so whatever.

kunonabi

Likewise with kunonabi kunonabi my favorite anime movies:

1. A Wind Called Amnesia
uGPm5Fl.gif

2. Wicked City
sORNIk2.gif

3. NeoTokyo
CN2LtKn.gif

4. Vampire Hunter D & Bloodlust (double billing it)
vSSCEoP.gif

5. Lupin the lll: Farewell to Nostradamus
FOAOsFZ.gif
I finally own vampire Hunter D so I should actually watch it one of these days.

It checks like every box of something I'd want to see but I always managed to miss it somehow

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
I finally own vampire Hunter D so I should actually watch it one of these days.

It checks like every box of something I'd want to see but I always managed to miss it somehow
You think you're behind on seeing the first or Bloodlust? I just got around to watching the last remaster of D in July...this year. Bloodlust I still had the U.V. release that was in a blood red case and chocked with extras. I didn't set my expectations high but they were both amazing.

kunonabi

You think you're behind on seeing the first or Bloodlust? I just got around to watching the last remaster of D in July...this year. Bloodlust I still had the U.V. release that was in a blood red case and chocked with extras. I didn't set my expectations high but they were both amazing.
Haven't seen either. I'm a big vampire guy but I sort of fell out of them for a bit since vampire media got really crappy for awhile. Didn't get back into them until Shiki which ended up being fantastic despite the hair.

Well if the thread is going to die anyway I'm going to put down my favorite anime films:

Studio Ghibli

1. Spirited Away
2. The Wind Rises
3. Whisper of the Heart
4. Porco Rosso
5. My Neighbors the Yamadas

Non-Ghibli

Sea Prince and the Fire Child
Ghost in the Shell
Your Name
Tokyo Godfathers
Lupin III: The Mystery of Mamo

I grew up with Sea Prince so it might be of a more of a nostalgia pick than anything but it's my list so whatever.
Some familiar Ghibli submission and I'm pleased to see 'Whisper of the Heart' which is underrated in my opinion. Surprised you didn't mention Grave of the Fireflies or My Neighbour Totoro, but I'm aware they're not to everybody's liking.
Likewise with kunonabi kunonabi my favorite anime movies:

1. A Wind Called Amnesia
uGPm5Fl.gif
What is going on here lol, checking his fever?

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Some familiar Ghibli submission and I'm pleased to see 'Whisper of the Heart' which is underrated in my opinion. Surprised you didn't mention Grave of the Fireflies or My Neighbour Totoro, but I'm aware they're not to everybody's liking.

What is going on here lol, checking his fever?
There are plenty more GIFs from a Wind Called Amensia but many NSFW. Hideyuki Kikuchi wrote some of the best mangas (many apapted to film in the 1980's and 90's like:

Demon City Shinjuku
A Wind Called Amensia
Wicked City
Vampire Hunter D

Most had directional input in their film adaptations by the infamous Yoshiaki Kawajiri

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Those anime aren’t even that old lol. We’ve seen submissions from the 60/70s for crying out loud so something from the late 90s isn’t that bad. Both of those were on the numerous anime lists I reviewed.
There were some decent titles that came out in the 90's. Production value of the Record of Lodoss War the OVA was amazing. I'm sure you've read about why 80's anime was so solid and well remembered had to do with the economical bubble in Japan. I mean, OVAs which were D-grade were getting budgets. The 90's may be remembered not so much for story but mid-90's the quality of most anime declined greatly due to lack of a budget being put in. That's why it's amazing that we did get a few in the late 90's like Berserk and Cowboy Bebop which were actually well budgeted and produced.

I’m surprised to see you’ve taken actual photographs of your anime titles as I can see my name on the screen. Though I must admit, have you considered upgrading to Blu Ray? I haven’t watched DVD in a long time and forgotten what the quality looks like.

Tams

Gold Member

kV1hF3c.jpg
vHgkulY.jpg
PXBIlxX.jpg
wTOuv76.jpg

bomI0wH.jpg

I only watched the original show. The bad reviews of AO put me off, and although I did see posters and cut out figurines for the films, I never did go see them.

Blu Ray copies of these anime can't be that expensive. Can they? Ask Doom85 Doom85 for some deals lol.
1. Naruto/Naruto Shippuuden (Without filler) On the surface, a very action oriented, one dimensional series. In reality, an incredible amount or rich lore, expert foreshadowing, character development, conflict… It’s all there. The action is the icing on the cake.

2. Monster If you are in to mystery, drama, psychological horror, and even thrillers… Without spoiling too much, by the very end…. Wow…Just don’t miss this one.

3. Berserk If you don’t know, now you know.
We have more votes for Monster and Berserk, as well as Naruto. Monster is the one that I'm most definitely going to check out when the time comes. It's been mentioned here and on several of the lists I posted.

Last edited:

Elbereth

1. Naruto/Naruto Shippuuden (Without filler) On the surface, a very action oriented, one dimensional series. In reality, an incredible amount or rich lore, expert foreshadowing, character development, conflict… It’s all there. The action is the icing on the cake.

2. Monster If you are in to mystery, drama, psychological horror, and even thrillers… Without spoiling too much, by the very end…. Wow…Just don’t miss this one.

3. Berserk If you don’t know, now you know.

This thread is on life support now, there hasn't been a response since a day ago. I'm guessing it will fade into obscurity soon, but man has it been some fun.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
I mean the 3 series limit kind of does put a damper on things.
That was it...
But it made things interesting and more insightful with the recommendations. This thread could be used a point of reference for those who were looking into anime. Less quantity more quality my man.
You know, you could always go back and edit the OP to give like 10 choices...

That was it...

You know, you could always go back and edit the OP to give like 10 choices...
I'm not sure I would agree with that sentiment. The three selections didn't stop the thread from flourishing, it's my most viewed and responded to thus far. And I don't think changing the OP is going to do much use now lol, the thread has run it's course. We're the last remaining few raising a few glasses in honour of the old gal.

Ballthyrm

There is a lot of my favorite that have already been listed.
So I won't give my absolute top3, but a Top 3 I wouldn't be surprised if someone had it.

Some anime I like that are one of a kind and worth a watch.

Ping Pong the Animation

MV5BYWI3ZDU2MDgtYTBkYy00ZDFkLWIxZDYtODQxZjYxNDE1OTljL2ltYWdlL2ltYWdlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTAyODkwOQ@@._V1_.jpg

A great character study by Masaaki Yuasa with some of the best Squash and stretch animation out there.
It uses the standard sport sub-genre and play on all its tropes. It's really a good and quick watch.

Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS Team

66133075-e9e5-4903-a3b3-2719d3dc9a95

Probably the most realistic gundam serie, you get everything that make gundam great plus a sense of scale that is missing in all the other series.
It plays like a Vietnam movie and it really feel like that's what the authors were aiming for.

Sakamichi no Apollon (Kids on the Slope)

sakamichi.jpg

Shinichiro Watanabe love letter to music and to jazz. Worth a watch just to look on how precise all their animation are (they actually match the music being played)
The plot is very basic but that's not why we are watching, you are watching people grow in their personnality and their love of music.
They didn't cut any corner in either the music or the animation.

Last edited:

bootaski

Well these aren't shows but people should definitely watch them:

1. Macross Plus (4 part OVA) - A love triangle drama set in the robotech/macross universe directed by Shoji Kawamori and Shinichiro Watanabe. Best anime ever, imo. Hard to find - I think you can get the dvds used on ebay.

2. Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence - Sequel to Mamoru Oshii's first Ghost in the Shell film. Not quite as good, but still great.

3. Berserk: The Golden Age Arc films - if you want to be in equal parts emotionally moved, captivated, disturbed, horrified, and uplifted.

Last edited:
We have some fresh blood on the thread and I'm for it.
Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS Team

66133075-e9e5-4903-a3b3-2719d3dc9a95
It absolutely never ends, I'm shocked at how many submissions there have been. STARSBarry STARSBarry , check this shit out.

1. Macross Plus (4 part OVA) - A love triangle drama set in the robotech/macross universe directed by Shoji Kawamori and Shinichiro Watanabe. Best anime ever, imo. Hard to find - I think you can get the dvds used on ebay.

2. Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence - Sequel to Mamoru Oshii's first Ghost in the Shell film. Not quite as good, but still great.

3. Berserk: The Golden Age Arc films - if you want to be in equal parts emotionally moved, captivated, disturbed, horrified, and uplifted.
More GINS and Berserk votes. Many users on here hold Berserk in extremely high regard.

kunonabi

Innocence is so underrated. Obviously it's not as impressive visually and focusing on Batou was risky but narratively it's arguably a little stronger than the first.

bootaski

Blu Ray copies of these anime can't be that expensive. Can they? Ask Doom85 Doom85 for some deals lol.

We have more votes for Monster and Berserk, as well as Naruto. Monster is the one that I'm most definitely going to check out when the time comes. It's been mentioned here and on several of the lists I posted.

Is monster available to buy or stream legally? It's been in licensing hell for quite some time.

kunonabi

Is monster available to buy or stream legally? It's been in licensing hell for quite some time.
As far as the US goes I think they just announced that it is coming to Netflix. What form that takes I don't know. The previous dub wasn't allowed to use the original score so it was pretty much a waste.

Last edited:

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Keep bumping this, eh? In that case, you'll get my all-time favorite OVAs:

1. Dragon Half : OVA (2-episodes) and IMO one of the best anime comedies
coEnIYU.gif
PUQK5di.gif

2. Record of Lodoss War OVA
6IKmJJn.gif
79NoiC6.gif

3. Crusher Joe OVA & Movie

r3ud6Tm.gif
UOxzzYL.gif

rogr rogr

1- Berserk '97
2- Cowboy Bebop
3- Yuyu hakusho

As I've said elsewhere...everything else will feel sub par after these 3.

Last edited:
Top Bottom