• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anime/Manga Community

Nani?

• WRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • Muda Muda Muda!

Votes: 45 22.2%
  • B..baka!

Votes: 77 37.9%
  • Why yes I like isekai!

Votes: 8 3.9%
  • Anime Thor

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I'm here for the plot!

Votes: 37 18.2%

• Total voters

Doom85

Finished

Demon Slayer Manga: A

Next up

The Promised Neverland Manga

Going to start reading these too

Dr Stone
My Hero Academia
One Piece
Spy X Family
Food Wars
Blue Box
Boruto
Chainsaw Man
Choujin X
Deadman Wonderland
Hunter X Hunter
Nisekoi
Samurai 8
Toyko Ghoul
The Way Of The House Husband

Happy Excuse Me GIF

Most people would have to dedicate 6-12 months, if not more, to read all of One Piece, and you’re just casually putting it as only one series on a fairly big list.

So Cool Wow GIF by ABC Network

Happy Excuse Me GIF

Most people would have to dedicate 6-12 months, if not more, to read all of One Piece, and you’re just casually putting it as only one series on a fairly big list.

So Cool Wow GIF by ABC Network

I can probably read One Piece in a week or 2 :p

As for my fairly big list, that's not even its final form

Last edited:

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Around Chapter 47 in The Promised Neverland Manga

Loving it so far
After they escape the Farm stop reading. You've been warned. It's good until that point then it just gets worse and worse.

Been reading Maison Ikkoku, I find enjoyment in it as a side piece but I could never imagine trying to power through this, it's a whole load of nothing really. I picked up what's been printed of Heavenly Delusion and I've been enjoying that more but I never went into that expecting body swapping and homosexuality so casually. Really fucking good though, I hope that Production I.G. does a good job adapting it.

Doom85

I finished reading Kaguya: love is war which ended last week, I really liked it. I also watched Castle in the sky, which was amazing and is one of my favourites now.

I actually started reading the Kaguya manga*, up to the start of Vol. 3. I saw Season 1 when it aired, but haven’t got around to S2 or 3 yet. I‘ll probably read first and then watch the anime after.

*taking a brief break from the Golden Kamuy manga as I’m on Vol. 22 and 28-31 haven’t been released in English yet, should take about a year, so I’m avoiding getting fully caught up as I generally prefer taking breaks on my terms over being forced to wait for the next volume

The_hunter

I actually started reading the Kaguya manga*, up to the start of Vol. 3. I saw Season 1 when it aired, but haven’t got around to S2 or 3 yet. I‘ll probably read first and then watch the anime after.

*taking a brief break from the Golden Kamuy manga as I’m on Vol. 22 and 28-31 haven’t been released in English yet, should take about a year, so I’m avoiding getting fully caught up as I generally prefer taking breaks on my terms over being forced to wait for the next volume
I can say the story of Kaguya is consistently good. Both the manga and anime are good versions. The anime has more proper character art with more abstract backgrounds and scene compositions, which suit the dialogue heavy nature of Kaguya. The voice acting is also great and brings the characters to life. Normally I don't watch the anime version if I read the manga, but for Kaguya it's worth it.

I noticed this week that Apple 4k TV Crunchyroll is missing several shows.
I switched to the PS5 Crunchyroll app and they are there.
What is going on here?
Conspiracy time- Sony owns Crunchyroll, Is this a form of exclusives?

After they escape the Farm stop reading. You've been warned. It's good until that point then it just gets worse and worse.

Been reading Maison Ikkoku, I find enjoyment in it as a side piece but I could never imagine trying to power through this, it's a whole load of nothing really. I picked up what's been printed of Heavenly Delusion and I've been enjoying that more but I never went into that expecting body swapping and homosexuality so casually. Really fucking good though, I hope that Production I.G. does a good job adapting it.

The Promised Neverland Manga: B+

Good manga but the first Arc of the manga is the best

Was wondering what's your issue with the manga?

Ok my fellow weebs, otakus. I still can't get over how good was Violet Evergarden. (Specially after watching Rings of Power and be so baffled at how bad it was).

Is there another anime at the same quality as Violet?. I am craving some good eye sweat.

NahaNago

watched that one piece red movie and found it to be disappointing. It was pretty at times and I enjoyed the music but the fight scenes were too hectic to keep track of what was going on. Probably one of the most disappointing one piece movies I've see. I'd give it a rating of C. I really wish that they had created a different story and they need a different director to handle the action. If your a fan of one piece go ahead and watch it. Even Shanks was somewhat disappointing in this movie.

Anyone else watched Classroom of the elite?

The anime is horrible. So many people were shocked they announced a season 2 without remaking season 1, which was viewed very negatively in Japan. Now they've even announced a season 3 after the garbage that was season 2.

So one knows where they're going with the anime, with it changing characters personalities and actions, most of all Ayanokoji who they've made into a very different person. Which has lead to a lot of plot holes and questionable character interactions opening up, which will only be worsened in a season 3 as it builds on it.

All I can recommend is just reading the novel from the beginning instead.

Last edited:

Happosai

Hold onto your panties

Sorry for the late reply. Maison Ikkoku is one of Rumiko's best mangas. I used to have two printings, one was large paperback...almost magazine print full color. The other the standard VIZ prints. Too bad the anime has been neglected by VIZ and left oop in the DVD era.

kiiltz

Do we use MAL or Anilist here? Or perhaps true autists that use Excel spreadsheets?

Havent updated anime in a while. Mainly been reading lately. Need to quit with the Isekai trash.

Unrelated has anyone read the AV actor reincarnated in another world? Fascinating stuff.

kiiltz

kiiltz kiiltz here’s my MAL profile. I haven’t updated it since spring 2021. After a quick overview I would revise the scores of half the series on my list. I feel an X/10 score does not represent my opinions about a lof of animes.

Damn son, basically twice the amount of time I have, I need to up my numbers. I should have broken 100 days a while ago but was too busy being a normie and recently have just been reading.

My scores are kind of shit too tbh and it also doesn’t help that I have pretty shit taste. I just try to save the 8-10s for stuff I really and might rewatch/read later.

Damn son, basically twice the amount of time I have, I need to up my numbers. I should have broken 100 days a while ago but was too busy being a normie and recently have just been reading.

My scores are kind of shit too tbh and it also doesn’t help that I have pretty shit taste. I just try to save the 8-10s for stuff I really and might rewatch/read later.
I’ve been watching one anime or another since the mid-90s, that helps with the numbers ^^

I need to update that list.

Labolas

Finished another manga.
Monster Collection: The Girl who Can Deal With Magic Monsters
iu

Plot summary (from CMX): Kasche may have a talent for controlling beasts, but she's got a lot to learn about self-control before she can become a full-fledged summoner. When disaster strikes, her principal chooses her to avert it.
Joined by an unusual crew of allies both human and not, Kasche must recapture the relic from an evil summoner before she can use it to unlock the ancient Encyclopedia Verum and call up the most powerful monsters ever seen.

If you want a Slayers style manga with interesting lore and monsters then this is the manga for you. This was conceived in 90's, particularly in 97. The english distribution of the manga was handled by a now defunct company called CMX, which was owned by DC comics. The story follows a novice monster summoner, Kasche Arbadel, who is trying tracked down who stolen the Encyclopedia Verum and stop them before they call upon god-like creatures.

As you can probably I tell I love almost everything about this manga. Art is fantastic and lore and worldbuilding are great as well. The monsters look great and are otherworldly. The character designs have that 90s fantasy anime artstyle to them. Kasche, herself, is the best human design character in the series. Her look really unique and memorable. The world itself is pretty fleshed out as well. The fanservice is pretty good as well. But boy the mangaka did a great job with the art.

iu
iu
5a6d8346f6a318aa3019f591b878b4aa.jpg

The only real criticism is Kasche and her crew don't get any real development. Kasche doesn't really her big moment until near the end of manga. Hell, I think the villains a bit more nuanced than the main leads. Also I felt like that this manga could gone on for way longer, the manga is only 6 volumes and is a pretty short read. Outside that one real criticism, I think the manga is fantastic and I would definitely recommend it. Although limited and rare you can still buy this online. (8.5/10)

Last edited:

kiiltz

Finished another manga.
iu

Plot summary (from CMX): Kasche may have a talent for controlling beasts, but she's got a lot to learn about self-control before she can become a full-fledged summoner. When disaster strikes, her principal chooses her to avert it.
Joined by an unusual crew of allies both human and not, Kasche must recapture the relic from an evil summoner before she can use it to unlock the ancient Encyclopedia Verum and call up the most powerful monsters ever seen.

If you want a Slayers style manga with interesting lore and monsters then this is the manga for you. This was conceived in 90's, particularly in 97. The english distribution of the manga was handled by a now defunct company called CMX, which was owned by DC comics. The story follows a novice monster summoner, Kasche Arbadel, who is trying tracked down who stolen the Encyclopedia Verum and stop them before they call upon god-like creatures.

As you can probably I tell I love almost everything about this manga. Art is fantastic and lore and worldbuilding are great as well. The monsters look great and are otherworldly. The character designs have that 90s fantasy anime artstyle to them. Kasche, herself, is the best human design character in the series. Her look really unique and memorable. The world itself is pretty fleshed out as well. The fanservice is pretty good as well. But boy the mangaka did a great job with the art.

iu
iu

The only real criticism is Kasche and her crew don't get any real development. Kasche doesn't really her big moment until near the end of manga. Hell, I think the villains a bit more nuanced than the main leads. Also I felt like that this manga could gone on for way longer, the manga is only 6 volumes and is a pretty short read. Outside that one real criticism, I think the manga is fantastic and I would definitely recommend it. Although limited and rare you can still buy this online. (8.5/10)
That looks good. Reminds me a bit of Chrno Crusade, one of my all time favourites. Gonna check this one out 👍

Last edited:

Doom85

Do we use MAL or Anilist here? Or perhaps true autists that use Excel spreadsheets?

Havent updated anime in a while. Mainly been reading lately. Need to quit with the Isekai trash.

Unrelated has anyone read the AV actor reincarnated in another world? Fascinating stuff.

Here’s mine. I think it’s mostly complete, though I’m pretty sure I occasionally forget to add a show when I finish it. I also usually don’t bother adding a show until I finish it (for those who follow my Chainsaw Man OT wondering why the hell the creator of the thread isn’t even watching the show if they saw it not on my profile yet, LOL).

kiiltz

Honestly, I do the same. Makes me end up forgetting what I'm watching and where I'm up to cos I frequently dip out. I try to be a bit more vigilant with manga.

My scores are kinda whack but I think I remember the rule of thumb I go by now.

10 = All time personal faves and objectively good.
9 = Something I thoroughly enjoy and is well made.
8 = Liked and would rewatch
7 = Liked and finished, wouldn't necessarily rewatch.
6 = I'm still reading/watching it or finished it.
5 = Still reading/watching but I don't necessarily like it.

Previously I didn't really give out 4s and below unless it's something I dropped but I've laxing on that rule lately. If I finish something and give it less than 5 then usually it means it's done something to personally offend me.

Really, I'd like to to give two scores; a personal and an objective one. My 6-7 bracket is a cesspool of stuff that don't really deserve to be next to each other kek.

Doom85

Honestly, I do the same. Makes me end up forgetting what I'm watching and where I'm up to cos I frequently dip out. I try to be a bit more vigilant with manga.

My scores are kinda whack but I think I remember the rule of thumb I go by now.

10 = All time personal faves and objectively good.
9 = Something I thoroughly enjoy and is well made.
8 = Liked and would rewatch
7 = Liked and finished, wouldn't necessarily rewatch.
6 = I'm still reading/watching it or finished it.
5 = Still reading/watching but I don't necessarily like it.

Previously I didn't really give out 4s and below unless it's something I dropped but I've laxing on that rule lately. If I finish something and give it less than 5 then usually it means it's done something to personally offend me.

Really, I'd like to to give two scores; a personal and an objective one. My 6-7 bracket is a cesspool of stuff that don't really deserve to be next to each other kek.

Yeah, I imagine my average score (8.2) overall might seem “high” to some, but I think it’s because I rarely finish something I would rate 6 or lower. And I don’t really feel right scoring a show I didn’t complete, because there is on occasion a show that really has a major bump in quality despite a rough start.

I don’t try to overly think my scores though. At the end of the day, I like what I like, you know?

Nankatsu

Blue Lock is freaking amazing. Bachira's goal in episode 9 is the national anthem of soccer anime animation.

Last edited:

I use Anilist because I find it easier to find the sequels.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Finished another manga.
iu

iu
iu

The only real criticism is Kasche and her crew don't get any real development. Kasche doesn't really her big moment until near the end of manga. Hell, I think the villains a bit more nuanced than the main leads. Also I felt like that this manga could gone on for way longer, the manga is only 6 volumes and is a pretty short read. Outside that one real criticism, I think the manga is fantastic and I would definitely recommend it. Although limited and rare you can still buy this online. (8.5. /10)
Looks neat. Back in the day this would have had an ova adaptation

I rate simply based on how much I like a show and my PTW is huge. Been reading more than watching, I lean towards retro stuff anyways

Last edited:

kiiltz

PgSJkCX.png

Cute girl (Alya) speaks in Russian to hide her feelings.

Don’t really care for tsundere premise #84029827 but the art is cute and obviously the character was written entirely for Uesaka Sumire.

So I guess that means I’m reading it.

Astral Dog

My Hero Academia is so fun (i guess, for its 'genre' ) ignored for many years because i just didn't had any interest and thought it looked whatever, but last month finally decided to give it a chance and its now like one of my favorite Animes lol, yeah its a little cliche and repetitive but charming, action heavy and the premise is clever i like how it can get 'serious' without going the cynical tropes about superhero comic stuff, somehow they pull it off

I haven't even watched Chainsaw Man yet, everybody raved about Attack on Titan and i couldn't stand that show this one reminds me a little of it, (though it could be completely different idk) in general i prefer more lighthearted stuff with humor, though Chainsaw seems like it has some good stylish action, guys i wonder what im missing 🤭

Last edited:
Bleach: TYBW Part 1 is over. Man, what a godtier comeback. Bleach fans couldn't have asked for anything better. Pace and quality is fantastic.

They legit all went all in on the last arc. Can't wait for the next part.

Absolutely, I couldn't have said it better. Every single episode has blown me away with everything from the art to the colors, animations, voice acting, music, and scene direction. I LOVE that they took titles from chapters in the manga and made them episode titles that appear in creative ways. I'm glad Pierrot took their sweet time with this adapation and I'm eternally grateful to the hard work of everyone involved.
My Hero Academia is so fun (i guess, for its 'genre' ) ignored for many years because i just didn't had any interest and thought it looked whatever, but last month finally decided to give it a chance and its now like one of my favorite Animes lol, yeah its a little cliche and repetitive but charming, action heavy and the premise is clever i like how it can get 'serious' without going the cynical tropes about superhero comic stuff, somehow they pull it off

I haven't even watched Chainsaw Man yet, everybody raved about Attack on Titan and i couldn't stand that show this one reminds me a little of it, (though it could be completely different idk) in general i prefer more lighthearted stuff with humor, though Chainsaw seems like it has some good stylish action, guys i wonder what im missing 🤭
I'm not the biggest MHA fan around but damn I love the current season, it's very well written and full of action and neat character moments. In my opinion MHA does a superhero story better than anything produced by superhero movies or shows in recent years. The recent manga chapters have been an absolute blast as well.

Astral Dog

woah Doctor STONE is the craziest Anime i've watched all year! (😉) this show was written by a big nerd lol its quite awesome for (literally) a world made of stone 🗿 what a strange idea but they run with it and it delivers

(As expected Chainsaw Man didn't caught my attention for long, i understand its appeal and it has some stylish animation but its not for me at least i have to be in the mood to watch any more)

Last edited:

Labolas

Thoughts on Rurouni Kenshin coming back? Myself, personally, I never officially finished the series and this seems like a good opportunity to finish it.

Top Bottom