• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anime/Manga Community

Nani?

• WRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • Muda Muda Muda!

Votes: 45 22.2%
  • B..baka!

Votes: 77 37.9%
  • Why yes I like isekai!

Votes: 8 3.9%
  • Anime Thor

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I'm here for the plot!

Votes: 37 18.2%

• Total voters

drganon

Finished watching tokyo ghoul. It was an interesting but uneven show that felt like it was taking its time too much some episodes and other times rushing through things and introduced way too many characters.

Astral Dog

i moved to JuJutsu kaisen(?) and Black Clover(and rewatching Super) , huh not much to say about these two, they are charming. while the fights/enemies aren't as interesting as Demon, they are fun series, in notHarryPotter the main kid screams a lot but i got used to it

Doom85

Wasn't the ending kinda conclusive in the anime? Was there more to the story in the LN or Manga?

Never watched all of the first two seasons, but there are like 17 or so light novels IIRC, and I remember hearing only roughly the first five were adapted.

There is definitely more to tell as Spice and Wolf has to easily be one of the most requested for more seasons among the anime fandom to the point of being meme worthy.

Myself, I have a love/hate relationship with the series. Anytime Lawrence and Holo have to talk to other people about economics, I’m all:

Tired School GIF by Bounce

But when it’s just Lawrence and Holo talking amongst themselves, I’m all:

Will Smith Wow GIF by 1LIVE

Like they have to be in my top 5 favorite male/female interaction in anime. Up there with Issac and Miria from Baccano, Lelouch and C.C. from Code Geass, Kyon and Yuki from Haruhi Suzumiya, and I’d have to think about #5, I’m tempted to say Sakuta and Mai from Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai, but I don’t want to commit to that just yet.

Anyway, I’ll definitely check out this new installment for S&W even if part of the series doesn’t appeal to me personally.

The_hunter

Never watched all of the first two seasons, but there are like 17 or so light novels IIRC, and I remember hearing only roughly the first five were adapted.

There is definitely more to tell as Spice and Wolf has to easily be one of the most requested for more seasons among the anime fandom to the point of being meme worthy.

Myself, I have a love/hate relationship with the series. Anytime Lawrence and Holo have to talk to other people about economics, I’m all:

Tired School GIF by Bounce

But when it’s just Lawrence and Holo talking amongst themselves, I’m all:

Will Smith Wow GIF by 1LIVE

Like they have to be in my top 5 favorite male/female interaction in anime. Up there with Issac and Miria from Baccano, Lelouch and C.C. from Code Geass, Kyon and Yuki from Haruhi Suzumiya, and I’d have to think about #5, I’m tempted to say Sakuta and Mai from Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai, but I don’t want to commit to that just yet.

Anyway, I’ll definitely check out this new installment for S&W even if part of the series doesn’t appeal to me personally.
The reasons I like it is because of the renaissance setting. I think it's interesting to see a medieval story about traders, and the author also has a degree in economics, giving authenticity to the story. The economics stuff can be hard to follow, not gonna lie I had to look that stuff up after each arc.

Karmic Raze

Did anyone else buy The Complete Series of Bleach on digital this past weekend during the special sale for $99.99? It was all 366 episodes in HD too. I managed to get it. I have to watch 3/4 of it to catch up before Bleach comes back early next year.

Last edited:

Doom85

Watched "Occult Academy".

Overall pretty forgettable but gave me a few laughs.

Been a while since I've watched anime that was obviously in love/lust with its female mc.

Maya is peak waifu though.

LOL, I never got around to it, but that was always the reaction I heard from people who did watch it:

The show itself -

Meh Kinda GIF by Cultura

The main girl -

te amo hearts GIF by WE tv

Watched "Occult Academy".

Overall pretty forgettable but gave me a few laughs.

Been a while since I've watched anime that was obviously in love/lust with its female mc.

Maya is peak waifu though.

This anime was super fun, one of the best A1 ever made, wish more people remembered and watched this one.
That death in the end was one of the most epic in all anime.

"Pricing for Crunchyroll will remain unchanged".

Let's hope so.
I'm still miffed at the fuckery Sony pulled to get out of DOJ anti-trust investigations to buy Crunchyroll by claiming they were "cartoons" and not a specialty type of media.

I understand AT&T (Crunchyroll's old owner under Warner) was under huge amounts of debt but couldn't you find another buyer? AMC (the TV channel) bought Sentai so it's definitely something every media company wants a slice of.

Last edited:

Modrot

This anime was super fun, one of the best A1 ever made, wish more people remembered and watched this one.
That death in the end was one of the most epic in all anime.
I'm a bit on the fence on the ending, but considering everything that happened it was probably deserved.

Really disappointed we didn't get to see Maya and Bunmei in the new timeline though.

Doom85

That's a spicy opinion.

(I haven't played/read that yet so I don't have my own.)

I mean, personally Steins Gate is my 2nd favorite anime of the 2010’s decade after The Tatami Galaxy (mind you, there’s plenty of shows from then I still need to check out). So even though I haven’t watched Occult Academy yet, I doubt it will surpass Steins Gate for me personally. But to each their own, you know?

Hell, Steins Gate is the show I used to get my brother-in-law into anime. Got him the Blu-Ray of the whole series for Christmas as he prefers people to surprise him with gifts rather than make a list. After zooming through the show in just a few days, about a month later he and my sister visited (they live about 3 hours away so I see them every 1-2 months) he mentions that after finishing SG he also hopped on Netflix and had already watched Fate Zero and Fate UBW and like 80 episodes of Naruto. Like, damn.

The_hunter

I mean, personally Steins Gate is my 2nd favorite anime of the 2010’s decade after The Tatami Galaxy (mind you, there’s plenty of shows from then I still need to check out). So even though I haven’t watched Occult Academy yet, I doubt it will surpass Steins Gate for me personally. But to each their own, you know?

Hell, Steins Gate is the show I used to get my brother-in-law into anime. Got him the Blu-Ray of the whole series for Christmas as he prefers people to surprise him with gifts rather than make a list. After zooming through the show in just a few days, about a month later he and my sister visited (they live about 3 hours away so I see them every 1-2 months) he mentions that after finishing SG he also hopped on Netflix and had already watched Fate Zero and Fate UBW and like 80 episodes of Naruto. Like, damn.
I've played the steins;gate VN, so good! Have yet to play steins;gate 0. Intresting to see a newbie liking steins;gate, since it's full of otaku references, but the characters are so good.

Last edited:
I'm still miffed at the fuckery Sony pulled to get out of DOJ anti-trust investigations to buy Crunchyroll by claiming they were "cartoons" and not a specialty type of media.

I understand AT&T (Crunchyroll's old owner under Warner) was under huge amounts of debt but couldn't you find another buyer? AMC (the TV channel) bought Sentai so it's definitely something every media company wants a slice of.
Well Sony doesn’t own the media - they just own the rights to distribute them. The media creator can choose to not license the media to Sony.

I said joking, but thinking more seriously I would easily recommend Occult Academy to anyone, while Steins;Gate I would have to think I bit before recommending.
Occult Academy it's half the episodes and focused on fun, with the plot and the animation. The animation in Occult Academy is excellent, it really stands out in it's time with it's corporal and facial animation. It's fun to look, while Steins;Gate requires you to be a bit into otaku mood and have patience for the plot to unfold.

Seriously, now that we are talking about it watch Occult Academy: https://myanimelist.net/anime/6974/Seikimatsu_Occult_Gakuin

NahaNago

Well Sony doesn’t own the media - they just own the rights to distribute them. The media creator can choose to not license the media to Sony.
Yeah, I find that to be the weirdest thing. Someone else could easily just pay more money to distribute the newest anime or maybe the anime companies could just create their own streaming service like how we ended up getting a couple of subscription services in the last few years. I would like for Sony to make their own anime or more of it if they already do, but anime is landmine with the ecchi, loli, and underage girls so I can understand why they would prefer to just get the rights to distribute the anime and dropping it immediately or censoring it when distributing it. The deal should have went through anyways since hulu, netflix, and hbo has anime on their services so it's not like it is a monopoly plus like you said they aren't making the anime just distributing it.

Just watched the first episode of Kotaro lives alone from or on netflix and I really like it. It had me chuckling or near tears for the whole episode. I'm guessing it is going for the whole heartwarming create your own family in the apartment building type scenario while going through some past family drama. A more lighthearted version of march comes in like a lion but with less cuteness.

Last edited:

Modrot

I want to finally begin reading "The Ancient Magus' Bride" but I decided to do so when it finished.

I've bought 8 or 9 volumes and it's still not done.
despair-smile.gif

NahaNago

Watched episode 2 of KOTARO LIVES ALONE. This anime is just pure feels. Like how can you have so many sad and touching moments in just one episode. I will say that I don't like the look of the main character though. He just looks so odd but I guess that it helps the anime in that it would be extremely weird and even more depressing for a kindergartener to be living on his own . So the absurdity of his more cartoony look somewhat lessens the sadness of the life the child is living.

Labolas

Saw that Berserk was trending the other day. Seeing twitter weirdos getting pissed off about Berserk is both hilarious and sad at the same time.

I want to finally begin reading "The Ancient Magus' Bride" but I decided to do so when it finished.

I've bought 8 or 9 volumes and it's still not done.

A sincere recommendation: watch the anime, forget the mangá.
The anime is really good, really well made, really do justice to the mangá. And the anime ends with an Arc, teasing the next Arc showing Chise going to a sort of "magic skull" to learn a bit far from Elias.
After some years I picked the mangá to read the rest of the story, but after such a long time and a few volumes the story barely progressed. The previous arcs where fast, it had a lot of situations, a lot of characters that were introduced, had their moment and went away. But current arc... it's boring. Too many characters, school setting, and unnecessary desire to expand the world introducing a lot of concepts and "history" that I don't care, a lot of setup to a big intrigue, stagnant scenario and plot. It was a huge disappointment to me.

Tho only "interesting" moment to me was this page in volume 10:

mkryjkW.jpg

Chise became a bit like Guts, she isn't just a human anymore. Before she was still a human, a special sort of human but still human, now her body has some modifications, some inhumane parts that for those that don't know and are sensitive may cause discomfort. A bit like those mages that accidentally got their bodies changed, but that's it, because there's a lot of boring story that the manga is more interested in showing.

If you still want to read it them wait a few more years and make sure that this boring arc ended to read it in one go.

Talking about waiting to end... Chihayafuru is ending in a few more chapters.
People, if you didn't watched Chihayafuru do it! It's really that good!
Yes, I understand that the card game and poetry may easily turn you away but in reality it's just like any other sports manga, and a really good one. The matches may get highly exciting and of course a good reason for that are the characters and their stories and relationships. It's just so good!
To my disbelieve it received a third season, unfortunately I don't believe more will be animated, so you'll have to got read the manga after watching the episodes.

It's one of those series that just makes me super happy and wishing to share this happiness with more people:

lKdyNv2.jpg

Last edited:

drganon

On the anime front, I finished k-on. That was one adorable and funny show. Still watching Fma Brotherhood and started watching excel saga.

On the manga side of things, I finished my copy of berserk deluxe volume 2. After a trip to the bookstore I ended up splurging a bit and got the hardcover fist of the North star volume 2 and paperback tales of berseria volume1.

The_hunter

On the anime front, I finished k-on. That was one adorable and funny show. Still watching Fma Brotherhood and started watching excel saga.

On the manga side of things, I finished my copy of berserk deluxe volume 2. After a trip to the bookstore I ended up splurging a bit and got the hardcover fist of the North star volume 2 and paperback tales of berseria volume1.
K-on is amazing, no other show can make me feel moe like that. Did you watch the movie too? Tamako market and tamako love story are good too, same director, they are more slower paced than K-on. Amagi brilliant park is also amazing.

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
Just finished watching both seasons of the quisessential quintuplets and it was way better than I expected… can’t wait to see the movie someday.

This past week and restarted reading Mieruko-chan that I had stopped and forgotten when it was in the middle of that Temple/Room Arc.
I'll miss those "Fox" Spirits but I'm now surprised and annoyed. What happened with the publication? Since the end of that Arc just two/three more chapters where published?!

Komatsu

After about a year without looking at it, I went back and picked up Mato Seihei no Slave where I had left off.

seihei01.png

I had forgotten how good the art is - Takemura Youhei's art has improved by leaps and bounds.

It's such a great action manga - kinectic, absurd and horny (lol) in equal measure.

Watching The Orbital Children right now.

Going to convert my Netflix to a Netflix on Us account since they're fucking upping the HD price again. (it's a Netflix exclusive)

Labolas

Decided to give reading manga a break for a while.

So I tried to reading World's End Harem and it's not for me, the plot and the drama isn't that interesting or have a good enough hook for me to keep reading. The characters, while the females characters are great to look at and are depict with great designs, are not that interesting. Sorry OmegaSupreme OmegaSupreme I couldn't get into this.

However another ecchi manga I rather was enjoying is Hachigatsu Kokonoka Boku wa Kimi ni Kuwareru. or August 9th I Will Be Eaten by You. It's basically horny yandere monster girls that want a certain highschooler. The plot is as follows: A high school boy, Sakurai, has a secret he cannot tell anyone: he has been plagued by stalkers since he was a child. One day, his classmate, Ueda, suddenly transforms into a monster, revealed to be one of his stalkers. Miyako, who has always been closely following him, appears and saves him. She tells Sakurai that the monsters, commonly known as urban legends in Japan, are after him because they love him. What will be the fate of Sakurai who is loved by countless creatures disguised as beautiful girls? (From Manga Pill)

What I really liked is the art's solid and really gets across the horror and sexual nature of the monsters in the book. It's not a typical MC protecting his virginity for some obtuse reason, he has a genuine reason to do so out of pure terror. The monster girls themselves are based on Japan's urban myths and yokais. The plot is definitely interesting and unique which is keep me intrigued for sure. The only real downside to this is unfortunately only 20 chapters is translated so far. But I'll keep my eye on this.

6042.jpeg

iu

iu

iu

iu

Last edited:
Top Bottom