• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Animal Crossing Seasonal Update coming 4/28

Jaysen

Banned
I got a switch to play this last year and sold it a couple months later when I had enough. They’ve never come close to enticing me back with the additional content. Nor have they cleaned up the mountains of tedious development choices.

Jooxed

Gold Member
I got a switch to play this last year and sold it a couple months later when I had enough. They’ve never come close to enticing me back with the additional content. Nor have they cleaned up the mountains of tedious development choices.
Yeah I just wish there was more to do in the games than just the daily chores.

What did you actually play on it if you sold it within a couple of months of your purchase? If there weren't any games you were interested in playing then why did you buy one?

Yeah I just wish there was more to do in the games than just the daily chores.
Yeah, that's the big downside. They really need to just add more. It's clearly profitable enough.

Festivals with unique mini-games. Some story hooks for a few of the villagers with little quest lines. Many more options for continual expansion and building with light story.

My girlfriend plays this every day and she has had nothing to do for months.

Jaysen

Banned
Yeah, that's the big downside. They really need to just add more. It's clearly profitable enough.

Festivals with unique mini-games. Some story hooks for a few of the villagers with little quest lines. Many more options for continual expansion and building with light story.

My girlfriend plays this every day and she has had nothing to do for months.
3DS game had Animal Crossing Tetris Attack. Can’t believe they didn’t bring that over to the new game.

3DS game had Animal Crossing Tetris Attack. Can’t believe they didn’t bring that over to the new game.
Seriously. First item you get is a switch. Could throw a few NES games on it at least to play in your house. The skeleton of the game is great, but just needs a lot more content developed for it.

Aren't these the exact same events from last year? lol what a bunch of lazy cunts. It's little more than a chore at this point, nowadays I just log in every couple of days to remove weeds... and that's it. What a shame.

This game should serve as the perfect example of how not to do proper post-launch support.

Last edited:

Stitch

Gold Member
I've somehow played it for like 80 hours but now I really need some new content. And I'm not talking about stupid wedding photo sessions... this was already a shitty event last year.

I've read about stuff that is missing from New Leaf and Pocket Camp and I have no idea how any of that stuff still isn't in the game. Like in Pocket Camp the villagers can actually use the furniture. It has a purpose. In New Horizons they just look at it for hours. Or just ignore it. wow awesome.

Did Covid really hit Nintendo that hard? And Capcom is somehow churning out games like Monster Hunter and RE8...

edit: this also pretty much confirms that there won't be anything worthwhile until at least july. so maaaybe they announce something cool at E3. Or Treehouse or whatever they're doing

Last edited:

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
I missed most of these events from last year. My whole family plays this game causally. I'm sure I would never have looked if I was single, but it's nice turning it on once in a while and getting mail from my daughter or seeing a new area my wife has decorated. I recently had a birthday and the villagers threw me a nice little party. Honestly this game is just heartwarming and was nice emotional support over the last year. I do wish there were more fish, bugs, fossils and things to collect/do, but overall it's still a masterpiece in my book.

RaptorGTA

I'm still playing on and off..but it really feels like they need some big update. I miss the events they use to have like the Yard Sales. Don't get me wrong..i got my time spent in this game and it love it..but I half expected Nintendo to have a big update for the game around Spring,

I said I bought it for AC. Many of the other games I’d normally play were ones I already played on Wii U.
Sorry, I misread your post. There are so many things Nintendo could have added to Animal Crossing outside of the traditional gather/find system, but that's what AC has always been. Nintendo needs to contact me when they decide to make the next one lol.

Imagine Smash Bros without Cloud, Yoshi, Fox, Pikachu, etc. Sure, it's still a great game but the omissions (multiplayer mini-games, QOL updates, more buildings, etc.) keep it from being something wonderful.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
The fucking draconic chat speed and lack of quality off life skills is what turned me off on this game after 300 hours..

so eh..

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Time to complete the wall.

EZR65jcU4AAexKc

What a disappointment this game has become. Thing has sold 30+ million copies and Nintendo can't be bothered to invest in it more and give us new features like we want. Instead it's just "here log in on these days to buy a new item." Terrible post-launch support

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck

Bluecondor

I think people are being too harsh on the updates for this game. While I agree that they haven't added much in terms of additional gameplay mechanics (other than swimming and diving last summer and the museum expansion), the various holiday updates have been immersive.

The Halloween event was fun and made it feel like Halloween on the island. The Thanksgiving event was really impressive, as I can't even think of another game that turned Thanksgiving Day into a meaningful in-game event. The Christmas event was solid/OK, and the New Years Eve countdown followed by two hours of celebration was really nice. The Festivale event in February was cool, as I was not familiar with that holiday, but having Pave on the island for that day of dancing (along with a bunch of dancing emotes) with everyone on the island dancing all day and night was enjoyable.

Unfortunately, the second year of event updates is not looking very promising. Easter was brutal last year and was still a slog this year with the eggs and very few new items, and the events announced today look like more of the same.

We can still hold out hope for something big for the 2.0 update. This new update is 1.10, so 2.0 is at least something that gives us hope for something more substantial.

Last edited:

HF2014

What a disappointment this game has become. Thing has sold 30+ million copies and Nintendo can't be bothered to invest in it more and give us new features like we want. Instead it's just "here log in on these days to buy a new item." Terrible post-launch support

Tell you what. I just fired Pocket Camp tonight, giving it a real chance, and to my surprise, its just more fun to play. The problem with NH is that it lost its identity to become a Minecraft game.

Forsythia

All these seasonal events seem the same. Collect a bunch of crafting materials and pray to the RNG gods to get every seasonal DIY before the event is over. And on the day of the actual event you get a task you can complete in 2 minutes. It's pathetic.

I honestly don't get why we still do not have more store upgrades, or the Roost.

SumJester

Become a Minecraft game.
Island terraforming and allowing crafts is literaly the only features that doesn't make it 100% a poor version release of an previous AC.

Almost everything else you can find in new horizons, you can find done better in a previous AC.

Impotaku

Are these games known for having lots of post launch updates? Is the game considerably smaller than previous entries?

Anyways...

yce1fgf.png

No, this is the first game that has done this in this manner. New leaf did get a huge update to add in amiibo support but that was a one & done kind of thing not this constant updates that the switch version has been given. Before that there was no updates you got the game and all the holidays and items were in the game and you just got on with it but nothing would be new once you found everything.

This time around nintendo can add as much stuff as they like if they wanted.

Last edited:
Top Bottom