• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Angry Joe - Top 10 WORST Games of 2020

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
No he wasn’t he was showing how ridiculous the haters are. I mean how did you not get that?

Mate, you are the one who is "not getting it". The "haters" aren't the ones constantly making new threads and derailing ones only tangentially related to TLOU2 for the past 8 months. They aren't the ones whose post history is mostly consisting of crying about people not liking their game of choice and relying on insults such as "bigots" and "homophobes" (to the point where they have been routinely reply banned and had been given titles by the mod team). They aren't the ones who tried to vote bomb the GAF GotY awards. The critics/"haters" have moved on. Do you know who hasn't? The fanboys.

I have said it so many times now that it is getting tiring. I am glad that folks love, enjoy, hate, and feel nothing about the game. Other people's opinions aren't going to change nor should they feel bad for having those opinions. I am not going to bitch at Danjin for enjoying the game just like I won't cry about zkorejo feeling disappointed by it because they differ from my personal opinion. My issue lies with the constant thread derails and clear mentally ill obsession the loudest fanboys have with the game. I want to see proper game discussion again. Too many threads that had potential for good discussion has become nothing but circle jerking of insecure children who can't possible handle that others don't like their favorite game. The GAF awards thread could have been a fun discussion as to why people like certain games and why they voted, but instead it got derailed by TLOU2 fanboys. Same thing in this AJ thread. Same thing with the number of Ghost of Tsushima threads during the end of last year.

It has gotten beyond old and y'all need to move on.
Except you're making up bogus claims again which Is why I muted you in the first place.

You can't even prove it because I never said it. I disagree with people's points about the game because that can be debated, but if someone dislikes the game, then that's their own true feeling.

I said the MC user reviews aren't legit because there's no way people 40k+ people played the game and beat it within a few hours of the game releasing.

So, do you want to back up your statement where I said all negative reviews are disingenuous?

No, D(ruckmann)Force. You muted me because I routinely called out your psychotic obsession of crying about the nonexistent horde of "haters" leading to constant derails in any thread that was even tangentially related to TLOU2. You are a disingenuous poster who constantly likes to ignore people who call you out for your bullshit and immediately ignore any evidence they bring up with strawman arguments and handwaving low effort replies. I have countered your points before and you can still easily find them. Maybe you should take what I said before to heart.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
I have not stated that reviewers were paid by Sony, that is a ridiculous assertion. However, it is likely that game journalists could be compelled to give the game a great score to keep a good relationship with Sony. It's something similar to how Nintendo games always have very high scores even if the games themselves don't seem to have the quality the score suggests, but I digress. Not saying it happened, but it's conceivable.

I never said you made that assertion. I compiled a list of excuses people have made.

It's a bit funny how you don't see how obvious it is that this game all the plaudits that it did because it's an LGBT game. The production value is excellent, but multiple other titles have them as well. The story and characters are a disaster, while other games during the same year at least had stories that weren't offensively bad. TLOU2 had no gameplay innovations to speak of, it's a game primarily driven by its story.

So, given how the game fails at its main objective, what is the reason why it got all the plaudits and praises? Because it's an LGBT game. And why are some people so passionate about defending this obviously flawed game? Because it's an LGBT game.

Absurd ideas are not obvious. If anyone makes this claim with zero evidence, then it's merely just a theory created in their head. "It scored very high and won many awards because it's a LBGT game and all the negative reviews are the real and honest reviews." You guys really don't see anything wrong with this line of thinking.

Azurro

Banned
Absurd ideas are not obvious. If anyone makes this claim with zero evidence, then it's merely just a theory created in their head. "It scored very high and won many awards because it's a LBGT game and all the negative reviews are the real and honest reviews." You guys really don't see anything wrong with this line of thinking.

I mean, given how retarded the plot is, how the characters turned into a retarded version of themselves for things to happen, the plot's pacing issues and general lack in making sense in all the events that happen, then no. I mean, calling TLOU2 game of the year is like calling season 7 of GOT the best TV show of the year, it's a mockery. The acting is very good and the graphics are exceptional, and if you like the game because of the atmosphere and visuals, then by all means, but to me and many other people that are big fans of the previous game, it doesn't cover up the disappointment at the shit plot and all the awful characters and writing.

Having established how bad the writing is in multiple videos, threads in internet forums and so on, why is it getting all the awards? The only reasonable explanation is that it's an LGBT game and it needs to be propped up, which the media will happily do because of the very compelling narrative that the people criticising the game are "bigots and white supremacists attacking an LGBT game". And about the fans, maybe you don't mind the flaws because perhaps someone in your life is LGBT and you want to support them and anything that is LGBT. Or maybe you don't mind the nonsensical story and characters because you like the ideology, I don't know. Or maybe you just want it to be good, because it had been 7 years since the previous game and the sequel being bad just shouldn't happen, or maybe you are there for the spectacle and you don't mind the ridiculousness of the plot.

Whatever your reason is, please don't attempt to gaslight me and others and tell me how everything nonsensical and shit about the game is not there.

Dude what the fuck are you talking about. Lgbt doesn't have anything to do with the awards this game got, we already knew ellie was gay, it's not a new franchise. Joe didn't even play the game, he read the fucking leaks and made up his mind before even buying it. Of course that if you read the leaks you're going to approach the game in a complete different way. Just an example, when a main character is getting killed, he already expected it and instead of watching it and embracing it, he stood up and left the room and came back several minutes later missing a huge part of the game. How can you review something like that? Might as well just be honest and say you don't want to review the game because of the leaks.

As I explained above, of course the LGBT angle is why it received the plaudits it did, there's no other reason. Of course he read the leaks since due to his profession he needs to stay on top of these gaming news and be part of the conversation. Now, if a character death is properly pulled off, in the proper context and with respect to the character, his story and personality, even a leak will not ruin that moment.

That is such a weird phrase: "embracing a character death". The story either pulls it off, or it doesn't, and TLOU2 is just so bad at it that it pisses people off and makes people want to stop playing the game. The bad reviews are warranted while the ones claiming it as a triumph, I see with a bit of humor.

Last edited:

keraj37

I cannot watch it without skipping artificial rants, but overall I agree with the number 2, just for how badly the ideology it is shoveling into PS gamers.

Humdinger

Having established how bad the writing is in multiple videos, threads in internet forums and so on, why is it getting all the awards? The only reasonable explanation is that it's an LGBT game and it needs to be propped up,

I don't want to dismiss that possibility, but I don't think it's the only reasonable explanation. Two other possibilities occur to me:

1. Critics have an inordinate love for stories that are grim, that show the worst parts of life and human nature. This is true not just in games criticism (which I think suffers from a "little man syndrome" of a sort), but in other forms of entertainment/art as well. Stories that are depressing get accorded higher value than ones that are uplifting. The premise seems to be that stories which are about how awful people can be to each other are "brave," "mature," and "honest," whereas stories about goodness or nobility are superficial and easy.

This is true in other forms of art/entertainment, too. I see it in literature all the time. Just yesterday, I was looking at collection called "Best American Stories of the Last 100 Years." The carefully selected stories were overwhelmingly tales about the worst aspects of human experience -- incest, death, violence, abuse, you name it. Degradation and suffering in all its forms.

This is what gets celebrated by critics. You get extra points if your story is one that focuses on misery, degradation, and suffering. You're being deep and brave.

2. Naughty Dog has a stellar reputation and a level of prestige in the gaming industry. I am sure this is a factor, in the same way that games by certain studios (e.g., Rockstar, Nintendo) always seem to get inordinate praise and 10/10's from the critics. On the one hand, these companies deserve their reputations, because of their past accomplishments. On the other, there is a certain confirmation bias that sets in, so that once that stellar reputation is established, it has a momentum all its own. Games aren't necessarily seen as objectively as one might hope. Shortcomings are almost willfully overlooked.

None of that is to take away from the gameplay, visual, or atmospheric accomplishments of TLoU. I'm just pointing out that there are other explanations besides the one you suggest. Other things might be contributing.

Last edited:

meech

10. Crucible
9. Hyperscape
8. Madden 2020
8. Fifa 2020 (Switch)
7. Valorant
6. Predator: Hunting Grounds
5. Cyberpunk 2077
4. Warcraft 3: Reforged
3. Marvel's Avengers
2. Last of Us: Part 2
1. Fast and Furious: Crossroads

Do you agree with Joe's List?

Disagree, Last of 2 should be number one of this list. :)

Last edited:

meech

I have a hard time seeing how TLOU2 deserves to be on that list. It's a very well-crafted game that plays amazingly and is well-written.
Joel behaving like an naive imbecile is well written and consistent with his character? How about no. Its not an issue that he dies, but how he dies in the most moronic way.

Last edited:

Melubas

Joel behaving like an naive imbecile is well written and consistent with his character? How about no. Its not an issue that he dies, but how he dies in the most moronic way.

I can understand your point, but I would argue that the intent was to show how years had passed and Joel had let go of some of his distrust and anger. They'd lived for a while in their community and seemingly not run into many other humans who harbored ill will towards others. It is a matter of if the story should start off on the same premise as the first one or if the characters should be allowed to change leading up to the sequel. It is not the BEST written game of the year by far, but the short-comings it has does not justify it ending up on a ten worst games of the year list.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
I mean, given how retarded the plot is, how the characters turned into a retarded version of themselves for things to happen, the plot's pacing issues and general lack in making sense in all the events that happen, then no. I mean, calling TLOU2 game of the year is like calling season 7 of GOT the best TV show of the year, it's a mockery. The acting is very good and the graphics are exceptional, and if you like the game because of the atmosphere and visuals, then by all means, but to me and many other people that are big fans of the previous game, it doesn't cover up the disappointment at the shit plot and all the awful characters and writing.

Having established how bad the writing is in multiple videos, threads in internet forums and so on, why is it getting all the awards? The only reasonable explanation is that it's an LGBT game and it needs to be propped up, which the media will happily do because of the very compelling narrative that the people criticising the game are "bigots and white supremacists attacking an LGBT game". And about the fans, maybe you don't mind the flaws because perhaps someone in your life is LGBT and you want to support them and anything that is LGBT. Or maybe you don't mind the nonsensical story and characters because you like the ideology, I don't know. Or maybe you just want it to be good, because it had been 7 years since the previous game and the sequel being bad just shouldn't happen, or maybe you are there for the spectacle and you don't mind the ridiculousness of the plot.

Whatever your reason is, please don't attempt to gaslight me and others and tell me how everything nonsensical and shit about the game is not there.

As expected, you don't have any proof.

All you're doing is telling me that people have the same opinion as you do. I can't sit here and waste my time because this is one of the most ridiculous arguments I have seen in awhile. lol

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
No, D(ruckmann)Force. You muted me because I routinely called out your psychotic obsession of crying about the nonexistent horde of "haters" leading to constant derails in any thread that was even tangentially related to TLOU2. You are a disingenuous poster who constantly likes to ignore people who call you out for your bullshit and immediately ignore any evidence they bring up with strawman arguments and handwaving low effort replies. I have countered your points before and you can still easily find them. Maybe you should take what I said before to heart.

I asked for proof and you showed me nothing.

have countered your points before and you can still easily find them. Maybe you should take what I said before to heart.

And thanks for showing me another example of your lies. I asked you to quote my post and you couldn't do it. This wasn't a counter, you just repeated the same lie again.

In your next post, show me where I said anyone who doesn't like the game is being disingenuous.

Last edited:

meech

I can understand your point, but I would argue that the intent was to show how years had passed and Joel had let go of some of his distrust and anger. They'd lived for a while in their community and seemingly not run into many other humans who harbored ill will towards others. It is a matter of if the story should start off on the same premise as the first one or if the characters should be allowed to change leading up to the sequel. It is not the BEST written game of the year by far, but the short-comings it has does not justify it ending up on a ten worst games of the year list.
There are still living in a post apocalyptic world where ressources are scarce. Its one thing if he is more relaxed inside his own group, but not when it comes tro Strangers. That is completly out of character and garbage.

MiguelItUp

Folks are going to look at Joe's take and think he's doing it for clicks as it's an "unpopular opinion", but no, it's simply just a person's personal opinion about a popular title.

Some people loved the game, some people thought it was fine (raises hand), and some people thought it was awful and not good. It happens.

Hell, I got flak for just saying I thought the game was fine, and that I loved Ghost of Tsushima more so. :pie_eyeroll:

Fake

Disagree, Last of 2 should be number one of this list. :)

Not much. TLOUS2 should be indeed at that list, but not that higher. There are others crap games and cash grab games of 2020 that need to mention. Crysis Remastered for example.

Azurro

Banned
As expected, you don't have any proof.

All you're doing is telling me that people have the same opinion as you do. I can't sit here and waste my time because this is one of the most ridiculous arguments I have seen in awhile. lol

What sort of "proof" do you expect to receive? My argument is that given that the game's story isn't good, neither stand alone or specially in the context of the first game, that publications are giving it plaudits for other reasons. Given how woke both the studio and the media are, then the fact that it's an LGBT game is a logical answer.

What other possible answer is there? I mean, I can't do anything for you if you enjoyed the steroids lady in the apocalypse and how identity politics is such a huge part of the apocalypse, but you do you. I won't argue with that because I know the reasons you enjoy the game are inherently irrational.

Last edited:

devilNprada

These are just games he's played right?
Makes sense for TLOU2 to be on someones list if they didn't like it... because in general we typically play games we like..

I have never played it, so it can't be on my worst list... But it couldn't be worse than Elderscrolls Blades on the Switch.. So Joe must have never played that one...

Edit: people who haven't played it who are calling it the worst... Should just fuck off

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I asked for proof and you showed me nothing.

And thanks for showing me another example of your lies. I asked you to quote my post and you couldn't do it. This wasn't a counter, you just repeated the same lie again.

In your next post, show me where I said anyone who doesn't like the game is being disingenuous.

And more disingenuous hand waving replies that ignore everything posted. Not too surprised at this point.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
And more disingenuous hand waving replies that ignore everything posted. Not too surprised at this point.

Once again, you're proving to be a liar. It's not surprising someone who thinks all reviews and awards are rigged by the so called "woke media" would based their accusation on lies. Don't pretend you don't show up in every thread complaining about how everything is rigged and awards mean nothing. I'm here pointing out the ridiculous amount excuses people come up when you're just afraid to admit that people legitimately have a different opinion than you do.

This is why I muted you in the first place because you throw a fit whenever someone points this out. You're going back on mute because you bring nothing more to the conversation other than tinfoil hat theories created by political beliefs.

I'm done.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Once again, you're proving to be a liar. It's not surprising someone who thinks all reviews and awards are rigged by the so called "woke media" would based their accusation on lies. Don't pretend you don't show up in every thread complaining about how everything is rigged and awards mean nothing. I'm here pointing out the ridiculous amount excuses people come up when you're just afraid to admit that people legitimately have a different opinion than you do.

This is why I muted you in the first place because you throw a fit whenever someone points this out. You're going back on mute because you bring nothing more to the conversation other than tinfoil hat theories created by political beliefs.

I'm done.

Lol, okay kiddo. Keep pushing those false accusations and low effort personal attacks without any level of introspection on your behalf.

Your reading comprehension needs work as does your ability to think critically. I have not stated that “all reviews and awards are rigged by the woke media”. I have stated that there are certainly a number within the industry who are. There are also others in the industry that aren’t. You would have known this if you didn’t have obvious issues with the two aforementioned failings I mentioned.

Also yes, I will always say award shows are meaningless. The only thing that matters is the players personal opinion on the games they played. Anyone who takes validation from someone else’s awards is a sad little man child who can’t think for themselves.

For someone who loves to call out others as liars, you tend to push them more often then most. It’s time to grow up a bit, Dforce.

uncleslappy

nethack is my favorite dark souls clone
Not a big fan of Angry Joe but he’s right about TLOU2 it was garbage.
Really? Garbage? I understand there are some issues with the pacing/story, sure. But the achievement of voice acting, mocap, storytelling (from a high level at least) and reactive AI and how differently each battle can play out can’t be ignored.

Really? Garbage? I understand there are some issues with the pacing/story, sure. But the achievement of voice acting, mocap, storytelling (from a high level at least) and reactive AI and how differently each battle can play out can’t be ignored.
How are u gonna say u understand ppls issues with the story, but then say the storytelling is high level? lol

As I explained above, of course the LGBT angle is why it received the plaudits it did, there's no other reason. Of course he read the leaks since due to his profession he needs to stay on top of these gaming news and be part of the conversation. Now, if a character death is properly pulled off, in the proper context and with respect to the character, his story and personality, even a leak will not ruin that moment.

That is such a weird phrase: "embracing a character death". The story either pulls it off, or it doesn't, and TLOU2 is just so bad at it that it pisses people off and makes people want to stop playing the game. The bad reviews are warranted while the ones claiming it as a triumph, I see with a bit of humor.

Ok, explain me what part regarding LGBT was new to you compared to TLOU 1. We knew ellie was gay since the first game, we also knew Bill was gay too. So what part is new to you? Did you seriously thought we weren't going to explore Ellie's relationship with another woman? That was a given. The only new part would be the kid being trans, but since that happens almost at the end of the game and we focus on it like 30 minutes, that can't be it right? That's the only part that I felt the developers went out of their way to deliver an lgbt message.

People aren't mad because of the lgbt topics on the game, they are mad because who the fuck thinks it's a good idea to play 20 hours until you get to the end of your story and then start all over but on the villains POV. Not happy with h it, they decided to use the opportunity to make you feel like the villain is a good person and that maybe your heroes aren't heroes at all.

Some people will like the story, some will not, and some people will have the strange idea that the game was pushing an agenda when it actually didn't. I'm against the me too movement and other feminists movements, people probably would call me a bigot or conservative and still, I wasn't bothered at all with the last of US 2 and it's narrative. I just can't comprehend what part of the game is pushing an LFBT agenda.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
lol tlou2 on nr 2 what a fucking manchild,
Fuck man imagine being so fucking salty getting fucked by a buff chick you still bitch about it months later.

Again his video his opinion. But oh my :pie_roffles:

Last edited:
Top Bottom