• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Angelina Jolie Explains Why She Initially Wanted to Pass on 'Tomb Raider' and What Changed Her Mind

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

I got the opportunity to chat with Jolie about the film and opted to look back on when she first recognized the value of doing her own stuntwork. While it wasn’t a surprise to hear Jolie credit that realization to the 2001 Tomb Raider movie, it was a surprise to hear that, initially, she wasn’t sure if she wanted to do the movie at all. Here’s how she put it:

“I said, ‘I really didn’t feel like that character suited me.’ I actually didn’t at first want to do it; I said no. But they said you can travel the world and train with the British Military and so I had three months of seeing what I could do. And I would encourage anybody to do that. Sign up for as much as you can, give yourself a few months, push yourself to the limit and see, ‘What can I do?’ And you find that there’s a lot you didn’t know and some crazy, weird things you can do or you’re capable of, so I love it.”

Jolie also took a moment to highlight the importance of finding the right balance between stunts and visual effects to ensure maximum authenticity on screen:

“And I do think the more we have in film that’s visual effects, the more it’s important to do your own stunts if you can because I think the audience knows the difference and it feels real when it is.”

sexy angelina jolie GIF

Valentino

They are very iconic movies in my eyes. Nothing substantial in story but the vibe and energy just oozes late 90s/early 00’s fun summer blockbuster. I genuinely think the 2 original Tomb Raider movies are overlooked in character adaptation and the pure elements of a Tomb Raider game. I’m glad Angie is tied to such an iconic character because aside from the sniggering about the Brad, Jen, and Angie situation, I’ve only ever seen her come across as charming and kind

sublimit

Banned
I remember going to watch it in the cinema together with a friend who was also a big TR fan. We were still too naive so we had hopes it was going to be a good movie. Needless to say we left very disappointed at the end.
And as if that wasn't enough the next TR game was also a big disappointment (Angel of Darkness).
That wasn't a good time for the franchise but hey at least it didn't suffered from identity crisis like it does now.

Last edited:

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
I didn't like these movies very much back in the day, but they've actually aged well in that they capture an action movie style that is lost these days.

I'd also say they are better than the reboot movie, which was just plain boring.

I thought the first movie was solid, but yes the second movie sucked ass.

I heard the newest movie was kinda trash as well. Too bad considering the new games would make for solid material to adapt

smbu2000

Best part of the movie as an early teen was the side boob. XD
Compared to her previous movies like Hackers(‘95) and especially Gia (‘98), TR was pretty tame.

OT: I liked the first TR, the second not so much. I’d still rather see that second TR movie over the remake from a few years ago. That was awful.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
Those two movies are atrocious and I feel like I’m on another planet reading these replies.
Just like MK 1, they were dumb fun. For some reason people were way more harsh on the old Tomb Raider movies than MK 1.

Fredrik

Okayish movies but she was the perfect Lara.

No idea what they’re thinking with Vikander, might be the worst casting ever, they don’t even let her show off her acting skills.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Yupe, Jolie was perfect. She oozed raw sexuality, charm, physical presence and sheer badassery that Lara is all about in the games. Like you could believe she would kick ass of 10 grown men while looking as hot as lord's mistress and cracking jokes at the same time.
Alicia Vikander on the other hand had none of the above qualities

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

Alicia was so poorly miscast. I understand they're trying to deemphasize sexualizing Lara, but sorry, Lara is a sex symbol. Can't undo that.
I would lke to be in that meeting when they agreed that the only way to go in terms of not making Lara a sex object is to go with a flat chested actress.

At least Lara still has a pretty big chest and attractive figure in video games, but who knows what they'll do to her in future TR games.

Kenpachii

Her career was a dud, she was famous for being naughty dating older men and hating father girl in the 90s, TR movie kept her relevant for a lot longer than she deserves
Angelina Jolie's net worth was estimated around $120 million

Yea total dud, i bet half the planet knows her on top of it from her countless of action movies.

The 2 movies were shit (specially the 2nd), tho Angelina was perfect as Lara.

Perfect Lara. Terrible movies.

Okayish movies but she was the perfect Lara.

Good movies, she was the perfect fit for tomb raider.

She looked so good as Lara Croft. Movies were okay too. But I honestly believe it's Jolie as Lara Croft that really made those movies memorable.

Yupe, Jolie was perfect. She oozed raw sexuality, charm, physical presence and sheer badassery that Lara is all about in the games.

Angelina was a perfect Lara cast, but casted in 2 shitty garbage movies.

r4OUG4U.jpg

smbu2000

Angelina Jolie's net worth was estimated around $120 million

Yea total dud, i bet half the planet knows her on top of it from her countless of action movies.
Yeah, seems strange to say that since she had just won an Academy Award for her performance in Girl, Interrupted right before she started making the first TR movie.

Sevenfold

After adobting multiple kids with mixed racial heritages she became unicef kinda girl walking around africa adopting kids, no wonder brad left her, too many kids in the house that are not his
Yeah I remember her being really into other people's kids for a bit.

Last thing I saw her in was the replacement kid one huh :D
(Great film tbf and she's incredible in it)

Kenpachii

Yeah, seems strange to say that since she had just won an Academy Award for her performance in Girl, Interrupted right before she started making the first TR movie.

Pretty much, whenever jolie is in a movie i watch it because its just a amazing actress in general. No clue why people hate her, she even does tons of stuff for poor children in those 3rd world country's. Nothing but mad respect for her.

Last edited:

UnNamed

Banned
The fact is Angelina was great in TR, she really believes in what she do all the time, she fits the part so well despite everything else is terrible. In fact, the only reason why TR movie is not completely shit is because her. Angelina is the best Lara Croft, Angelina IS Lara Croft.

Last edited:

Tschumi

"I was going to be boobs with legs, didn't dig it, but i had the global vacation to end all global vacations so i reinterpreted my role but still boobs"

Bragr

Banned
These movies are only dumb fun if you are dumb yourself. The movies are unwatchable for normal people.

Best part of the movie as an early teen was the side boob. XD
Same here, was not even yet a teen, I was 12 and it was pretty damn awesome.

Later when I got to see them head on in the movie Gia was an experience I'll never forget.

The movie itself was not bad, certainly a cut above most video game movies.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
I remember the first one was good and the second one was awful. But it's been a looooooong time since I've seen either.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Angelina always gets credit from me for apparently being a nice, friendly person when interacting with game dev staff around the time of TR.

You'd be surprised how many D-listers act like total douche-nozzles with interacting with us plebs in game dev. So when you get actual big time celebs who treat people decently and with respect, word gets around via insider message boards and the like.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Saw these in the theater

I honestly think the first one was good for its time

the second one is just a flat out bad movie but I still enjoy it

Kirazuki_01

Neo Member
The first movie was far better than the 2nd but Angeline Jolie was born for this role. The movies aren't amazing but you can tell they just wanted to have fun with it and that's what makes it such a great guilty pleasure.

I thought for sure she was going to say, "At first, I didn't want to do them because I felt the character design was demeaning to women blahblahblahblah..." or some other tripe. Which I was going to scoff at, since virtually all of her success has been based on her good looks and sex appeal.

Top Bottom