• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android Apps could be coming to Xbox

MrFunSocks

Banned
I don’t think there’s a single person in the world that wants to play android games or use android apps on their Xbox.

I remember when Facebook was on the 360 too. Didn’t last long.

Too bad the UX is typically shite. But I for one am really looking forward to hotswapping between Gmail and Coinbase while in Halo queues.

Ezquimacore

Banned
I don’t think there’s a single person in the world that wants to play android games or use android apps on their Xbox.

rFA6S7F.jpg

Banned

there are a few good android games that also work flawlessly on contoller.

example Max Payne, or all the GTA games, including Chinatown Wars.

the issue is tho, this will be limited to the Amazon App Store, because that's what it will be on Windows 11.
and while the Amazon App store has a lot of apps (most of the bigger ones, especially free to play stuff) there are many missing and you would need to buy paid apps again on that store in order to use them if you already own them on the Play Store.

KOTOR is also on the Amazon App Store btw. so, again, there is a bunch of interesting stuff on there

ALSO EMULATORS!!! of course we already have working emulators for basically everything on the Xbox, but it's not the easiest to get those running for most people, so having an android app to do that would be very convenient for normal users

edit: I just looked through the Amazon App Store, just to see what they got over there.
here some interesting titles that aren't available on modern consoles yet:

GTA3
KOTOR
Sonic 1, 2, CD (whitehead version)
Sonic 4 (meh I know)
Dragon Quest 1-8
Final Fantasy 3, 4 (3D remakes)

and yes, they have Retroarch!

Last edited:

Soodanim

Gold Member
Sonic 1, 2, CD (whitehead version)
Beat me to it. CD had the PC/console port which is fine, but 1/2 never got the same love outside of the platform least likely to appreciate them and I have no idea why. There's no licensing issues (it's all theirs) and no porting issues (Whitehead's engine).

Android apps on Xbox could be interesting. Not huge, depending on how they lock it down, but interesting for the niche cases.

Papacheeks

Banned
Only draw back I see is not for the users who want to run better emulators and better version of RetroArch, it's people who abuse android app and hack the shit out of xbox's back end.

That's where side loading Android scripts could literally start making Xbox os unsafe and make way for easy cheats for multiplayer.

JLB

Banned
The idea to have the whole Android library sounds amazing, but like typically with these things, the devils is on the details. Getting mobile games to work great on non mobile devices typically is clunky.

stranno

I would buy an SX right away with that feature. Unfortunately it has been delayed on W11, so I guess they are struggling with the implementation.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Y tho?

I'm an Android user, but I've never ever felt the need to run Android apps on anything but my phone and TV (Android TV apps).

Top Bottom