• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

And the next Star Wars film saga is... "Knights Of The High Republic"?

Sources are saying the next Star Wars Saga is going to take place during an era called “The High Republic” era. It sounds like the setting is 400 years before The Skywalker Saga. This new saga is set during a time that the Sith’s “Rule of Two” has been established by Darth Bane, and Yoda is a Jedi, but isn’t the old Jedi we know from the Skywalker era.
Sources are saying the next Star Wars Saga is going to take place during an era called “The High Republic” era. It sounds like the setting is 400 years before The Skywalker Saga. This new saga is set during a time that the Sith’s “Rule of Two” has been established by Darth Bane, and Yoda is a Jedi, but isn’t the old Jedi we know from the Skywalker era.

These new films will not make up a trilogy but rather a series of films which will be released in the same story era and interconnect. D.B Weiss and David Benioff were to make this series before moving onto a more lucrative deal. This method of storytelling was supposed to apply to the “A Star Wars Story” films, but they never got a chance to interconnect the two stories that they told with more material.

Because of the volume of Star Wars stories set during The High Republic era, it is difficult to say which emerging characters they are going to spotlight in these upcoming films. While the series will have Jedi, it will also have heroes who are not Jedi.

b32807c96757f5a2c344555547d9e106eecc6b44.jpg

Smoke that Kashyyyk Kush if old.

Set it 1000 years in the past or future instead you goddamn pussies.

Last edited:

Bolivar687

Banned
It makes sense to look back at an earlier era but with Disney essentially creating the third canonical setting, I'm worried this won't look nor feel anything like Star Wars.

Reactions: 888

Ovek

7Member7
If it’s set 400 years in the past it all but guarantees a young Yoda cameo, especially after the popularity explosion of “baby Yoda”.

ManaByte

Gold Member
It makes sense to look back at an earlier era but with Disney essentially creating the third canonical setting, I'm worried this won't look nor feel anything like Star Wars.

Good. The old Tales of the Jedi comics (which is what KOTOR was based on) looked nothing like Star Wars. Bioware's KOTOR design was dog shit. It was supposed to be 5,000 years before the OT and only looked like 50 years older.

Ovek

7Member7
Is this site credible?

Who knows a lot of the speculation comes from Darth Revan (from kotor) bring named in the last SW film. Personal I think people are over thinking it and Revan being named was nothing more than fan wank like the rest of the film.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Nah, I prefer my non-canon expanded universe.

The funny thing about a long-running series is that if you throw out continuity, fans will stop caring as much about your prequels and sequels. Go figure.

GrayFoxPL

That would be pretty exciting.

Good. The old Tales of the Jedi comics (which is what KOTOR was based on) looked nothing like Star Wars. Bioware's KOTOR design was dog shit. It was supposed to be 5,000 years before the OT and only looked like 50 years older.

Thanks for bringing it to my attention. Starting to read Tales series!

Wishful thinking but maybe this means they'll make the first two KOTOR games canon? Doubt it but one can hope.

I heard the Aqua Man actor, Jason-what's-his-name and/or Idris Elba are in talks for starring. Or at least that's what Mike Zeroh found out.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
If it’s set 400 years in the past it all but guarantees a young Yoda cameo, especially after the popularity explosion of “baby Yoda”.
overall this sounds like a redo of the Prequels but they could legit have Baby Yoda in this. were i BI/KK id put him in the 2022 movie.
everything they have done so far have been slavish re-creations of the OT, they have nailed the look down. there are only so many ways you can do holograms or star charts in a temple/cave, and the presence of Jedis and lightsabers will always feel SW. design wise IMO they should mine the PT more, get some of that Art Deco Flash Gordon stuff in there. the ST stuff has been so barren and run down, they should get super baroque with it as a contrast.

Last edited:
overall this sounds like a redo of the Prequels but they could legit have Baby Yoda in this. were i BI/KK id put him in the 2022 movie.

everything they have done so far have been slavish re-creations of the OT, they have nailed the look down. there are only so many ways you can do holograms or star charts in a temple/cave, and the presence of Jedis and lightsabers will always feel SW. design wise IMO they should mine the PT more, get some of that Art Deco Flash Gordon stuff in there. the ST stuff has been so barren and run down, they should get super baroque with it as a contrast.
The prequels looked different and had all sorts of new stuff and imo it still felt like Star Wars.

Say what you want about Lucas and the PT but at least it was far more creative and different while still feeling like my Star Wars.

Edit: I thought the High Republic rumor is the 2022 movies (?)

Last edited:

GV82

Why not call it Old Republic? Because people know that name well, Ali guess they want to mess around with that Cannon.

High Republic sounds like Star Wars getting stoned 🤣 maybe that’s a good thing.

Is this site credible?

Jason usually gets most of the scoops right, I knew that Han had died months before TFA as well as most of the plot, including a lot of leaked concept art, some which ended up in the official book that was not in the TFA film at all & some have now turned up in comics a few years later, TLJ was hard for him to get leaks and I read most of his TROS leaks which as it turns out have mostly all been true, sometimes he gets false info like he thought he had a scoop on colin trevorrows scrapped script for TROS but colin called him on on twitter saying he’s wrong, it’s almost like he gets stuff correct but then he’s fed some bs from time to time to throw him off.

That said I don't agree with Jason with some of the stuff he says, but that’s a personal opinion, nothing to do with his leaks.

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
400 years before would put Yoda in his freaking prime! I'm already excited to see Yoda at full or near full power rather than the crippled old one we saw in the prequels. Would love to see him come in and kick some ass anime style one time against a bunch of baddies

400 years before would put Yoda in his freaking prime! I'm already excited to see Yoda at full or near full power rather than the crippled old one we saw in the prequels. Would love to see him come in and kick some ass anime style one time against a bunch of baddies
His old ass was already doing crazy ass moves in the PT.

I hope rumors are true KK will have less involvement. One can only hope.

Last edited:

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
His old ass was already doing crazy ass moves in the PT.
Yeah but I couldn't help but think that that's just a fraction of his prime. If his lifespan is roughly 10x that of a human (dies at 900 rather than 90) then it was basically watching an 88 year old guy fight. Imagine what an 88 year old like that can do at 48!

Yeah but I couldn't help but think that that's just a fraction of his prime. If his lifespan is roughly 10x that of a human (dies at 900 rather than 90) then it was basically watching an 88 year old guy fight. Imagine what an 88 year old like that can do at 48!
Tbh I thought the crazy Yoda shit was dumb af in the PT.

But yeah I can imagine he wasn't exactly a spring chicken in AOTC so he must have pulled some really crazy ass moves in his youth.

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
Tbh I thought the crazy Yoda shit was dumb af in the PT.

But yeah I can imagine he wasn't exactly a spring chicken in AOTC so he must have pulled some really crazy ass moves in his youth.
Oh I agree it was pretty lame with the yell and such. But I think handled in more deft hands with a proper buildup presentation it could be like a super cool badass moment to see him body a bunch of guys. Like have him be all pacifist and not do anything action wise for a movie or two but then he unleashes his arsenal and overhwhelmes the badguys to their shock

ExpandKong

Banned
Would be a smart move on Disney’s part to distance any future Star Wars stuff as far as they can from the dumpster fire of episodes 7-9, so I buy it.

still holding out hope for BINKS: A STAR WARS STORY

Why are they scared about writing something in a New Republic era?

I am guessing because they're scared of writing a new villain?

Top Bottom