• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anchor Brewing is shutting down after 127 years

Pejo

I can't say I've been a fan of their stuff for years, ever since getting bought out by Sapporo. In the SF area specifically, a huge rise of Microbreweries pretty much ate their lunch locally, on top of COVID doing the usual bar/restaurant killing.

Still it's a shame to see storied businesses going under.

A few excerpts:
The brewery was “losing millions of dollars a year,” said Anchor spokesperson Sam Singer. “Economic pressures have made the business no longer sustainable.”
Anchor has already brewed its final beer at the historic Potrero Hill brewery — “there’s no steam coming out of the brewery now,” said Singer — and notified the brewery’s 61 employees of the shutdown early Wednesday morning. The brewery’s taproom, Anchor Public Taps, will continue operating until at least Aug. 1, possibly longer.
Founded in 1896, Anchor was often touted as the nation’s first craft brewery, but Sapporo’s acquisition stripped away its official “craft” designation and brought about a series of other changes. The historically anachronistic brewery began producing dozens of trendy and experimental styles, like a Blackberry IPA and Meyer Lemon Lager. It opened its modern taproom and pilot brewery, plus started charging for tours. In 2019, dissatisfied workers successfully formed a union for the first time in Anchor’s history.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Hmm, I do like Steam from time to time, I'll have to see if there is any left at the store.

Oh, and hope them union workers feel good about all this....

Last edited:

Mr Blobby

How hard is it to sell beer wtf

trendy and experimental styles, like a Blackberry IPA and Meyer Lemon Lager

Okay they deserve what they got
love trying those crazy flavours. Gwei Lo make some out there stuff like coffee lemon sour and a cucumber and dill gose. definitely an acquired taste

Spaceman292

Banned
love trying those crazy flavours. Gwei Lo make some out there stuff like coffee lemon sour and a cucumber and dill gose. definitely an acquired taste
I feel like whenever I try a fruity beer it's always rancid. Anyway, when the company was in trouble, it was bad move to go experimental with acquired tastes.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I feel like they've got problems if they can't keep it open. I see a new brewery at the store literally every time I go. Even in super small towns you're seeing multiple breweries. I think we have at least 4 now in a town of less than 100,000 people. Lots more in all neighboring cities.

Last edited:

Mossybrew

Unfortunate, but I can't say they will be missed. Maybe nostalgia wise sure, back in the day Anchor was one of the few good beers you could get in a market dominated by american lagers, along with the likes of Sam Adams, Sierra Nevada, and Pete's Wicked. But it's been probably ten years plus since I had one.

crumbs

I feel like they've got problems if they can't keep it open. I see a new brewery at the store literally every time I go. Even in super small towns you're seeing multiple breweries. I think we have at least 4 now in a town of less than 100,000 people. Lots more in all neighboring cities.

I think what you're describing is a significant part of their problem: high availability of local craft beers which can crowd out the "older" non-mainstream brands like Anchor.

Unfortunate, but I can't say they will be missed. Maybe nostalgia wise sure, back in the day Anchor was one of the few good beers you could get in a market dominated by american lagers, along with the likes of Sam Adams, Sierra Nevada, and Pete's Wicked. But it's been probably ten years plus since I had one.

Agreed. Anchor, along with some of the breweries you mentioned, seem caught in "No-Man's Land" part of the beer market: They don't get the mainstream buyers that continually drink A-B or Miller brands, but they also lack the local/regional characteristics and unique products that appeal to beer enthusiasts.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Agreed. Anchor, along with some of the breweries you mentioned, seem caught in "No-Man's Land" part of the beer market: They don't get the mainstream buyers that continually drink A-B or Miller brands, but they also lack the local/regional characteristics and unique products that appeal to beer enthusiasts.
Yeah, maybe it was just swinging too hard for the fences. I certainly tend to buy local when possible, and here in Texas I am blessed with a ridonculous amount of good craft beer. Even a semi-mainstream brand like Shiner is readily available damn near everywhere here, so I don't need to move to Anchor, Sam Adams, Stella, or Yeungling, much less the mass market swill called miller and bud lite.

But if Anchor can't capitalize on it's legacy in SF and survive just in that regional market, then that's really on them (or perhaps the expectations of the new owner). Might be due to the general decline of Cali in general and SF in particular as a pro-business/tourist economy.

I've little doubt the brewery will get bought and the name restored in short order. No one is gonna sleep on the chance to own that history.

Top Bottom