• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Analyzing PlayStation's Exclusive Software Output

Gaelyon

Gold Member
Let me see if I've understood you here.... in a thread titled "Analyzing PlayStation's Exclusive Software Output", and in response to a post stating that PlayStation's Exclusive Software Output lacks genre diversity for an individual's tastes, your response to this statement is to point to games that aren't made by Sony and aren't exclusive to PlayStation as a positive? To make this response, you state that, if an individual is after after more interesting games, we should look into games that are available everywhere else? Friend... I sure hope you don't work in marketing :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I'm stating a fact. Exclusive games are about 1% of the store for both Sony and MS. If you want multigenre games there's many in the 99% common for both machines. Exclusives are games made for exploiting the full capabilities of the console, with usually AAA dev/marketing budget, as a way to lure gamers, to be a facade for the system and hopefully offer the best quality. But it's still a tiny part of the catalogue.

I'm not here to defend Sony, personally i think their games are the best of the industry, and i play on PC for specific genre anyway (like RTS, card games or simulation games), and i don't think i'm missing much with MS exclusives so far, but again if you think MS exclusives give you that much more diversity, go ahead it's a valid opinion.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Nah FF16 is on par with Star Citizen.

WRPGs in general are far more popular than JRPGs. Even big ones like FF. Skyrim sold millions more than any FF game, and Star Citizen is going to be bigger than Fallout and Skyrim combined. THere is a massive market for SciFi WRPGs.

I would also not dismiss Halo Infinite despite the poor reception to the reveal. It has nearly a 1000 devs working on it. It's been in dev for 6 years. it's too big to fail. I think it will be a GOTY contender. They seem to have a bit too ambitious with it which caused a bunch of issues, but that doesnt mean the game wont deliver. See Uncharted 4 and TLOU2, both of which had troubled development, but were still big GOTY winners in their years.

The worst thing about Gears 4, 5 and Halo 5 is that they felt too familiar, were too mediocre and safe. Halo Infinite is anything but safe. Even if it doesnt hit all the notes, they change in formula alone will win it some praise.

If MS can get Infinite and Star Citizen out this year, it would be a massive get. I am expecting Star Citizen to be a seminal title. It will blow people away, and Infinite could be a very solid AAA entry as well.

I dont think anyone is stopping this Sony train though. Star Citizen would be a big indicator if it manages to make Xbox THE go to platform of choice this holiday season.
As IPs though, Final Fantasy (159 million) has sold roughly 3x more than Elder Scrolls (58 million).

Gaelyon

Gold Member
No doubt Sony has the monopoly on single player, story driven, third person games. They don't have much for variety outside of those major components and I have not seen a fantastic multiplayer game from them in a long time. If you are big on playing alone they have you covered in spades. If you want to play with your friends...well I guess you can always do that video share thing to watch your friends play alone.
So there's no other games than exclusives on both consoles ? Why i'm playing FFXIV with friends on my PS5 right now ? 99% of the games on both stores are the same, of all kind including many MP... So ? You can't play Sea of thieves on PS, you can't play FFXIV on Xbox... But there's lot of MP games on both stores.

OrtizTwelve

Exclusives don't matter for the next year and a half for either platform if general consumers cannot purchase your consoles.

It's going to be difficult for most consumers that want either platform to buy into it for the near future. With shortages and difficulties expected to last into early 2022 to even mid 2022, all of this talk of exclusives is irrelevant for the next year.

Last edited:
Exclusives don't matter for the next year and a half for either platform if general consumers cannot purchase your consoles.

It's going to be difficult for most consumers that want either platform to buy into it for the near future. With shortages and difficulties expected to last into early 2022 to even mid 2022, all of this talk of exclusives is irrelevant for the next year.

Microsoft said their consoles should be easier to find in the summer

laynelane

Nah FF16 is on par with Star Citizen.

WRPGs in general are far more popular than JRPGs. Even big ones like FF. Skyrim sold millions more than any FF game, and Star Citizen is going to be bigger than Fallout and Skyrim combined. THere is a massive market for SciFi WRPGs.

I would also not dismiss Halo Infinite despite the poor reception to the reveal. It has nearly a 1000 devs working on it. It's been in dev for 6 years. it's too big to fail. I think it will be a GOTY contender. They seem to have a bit too ambitious with it which caused a bunch of issues, but that doesnt mean the game wont deliver. See Uncharted 4 and TLOU2, both of which had troubled development, but were still big GOTY winners in their years.

The worst thing about Gears 4, 5 and Halo 5 is that they felt too familiar, were too mediocre and safe. Halo Infinite is anything but safe. Even if it doesnt hit all the notes, they change in formula alone will win it some praise.

If MS can get Infinite and Star Citizen out this year, it would be a massive get. I am expecting Star Citizen to be a seminal title. It will blow people away, and Infinite could be a very solid AAA entry as well.

I dont think anyone is stopping this Sony train though. Star Citizen would be a big indicator if it manages to make Xbox THE go to platform of choice this holiday season.

Like the person you replied to, FF16 is also more important to me than all the games you described. It's not about what is most popular, but what I personally like. About Star Citizen, what do you mean by releasing it? Isn't it still currently in Alpha?

Woopah

That's because they can't find any genuine complaints with their games, so they make up stupid ones, like why are they using a third-person camera and not first-person camera.
It's a pretty silly complaint. I think it's way better to celebrate the good things a company does (even if they're not games you are personally interest in) rather than trying to find reasons to attack a company just because you're on a different 'team'

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
I said it recently that the PS4/XB1 gen was the period where both companies basically swapped their output - up until previous gen started, MS used to be the console with dude-bro shooters and pretty much nothing else, whereas Sony was the companies that was associated with a broad variety of content, and today it's Sony who's focused solely on one type of games (TPP story-driven titles), and MS covering all sorts of genres. But hey, this gen has just began, let's see how it pans out in 3-4 years from today, maybe something will change.
This isn't true. It's just a narrative that PS no longer has variety

Astro's Playroom
Sackboy
Concrete Genie
Street Fighter V
Alienation
Guilty Gear Strive
Granblue Fantasy Relink
Returnal
Sakura Wars
Killzone
Granblue Fantasy VS
Nex Machina
Matterfall
Gravity Rush 2
Driveclub
Gran Turismo 7
Fighting EX Layer
Bloodborne

The list goes on

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
No doubt Sony has the monopoly on single player, story driven, third person games. They don't have much for variety outside of those major components and I have not seen a fantastic multiplayer game from them in a long time. If you are big on playing alone they have you covered in spades. If you want to play with your friends...well I guess you can always do that video share thing to watch your friends play alone.
I'm not big on multiplayer but Ghost of Tsushima has good multiplayer and a great SP campaign

ZehDon

I'm stating a fact. Exclusive games are about 1% of the store for both Sony and MS. If you want multigenre games there's many in the 99% common for both machines...
Why are you talking about multi-platform games in a thread created to discuss PlayStation's Exclusive Software Output? I'm talking about Sony's exclusive output, why aren't you?
I'm not here to defend Sony, personally i think their games are the best of the industry...
Well, I guess that makes sense now...

truth411

There are many people who think that XGS will overshadow PlayStation Studios, at least in quantity of games. The idea of releasing one AAA game every 3 months also created a lot of buzz on the internet, and many implied that Sony is now lagging behind. We hear the argument 13 studios vs. 23 studios quite frequently, too.

I just wanted to analyze their output from the recent past and put things into perspective that there are actually better and more exclusive games coming out for PlayStation gamers (before their investments) than what their main direct competitor is hoping to get to in the next few years.
Note:
Insomniac is really 2 studios.
One in California and another in N. Carolina.

1 company, but 2 studios.
Right now the studio in Cal. Works on Spiderman.
N. Carolina did RatchetnClank.

Last edited:

Gaelyon

Gold Member
Why are you talking about multi-platform games in a thread created to discuss PlayStation's Exclusive Software Output? I'm talking about Sony's exclusive output, why aren't you?

Well, I guess that makes sense now...
I'm replying to people like you, that can't really dismiss Sony's exclusive software ouput which is clearly above both MS and Nintendo for years now (in quantity, pacing and quality) and just pretend there's a lack of diversity instead. That diversity is to be found in the thousands of titles in the store, that's it. Exclusives are just the best games of the industry (for the most part) but if you need more "diversity" you'll find it on both stores which are 99% identical.

ZehDon

I'm replying to people like you, that can't really dismiss Sony's exclusive software ouput which is clearly above both MS and Nintendo for years now (in quantity, pacing and quality) and just pretend there's a lack of diversity instead. That diversity is to be found in the thousands of titles in the store, that's it. Exclusives are just the best games of the industry (for the most part) but if you need more "diversity" you'll find it on both stores which are 99% identical.
Well, at least you've dropped the pretence. So, anyone who doesn't agree must be lying / pretending that their opinion is real, because who could possibly disagree - Sony games are best games! Why did you even bother replying if you're this disinterested in contributing to the thread topic?

"I'd like to play something other than a third person action adventure game. What do you have for me?"
"LIAR! YOU'RE JUST PRETENDING!!!"

Gotta beat that Sony drum, I guess.

Gaelyon

Gold Member
Well, at least you've dropped the pretence. So, anyone who doesn't agree must be lying / pretending that their opinion is real, because who could possibly disagree - Sony games are best games! Why did you even bother replying if you're this disinterested in contributing to the thread topic?

"I'd like to play something other than a third person action adventure game. What do you have for me?"
"LIAR! YOU'RE JUST PRETENDING!!!"

Gotta beat that Sony drum, I guess.
You'd like to play something other than a third person action adventure game but you have hundreds of games that aren't third person action adventure games on the store. So what is the problem again ?
There's some genre not very well reprensented on console, like simulation or RTS games, but it's not particuliar to Sony.

I understand that you'd want sony exclusive to be of a different genre than TPAAG (some are), but so far it does work for them. Their output is factually unmatched. They won't change that unless the market shift for another type of blockbusters games.

Top Bottom