• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Analyst - "One of my favorite studios, Tokyo-based FromSoftware, is currently rumored to be an M&A candidate for Sony."

Zeroing

Banned
"Hardly change anything" LOL! Sony would immediately fuck over both Xbox and PC gamers that make up the majority of Souls-fans, so the entire community would be broken. MAYBE us PC gamers would get a port of future From games years later, but looking at how Bloodborne and Demon's Souls is still not available on PC I wouldn't hold my breath.
lol you made it sound like Sony does that! In fact Sony has been releasing games their games on PC, bungie remaining 3rd party all those 2 examples alone show that you’re wrong.

You know those games were made for their console! They don’t own PC gamers anything! They also wouldn’t own Xbox gamers anything specially after the party they done over Bethesda becoming exclusive!

The port begging is amazing!

Ozriel

M$FT
nah, I am talking about MS, put that money on new studios, hire new people fresh out of school. Make them do new IPs, even if it fails it would be better than going out shopping like an entitled rich kid. Even Sony did it with pixel opus. Why MS cannot?

…but they’re doing that already.

Bit tired of this day one obsession from the green rats. I heard last year we were going to get Tsushima, Returnal, Demon’s Souls on PC after 6 months of exclusivity and then everything would be day one going forward. GT7 was going to be day-one.

Mr Mayor Waiting GIF by NBC

Why do you need this day-one validation? Because Xbox does it? I don’t get it.

Why do many of you forget you’re consumers? Day one on PC means more options for many for potentially better fidelity or lower prices.

There’s no indication that a day one release would harm profitability for Sony. In fact, they’d sell more games. Consoles themselves are low margin so the only areas of vulnerability could be reduced subscription fees for online play.

You’re a consumer. Act like it.

Orbital2060

Because MS will actually keep the game multiplat on PC and Xbox where the majority of the Souls community is.

The Souls series became the phenomenon it is today DESPITE of Sony who thought Demon's Souls was so terrible that they didn't even want to publish the game themselves. There was a lot of bad blood between Sony and From due to how shitty Sony treated them back then.

Yeah, Yoshida has been pretty honest about it.

"For my personal experience with Demon's Souls, when it was close to final I spent close to two hours playing it and after two hours I was still standing at the beginning at the game. I said, 'This is crap. This is an unbelievably bad game.' So I put it aside.
"We definitely dropped the ball from a publishing standpoint, including studio management side. We were not able to see the value of the product we were making."

https://www.eurogamer.net/sony-admits-dropping-the-ball-with-demons-souls

He admits Sony dropped the ball, and also blames Japanese media. Luckily Eurogamer still reviewed the game and got it right, while Edge magazine didnt even review it for some reason - maybe following the trend from Sony/Japan media.

Thats where Namco and Atlus came in and published the game in North America and Europe.

Orbital2060

From already had 3 exclusives with Sony and all their games released on PlayStation, it would hardly change anything except maybe for people that only play on Xbox. The majority of From Software fans own a PlayStation or at least a PC.

If they stop releasing on Xbox just play the games over the cloud on PS+, isn't that the future anyway?
Thats not correct, Ninja Blade and Otogi are Xbox and Windows exclusives.

arvfab

Banned
Why do many of you forget you’re consumers? Day one on PC means more options for many for potentially better fidelity or lower prices.

There’s no indication that a day one release would harm profitability for Sony. In fact, they’d sell more games. Consoles themselves are low margin so the only areas of vulnerability could be reduced subscription fees for online play.

You’re a consumer. Act like it.

As a mainly console comsumer I want the best possible product on my console of choice. No matter how easy it is to move sliders up and down to adjust graphic settings, if a dev only needs to optimize for a single platform, I will - probably - get a better product.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
making From games PS exclusive would give me a reason to get a PS5. would rather they just stay multi platform. don't want to have to buy a console just for one game.

Last edited:

SSfox

Bethesda wasn't exactly hurting as a 3rd party multiplatform developer/publisher. That's not what decides who gets bought up and who doesn't.
Acti and Beth were doing fine as 3rd, most of their games even sells more in PS than Xbox, but you have those Xbox fanboys that were happy that MS aquired both now coming and try to explain us that "MUH Sony shouldn't buy FS because it will hurt the industry MUH"

bitbydeath

Sony dont need the Elden Ring IP, they would have From and Miyazaki. They would be looking at making new IP's. Nobody could make another ER without Miyazaki without fucking it up so its worthless.
It’d be a good combatant to losing Elder Scrolls though.

Topher

Gold Member
Because MS will actually keep the game multiplat on PC and Xbox where the majority of the Souls community is.

The Souls series became the phenomenon it is today DESPITE of Sony who thought Demon's Souls was so terrible that they didn't even want to publish the game themselves. There was a lot of bad blood between Sony and From due to how shitty Sony treated them back then.

I don't know the breakdown of From's games by platform but PC is probably the largest followed by PlayStation so if anyone acquiring From "makes sense" then it would probably be Sony.

And considering Sony and From made Bloodborne together, I'd say any issues over Demon Soul's is water under the bridge.

What does Elden Ring has to do with Elder Scrolls? When is the next Elder Scrolls game coming out anyway? It took Bethesda 4 years between Fallout 76 and Starfield (7 years if you consider Fallout 4 as their last big game release).

I doubt Sony is buying From Software because they are worried about something that might happen in 2026~2029. If they end up buying From Software it's because of all their success since Demon's Souls released back in 2009.

Last edited:
Acti and Beth were doing fine as 3rd, most of their games even sells more in PS than Xbox, but you have those Xbox fanboys that were happy that MS aquired both now coming and try to explain us that "MUH Sony shouldn't buy FS because it will hurt the industry MUH"

From what I understand, Zenimax weren’t doing too well and were bleeding money. The whispers were that Sony, in addition to locking down Ghostwire and Deathloop, were involved in Starfield exclusivity deals too. Sony saw an opportunity, Microsoft ultimately took the whole deck of cards.

If Sony do end up buying them, I hope they are smart enough to keep the day and date releases on PC. They’d easily have their best Day One sales that way and would break records for SIE.

Ozriel

M$FT
As a mainly console comsumer I want the best possible product on my console of choice. No matter how easy it is to move sliders up and down to adjust graphic settings, if a dev only needs to optimize for a single platform, I will - probably - get a better product.

Making PC ports day one will not change anything about your end product as a console owner.

Treat the PS5 as the lead platform, and then take off the limits for PC. Done.

depends on your definition of the time frame!

Yeah it’s easy to talk, have you tried to convince people here that brand loyalty is bad? That corporations buying big publishers will not add anything positive for anyone expect for brand wars points? I could had used your help back then!

Happily enough, I’ve always been a multi-console owner, so acquisitions don’t really affect my options in anyway

yurinka

From already had 3 exclusives with Sony and all their recent games released on PlayStation, it would hardly change anything except maybe for people that only play on Xbox. The majority of From Software fans own a PlayStation or at least a PC.

If they stop releasing on Xbox just play the games over the cloud on PS+, isn't that the future anyway?
From Software has made some dozens of PS exlusives since back to the PS1 days: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FromSoftware#Games
It's funny how it becomes near impossible for Sony to buy any company that might cost $4-5 billion? Not that FromSoft or Kadokawa would cost that much.
The whole Kadokawa -which would include FromSoft- paid with a good premium, and adding on top a good extra chunk of money for retention bonuses as they did with Bungie could cost $5B.

In addition to From Software, Kadokawa has multiple gamers publisher and development studios, a catalog of a lot of Japanese games and IPs, including several dozens of PS exclusive games, plus many anime IPs and production teams, publishing labels huge anime catalog for Crunchyroll, Japanes movies and tv shows for Sony Pictures, music stuff for Sony Music and he biggest manga/book/magazines/artbooks/game guides publishing label in Japan.

Last edited:

onesvenus

I don't know the breakdown of From's games by platform but PC is probably the largest followed by PlayStation so if anyone acquiring From "makes sense" then it would probably be Sony.
If PC is the largest, wouldn't someone who releases games on PC on the release day make more sense?
Good luck convincing PC players, which as you say are probably the largest, that Sony, who releases games on PC six month later at the earliest, is the best one to buy From

In an ideal world, exclusive shit wouldn't be a thing.
oh thats boring imagine all technology have all the same features, all cars offer the same features, all businesses offer the same benefits.... yeahhh lets offer the same things and not differientiate from the competition what a loser dont get into business

ppl that say this are dumb.

dezzy8

PlayStation is the most overrated gaming company in the space....

I'm not 12 kid. I have been playing video games before you were born. 1975 is when I started playing video games. PlayStation is vastly overrated today. God Of War is nice, but nothing that can't be done elsewhere.
Sure they’re doing stuff that can be done elsewhere. But they’re the only ones doing it. So stop hating.

ChorizoPicozo

Gold Member
oh thats boring imagine all technology have all the same features, all cars offer the same features, all businesses offer the same benefits.... yeahhh lets offer the same things and not differientiate from the competition what a loser dont get into business

ppl that say this are dumb.
Exactly. Competition drive Big Dick Energy

Spitfire098

PlayStation is the most overrated gaming company in the space....

I'm not 12 kid. I have been playing video games before you were born. 1975 is when I started playing video games. PlayStation is vastly overrated today. God Of War is nice, but nothing that can't be done elsewhere.
Salt Bae Cooking GIF by Nickelodeon
Salt Bae Cooking GIF by CBC

Loope

Like i said in the Bethesda deal thread. I really don't care, as long as they release the games on PC,i'm fine with it. With MS we know they will all release on PC, with Sony we don't. Either way there's always PSNow, no way i'm buying a console for 1 or 2 games.

Topher

Gold Member
If PC is the largest, wouldn't someone who releases games on PC on the release day make more sense?
Good luck convincing PC players, which as you say are probably the largest, that Sony, who releases games on PC six month later at the earliest, is the best one to buy From

I'm not convinced Sony wouldn't release From games on PC day one for that exact reason. Sony has already shown they are willing to be less stringent in supporting non-PS platforms with the acquisition of Bungie and their handling of the MLB franchise. And they have already said they would be increasing support on PC with their other first party games.

And yes, PC gamers have had to wait on ports before and typically they embrace them when they come. Don't see any issues either way, frankly.

Zeroing

Banned
Making PC ports day one will not change anything about your end product as a console owner.

Treat the PS5 as the lead platform, and then take off the limits for PC. Done.

Happily enough, I’ve always been a multi-console owner, so acquisitions don’t really affect my options in anyway
I also have them all, but not all people can afford them and taking a publisher and making it exclusive doesn’t benefit anyone. So I’m glad we can express that view and remain unbiased!

If you think Elder Scrolls won't show up on a console that moves an average of 100 million units per gen and only sells games at full price (on day one), you're sadly, sadly mistaken.

Having TES 6 on gamepass day one on Xbox and $70 on PS5 benefits microsoft twice; once because their console looks the better value, and again for when they cream in the benefits of selling games at $70 a pop.

If you think Elder Scrolls won't show up on a console that moves an average of 100 million units per gen and only sells games at full price (on day one), you're sadly, sadly mistaken.

Having TES 6 on gamepass day one on Xbox and $70 on PS5 benefits microsoft twice; once because their console looks the better value, and again for when they cream in the benefits of selling games at $70 a pop.

I don’t think we’ll see Bethesda games on PS5 outside of online dependent games.

bitbydeath

What does Elden Ring has to do with Elder Scrolls? When is the next Elder Scrolls game coming out anyway? It took Bethesda 4 years between Fallout 76 and Starfield (7 years if you consider Fallout 4 as their last big game release).

I doubt Sony is buying From Software because they are worried about something that might happen in 2026~2029. If they end up buying From Software it's because of all their success since Demon's Souls released back in 2009.
They’re similar games.

Top Bottom