• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Analyst - "One of my favorite studios, Tokyo-based FromSoftware, is currently rumored to be an M&A candidate for Sony."

Docwiz2

Banned
PlayStation Studios...

1) Motion Captured animation - Just like the rest of the industry (check)
2) Voice acting - Just like the rest of the industry (check)
3) GAAS - Just like the rest of the industry (check)
4) The same games over and over and over and over and over and over and over again (check)
5) $70 games (because we are special, that's right, just believe us)
6) MTX - Because you want to win right? Pay us to win!!!! yay!!!!!

No thanks guys.... I will keep my money for something that is worth it...

PlayStation Studios...

4) The same games over and over and over and over and over and over and over again (check)

Well when they buy Fromsoft then you will have a reason to spend 70 dollars, sounds like a good plan to me

ChorizoPicozo

Gold Member
PlayStation Studios...

w82UTRN.gif

Docwiz2

Banned
If they buy them, great.... If they don't, great.....

I don't really care about PlayStation at this point and nobody else should either....
They are just pointless.... They have 10 GAAS games, great!!!

They are so boring at this point.... Who cares about yet another Spider-Man or another TLOU?????????

I mean, they have no games so they have to buy them from other companies such as Bethesda and Square Enix.

ChorizoPicozo

Gold Member
If they buy them, great.... If they don't, great.....

I don't really care about PlayStation at this point and nobody else should either....
They are just pointless.... They have 10 GAAS games, great!!!

They are so boring at this point.... Who cares about yet another Spider-Man or another TLOU?????????

I mean, they have no games so they have to buy them from other companies such as Bethesda and Square Enix.
Are you finished?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
The twitter thread is just the dude sharing From's history preceded by him talking about a rumor that's been floating around for years.

The article in OP says "popular gaming insider claims". Nothing like that happened lol.

How y'all pounce on things is amazing.

Last edited:

Docwiz2

Banned
Do I honestly think that Sony has money left for something this big? No...

How many billions do they have anyway? They just gave a billion to Epic and a ton to Bungie, and for their silly Anime... Microsoft is buying Activision Blizzard for $70 billion dollars IN CASH. Sony is poor, how are they going to keep buying companies unless they are on the cheap?

ChorizoPicozo

Gold Member
Do I honestly think that Sony has money left for something this big? No...

How many billions do they have anyway? They just gave a billion to Epic and a ton to Bungie, and for their silly Anime... Microsoft is buying Activision Blizzard for $70 billion dollars IN CASH. Sony is poor, how are they going to keep buying companies unless they are on the cheap?
Fwe2MiI.gif

Docwiz2

Banned
The twitter thread is just the dude sharing From's history preceded by him talking about a rumor that's been floating around for years.

How y'all pounce on things is amazing.

You can't buy things if you don't have the money.... I thought you all would know this by now.... Sony fans think that Sony is Microsoft all of a sudden.... LOL! Kids you never learn or listen....

MonarchJT

Banned
So, another candidate to the list.
Sony:
SE, Capcom, TrolljimaPro, FromSoftware, konami's IPs.
What are next acquisition rumors form MS?
? ms just buying the biggest pub in the industry. With their past rpg acquisition the last money they need to spend is for someone like fromsoft who aside from currently having a game model that is very trendy (but that after the open world I do not see how they can innovate a formula that in my opinion is becoming repetitive in a very short time), technically are not exactly what we would call a great studio. In practice, if this story is true ...... I'm afraid that Sony is doing it in a reactionary way fromsoft (although all the outlets have done everything with their votes to make elden ring a sort of masterpiece ,but just look at the contrast with the vote given by users on all platforms) are not one of those studios that change the fate of a console.

Last edited:
After Elden Ring?

Meryl Streep Doubt GIF

I doubt they are being acquired but this line of thinking never made sense to me. Of course after Elden Ring, companies usually get bought when they can get the most value for them, thats would be now.

Do people think Fromsoft or even kadokawa went from being worth 3 billion to 8 billion because elden ring sold 12 million copies, which they don’t own the rights to? Lol

Last edited:

yurinka

"rumored to be an M&A candidate" = bullshit out of his ass

For sure it would be a great acquisition, and the whole Kadokawa specially if rearranged into split it into a single Kadokawa Games company featuring all their game IPs, game publishing labels and game dev studios directly under it to put Kadokawa Games under SIE (and move FromSoft to PS Studios), then to make another company to put all the anime/movies/tv show under it and to put it under Sony Pictures, another one with the music stuff for Sony Music, another company to put all their manga/books/magazines/guides under it etc.

Last edited:

MonarchJT

Banned
I doubt they are being acquired but this line of thinking never made sense to me. Of course after Elden Ring, companies usually get bought when they can get the most value for them, thats would be now.

Do people think Fromsoft or even kadokawa went from being with 3 billion to 8 billion because elden ring sold 12 million copies, which they don’t own the rights to? Lol
they would pay them with a unimaginable premium price for a studio that still has problems fixing the most obvious bugs in their own games. Moreover, in a world where competition does not appear has the slightest interest in blowing the buying opportunity from them and that in any case Sony would continue to receive its games.Right now economically is the worst time to acquire this studio.

Last edited:
they would pay them with a unimaginable premium price for a studio that still has problems fixing the most obvious bugs in their own games. Moreover, in a world where competition does not appear has the slightest interest in blowing the buying opportunity from them and that in any case Sony would continue to receive its games.Right now economically is the worst time to acquire this studio.
Doesn’t matter what this theoretical “premium” is…If Sony actually wanted to buy them, they could, easily. They already own 3 of their IP and 2% of the company.

And yeah, they would probably just buy Kadokawa, not From

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned
Call me crazy but xbox and ps buying bethesda, activision, from, bungie are lazy ways on creating first party line up

Money should be spend elsewhere building their own first party game

Last edited:
Call me crazy but xbox and ps buying bethesda, activision, from, bungie are lazy ways on creating first party line up

Money should be spend elsewhere building their own first party game

Pretty sure they are doing all the above. It’s not an either/or situation.

You can look up any microsoft or playstation studio to see how many people they are hiring. The problem is that talent is a finite resource. You cant just double the size of every studio becuase you have money, you need to get veterans designers to make the games, which there are only so many of.

After a while the only way to really expand your software offerings is to buy an already established studio.

Last edited:
Why would I cry??? It's the truth. I just don't see a need for PlayStation in this industry anymore and it has nothing to do with this purchase.

PlayStation was at it's best when Xbox was dead, now PlayStation just looks best at third party. I mean look at Bungie, it's just more $$$$ for them...

Protip kid: Sony doesn't care about you, they care about your money. You are nothing for them but just dollar bills.

You are basically their whore....

You are mad my friend. I may not like how Sony is with certain things, but they are absolutely NECESSARY in this industry. It keeps Xbox and Microsoft a bit more honest about certain things. That counter-balance is necessary.

I wouldn't be surprised. Now the question is how do Sony and MS want to play this arms race? Do you make everything exclusive or do you play nice? Knowing that there would be countermoves.

Zeroing

Banned
From
Kojima
Take 2

Sony doesn’t need to make more acquisitions… Jimbo will be remembered as God.
Actually all he needs is to get 1 of them and people would have meltdowns.
I have no problem with exclusive games but at same time I don’t wan devs like FROM, Capcom and Vanillaware to be exclusive to one system.
If only we could turn back time and prevent all this acquisition craziness from happen...

Fredrik

If only we could turn back time and prevent all this acquisition craziness from happen...
Yeah it all sucks to be honest. We can only hope something good comes from the Bungie and ActivisionBlizzard acquisitions where exclusives play a smaller role.
I play on all platforms but I have so many friends that are directly affected by this madness. And even I get annoyed since I can no longer choose the hardware where a game would run the best.

Last edited:
Top Bottom