• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Analyst: Nintendo Switch Will Outsell Both PS5 And Xbox Series X This Holiday

• “Nintendo Switch will be the best-selling console of holiday 2020 – Switch will also be a hot holiday gifting item with more households picking up multiple Switch consoles in the fourth quarter. The lack of available inventory of new PlayStations and Xbox systems will leave Switch as an appealing available option (although supply may still be difficult to find).”

It's hard enough to locate a standard Switch without paying jacked up prices.

That said as a new Switch Lite owners I'm pretty happy with it.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Obviously.

Where else am I going to play WiiU games?

Edit: Just going to add an obligatory "jk" in here before people whine.

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned
I think PS4 might even do it if it has enough of a price drop.

limited supply, high prices, and no big game thats a must have thats really NEXT GEN.

Yeah this isn't exactly a surprise. The manufacturing constraints for the new consoles will prevent them from selling more than the Switch.
Not surprised, there are not enough for pre orders...
Maybe, but I see this being a limitation of supply for the next-gen consoles, rather than a limitation of demand. If Sony had 5 million PS5's on shelves, I'd wager they'd sell every last one by Christmas.
Neither would outsell the Switch even if supply wasn’t an issue.

rapid32.5

No shit, a mass produced system will outsell consoles with no real world confirmed and manufactured numbers. In any case both PS5 and XsX are sold out.

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
Limited supply is the first thing on all of our minds, but I wouldn’t be surprised if Switch still outsold these systems, or came close, even if they produced all they could sell.

The launch bump is massive, of course, but the Switch is also in the middle of a phenomenal mainstream run, and these consoles are somewhat expensive, and don’t have a whole lot to play on them.

InDaGulag

Duh. We're in the worse economic depression since the Great Depression. And it's only been 10 years since the Great Recession. The average person, especially one under 40, is suffering right now.

If you think they're going to splurge more than $500USD on a toy you're out of touch. The Switch at a much lower price and coming with portability and 2 player support right at the bat is a much better deal.

zcaa0g

Banned
It's no suprise, there are more dumb people than intelligent people and people have low standards for game quality. People like the same old recycled shit with low poly counts and blurry textures for some reason. And there is the whole limited supply issue with the new consoles.

Last edited:

NikuNashi

Well there is no stock anywhere in Tokyo and hasn't been for 2 months. Its going to be quite hard to do that without manufacturing and releasing units.

MagnesG

Banned
Well there is no stock anywhere in Tokyo and hasn't been for 2 months. Its going to be quite hard to do that without manufacturing and releasing units.
Nintendo would always prepare a massive amount of stocks for the holidays though.

0b8.gif

Fuck yes it will, I can smell the salt coming and it's going to be glorious. We're catching glimpses of it already ITT.

Duh. We're in the worse economic depression since the Great Depression. And it's only been 10 years since the Great Recession. The average person, especially one under 40, is suffering right now.

If you think they're going to splurge more than $500USD on a toy you're out of touch. The Switch at a much lower price and coming with portability and 2 player support right at the bat is a much better deal.

The slowed economy isn’t going to impact games that much, when times get rough people spend more money on entertainment.

Think about it...both the PS5 and Series X are sold out before they even hit stores. Have you seen the lengths people were taking just to secure a PS5 pre-order?

TLZ

Banned

Nope.

Incredibly high Switch demand + incredibly limited PS5 supply + price difference of $100+ = incredibly high chance of Nintendo taking both the holidays and Q1 next year.

I don't think supply with be that limited.
Especially for Xbox with less demand in Europe and Asia.

In 2013 Xbox One Sold 1.8 million and Ps4 sold 2 million units.
This year we'll have higher launch sales.

Around 3 million Xbox Series X|S and 2.5 million Ps5 at least.

Last edited:
If PS5 is sold put globally at launch, it have better launch than switch then

Because switch didnt sell out globally, just on many countries but on some it have never been sold out even for a day (they were easily available online + on multiple cities on launch day, eveneing, weekend and every day after that here)

If Sony would make 20m PS5s on launch, I bet those would still sell fast.

So technically it could be true, when next gen is supply limited but that is hardly a news

Chastten

Banned
Easy to believe. PS5 is already sold out and I guess Sony is struggling to produce more units before the holidays.

Nintendo might not have a killer app this winter, but a possible small pricedrop, Hyrule Warriors 2, and the evergreen titles like Mario Kart 8, Smash Ultimate and Animal Crossing will make it a very populair Xmas present.

Enzo88

It's no suprise, there are more dumb people than intelligent people and people have low standards for game quality. People like the same old recycled shit with low poly counts and blurry textures for some reason. And there is the whole limited supply issue with the new consoles.
Is this serious? XD

geordiemp

Maybe, but I see this being a limitation of supply for the next-gen consoles, rather than a limitation of demand. If Sony had 5 million PS5's on shelves, I'd wager they'd sell every last one by Christmas.

Yup it depends on production ramps and more importantly shipping time takes too long. Cant air frieght every console.

Aidah

No shit. Nintendo is looking to ship 30 million for the year (beyond crazy), plus PS5 will be very supply constrained (and Xbox too since we're talking about US market).

Moses85

wow, what a Performance.

A console which is available since 3,5 years and also easy to produce will outsell consoles which won’t be available again before 2021.

giphy.gif

LarknThe4th

Lifetime the Switch will most probably outsell the PS5

But launch wise, I think Sony are confident they can make a lot of boxes and they should be able to sell what they make for the first year

So I expect PS5 to come out hot and be th big ticket item this Christmas

I wouldn't be surprised. This year should be the Switch's sales peak, while next gen systems, particularly the PS5, will have no where near enough stock to meet the worldwide demand.

Top Bottom