• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Analyst: "20 million PC gamers will switch to Consoles (XB/PS) within the next three years due to PC gaming being dead"

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
i tried to game on my pc.
went back to my xbox one x just way easier to set up .
Hdr 4k + gamepass = bli s s

i do like VR games on my pc. But i always get consoles games when i can. They
are just better on consoles tbh

Last edited:

EDMIX

Your example of Stalker is an example of what pcgaming was back in the day. Stalker was a game that was made for pc only. It was one of the last cool fairly big pc only single player games. But that was 12 years ago.

That's why I was a pcgamer. Pcgaming had the more in depth cutting edge games that you couldn't find elsewhere. Now....you just get console ports. Not the same.

Agreed. I noticed that too and won't waste the time replying. That point only shows its getting less of that when the example is of such a old game

What is it about the personal computer that inspires such hate?

Thats a good sign IMO. So much hate on a platform must mean its doing well.

No there is more reason to own a console. Almost all the games are on console. They are designed for console first. Consoles are cheaper. Consoles are less hassle. Consoles hook up to your tvs which look better than the average monitor. And then you just aren't getting that much better graphics these days by going pc. Plus now consoles have mid-cycle more powerful "Pro" models assuming that continues next-gen.

There is less reason to own a console. Back in the days, eg 6th gen, you got much more hardware for the price, MUCH more exclusives, and 3rd party titles like timesplitters went never to PC. Games are designed for the lowest common dominator, for this gen that ment Xbox One, and base PS4 to some extend, that means Pro and One X users got the same 'PC problem then'. On pc you can go much higher settings/FPS, FOV, and control input then Pro and One X can dream of though. Im not seeing ray tracing on those consoles either. PC's where much more hassle 20 years ago then now, W10 is a great improvement for gaming and everyday use if we compare to W95, W98, XP etc. With HDMI or DisplayPort its just as easy connecting your pc to a TV then its with a console, theres litteraly no settings or tweaking involved, it detects automaticly.
Also since PS4 gen, theres less need to upgrade. One of my main rigs is a i7 920 /GTX670, it handles multiplats better then the base PS4 does, even modern day titles.
Yes you get much better graphics on pc, if you have higher end hardware, compared to One X and Pro. Just watch DF's BFV comparison to the One X, quite huge differences, and thats the highest end console, and not including Ray Tracing.
MineCraft RT is amazing, best looking graphics to date IMO. Runs on a 970 too.

Theres just less to it then before to owning a console, main reason are AAA exclusives, how many are that? 20 games max? A person aint even going to be intrested in all 20. Thats only Sony then. Theres a trend in AAA's coming to pc though, Detroit Become Human, one of the top graphics on PS4 will land on PC soon.
Everything MicroSoft is PC too, if PC is so dead/bad, its same with Xbox then.

you just get console ports.

Same could be said for consoles, almost everythings cross platform these days, even japanese games which never saw PC before, in special things like Tekken, DMC, MK etc, even ZOE2, Okami are on PC now. For ports, they obviously run better on pc too.

Agreed. I noticed that too and won't waste the time replying. That point only shows its getting less of that when the example is of such a old game

Even modern games can be modded though, sometimes its even needed to get things corrected.

Your example of Stalker is an example of what pcgaming was back in the day. Stalker was a game that was made for pc only. It was one of the last cool fairly big pc only single player games. But that was 12 years ago.

That's why I was a pcgamer. Pcgaming had the more in depth cutting edge games that you couldn't find elsewhere. Now....you just get console ports. Not the same.

My example of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. doesn't have anything to do with what PC gaming was "back in the day", the reason i mentioned that video game is because it's one of my favorite games ever made and has a huge modding community that has made content for it as recently as 2019. Although it's worth noting that "back in the day" wen S.T.A.L.K.E.R. released the PC gaming landscape was less inviting than it is today. No, that example was meant as a showcase from a bullet point of that list i've written to show the customizability potential of software on PC.

Saying that you "were" a PC gamer, or announcing your dismissal of my post is completely meaningless because i don't care about the preferences you had in the past, or about you as an individual. I like to chat with people about a shared hobby, for example, but if you've nothing of value to add, then .. ?

PC gaming is not dead,its more expensive at first glance,and looking at google and what its trying to do feels the other way around,but right now if we are going by multiplayer games ,there are more people playing on consoles,blackops 4 I think has double the players on consoles than PC

Last edited:
Analysts are paid to make predictions - and they just make them, because they can<t say they have no clue!

I accidentally left out freesync. Those three things are a must for me. Sony at the moment for some stupid reason doesn't support freeysync while xbox does.
While I love freesync, I wouldn't buy a new TV just for that, this is probably Sony's reasoning around the lack of support, few will take advantage of it (I do have a 4k monitor that has basic support for it).

PerfectDark

Banned
PC games are lacking but console games playable on PC are allot more common. What made PC great for me like 20 years ago was way more players in fps games like battlefield. MMO's, RTS, and ARPG games like Diablo.

I think all games are lacking but the gap from console to PC is closer then ever besides M&K. If a console aloud m&k in games or instead of stupid 4k only let you play at 120fps they would close the gap more. For me Xb1 x supporting freesync a year ago showed they want to be current with hardware and features.

I have little boys so couch coop trumps everything. I am not building 3 gaming PC's every 2 years so we can game when so few good games ever come out.

Also people forget when adults in thier mid 30s like me started gaming when the first Nintendo came out we were the first to start the gaming wave. Now we play games, have kids that play games, even some have kids who have kids playing games. Thats why gaming is more popular then ever. Not because these trash games and systems can even hold a candle to the greatness of the 90s and early 2000's. Sorry but games were once made because people loved games not loved scamming money.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Thats a good sign IMO. So much hate on a platform must mean its doing well.

There is less reason to own a console. Back in the days, eg 6th gen, you got much more hardware for the price, MUCH more exclusives, and 3rd party titles like timesplitters went never to PC. Games are designed for the lowest common dominator, for this gen that ment Xbox One, and base PS4 to some extend, that means Pro and One X users got the same 'PC problem then'. On pc you can go much higher settings/FPS, FOV, and control input then Pro and One X can dream of though. Im not seeing ray tracing on those consoles either. PC's where much more hassle 20 years ago then now, W10 is a great improvement for gaming and everyday use if we compare to W95, W98, XP etc. With HDMI or DisplayPort its just as easy connecting your pc to a TV then its with a console, theres litteraly no settings or tweaking involved, it detects automaticly.
Also since PS4 gen, theres less need to upgrade. One of my main rigs is a i7 920 /GTX670, it handles multiplats better then the base PS4 does, even modern day titles.
Yes you get much better graphics on pc, if you have higher end hardware, compared to One X and Pro. Just watch DF's BFV comparison to the One X, quite huge differences, and thats the highest end console, and not including Ray Tracing.
MineCraft RT is amazing, best looking graphics to date IMO. Runs on a 970 too.

Theres just less to it then before to owning a console, main reason are AAA exclusives, how many are that? 20 games max? A person aint even going to be intrested in all 20. Thats only Sony then. Theres a trend in AAA's coming to pc though, Detroit Become Human, one of the top graphics on PS4 will land on PC soon.
Everything MicroSoft is PC too, if PC is so dead/bad, its same with Xbox then.

Same could be said for consoles, almost everythings cross platform these days, even japanese games which never saw PC before, in special things like Tekken, DMC, MK etc, even ZOE2, Okami are on PC now. For ports, they obviously run better on pc too.

Even modern games can be modded though, sometimes its even needed to get things corrected.

"Even modern games can be modded though, sometimes its even needed to get things corrected." Well I'm not disputing or debating that. Simply that the days of PC exclusives are pretty much done in terms of AAA ones and the modularity of PC is why you see publishers no longer seeking the platform for any type of exclusives of the AAA variety.

With consoles taking more and more from PC, mods soon will easily be a standard thing in some of those AAA titles the more and more those consoles use parts from PCs and the architecture becomes more and more like PC. Look at Fallout 4 or Skyrim or Farming Simulator 17 etc So nothing is wrong with Japan showing some love to PC, simply that the platform is offering the least in AAA exclusive content then probably any time in the install bases history.

That is reason alone to always have a PC second and not as a only source. I love that Yakuza is getting entries on PC, no complaints here my friend. I also love getting them day 1 and by default vs waiting and playing a maybe type game. That becomes harder and harder to except when the platform has a massive questionmark with AAA exclusives and still questionable on other console titles. I'll always have BOTH as I see zero benefit to only owning a PC. PC folks are waiting for some of the titles I've already put hundreds of hours in on console, I'm not waiting for anything on PC to come to console, it no longer has that type of content as to why that S.T.A.L.K.E.R example was sorta funny. Great series btw I own all of them, but that was when such titles could only be found on PC, those days are long over and my PC is just a place for optional multiplats. I don't recall the last time I even bought a game that could only be found on PC and no where else that was a AAA title.

Console leads the industry in regards development and I don't see that changing any time soon.

EDMIX

My example of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. doesn't have anything to do with what PC gaming was "back in the day", the reason i mentioned that video game is because it's one of my favorite games ever made and has a huge modding community that has made content for it as recently as 2019. Although it's worth noting that "back in the day" wen S.T.A.L.K.E.R. released the PC gaming landscape was less inviting than it is today. No, that example was meant as a showcase from a bullet point of that list i've written to show the customizability potential of software on PC.

Saying that you "were" a PC gamer, or announcing your dismissal of my post is completely meaningless because i don't care about the preferences you had in the past, or about you as an individual. I like to chat with people about a shared hobby, for example, but if you've nothing of value to add, then .. ?

"of my favorite games ever made and has a huge modding community that has made content for it as recently as 2019" Ok...thats also pretty irrelevant to the point made. We know not of how long folks will keep making mods for Skyrim or Fallout 4 on PS4 or XONE..... " customizability potential of software on PC" ok....annnnd same can be stated about consoles today. Thus...basically moot and of little relevance. So the point about S.T.A.L.K.E.R isn't even exclusive to just PC or to just that game.

Example. "My example of Skyrim doesn't have anything to do with what CONSOLE gaming was "back in the day", the reason i mentioned that video game is because it's one of my favorite games ever made and has a huge modding community that has made content for it as recently as 2019"

So....yea, you are free to like S.T.A.L.K.E.R with mods (not really sure where you read I stated you couldn't but....ok)

"Saying that you "were" a PC gamer" ???? Ummm I own a gaming PC right now and a PS4. So....yea. I own both. Never stated that and relax on trying to make up quote to force a narrative to argue. So you might be mistaking me for another user, but please stop making stuff up to fabric something. I mean...you can look up what I said like I can look up your post, but I have respect enough to only quote from what I'm seeing you say, not just out right making stuff up to bicker smh

Last edited:

EDMIX

PC games are lacking but console games playable on PC are allot more common. What made PC great for me like 20 years ago was way more players in fps games like battlefield. MMO's, RTS, and ARPG games like Diablo.

I think all games are lacking but the gap from console to PC is closer then ever besides M&K. If a console aloud m&k in games or instead of stupid 4k only let you play at 120fps they would close the gap more. For me Xb1 x supporting freesync a year ago showed they want to be current with hardware and features.

I have little boys so couch coop trumps everything. I am not building 3 gaming PC's every 2 years so we can game when so few good games ever come out.

Also people forget when adults in thier mid 30s like me started gaming when the first Nintendo came out we were the first to start the gaming wave. Now we play games, have kids that play games, even some have kids who have kids playing games. Thats why gaming is more popular then ever. Not because these trash games and systems can even hold a candle to the greatness of the 90s and early 2000's. Sorry but games were once made because people loved games not loved scamming money.

"Also people forget when adults in thier mid 30s like me started gaming when the first Nintendo came out we were the first to start the gaming wave. Now we play games, have kids that play games, even some have kids who have kids playing games. Thats why gaming is more popular then ever" Very good point, many don't factor that. We are becoming that generation of gamer parents lol

" Not because these trash games and systems can even hold a candle to the greatness of the 90s and early 2000's. Sorry but games were once made because people loved games not loved scamming money." Well I don't know if I can say all that. Subjective, but gaming has always been a business and the industry will always have those that love to create because people love games, but they will always need funding to do that and a profit to keep doing that. If anything I'd say the industry right now has more ways to exploit for money then ever before, but Activisions of the world won't erase the Naughty Dogs.

Helios

Better? In what respect? PC is better like phones are better based on how many of them exist, but when was the list time a exclusive PC game got GOTY? Heck when was the last time a exclusive AAA PC even released?

So when was the last time a phone game got GOTY?

Consoles basically decide when a generation is starting, ending, push development in regards to actually hardware to make developers shift to and by default of how first parties work will always have a substantial amount of games not coming to PC. Because PC is open source, MOST making titles on it can't actually afford to JUST leave some AAA PC game ONLY on PC. So because no one really "owns" PC in terms of the platform, those developers have no ode to keep something on a system with such a shifty install base when the majority is playing stuff like PubG and Fortnite.

It would be like expecting lots of current gen releases to appear on PS3-360 despite the active install base shifting. Now.....could you imagine if the MAJORITY of the console market in terms of active users was just on PS3 and 360? You'd have so many games seeking the BARE minimum as they'd NEED to support PS3 and 360 to keep making expensive AAA games, but it also means not using all the hardware in PS4 and XONE.

That is what is happening to PC RIGHT NOW ,where the majority is casual, thus publishers seemly seek PC to port to, not to make AAA expensive exclusives for the handful that have the hardware to push it.

Know how many PS4's or XONEs run that base hardware? All.

There is no massive shift in those install bases in terms of power, everyone gets the same base power and Pro and X don't even have exclusives, this keeps it on a level playing field and allows developers to work on hardware not that they THINK someone will have, hardware they know 100% of those install bases actually have at the minimum. This can't be done on PC. It being modular also means that shift in install base and if the majority favor PubG, Fortnite etc and their PC's hardware reflects that......so will the lack of AAA PC exclusives.

So I don't think PC gaming will die out, but no longer seeing those massive AAA PC exclusives is very much a sign of the times as last gen we saw that happen and this gen is pretty much that nail in the coffin in regards to PC gaming ever being where it once was.

The console market leads the industry and PC must follow. It is unfortunate the price to pay for being modular when the majority favor casual.

So there you go. You might be able to build a extremely powerful PC, but what good does that do that install base when you are the only one that can afford it? So.....NASA also has a lot of super computers, when was the last time you say any massive expensive AAA titles release for that for the 126 people who could afford it? Consoles have just caught up to PC and Crysis last gen shows that gamers were not really that into some of those PC exclusives enough to have the majority build to support those type of games. So if PS5 or XBNEXT uses some 10 or 12TFLOP GPU, 100% of the games that release are able to use it as they know 100% of the install base HAS THAT HARDWARE FOR A FACT! PC has that power right now, where are those exclusives to max it out? Do you now see why PC gaming is here to stay, but will likely never match what is continuing with console gaming?
Your reasons for why you think PC Gaming is irrelevant are weird, my man. Is everything for you tied to exclusivity? Yes, W3 is not a PC exclusive. You have to idea how happy that makes me, the fact that no-matter what people fanboy over, they can enjoy a game like Witcher. I will never in my lifetime understand this mentality of showing off what your platform's library is and why YOUR CHOICE is the OBJECTIVELY superior one. It's buyer's remorse at it's finest.

Point is, PC offers benefits that consoles will never offer. The fact that it's an open platform and not everything has to go through Sony/Microsoft's eye is in itself a huge plus to some people.
Point is, Consoles are the ones that need exclusivity deals to stay relevant. If the platform itself was so good that everyone just can't get any more of, why do they need these to make these exclusivity deals? Why was PS4 "the bloodborne console" for 1/4th of it's lifespan? Was it because it was so superior to every other platform?

https://www.cinemablend.com/games/Witcher-3-Wouldn-t-Exist-Consoles-72064.html

"we can lay it out that simply. We just cannot afford it, because consoles allow us to go higher in terms of the possible or achievable sales"
"If we didn't port the game to consoles, we would've sold less copies and thus had to restrict our budget."
Yes?
Consoles basically decide when a generation is starting, ending,
And for all the people playing on PC? It was Wednesday.

Last edited:

Meccs

I don't see it. There are less and less pure exclusives for consoles (none for XBO anymore). More stuff comes to PC these days. At least it feels that way.

If they want to go down this retarded route, then I got some bad news for consoles too:

Global_Games_Market_2018.png

Facebook and Flash browser games are dying. Oh noes.

Last edited:
"of my favorite games ever made and has a huge modding community that has made content for it as recently as 2019" Ok...thats also pretty irrelevant to the point made. We know not of how long folks will keep making mods for Skyrim or Fallout 4 on PS4 or XONE..... " customizability potential of software on PC" ok....annnnd same can be stated about consoles today. Thus...basically moot and of little relevance. So the point about S.T.A.L.K.E.R isn't even exclusive to just PC or to just that game.

Example. "My example of Skyrim doesn't have anything to do with what CONSOLE gaming was "back in the day", the reason i mentioned that video game is because it's one of my favorite games ever made and has a huge modding community that has made content for it as recently as 2019"

So....yea, you are free to like S.T.A.L.K.E.R with mods (not really sure where you read I stated you couldn't but....ok)

Its relevant to my point, which you have taken out of context completely and misinterpreted it for reasons of your own. Though i suspect one of the reasons is because you haven't read a single thing of the post in which i gave the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. example. I suggest reading that post carefully and you may notice that i also asked you a question in that particular post.

"Saying that you "were" a PC gamer" ???? Ummm I own a gaming PC right now and a PS4. So....yea. I own both. Never stated that and relax on trying to make up quote to force a narrative to argue. So you might be mistaking me for another user, but please stop making stuff up to fabric something. I mean...you can look up what I said like I can look up your post, but I have respect enough to only quote from what I'm seeing you say, not just out right making stuff up to bicker smh

"Saying that you "were" a PC gamer" was addressed to the other person i quoted, although it's interesting to see how relatively outraged you seem. Maybe you haven't realized it yet (i couldn't possibly know just from these couple of comments) but you're doing the exact same thing you thought i was doing wen you're responding to me, more or less - Your willingly narrowing your point of view to only notice what fits your own narrative.

I quoted the both of you and responded accordingly because i've noticed that you're both parroting the same thing.

Darius87

being dead is wrong statementon, more like being irrevelant, pc as gaming platform is only for enthusiast players and for some genres that's best played with kb/mouse,.
Consoles gamers are exited for what's coming to the future, year from year, there's no that feeling with pc,
for major dev/publisher revenue from consoles is much bigger then pc, there's no denying that,, that's main reason why pc is irrevelant.
i know lot of you will disagree, and will find more insignificant reasons like mods, fps, res, more powerfull then consoles(also more expensive) etc. that's fine because as i said these things for enthusiasts.
power advantage doesn't matter in this time where diminishing returns doesn't make a difference what's more powerfull what's not, and it will be even more so in future.
What's actually matters more then anything is how many devs/publishers supports your platform of choice.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Every generation, people switch to a new platform. Wouldn't surprise me in the least if 20m PC gamers got fed up with PC gaming (gasp! Yes, it happens all the time) and switched to consoles for the convenience or novelty of it.

What's fed up by using a pc? What can the console do that a pc can't?

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
What's fed up by using a pc? What can the console do that a pc can't?
Plug in, power button, play game.

You're confusing the superior graphics and flexibility of PC as an innate "good", whereas a lot of consumers aren't interested in dealing with the hassle to get there. It's not really for me to answer, though. There's nothing unusual about people moving back and forth between products in an entertainment industry, but for some reason PC gamers hold the belief that "once you go PC, you don't go back", which is obviously untrue. Consider the flight of The Sims / RCT / Farmville / and casual MMO customers over to the Wii, the DS, and mobile (for example).

Plug in, power button, play game.

You're confusing the superior graphics and flexibility of PC as an innate "good", whereas a lot of consumers aren't interested in dealing with the hassle to get there. It's not really for me to answer, though. There's nothing unusual about people moving back and forth between products in an entertainment industry, but for some reason PC gamers hold the belief that "once you go PC, you don't go back", which is obviously untrue. Consider the flight of The Sims / RCT / Farmville / and casual MMO customers over to the Wii, the DS, and mobile (for example).

It's 2019, technology has moved on. My PC actually starts up quicker than my xbox one. To access a game on steam IS Faster than accessing the same game on xbox game pass or on an xbox disc. Shit's crazy. You behind the times dood. SSD's are proliferating like flies on shit homie.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
It's 2019, technology has moved on. My PC actually starts up quicker than my xbox one. To access a game on steam IS Faster than accessing the same game on xbox game pass or on an xbox disc. Shit's crazy. You behind the times dood. SSD's are proliferating like flies on shit homie.
That does not describe the process of bringing home a PC and playing a game.

I'm aware that SSDs speed up games, though. Back in ~2013-2014 I used to install all my "active" games on a pair of SSDs and archive the rest on a 1TB drive. It was nice, but it requires a bit of setup to say in the least.

You can also use an SSD in consoles, but that's besides your point. PC gaming can indeed boot up and load quickly, but usually not without a bit of setup and tweaking.

Irrelevant because that process of bringing home a computer and donwloading steam and creating an account happens once an entire console generation. Frankly it's more complicated creating an xbox live account and signing up to xbox gold and game pass. If you can handle inputing your credit card details, you can download steam and click on games to buy and download.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Irrelevant because that process of bringing home a computer and donwloading steam and creating an account happens once an entire console generation.
Not if your choice of games are headed off to Windows Store, Epic Game Store, etc...

Frankly it's more complicated creating an xbox live account and signing up to xbox gold and game pass. If you can handle inputing your credit card details, you can download steam and click on games to buy and download.
This doesn't change the setup of a new gaming PC, nor the cost. Steam is only one facet of the PC gaming setup process.

I don't know why this is too complicated for PC gamers to comprehend. People sacrifice power for convenience all the time in literally every consumer-good market. Why is it so strange that it happens in gaming?

When i got my ps2 in 2000 (still working), it was just plug in and play. With ps4 i created a psn acc, download and upgrade the FW, and adjust settings to my likings, when i inserted GT sport the game needed an update. Sure things have changed. My PS2 also boots faster.ps4 boots about as fast as my gtx670 pc, but starting games from steam etc is faster (normal hdd in both).

Also installing is a thing of the past, just click install on steam etc and it downloads and installs everything for you. W10 does the same for drivers etc. That sure is a change from the early 2000's or before that.

Last edited:
Because the sacrifice is now largely redundant. To anybody semi-technology literate, setting up a new pc is peanuts. The operating systems, the services, internet connectivity, it has all become so automated that the consoles themselves are using the same code. The xbox is using windows 10 for example.

You're right that most people prefer the simplest, most simple A-B user experience, which is hwy Mobile gaming comprises 60% of global market-and growing rapidly relative to the rest.

But consoles and pc...not much difference at all anymore. Even my xbox controller works natively with my pc.

Doom, quake, duke nukem 3d, half life, battlefield, civilization, starcraft, diablo, medal of honor allied assault, rainbow six, ... These games were pc only back in the day. All those games pushed what the pc could do and just couldn't be done on console. Yes some eventually got ported in some watered down form to console but at best they

Almost all of those came to consoles too. Not that much of a downgrade either, abit like today actually. Higher settings, fps, resolution, discounting mods then. HL1 ps2 is actually upgraded gfx, even above blue shift. Doom 3 xbox is a very impressive port. HL2 does fine there too.
Quake 3 on DC/ps2 was equally impressive. Unreal saw console, sl did dues ex, improved gfx again. D3D was on PSX so was doom 1. Again not that much inferior, like today higher fps, settings and resolutions.

Consoles always have gotten pc games ports. Difference now is that more and more console games appear on pc, with x86 mid range specs for ps5xbox this trend wont slow down. In special with Xbox being uniform with PC now.

The only thing you miss are some PS exclusives, that IMO can be lived without. Those are one time rollercoaster experiences anyway. This whole 3rd person cinematic movie gaming, hald time watch half time play, at a mere 30fps with no or meh MP doesnt really belong on the pc platform. Probably wouldnt even sell anything impressive there. Will see how Detroit pans out though, and heavy rain, quantum etc.

johntown

Banned
I’m a PC gamer and sure I have and play on consoles but my main gaming is PC. Unless my PC dies and I am unemployed I will continue being a PC gamer for the foreseeable future.

Where do they come up with such ridiculous information?

tr1p1ex

Almost all of those came to consoles too. Not that much of a downgrade either, abit like today actually. Higher settings, fps, resolution, discounting mods then. HL1 ps2 is actually upgraded gfx, even above blue shift. Doom 3 xbox is a very impressive port. HL2 does fine there too.
Quake 3 on DC/ps2 was equally impressive. Unreal saw console, sl did dues ex, improved gfx again. D3D was on PSX so was doom 1. Again not that much inferior, like today higher fps, settings and resolutions.

Consoles always have gotten pc games ports. Difference now is that more and more console games appear on pc, with x86 mid range specs for ps5xbox this trend wont slow down. In special with Xbox being uniform with PC now.

The only thing you miss are some PS exclusives, that IMO can be lived without. Those are one time rollercoaster experiences anyway. This whole 3rd person cinematic movie gaming, hald time watch half time play, at a mere 30fps with no or meh MP doesnt really belong on the pc platform. Probably wouldnt even sell anything impressive there. Will see how Detroit pans out though, and heavy rain, quantum etc.

You quoted me saying some of these games came to console eventually and then you reply to tell me they came to console? :) These games were all made for pc. And were pc only releases. Then some eventually made their way to console in some form.

HL PS2 came 3 years later. Nowhere near as good either. I didn't mention Doom 3. I mentioned Doom. Doom 3 was at the end of the golden age of pc games. It still took 9 months to come to console. Ported by a 3rd party. It still was a pc only release and made for pc. Quake 3 came to consoles 2 years later. A lot of these ports had to water down the design to fit on console.

IN the case of HL and Quake 3, it took a new console gen for those games to come to console. That was pc gaming back in the day. GAmes made for pc that you could only find on pc and sure years later some came to console at least in name. The console versions almost always had compromises.

Now games are made for console and ported to pc. And the role of pc is merely to dress up those games in prettier clothes. Pcgaming used to be the cutting edge of gaming.. Now it's not. It's just the cutting edge of graphics. IT used to be the cutting edge of game design too and games you couldn't play elsewhere until consoles caught up. That's just not the case any more.

ON top of it the cuttinge edge of graphics isn't the leap it was back in the day. You have to get out the magnifying glass nowadays to see the improvement in graphics. Also the average tv now looks better than the average monitor - better color and better resolution. That wasn't the case back in the day either I don't think. So the overall benefit to cutting edge graphics on pc isn't what it was.

Last edited:

tr1p1ex

STalker is one of the last great examples of what pcgaming was back in the day.

I didn't say that is why you mentioned it. I said it's" ironic" that you mentioned it. Pc only releases like Stalker do not really exist today in pcgaming.

I guess everyone appears that they have nothing to add if you don't read their post.

Last edited:
STalker is one of the last great examples of what pcgaming was back in the day.

I didn't say that is why you mentioned it. I said it's" ironic" that you mentioned it. Pc only releases like Stalker do not really exist today in pcgaming.

I guess everyone appears that they have nothing to add if you don't read their post.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl was an extremely buggy video game wen it released .. back in the day, it's not a great example to use in your context by any stretch of the imagination. Eventually the majority who tried the game out back then caught on its brilliance marred by wildly inconsistent rough edges and through the culminating effort of dedicated individuals, they managed to not only polish the game up tremendously over time, gaining a cult following in the process, but also ease in new players who also continue to create new, really well done content for the game to this day.

That is the example i gave. An example of modding, of the massive potential of customizability, and why it may be a significant advantage for PC Gaming. It doesn't matter whether the game is exclusive or not; many, many good games follow S.T.A.L.K.E.R.'s example and gather communities who make content for the games. "Console ports" can be significantly different on PC because of what i believe is an extraordinarily underappreciated element attributed to PC Gaming.

As for exclusivity in general, genres that work well should be as widely accessible as possible. Personally speaking here, i don't care about exclusivity, unless i'm buying a console. And i never buy a console Day 1, i wait until it actually is worth something of value to me through its number of actual quality exclusives that i cannot play on PC.

I find the idea of pc gaming losing a huge player base doubtful. I think console gaming will growing much faster than pc gaming though. One reason for this is the TVs are great for large sizes, HDR and 4K. Try to find a 4K HDR monitor in 27-32”. You’re talking an additional 600-$1000. At that point many will choose jus to get a console and games and use the 4K tv they already have.

You quoted me saying some of these games came to console eventually and then you reply to tell me they came to console? :) These games were all made for pc. And were pc only releases. Then some eventually made their way to console in some form.

HL PS2 came 3 years later. Nowhere near as good either. I didn't mention Doom 3. I mentioned Doom. Doom 3 was at the end of the golden age of pc games. It still took 9 months to come to console. Ported by a 3rd party. It still was a pc only release and made for pc. Quake 3 came to consoles 2 years later. A lot of these ports had to water down the design to fit on console.

IN the case of HL and Quake 3, it took a new console gen for those games to come to console. That was pc gaming back in the day. GAmes made for pc that you could only find on pc and sure years later some came to console at least in name. The console versions almost always had compromises.

Now games are made for console and ported to pc. And the role of pc is merely to dress up those games in prettier clothes. Pcgaming used to be the cutting edge of gaming.. Now it's not. It's just the cutting edge of graphics. IT used to be the cutting edge of game design too and games you couldn't play elsewhere until consoles caught up. That's just not the case any more.

ON top of it the cuttinge edge of graphics isn't the leap it was back in the day. You have to get out the magnifying glass nowadays to see the improvement in graphics. Also the average tv now looks better than the average monitor - better color and better resolution. That wasn't the case back in the day either I don't think. So the overall benefit to cutting edge graphics on pc isn't what it was.

Exclusivity has never been really a thing for PC, maybe timed exclusives, but they made it to consoles, sometimes even with improvements. Half Life had improved graphics and Decay CO-OP (i recommend it, its modded to pc too with online play).
Doom 3 was within one year, HL2 too, and they are quite great for being what it is, hardware was moving MUCH faster back then, yet the OG Xbox with its P3 733 and GF3/4 could play all this very nicely due to console optimizations.

Yes took longer for Q3, but HW was moving much faster then now.

Made för console, that is actually a mid range PC nowadays, those games should be made with mid range in design anyways, so everyone can enjoy them.
PC is still cutting edge though, it offers Ray Tracing way before the consoles do. MC RT is another level really. A recent star citizen video from levelcap blew me away. I assume next gen will come close to that with AAA's, but were allready having it now on PC.
Cutting edge could also be higher settings, further draw distances, higher res textures, native 4k or higher, 60PFS or more, in a way PC offers the cutting edge still.

I dont need a magnifying glass to see the difference between PS4 to PS4 Pro, same from Pro to high end PC. Watch some DF comparison videos.

I find the idea of pc gaming losing a huge player base doubtful. I think console gaming will growing much faster than pc gaming though. One reason for this is the TVs are great for large sizes, HDR and 4K. Try to find a 4K HDR monitor in 27-32”. You’re talking an additional 600-$1000. At that point many will choose jus to get a console and games and use the 4K tv they already have.

Well, from 7th gen to 8th saw a decrease so far, 360 had close to 90 million, along Wii over that and PS3 close to 90 too. Theres actually a decline there for console. Nowadays, a PC is as easy to use with a TV as anything else. Im using a TV as my monitor as im getting much more for the same price when compared to a monitor. No input lag problems as i can notice (LG 4k Oled).

EDMIX

Its relevant to my point, which you have taken out of context completely and misinterpreted it for reasons of your own. Though i suspect one of the reasons is because you haven't read a single thing of the post in which i gave the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. example. I suggest reading that post carefully and you may notice that i also asked you a question in that particular post.

"Saying that you "were" a PC gamer" was addressed to the other person i quoted, although it's interesting to see how relatively outraged you seem. Maybe you haven't realized it yet (i couldn't possibly know just from these couple of comments) but you're doing the exact same thing you thought i was doing wen you're responding to me, more or less - Your willingly narrowing your point of view to only notice what fits your own narrative.

I quoted the both of you and responded accordingly because i've noticed that you're both parroting the same thing.

""Saying that you "were" a PC gamer" was addressed to the other person i quoted" Yea you'd need to actually properly quote that then bud. Not that hard. I'd suggest you actually copy and paste their full quote so its understood who you are directing the comment to in the first place. "because you haven't read a single thing" I read your whole post bud, as to why I was able to reply regarding mods, the S.T.A.L.K.E.R IP etc. vs misquoting the wrong person.....

So no matter how much you like that series or mods, doesn't really change the fact that PC gaming is likely never going to be were it was at several generations ago. No one is arguing if you like mods or that series....

EDMIX

Your reasons for why you think PC Gaming is irrelevant are weird, my man. Is everything for you tied to exclusivity? Yes, W3 is not a PC exclusive. You have to idea how happy that makes me, the fact that no-matter what people fanboy over, they can enjoy a game like Witcher. I will never in my lifetime understand this mentality of showing off what your platform's library is and why YOUR CHOICE is the OBJECTIVELY superior one. It's buyer's remorse at it's finest.

Point is, PC offers benefits that consoles will never offer. The fact that it's an open platform and not everything has to go through Sony/Microsoft's eye is in itself a huge plus to some people.
Point is, Consoles are the ones that need exclusivity deals to stay relevant. If the platform itself was so good that everyone just can't get any more of, why do they need these to make these exclusivity deals? Why was PS4 "the bloodborne console" for 1/4th of it's lifespan? Was it because it was so superior to every other platform?

"If we didn't port the game to consoles, we would've sold less copies and thus had to restrict our budget."
Yes?

And for all the people playing on PC? It was Wednesday.

"Your reasons for why you think PC Gaming is irrelevant are weird, my man" Thats nice.
" Is everything for you tied to exclusivity?" Never said that, it is clearly a sign that the platform is no longer where it used to be. Many casuals on PC have now dictated where the market goes because of the modularity of PC. Which means we no longer see those PC focused AAA titles let alone exclusives, you start to see the raise of stuff like this

https://kotaku.com/sources-warner-bros-knew-that-arkham-knight-pc-was-a-1714915219

or stuff like this

https://gearnuke.com/red-dead-redemption-2-not-coming-to-pc/

So even with Red Dead 2 coming to PC likely later...the fact that is is LATER goes to show that those days or sorta over with that platform leading development. Which means missing games, later ports, bugs and other issues etc.

Doesn't sound like a great thing to me bud. As to why PC is always going to be a second for me as it makes no sense to ever own a platform not only missing so many titles, but getting many of them late and then with a bunch of issues. We need to look up what developer or publisher makes the "good PC games"

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/quantum-break-dev-apologizes-for-bugs-details-all-/1100-6438789/

So when the majority are not buying that beefy hardware, publishers tend to treat the platform like second class citizens.

Stop worrying about personally how I feel about PC, more so focus on the fact that it no longer gets many AAA exclusives if at all, has a ton of missing AAA content that can be found else where and gets titles late on top of just horrid ports. THAT is why folks are buying consoles bud, they are getting the majority of the AAA content. The platform offers little reason to actually buy it over the other platforms when its missing MASSIVE titles and a matter of question of how the performance of the port will be "IF" it even comes to the platform.

How many AAA games on PC are console owners really waiting for? So this isn't about me and PC bud, its about the community clearly shifting away from that platform and more casuals taking over.

"Point is, PC offers benefits that consoles will never offer" No one is arguing that, do you care to even quote where I've EVER disputed that? That "benefit" is also a double edge sword my friend. Its modularity is also why this anyone can have any type of hardware attitude has caused the market to be over run by casuals causing the development of AAA titles to focus its lead on consoles ie the devices that actually always all have the same base power. THUS they are able to get MORE SUPPORT on AAA titles. That doesn't JUST mean exclusives bud, that means even 3rd party games skipping PC, that means even the biggest games of the generation not only just coming late on PC, skipping it or having bugs all over because of how small that install base is of those high up specs.

It would be like expecting XONE X or PS4 Pro to get an exclusive ignoring the majority is not that install base, well...the majority on PC are not folks playing those high end AAA titles, thus the support you see on PC reflects that install base of casuals. Its why I don't ONLY own PC. So I could wait years for Red Dead 2? Or worse never get it? Or get it and its filled with bugs? Does that sound fun to you? So...not debating PC vs Console, not debating open source vs closed source, simply factually laying out that modularity is why you see PC the way it is today with little exclusive AAA content, titles skipping it and titles loaded with bugs. btw I own a gaming PC and consoles...

Last edited:

EDMIX

"IN the case of HL and Quake 3, it took a new console gen for those games to come to console. That was pc gaming back in the day. GAmes made for pc that you could only find on pc and sure years later some came to console at least in name. The console versions almost always had compromises.

Now games are made for console and ported to pc"

THANK YOU! THIS 1000%

Back in the day the roles reversed. PC lead the industry in those massive AAA titles, Doom 3, Half Life 2, Far Cry, Crysis etc. MS with XBOX changed that greatly along with Halo 1 and especially Halo 2. It showed that not only could the hardware very much match PC, but a install base exist for those titles and the XB could do FPS titles, online gaming etc. When consoles got ports, they were done by 3rd party port teams, had bugs, issues and clearly was not made with those platforms in mind.

By the next gen with PS3 and 360....that greatly changed.

The install base on those platforms showed that they were 100% open to those genres and those concepts, that generation is where that shift really happened and console went from being the place to port to months later, as the LEAD on where to develop on. By the end of the generation we started to see titles made from the ground up with PS3 and 360 in mind first and PC second. Companies like iD that use to make stuff like Doom and Quake come later to console, now released stuff like Quake 4 and Rage day and date. Same with Far Cry 2 and onward and many more. We basically stopped seeing those mega AAA PC exclusives and started to see the publisher seek development on all 3 platforms or worse, just 2 and PC later on if at all.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/red-dead-redemption-pc-edition-never-seriously-con/1100-6430945/

and

https://www.cinemablend.com/games/Witcher-3-Wouldn-t-Exist-Consoles-72064.html

So its clear at some point, PC simply became an "option" to many publishers and no longer a requirement to do well, many that did focus on PC, didn't even care enough to optimize their ports properly, MS for example. I mean....they own the OS and even they released so many bad ports like Quantum Break with tons of bugs and issues. So when I hear anyone stated that we are "starting to see" stuff from Capcom, Sega or we "might get" etc. That ALONE tells me those days are over. Starting to see? Why are those not default on PC? Might get? So.....its questionable if a release like let say Red Dead Redemption 2 will find its way to PC? Does that sound like a install base that is leading the market in terms of development or?

Your in the minority thinking pc does bad. Its never been better. If pc is dead then xbox is. Clearly a salty console warrior.

Only thing pc is missing are those sony excl movies, which are meh anyways for the most. Opting for a subpar experience in a paid closed box ecosystem isnt for everyone i guess. Could explain why theres more pc gamers then PS gamers. The decline from 7th isnt great either.

Also, why ur spamming 3 posts in a row? Theres an edit button. Makes less of a clutter that your posts already are.

Last edited:

EDMIX

being dead is wrong statementon, more like being irrevelant, pc as gaming platform is only for enthusiast players and for some genres that's best played with kb/mouse,.
Consoles gamers are exited for what's coming to the future, year from year, there's no that feeling with pc,
for major dev/publisher revenue from consoles is much bigger then pc, there's no denying that,, that's main reason why pc is irrevelant.
i know lot of you will disagree, and will find more insignificant reasons like mods, fps, res, more powerfull then consoles(also more expensive) etc. that's fine because as i said these things for enthusiasts.
power advantage doesn't matter in this time where diminishing returns doesn't make a difference what's more powerfull what's not, and it will be even more so in future.
What's actually matters more then anything is how many devs/publishers supports your platform of choice.

Agreed.

"What's actually matters more then anything is how many devs/publishers supports your platform of choice"

Pretty much. This isn't about if someone likes PC or console as much as it has to do with console market having a more active install base for those AAA titles. Someone can have a powerful gaming PC, but that matters not when very little of the install base also owns it. It simply means not enough own those specs to support a PC version of many titles and when they do, the platform seems to now be the version with so many bugs and issues. PS4 Pro or XBONE X are not getting exclusives for the exact reason you don't see some PC exclusive that requires some 2x RTX 2080s or something just to run. To most....its just irrelevant. Nothing wrong with building such a PC rig too, this is simply us talking about the market currently folks as many seem to be using this thread to debate PC vs console or closed source vs open source etc. Personal preference aside......the fact remains, we no longer see those PC AAA exclusives like in the past, we are not seeing it lead development as often as before, we are now seeing many titles skip PC not even owned by Sony or MS and we are seeing many bad PC ports likely based on less install base who owns that hardware and buys that content.

That 4 way RTX 2080 build also comes at a price of being one of very few that own it, thus very little if anyone exclusively supports, thus questionable PC ports and missing titles. I don't know if those features are enough to not have Red Dead or Persona 5 or have em release like Batman Arkham Knights riddled with bugs.

JUST to show this isn't some "PC VS CONSOLE" thing, consider MAC gets late support, titles skipped and when they do come to mac, many times with missing features https://www.macrumors.com/2012/02/02/id-softwares-rage-arrives-on-mac-app-store/

That isn't saying I hate Apple, that is simply factually laying out currently how things are folks.

Orenji Neko

Yeah, nope. I could never, ever, ever, give up the vast benefits of PC gaming in favor of....(shiver)..consoles. God, just the thought of it. Single display? Max of 60hz if, and only IF the game can hit even that? Limited control options? Paid online? 16x9 aspect ratio only? No GSYNC? Limited backwards compatibility (when available), to like, what, a gen or two? Have to buy a completely different cheap box to sit next to another cheap box because of exclusives? Those awful, limited operating systems?

What about games needing to be patched by the developer or platform holder to take advantage of those mid gen upgrades? Nah, I’d rather drop new hardware in and, boom, upgrade in play. I can burn physical, fully patched discs of my digital library. Game de-listed? No prob; there’s a solution for that too. Dev can’t or won’t fix a game (Skyrim PS3)? That’s cool, the community gets it done. Remasters of recent games that you have to buy again? No way. Turn those settings up or install a graphics improvement mod.

I can play, create, work, learn, experiment, and more. There are no limits and no way I would willingly accept any limitations.

“But the player base for latest AAA pew pew game is lower on PC!”

That’s because we have more games than console players do, more choices, and the library isn’t limited by “flavor of the week” affairs. The PC game market is too big for a single (or two, or three, or hell even four or five) release(s) to take all the attention as is the case normally seen on consoles.

“Constant upgrades!”

Nope. One of my machines has a CPU from 2011. It runs circles around all available consoles. If you want only console level performance on a PC, then congrats, your PC isn’t gonna cost much. Also the varied hardware spectrum isn’t a disadvantage to the static console. We have APIs like DirectX and Vulcan. A game doesn’t have to be specifically made to take advantage of powerful hardware: it just does. As a result, the high end doesn’t have to be targeted, a baseline minimum (requirements) is set.

“Bugs!”

It’s always like the same couple of games mentioned when it comes to this. This is not the norm. At all. The reality is that console ports release on the PC as the superior way to play the game. Looks better, runs better, free to play online if multiplayer is a feature. Arkham Knight (one of those often cited examples) was almost 5 years and God knows how many better games ago. It was an anomaly and shoddy product, especially since the first two games are -still- superior to both the original and remastered console releases. That’s the norm, not the exception.

Red Dead 2 not on PC? Well we have so much to play that I’m not gonna lose sleep over it. If it does show up, great. I mean, the PC version of GTAV is still superior to, again, the original and remastered console releases.

For more information on why the analyst is a moron, and why the PC status as the superior platform will never be lost, here is a helpful and educational guide:

Last edited:
Top Bottom