• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Analogue NT ($578 HDMI NES) |OT| Better than anything, and ready to ship years ago

Grief.exe

If they do an SNES version of this.

I-am-rich-floyd-mayweather-throwing-money.gif

TSM

Update: FIXED??

I was playing around with my setup again today, and I changed the "Despeckle" setting from Phase 0 to Phase 1, and that seemed to fix all of the graphical errors I was having! I haven't had a chance to test long-term yet, but I was able to run a number of games that were showing corrupt graphics fine.

Lagrange Point also booted as well, instead of crashing on the title screen!

TSM: I'd try this out if you're having issues.

You are a genius. I'm not sure how the hell you figured this out, but you solved the problem. I was already on Phase 1, but selecting Phase 2 took care of all my problems. I made it through 1-1 in Ninja Gaiden and SMB3 is working like a champ. I hope it's not an option that will be necessary to change depending on the game I'm trying to play, but even if that's the case I can live with it.

I tried out Phase 0 with Ninja Gaiden with hilarious results. The 1-1 intro broke and the ninja graphic kept scrolling to the left repeatedly until I hit start. Then the 1-1 graphics were completely broken and I somehow entered the boss fight after running like 3 screens.

Anyone with a spare $5k look no further than this

http://www.analogue.co/pages/24k-gold-nes

big_image_pg2.jpg

So you are saying they aren't sold out anymore?

Frostburn

Frostburn, is your Analogue NT an HDMI model? If so, it'd be really interesting to see if there's an issue with the Famicom shell vs the NES shell.

Yes it is, 2nd wave HDMI model with analogue out. I can test specific games if you want (I have about 70 games plus the Everdrive N8 running v13 firmware.)

Vulkar59

I've been anxiously waiting on my Analogue Nt and unfortunately received this email a few hours ago.

"If you are receiving this email it is because your Analogue Nt order has not yet shipped.

We've shipped out 95% of all orders in March, but we’ve unfortunately run into a small issue that effects the last 25-30 open pre-orders. We discovered an issue with the controller ports on a lot of assembled units at the last minute in final testing before shipping. We thought we could fix the issue without a delay -- but we've been forced to order new components.

These last 25-30 orders will be delayed until early May — it is looking like we’ll be able to have these last orders shipping in the first week of May.

Your Nt’s are assembled and simply waiting for new controller ports. We apologize for this inconvenience.

We appreciate your patience and look forward to getting your Nt into your hands. If for whatever reason the delay is too long -- always remember that we accept cancellations with a full refund at any time.

Don’t hesitate to let us know if you have any questions or concerns.

- Analogue Team"

Frostburn

Just a heads up for everyone with an HDMI Analogue NT, Kevtris (Creator of the HDMI kit) released a firmware update that fixes issues with certain games such as Blaster Master's Intro screen. You can find the video and a link to the .NES file to update the system here. If you have an Everdrive or PowerPak you can just copy the file to your normal ROM folder, launch it then go into the HDMI Menu Settings and Select Update Firmware. Takes about 2 minutes total and now the Analogue HDMI is pretty much perfect.

Frostburn

I think they mention sending a few around but I'm not sure if Kevtris is going to do this for the Analogue NT or just the modded NES systems they sold on eBay. You'd probably have to get in touch with Analogue for an update flashcart.

I think they mention sending a few around but I'm not sure if Kevtris is going to do this for the Analogue NT or just the modded NES systems they sold on eBay. You'd probably have to get in touch with Analogue for an update flashcart.

Wait, so this won't work on an NT? Aren't they pretty much the same thing?

Frostburn

Wait, so this won't work on an NT? Aren't they pretty much the same thing?

It will work on an NT, that is what I have. I'm just saying Kevtris doesn't support the NTs directly, the company that produced them does (Analogue). So if you need a flashcart to update your system you'd have to reach out to them. If you own a flashcart you can download the file from the link in the Youtube video and flash it yourself in a few minutes.

TSM

So an update to the ongoing issues with the Famicom Everdrive N8; It turns out the NES N8 also has issues with at least the second batch of the Analogue NT. Testing some people have done shows the NES version is much more stable, but that at some point it will still randomly crash on you. The Famicom version will reliably crash on certain games like Super Mario 2 USA, and this has been verified by at least 4 people on the krikzz support forum. Adjusting the despeckle option in the hi-def nes menu to phase 3 or phase 4 makes it more reliable, but does not solve it's problems.

Analogue has washed their hands of it saying they aren't responsible for krikzz's carts. Krikzz and kevtris haven't responded to inquiries about this yet as far as i know.

I did upgrade hi-def nes to 2.25, but unfortunately it did not improve the situation.

BTails

Yup, I can verify that Super Mario USA crashes on my Everdrive N8 (Famicom) and Analogue NT.

Krikzz has responded, letting me know that due to the timing changes of the HDMI mod, it's not officially supporter.

Analogue has said that there's no known issues with Everdrives, and that any issues should be directed to Krikzz.

Kevtris has suggested playing with the Despeckle option to fix any issues.

Yup, I can verify that Super Mario USA crashes on my Everdrive N8 (Famicom) and Analogue NT.

Krikzz has responded, letting me know that due to the timing changes of the HDMI mod, it's not officially supporter.

Analogue has said that there's no known issues with Everdrives, and that any issues should be directed to Krikzz.

Kevtris has suggested playing with the Despeckle option to fix any issues.

Yep. Second release Analogue NT here, and I'm having the same issues with my newly arrived Famicom Everdrive N8. Just got it yesterday, wasn't aware of all these issues with it, otherwise I wouldn't have ordered it. Sucks. :/

TSM

Analogue support is finally posting on the krikzz forum to address the issues with the N8. They say they are working with krikzz to get the situation resolved. Unfortunately they also claim they are unable to replicate the issue in house.

BTails

Yeah, pretty neat. Though to be honest, I'm kinda salty on new Analogue products (Even though this one is a collab with 8bitdo) until this whole Everdrive compatability issue is sorted. I had been told *BY ANALOGUE SUPPORT* that Everdrive was 100% compatable before placing my order.

I'm glad that it seems like they're working with Krikzz now, but at the moment it feels like I was swindled out of over $900 CAD (exchange rate, shipping and duties really jacked up the price).

There was a variety of wireless NES pads back in the day; they weren't that great but they did exist.

My brain hurts when I see repro controllers with the inferior square form factor and its shitty ergonomics. Dog bone or bust, hipsters.

TSM

The product page is http://www.analogue.co/pages/8bitdo-x-analogue

The dongle apparently works with a wide range of bluetooth controllers including the Dualshock 3/4, Wiimote/Wii U Pro controller and 8bitdo's line of controllers.

There was a variety of wireless NES pads back in the day; they weren't that great but they did exist.

My brain hurts when I see repro controllers with the inferior square form factor and its shitty ergonomics. Dog bone or bust, hipsters.

Not great is an understatement. There were all based on infrared like TV remotes.

TheWraith

Been loving my Analogue but stumbled on a weird compatibility issue with Holy Diver (FC), near the end of the level the game always freezes to a jumbled pixelated mess. If I set "Despeckle" to phase 2, it allows me to reach the boss, but when I die the game either crashes, or doesn't display any character sprites! Cartridge plays fine in regular famicom console. Will contact analogue for this.

Anyone have this game and an NT to duplicate this by any chance?

TSM

Been loving my Analogue but stumbled on a weird compatibility issue with Holy Diver (FC), near the end of the level the game always freezes to a jumbled pixelated mess. If I set "Despeckle" to phase 2, it allows me to reach the boss, but when I die the game either crashes, or doesn't display any character sprites! Cartridge plays fine in regular famicom console. Will contact analogue for this.

Anyone have this game and an NT to duplicate this by any chance?

I have the Famicom cart and could test it. I'll test it later this week. It'd be good to find any bugs like this while Analogue and Kevtris are still engaged.

Also in testing the issues with the Famicom Everdrive N8 despeckle phase 3 seems to be the sweet spot for compatibility with the device. 1 was terribly broken and 2 was significantly better, but still broken with the device. 3 still has issues with many games, but it's a far cry from 1 or 2.

TheWraith

I have the Famicom cart and could test it. I'll test it later this week. It'd be good to find any bugs like this while Analogue and Kevtris are still engaged.

Also in testing the issues with the Famicom Everdrive N8 despeckle phase 3 seems to be the sweet spot for compatibility with the device. 1 was terribly broken and 2 was significantly better, but still broken with the device. 3 still has issues with many games, but it's a far cry from 1 or 2.

Sweet, thanks! BTW: If it wasn't clear I meant end of level 1. I've actually tested further and the issue is already there whenever you die, no character sprites after that.

TheWraith

What kinds of settings are you guys running? Stretching/scanlines/resolution/despeckle/etc?

My settings are 720p, scanlines at 83. No stretching, despeckle at default. I find this works best, 1080p just looks "too good", and looses a bit of the NES-look and feel for lack of a better word.

Kawika

Feel free to post in this thread: http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=5091.0

Analogue are investigating problems and this might be useful info. This is the first report of issues with a real cart as opposed to just the everdrive.

Reading that 1st page. I did notice something that is inaccurate. The HDMI version will access the Different sound channels regardless of which slot. My copy of Castlevania 3 on Famicom works the same as it does in my NES Everdrive N8. I wonder if this is an issue with the Famicom N8.

Kevtris has newer firmware for the Hi-Def nes that isn't in the 2nd run of the NT. Might want to update that before blaming the ED.

Gyrian

Have any of you sent in your 1st run NTs back to Analogue to get the composite video upgrade?
I'm curious as to how this makes the system behave. If it would allow an HDMI Analogue to behave as if it didn't have HiDefNES installed, now that'd be interesting... How about those of you with the second run? Helpful to have composite too?

Have any of you sent in your 1st run NTs back to Analogue to get the composite video upgrade?
I'm curious as to how this makes the system behave. If it would allow an HDMI Analogue to behave as if it didn't have HiDefNES installed, now that'd be interesting... How about those of you with the second run? Helpful to have composite too?

edit- answered my own question. I'd say that perhaps if you'll be traveling with it or ever plan on switching monitors it'd be helpful. I know that if I had the room for a CRT it'd be an easier choice to make. Can't see any differences on video output with 2nd models on HDMI vs the 1st gen composite.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Can somebody explain any Analogue has decided to not produce any more NTs? They're currently selling used on eBay for 2x what Analogue charged, which shows a clear demand:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/Video-Game-...=R40&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&_nkw=analogue+nt

Given that they've already done all the heavy lifting (design, molds, production lines, etc), it seems bizarre to not continue production. Or am I missing something?

Chips, I believe. The story goes that tyey found a cheap lot of damaged Famicoms and harvested their chips. Now with the easy chips finished they would need to hunt units and face the anger for harvesting functional Famicoms. I kind of expect them to launch a $999 Analogue NT with individually hunted chips, otherwise it wouldn't make sense how much they've improved their customer service. Unless they are planning to do an Analogue SN. A man can dream.

Chips, I believe. The story goes that tyey found a cheap lot of damaged Famicoms and harvested their chips. Now with the easy chips finished they would need to hunt units and face the anger for harvesting functional Famicoms. I kind of expect them to launch a $999 Analogue NT with individually hunted chips, otherwise it wouldn't make sense how much they've improved their customer service. Unless they are planning to do an Analogue SN. A man can dream.

I wonder if it would be worth it for them to have a "ship us your famicom we do the work" kinda thing. I wonder if there's a use for dismantled famicoms? (shitty cheap cpu clones installed?). Analogue has to have more parts for these kinds of things. Not speaking towards the argument for or against tearing things apart, just wondering, really.

As for the "next step", I'd greatly, greatly prefer an "Analogue SG/MG". I can grab an SNES and toss it on the frame meister with RGB and get pretty good picture, pretty good sound. With Genesis, it's a little bit more tricky- and I've been having a tough time finding one that has a good picture and no buzzing in the sound. It's tough to find the right board revision- other than hope you get a VA2-6 motherboard in one of the older units. Also seem much more prone to cap leakage and such than the SNES units in general

Now with the easy chips finished they would need to hunt units and face the anger for harvesting functional Famicoms.

Misguided anger, maybe. Famicoms are stupid plentiful. There are far more out there than there are classic gamers. Harvest away, it won't make Famicoms any harder to find.

Chittagong

Gold Member
I wonder if it would be worth it for them to have a "ship us your famicom we do the work" kinda thing. I wonder if there's a use for dismantled famicoms? (shitty cheap cpu clones installed?). Analogue has to have more parts for these kinds of things. Not speaking towards the argument for or against tearing things apart, just wondering, really.

As for the "next step", I'd greatly, greatly prefer an "Analogue SG/MG". I can grab an SNES and toss it on the frame meister with RGB and get pretty good picture, pretty good sound. With Genesis, it's a little bit more tricky- and I've been having a tough time finding one that has a good picture and no buzzing in the sound. It's tough to find the right board revision- other than hope you get a VA2-6 motherboard in one of the older units. Also seem much more prone to cap leakage and such than the SNES units in general

Yeah I wouldn't mind a bit of Virtua Racing HDMI. It's good to keep in mind though that Analogue are bound to whatever solutions are available in the market, a large part of why Analogue Nt is so great is the fact that Kevtris made that HDMI mod. So somebody would need to have an awesome Super NES or MegaDrive mod for us to see an Analogue SN or MD

BTails

I haven't played much with my Analogue NT, as it still refuses to play nice with my Everdrive. All my actual carts work great though, and the hardware really is amazing.

Apparently Analogue shipped some test hardware to Krikzz a few weeks back, but he hasn't done much work trying to figure out what's wrong as he's been full-steam ahead on the Everdrive GBA.

Very frustrating. I was really looking forward to playing some translated Famicom games like Sweet Home, Lagrange Point (Which works with expansion audio on the Hi-Def board from Kevtris), and Portopia Serial Murder Case.

Very frustrating. I was really looking forward to playing some translated Famicom games like Sweet Home, Lagrange Point (Which works with expansion audio on the Hi-Def board from Kevtris), and Portopia Serial Murder Case.

I can't live without my Everdrives. The N8 has save states for gosh sakes.

TheWraith

Sorry for the bump. Anyone here with the Holy Diver cart and an Analogue that can test to see if they have the same issue? Thanks.

On the Everdrive forums, KRIKzz stated he's unable to reproduce the error on his end and asked for someone to send in their hardware, so I've agreed to send him my 2nd run Analogue NT and Everdrive N8 Famicom cart. I can't play anything for more than 15 minutes, so he should have no trouble reproducing this.

Hope that'll help us get to the bottom of this!

BTails

On the Everdrive forums, KRIKzz stated he's unable to reproduce the error on his end and asked for someone to send in their hardware, so I've agreed to send him my 2nd run Analogue NT and Everdrive N8 Famicom cart. I can't play anything for more than 15 minutes, so he should have no trouble reproducing this.

Hope that'll help us get to the bottom of this!

Thank you so much Beelulzebub, I appreciate you volunteering to send your hardware along. Please be sure to keep us up to date, you're the hero we need!

mableguy

Neo Member
Hi guys, I just finished reading half of this entire post. Very interesting stuff.

I just got my 2nd gen, HDMI Analogue NT last week (order #2461). I must have been one of the last ones!

As some of you, I'm experiencing trouble using an Everdrive N8, Famicom cart. Random resets, glitches, scrambled graphics, failed boot-ups...unplayable, really. Changing to Phase 3 has made it more stable, but still trouble-riddled.

I've only tested one real cart (Mega Man 2), and it works flawlessly.

beelulzebub, I tip my hat to you for sending your system over to KRIKzz. I really hope he can work it out...

Has anybody with these problems has tested a NES-type Everdrive N8? Just to rule out that the problem is specific for famicom-type carts...

Kawika

Hi guys, I just finished reading half of this entire post. Very interesting stuff.

I just got my 2nd gen, HDMI Analogue NT last week (order #2461). I must have been one of the last ones!

As some of you, I'm experiencing trouble using an Everdrive N8, Famicom cart. Random resets, glitches, scrambled graphics, failed boot-ups...unplayable, really. Changing to Phase 3 has made it more stable, but still trouble-riddled.

I've only tested one real cart (Mega Man 2), and it works flawlessly.

beelulzebub, I tip my hat to you for sending your system over to KRIKzz. I really hope he can work it out...

Has anybody with these problems has tested a NES-type Everdrive N8? Just to rule out that the problem is specific for famicom-type carts...

I have a 1st gen NT. I bought a NES N8 shortly after. I have 0 issues with it.

I haven't updated my HDMI to the latest firmware but I have the one that launched with the 2nd gen.

I still have weirdness with Blaster Master both on Cart and on my Everdrive.

Also if you want to play Star Tropics, you have to turn off save states on the Everdrive. Those games are cheap enough that you might want to just buy those and not mess with your ED.

BTails

I have a 1st gen NT. I bought a NES N8 shortly after. I have 0 issues with it.

I haven't updated my HDMI to the latest firmware but I have the one that launched with the 2nd gen.

I still have weirdness with Blaster Master both on Cart and on my Everdrive.

Also if you want to play Star Tropics, you have to turn off save states on the Everdrive. Those games are cheap enough that you might want to just buy those and not mess with your ED.

I'm pretty sure the Blaster Master glitches got fixed on the last HDMI update.

Personally, I'm waiting to hear back from Analogue about if they have enough volunteers to send in their NTs and Everdrives to Krikzz, since I'm still having issues.

Frostburn

Blaster Master title screen is fixed in the latest HDMI Kit Firmware update. I've had my Everdrive N8 (NES Cart) reset the system on me once (While playing SMB 3) but that is the only issue I "think" I can tie to the Everdrive. I am normally playing on my real carts though but sometimes when I'm lazy it is easier to just use the Everdrive. I will keep using the Everdrive and see if any more issues come up.

_Ryo_

I love the concept of this device, unfortunately it is way too fucking expensive for me.

BTW, could a Dreamcast version of this work? I know there is at VGA boxes and currently an in development HDMI mod (HDMIDC) but I think those only allow 480p output, that can be upscaled. I'd love to play some DC games without lag, in good fps, in 1080p.

Thank you so much Beelulzebub, I appreciate you volunteering to send your hardware along. Please be sure to keep us up to date, you're the hero we need!

Thanks dudes! My Analogue NT and Famicom N8 are currently being held up by customs, but they made it to Ukraine at least. Hopefully shouldn't be long now!

I'm pretty sure the Blaster Master glitches got fixed on the last HDMI update.

Personally, I'm waiting to hear back from Analogue about if they have enough volunteers to send in their NTs and Everdrives to Krikzz, since I'm still having issues.

I hope that won't be necessary! The hardware Analogue sent previously wouldn't replicate this issue, but hoping one set of hardware with reproducible errors should be enough to get to the bottom of it.

I love the concept of this device, unfortunately it is way too fucking expensive for me.

BTW, could a Dreamcast version of this work? I know there is at VGA boxes and currently an in development HDMI mod (HDMIDC) but I think those only allow 480p output, that can be upscaled. I'd love to play some DC games without lag, in good fps, in 1080p.

according to televator, HDMIDC upscales to 4K
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=205615571&postcount=16228

BTails

I hope that won't be necessary! The hardware Analogue sent previously wouldn't replicate this issue, but hoping one set of hardware with reproducible errors should be enough to get to the bottom of it.

Yeah, they said on the Krikzz forums that they're going to wait until Krikzz "plays" with your hardware before asking for anyone to send theirs in.

Here's hoping we'll have a general fix for eveyone having issues in the next few weeks! Would love to spend more time with my NT, as the system itself is amazing.

mableguy

Neo Member
I'm currently testing my HDMI NT with the NES Powerpak. I was able to return my Famicom Everdrive (30-day period), so I decided to give the Powerpak a spin.

With no changes whatsoever, the Powerpak ran Mario 3 with no issues (it was unplayable in the everdrive). Other games presented similar problems as before, though. However, I just changed the Despeckle setting to Phase 3, and so far, every ROM is working great! I still have more testing to do.

I hope this keeps working. It is a very strange problem, indeed.

Top Bottom