• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Analogue NT ($578 HDMI NES) |OT| Better than anything, and ready to ship years ago

Kawika

Audio works just fine on all JP Konami games I've tried out through the ED! You'll also want to take some time to set up your hotkeys on both the ED and the NT before diving in.

If you're having any issues with it running once you get the cart, drop me a PM and I'll let you know what OS and whatnot I'm working with. Also, I purchased my N8 from Stoneage. The cart has an extra layer of black paint or whatever that chipped off a bit on the NT's slot. No damage to the NT, though

That near death music is great... for the first few times. I'm pretty sure it plays on loop in hell.

Stone age gamer has clear carts now. I am going to swap that out because my NT really likes to flake that paint off. I really haven't noticed the damage to my normal carts.

TSM

I received mine last Thursday, but I haven't fired it up yet. I bought a bunch of games in anticipation, but my OCD has caused me to wait to hold off until I can use my brand new Everdrive N8 tomorrow. I have a sizable game collection including imported Famicom games, but I don't want to dirty the pins in the new console with my old game cartridges. The Everdrive site says it uses a SD card, but it actually uses a MicroSD card. UPS has the card listed for delivery tomorrow.

I received mine last Thursday, but I haven't fired it up yet. I bought a bunch of games in anticipation, but my OCD has caused me to wait to hold off until I can use my brand new Everdrive N8 tomorrow. I have a sizable game collection including imported Famicom games, but I don't want to dirty the pins in the new console with my old game cartridges. The Everdrive site says it uses a SD card, but it actually uses a MicroSD card. UPS has the card listed for delivery tomorrow.

I had the same problem. I bought an SD card all ready to go for my N8 but it came with MicroSD. It's not a big deal but was kind of annoying.

BTails

Haha, I'm pretty much the exact opposite: I have a micro SD card ready, but my Everdrive N8 just shipped this morning. Also, my NT hasn't shipped yet either, so there's that too.

TSM

I finally got my MicroSD card and got my Famicom Everdrive N8 cartridge up and running. Unfortunately it's not playing nice with my NT. I was hoping not to have to put my old carts in the new slots, but I had to make sure the NT was working correctly. The N8 acts flaky even before I launch a game, so I don't believe it's the roms I'm using. When I use the real carts it seems to work fine. This means I'll have to get the rest of my carts out of storage which is rather annoying. Maybe there's a hi-def nes update past the version 2.0 10-16-15 that my NT is on?

At any rate my regular carts appear to be working fine with my NT. I took a couple screen captures:

Castlevania:
castlevania3duyc.png

Goonies 2:
goonies2s9utf.png

Kid Dracula:
kiddracula9fupy.png

Ninja Gaiden:
ninjagaidenf6uhg.png

The Legend f Zelda:
zeldadungeonrku50.png

It's also weird that you have to select your expansion audio chip in the hi-def nes menu if you try and play a Famicom game that uses one. I had to look up which chip my Rolling Thunder cart used to get the music to work.

TheWraith

I finally got my MicroSD card and got my Famicom Everdrive N8 cartridge up and running. Unfortunately it's not playing nice with my NT. I was hoping not to have to put my old carts in the new slots, but I had to make sure the NT was working correctly. The N8 acts flaky even before I launch a game, so I don't believe it's the roms I'm using. When I use the real carts it seems to work fine. This means I'll have to get the rest of my carts out of storage which is rather annoying. Maybe there's a hi-def nes update past the version 2.0 10-16-15 that my NT is on?

At any rate my regular carts appear to be working fine with my NT. I took a couple screen captures:

It's also weird that you have to select your expansion audio chip in the hi-def nes menu if you try and play a Famicom game that uses one. I had to look up which chip my Rolling Thunder cart used to get the music to work.

You have an NT but play without scanlines?

Frostburn

Make sure you've formatted the card and use the latest version of the Everdrive Firmware v13. Anything before that version seems to not work. Also I bought my N8 directly from Krikzz about a month ago and it takes a normal SD Card.

Peagles

It is a legit Everdrive or a clone? If it's a clone you'll have issues.

TSM

It is a legit Everdrive or a clone? If it's a clone you'll have issues.

I ordered it directly from Krizz during his Black Friday sale. My N64 Everdive works fine. I hope I didn't get a dud because I've had it since late December and just now got a chance to try it out.

Make sure you've formatted the card and use the latest version of the Everdrive Firmware v13. Anything before that version seems to not work. Also I bought my N8 directly from Krikzz about a month ago and it takes a normal SD Card.

I've done all that. The reason yours takes a normal SD card is because you have the NES version. I bought the Famicom style.

Peagles

I ordered it directly from Krizz during his Black Friday sale. My N64 Everdive works fine. I hope I didn't get a dud because I've had it since late December and just now got a chance to try it out.

I've done all that. The reason yours takes a normal SD card is because you have the NES version. I bought the Famicom style.

Can you expand more on the flakiness? What does it do? Most problems are to do with the SD card.

TheWraith

My unit arrived but unfortunately it might be faulty: picture more often then not doesn't stabilise in 1080p mode, but is fine in other resolutions. Also in all modes I get a strong humming sound as soon as the console is powered on, and in some cases like Castlevania it even supersedes the main music track, so I only hear the hum and sound effects! :(

Have asked analogue for help.

BTails

My unit arrived but unfortunately it might be faulty: picture more often then not doesn't stabilise in 1080p mode, but is fine in other resolutions. Also in all modes I get a strong humming sound as soon as the console is powered on, and in some cases like Castlevania it even supersedes the main music track, so I only hear the hum and sound effects! :(

Eek, let me know how they respond! With reports of not working Everdrives, Famicom slots not opening, and now this, I'm getting worried for my unit which still hasn't shipped, :(

Not that I don't think Analogue won't make it right in every instance, but I just want mine to work when I get it without the hassle of sending it back. I want to play NES! Haha

StevieWhite

Eek, let me know how they respond! With reports of not working Everdrives, Famicom slots not opening, and now this, I'm getting worried for my unit which still hasn't shipped, :(

Not that I don't think Analogue won't make it right in every instance, but I just want mine to work when I get it without the hassle of sending it back. I want to play NES! Haha

They have VERY responsive customer service - they always got back to me within a day or two.

TSM

Can you expand more on the flakiness? What does it do? Most problems are to do with the SD card.

Yeah, my next move is to try another microsd card. I bought a Sandisk Ultra 32 gb microsd. Since all the microsd cards all seem to fall into the same price range I figured that I might as well get one I might eventually use for another purpose.

Edit: I tried an older Sandisk Ultra 64 gb microsd card that I also had, and while it did behave slightly differently in Ninja Gaiden it still had issues. I guess I should run to Walmart or Staples and buy an el cheapo sd card and see what happens.

Edit: OK, I went and bought a PNY 8 GB microsd card and it's the same deal.

TheWraith

They've been quite responsive, but despite a full system default reset, issue is still there, let's see what they say. Probably will have to send it back all the way back to the US I'm guessing.

A shame though, because the picture is simply amazing when it does work. Never seen NES video this amazing and crisp. Great selection of scanline and video options as well.

Peagles

Yeah, my next move is to try another microsd card. I bought a Sandisk Ultra 32 gb microsd. Since all the microsd cards all seem to fall into the same price range I figured that I might as well get one I might eventually use for another purpose.

Edit: I tried an older Sandisk Ultra 64 gb microsd card that I also had, and while it did behave slightly differently in Ninja Gaiden it still had issues. I guess I should run to Walmart or Staples and buy an el cheapo sd card and see what happens.

Edit: OK, I went and bought a PNY 8 GB microsd card and it's the same deal.

Can you be more specific about what the problem with it is? Is it crashing? Spitting out any error codes? Most things are fixable and if it's DOA they will send a replacement.

TheWraith

Ok strangest thing, tried it at a friend's home and it works perfectly! The only thing different is that we used his hdmi cable instead of the ones in my home/one that Analogue supplied.

Would the issue be type of hdmi cable used? I have a Samsung hdtv series 8, so it can't be the tv...

kiun

on my HDMI unit, I noticed flicker pixels on the top edges for megaman 2. Setting the cropping for top edge to 3 takes care of it. Wondering if you guys notice the same as well.

Besides 4x vertical 5x horizontal setting, what other settings do you guys recommend for 1080p display ?

BTW anyone know what the audio select adjust does ?

Chittagong

Gold Member
on my HDMI unit, I noticed flicker pixels on the top edges for megaman 2. Setting the cropping for top edge to 3 takes care of it. Wondering if you guys notice the same as well.

Yeah screen edges of NES games seem to flicker a fair bit, don't know really why. I guess it wasn't as obvious back in the day when not every pixel fit the screen.

BTails

Yeah, overscan issues become a problem nowadays. Been playing Shinobi for the Genesis game club, and it's got some pretty giant, colourful borders on most stages (Love the pink on in Stage 1!) when going RGB through my Framemeister.

Some screens of Ultima: Quest of the Avatar I grabbed through an NT. Cropped these down, so the aspect ratio is weird. Enjoy!

Looking good Steve! This is making the wait for my system unbearable... Come on Analogue, just ship it already! I know you want to...

Kawika

Yeah, overscan issues become a problem nowadays. Been playing Shinobi for the Genesis game club, and it's got some pretty giant, colourful borders on most stages (Love the pink on in Stage 1!) when going RGB through my Framemeister.

Looking good Steve! This is making the wait for my system unbearable... Come on Analogue, just ship it already! I know you want to...

Not to hijack the thread but have you used the Genesis 5x 1080p setting profile from the Pixel Purest? ( http://www.firebrandx.com/pixelpurist.html ) I rarely use my own settings anymore. I think you lose 12 pixels (6 from the top and 6 from the bottom) but I don't even notice it because of the beautiful square pixels.

I am actually thinking about sending my unit back and just get the HDMI removed in favor of the RGB but that really takes a lot of the premium feel out of the unit in my opinion. I keep hoping they can figure out a daughter board for S-Video or RGB so I can have both options out of the same unit. I have to admit, even through the framemeister is better in a lot of ways, the way the HDMI options work on the NT are really user friendly.

BTails

Not to hijack the thread but have you used the Genesis 5x 1080p setting profile from the Pixel Purest? ( http://www.firebrandx.com/pixelpurist.html ) I rarely use my own settings anymore. I think you lose 12 pixels (6 from the top and 6 from the bottom) but I don't even notice it because of the beautiful square pixels.

I am actually thinking about sending my unit back and just get the HDMI removed in favor of the RGB but that really takes a lot of the premium feel out of the unit in my opinion. I keep hoping they can figure out a daughter board for S-Video or RGB so I can have both options out of the same unit. I have to admit, even through the framemeister is better in a lot of ways, the way the HDMI options work on the NT are really user friendly.

I've thought about using FBX's profiles before, but I run my Framemeister in 720p because the scanlines look wonky on 1080p, so his profiles aren't a big draw.

StevieWhite

I've thought about using FBX's profiles before, but I run my Framemeister in 720p because the scanlines look wonky on 1080p, so his profiles aren't a big draw.

Doesn't really fix the 720 issue, but I find that Chris Genthe's (implant ganes) profiles are a nice alternative, or at least a good starting point for making your own.

BTails

Just as an FYI, I just received an email from Analogue that they had 40 extra units for sale tomorrow (March 25) at 10:00 PST. In case anyone was still looking for a unit, this might be your last chance.

TheWraith

You should try his, scanlines look actually decent at 4x in 1080p! I used to play only in 720p before like you. Also remember to upgrade to the latest firmware.

For the Analogue NT I prefer 720p with scanlines as it looks perfect, 1080p looks just overly sharp and detailed for nes games imho.

Weevilone

Did anyone get one from the units that went up today? I was refreshing right on time but never saw anything aside from "sold out". Tried to check out anyways but didn't allow that.

Trying to decide whether they're fixing the store, or it was over in seconds.

Edit: It looks like typical Shopify bullshit. Was trying to buy at 10AM Pacific sharp for half an hour. They allegedly sold out in < 5 minutes, but the store was removing them from my cart from the moment they went live. And at least 1 person got one 15 minutes later. Reminds me of the Limited Run Games stuff all over again.

Kawika

So last night I tried playing Star Tropics on my Everdrive. Does anyone know if there is an issue with this game like we have with Blaster Master (neither rom nor cart work with out weirdness in the intro).and other games? I recently moved and my nes collection is split into 2 boxes that aren'' exactly accessible (easily) so I couldn't pull out my old copy to see if this is something to do with the ED Rom or if it something to do with the HDMI NT's compatibility.

Chittagong

Gold Member
So last night I tried playing Star Tropics on my Everdrive. Does anyone know if there is an issue with this game like we have with Blaster Master (neither rom nor cart work with out weirdness in the intro).and other games? I recently moved and my nes collection is split into 2 boxes that aren'' exactly accessible (easily) so I couldn't pull out my old copy to see if this is something to do with the ED Rom or if it something to do with the HDMI NT's compatibility.

I've played Star Tropics for a few hours on my NT without issues.

yTQKXfA.jpg

BTails

Got my Analogue, and I'm in LOVE. Except...

I'm having a lot of issues with the Everdrive and my Analogue NT. The cart boots fine, but many games have graphical glitches: usually shaking status bars or other elements. One extreme example is that Super Mario 3 has half of the screen garbled!

I tested a bunch of my NES carts, and they all seem to work fine (Including a real US SMB3 cart). Other games seem to work fine, such as Castlevania 3 Japanese, and the expansion music sounds amazing. However it just froze after I played for about 15 minutes (Got to the boss of stage 3).

The only game that I haven't been able to get running in even a glitches form is Lagrange Point, which crashes instantly on the title screen.

I posted in the Krikzz forum this evening, hopefully someone will be able to help me out. Will email Analogue in the next couple days if I can't find a solution (Like I mentioned, real carts seem to be playing 100%).

BTails

Sorry to hear that, man. What firmware are you using?

Latest firmware from Krikzz, and the Hi-Def NES is on firmware 2.0.

I did some testing today, a couple different versions of the SMB3 Rom, along with two different Micro SD cards, and it was glitching every time. I wish I had a famicom to test the Everdrive, but I only have a Toaster NES, so I can't see if it's the cart or the Analogue NT.

Going to email Analogue today to see what they say.

StevieWhite

I did some testing today, a couple different versions of the SMB3 Rom, along with two different Micro SD cards, and it was glitching every time. I wish I had a famicom to test the Everdrive, but I only have a Toaster NES, so I can't see if it's the cart or the Analogue NT.

I dunno what the latest firmware for Krikzz's is presently, but have you tried rolling back to a prior OS?

TSM

I've had issues with mine as well, but I've been sick for a couple weeks and haven't had the enthusiasm to dig deeper. Everything is definitely not working 100% with my Famicom Everdrive N8 though. Hopefully I feel better over the next week and get back to it.

Edit: Just read your thread on the support forum and your problems sound similar to mine. Regular carts work flawlessly, but running games off the N8 tends to result in graphical issues and/or freezing. I've tried multiple different micro sd cards, reformatting said cards and even different rom sets. The result is always the same, the actual cart runs fine while running it in on the N8 results in issues.

BTails

I've had issues with mine as well, but I've been sick for a couple weeks and haven't had the enthusiasm to dig deeper. Everything is definitely not working 100% with my Famicom Everdrive N8 though. Hopefully I feel better over the next week and get back to it.

Edit: Just read your thread on the support forum and your problems sound similar to mine. Regular carts work flawlessly, but running games off the N8 tends to result in graphical issues and/or freezing. I've tried multiple different micro sd cards, reformatting said cards and even different rom sets. The result is always the same, the actual cart runs fine while running it in on the N8 results in issues.

Haha, TSM, it sounds like we're in the exact same boat: I'm quite sick today myself! I did, however, email both Analogue NT, and send a PM to Krikzz, so I'll share any info that I receive here.

It seems like a lot of graphics issues come from faulty power supplies, I wonder if there's an issue with some of the power cords on the second run of Analogues?

It's a shame, my wife's away all weekend, and I was looking forward to spending a number of hours playing through Sweet Home for the first time!

TSM

Haha, TSM, it sounds like we're in the exact same boat: I'm quite sick today myself! I did, however, email both Analogue NT, and send a PM to Krikzz, so I'll share any info that I receive here.

It seems like a lot of graphics issues come from faulty power supplies, I wonder if there's an issue with some of the power cords on the second run of Analogues?

It's a shame, my wife's away all weekend, and I was looking forward to spending a number of hours playing through Sweet Home for the first time!

I already emailed Analogue a couple weeks ago and their response was that it's not their problem. Any issues with the Everdrive should be directed to Krikzz.

I went and added my issues to your post on the support forum and hopefully we get a response at some point. I'm more than willing to buy a better power supply if that would resolve the issue.

BTails

As a brief update, I tried reverting back to firmware v12, to see if that did anything, but it had the same issues: games would load, but were often glitchy or would freeze.

Frostburn

Are you guys on the Normal NES Everdrive N8 or the Famicom Everdrive? I've got a 2nd release NT and a new NES Everdrive and have no issues so far. Maybe the issues are tied to a specific PPU version? Tried different SD cards?

TSM

Are you guys on the Normal NES Everdrive N8 or the Famicom Everdrive? I've got a 2nd release NT and a new NES Everdrive and have no issues so far. Maybe the issues are tied to a specific PPU version? Tried different SD cards?

We're on the Famicom version, and yeah I've tried several different micro sd cards.

BTails

So Krikzz got back to me, and said that due to system timing changes with the HDMI mod, that there's not much he can do. Pretty frustrating, considering people are able to use their Everdrive just fine.

I've reached out to Kevtris, who designed the HDMI mod, on the NESdev forum. Still haven't heard back from Analogue.

TheWraith

Ok, so I found a solution to the buzzing issue and it was to get a new tv. My now previous Samsung TV 8000 series, gave this buzzing noise as soon as the Analogue was switched on. Strangely enough if I put TV out off Game Mode the buzzing went away. Now have a Sony Bravia and all is well in the world.

...except two strange things though:

1. When the Analogue is off, and when I play any retro console (SNES, Genesis,...) connected to my Framemeister the video is super unstable and distorted. If I then unplug the power cable from the analogue, the issue goes away! This is the same no matter if I plug the Analogue's hdmi cable directly in the TV or through the Frameister's HDMI direct input. This means that when i play other retro consoles I now have to make sure the Analogue's power adapter is unplugged.

There was some talk a few posts up regarding faulty power supply, could this be the reason?

2. Out of all my games only two don't work: Bionic Commando (NES) and JP versions. The NES version plays fine but screenfreezes at the start of the first level. JP version just doesn't start after the start screen. Since those games are kindof the same, can somebody report in if these games work with them?

Kawika

I've played Star Tropics for a few hours on my NT without issues.

yTQKXfA.jpg

So I was doing some research. Anyone interested in playing either Startropics or Startropics 2 on an Everdrive will need to do the following:

"In order to play the two MMC6 games, Startropics and Startropics 2: Zoda's Revenge, the save state feature must be turned off in the options menu."

I pulled out my original copy of Startropics and it worked no problem. This was entirely an Everdrive quirk. Just wanted to give everyone a heads up if they run into this issue.

BTails

Frostburn, is your Analogue NT an HDMI model? If so, it'd be really interesting to see if there's an issue with the Famicom shell vs the NES shell.

BTails

Update: FIXED??

I was playing around with my setup again today, and I changed the "Despeckle" setting from Phase 0 to Phase 1, and that seemed to fix all of the graphical errors I was having! I haven't had a chance to test long-term yet, but I was able to run a number of games that were showing corrupt graphics fine.

Lagrange Point also booted as well, instead of crashing on the title screen!

TSM: I'd try this out if you're having issues.

Top Bottom