• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

An original film based on actual African history

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
An actual historical epic set in Africa based on the real all-female army of the Dahomey warriors, also called Amazons.
NbIIEjx.jpg
ch6JQwU.jpg

Release date: September 16 in theaters

The film is inspired by true events that took place in The Kingdom of Dahomey, one of the most powerful states of Africa in the 18th and 19th centuries. Its story follows Nanisca (Viola Davis), General of the all-female military unit, and Nawi (Thuso Mbedu), an ambitious recruit, who together fought enemies who violated their honor, enslaved their people, and threatened to destroy everything they’ve lived for.

The Woman King also stars Lashana Lynch, John Boyega, Adrienne Warren, Sheila Atim, Jayme Lawson and Hero Fiennes Tiffin. Prince-Bythewood penned the final draft of the script with Dana Stevens, who also wrote the original. Davis produced the pic with Cathy Schulman, Julius Tennon and Maria Bello.

Scotty W

An actual historical epic set in Africa based on the real all-female army of the Dahomey warriors, also called Amazons.
NbIIEjx.jpg
ch6JQwU.jpg

The film is inspired by true events that took place in The Kingdom of Dahomey, one of the most powerful states of Africa in the 18th and 19th centuries. Its story follows Nanisca (Viola Davis), General of the all-female military unit, and Nawi (Thuso Mbedu), an ambitious recruit, who together fought enemies who violated their honor, enslaved their people, and threatened to destroy everything they’ve lived for.

The Woman King also stars Lashana Lynch, John Boyega, Adrienne Warren, Sheila Atim, Jayme Lawson and Hero Fiennes Tiffin. Prince-Bythewood penned the final draft of the script with Dana Stevens, who also wrote the original. Davis produced the pic with Cathy Schulman, Julius Tennon and Maria Bello.
More of this please. Just, makeit good.

ymoc

Ok this sounds pretty interesting. I've been waiting for a movie set in Africa for a loooong time (no, Black Panther doesn't cut it).

I think the last movie set in Africa that I saw was Masai, more than 15 years ago. I still remember I was the only guy in the cinema and the ticket lady actually came to check on me if im gonna be ok being alone in there lol. Well "luckily" an elderly couple walked in a minute later and so the three of us shared the entire cinema for ourselves. It was nice.

Definitely going to check this out.

Kimahri

Banned
That looks and sounds awesome. Any trailer for it?

I watch this film Amina on Netflix last year which wad Niherian and based on a real person, plus some fantastical elements. It was super low budget and amateurish compared to the standards we're used to, but still. I found it highøy intriguing and interesting and can't forget about it.

Maybe it was the setting which we don't see often, or just the story rhat under the layers of school level film making was really good, but it made me hungry for more movies made by people far removed from western sensibilities.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Fun fact: the Dora Milaje from Black Panther were inspired by the Dahomey Amazon warriors, the group this movie is based on!

Fun fact. They could also load muskets in 30 seconds, which was almost half the time quicker than the male soldiers!

Fun fact 2: they were brutal. A common practice for new recruits required them to climb a 16 feet high platform, pick up baskets containing bound and gagged prisoners and then throw them over the edge!

They were also big into slavery, with some of them having 50 slaves at their disposal.

It's great that this film is being made. African history needs more exposure as it's just as rich and epic as Europe, Asia etc. However, something tells me they won't be going for historical accuracy in this film.

IDKFA

Ok this sounds pretty interesting. I've been waiting for a movie set in Africa for a loooong time (no, Black Panther doesn't cut it).

I think the last movie set in Africa that I saw was Masai, more than 15 years ago. I still remember I was the only guy in the cinema and the ticket lady actually came to check on me if im gonna be ok being alone in there lol. Well "luckily" an elderly couple walked in a minute later and so the three of us shared the entire cinema for ourselves. It was nice.

Have you seen Beasts Of No Nation on Netflix? It's set in a fictional African country, but it's based on real issues that some African nations face, such as child soldiers and civil war. The film is absolutely brutal and Idris Elba is fantastic in it.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I'm waiting for everyone that complains there isn't enough diversity in casting of viking, british royalty, and irish epics applies the same criteria to this*

*I want authenticity, so I cautiously applaud this film. They took a NEW setting and story where the desired casting fits instead of taking the same old european originating stories and slapping it on a new cast.

I hope this is shown in the movie:

Notable in the kingdom were significant artwork, an all-female military unit called the Dahomey Amazons by European observers, and the elaborate religious practices of Vodun.[3] The growth of Dahomey coincided with the growth of the Atlantic slave trade, and it became known to European traders as a major supplier of slaves, allowing the royal elites of Dahomey to gain prestige and consolidated authority.[4] The kingdom captured children, women, and men during wars and raids against weaker ethnic groups, and sold them into the Atlantic slave trade in exchange for European goods such as rifles, gunpowder, fabrics, cowrie shells, tobacco, pipes, and alcohol.[5]

jason10mm

Gold Member
I'm actually ok if they.....whitewash (for lack of a better term, sanitize perhaps?) the story. Certainly has been done plenty of times for european or american stories. BUT, and it is a big BUT, if they do that then they have to respect the good things that kind of distance gives you but should also realize that it means you have to now obey the culture mob about other aspects of your story. So a chest thumping epic battle movie showing these ladies in the best possible light as a positive cinematic thrill ride experience is fine. But hey should cast some south pacific, central american, and northern asian ladies in that case because now it is FANTASY, not reality.

If this is a gritty "true to life" story then I'd expect those elements of slavery and savagery to be included.

IDKFA

Notable in the kingdom were significant artwork, an all-female military unit called the Dahomey Amazons by European observers, and the elaborate religious practices of Vodun.[3] The growth of Dahomey coincided with the growth of the Atlantic slave trade, and it became known to European traders as a major supplier of slaves, allowing the royal elites of Dahomey to gain prestige and consolidated authority.[4] The kingdom captured children, women, and men during wars and raids against weaker ethnic groups, and sold them into the Atlantic slave trade in exchange for European goods such as rifles, gunpowder, fabrics, cowrie shells, tobacco, pipes, and alcohol.[5]

I highly doubt they'll be telling that side of the story.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
So...I tried googling it a bit and couldn't come up with anything great.

A female military unit got its ass handed to it pretty regularly right?

Still...a fascinating story if there's truth to it. Hope it turns out good.

ymoc

Have you seen Beasts Of No Nation on Netflix? It's set in a fictional African country, but it's based on real issues that some African nations face, such as child soldiers and civil war. The film is absolutely brutal and Idris Elba is fantastic in it.
No, haven't heard about it. Sounds interesting. Thank you for the recommendation, i'll check it out. And Idris Elba is a nice boon! Love him.

IDKFA

No, haven't heard about it. Sounds interesting. Thank you for the recommendation, i'll check it out. And Idris Elba is a nice boon! Love him.

It's a fantastic film, but it's also incredibly harrowing. I could only watch it once. Enjoy!

I really liked this one:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I never heard of them before, so I just scanned through the brief Wikipedia article and it sounds fascinating. I hope it's thoughtful and not just some shallow action movie.

sol_bad

NbIIEjx.jpg
ch6JQwU.jpg

I saw these screenshots and though it looked great. I though there is no need to see a trailer or know what the story is, I just want to see it and be surprised by the story.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended

Where is the link to this? I feel you might have left something out...I forgot to reply to this back in February.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
So...I tried googling it a bit and couldn't come up with anything great.

A female military unit got its ass handed to it pretty regularly right?

Still...a fascinating story if there's truth to it. Hope it turns out good.
From 1600s to most of the 1800s, they were undefeated...

It wasn't until conflict with a rival kingdom and then the European guns did they have to face defeat. The last surviving Dahomey Warrior (who took on their traditions) is still alive, elderly.

Stitch

Gold Member
Where is the link to this? I feel you might have left something out...I forgot to reply to this back in February.
here

Since Dahomey was a significant military power involved in the slave trade, slaves and human sacrifice became crucial aspects of the ceremony. Captives from war and criminals were killed for the deceased kings of Dahomey. During the ceremony, around 500 prisoners would be sacrificed. As many as 4,000 were reported killed In one of these ceremonies in 1727. Most of the victims were sacrificed through decapitation, a tradition widely used by Dahomean kings, and the literal translation for the Fon name for the ceremony Xwetanu is "yearly head business".

oh boy GIF

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended

Appreciated. I actually took it upon myself after posting that to look up Dahomey's history with the Transatlantic Slave Trade ... The rival kingdom wanted it to end, so did Dahomey's merchants who had a thriving palm oil industry...

What has struck me is that Dahomey Warriors were skilled Martial Arts combatants! Stick Fighting and other forms of martial arts are unique to Africa (Capoeira originated in African martial arts systems). Often, they resemble Asian Martial Arts, most notably Chinese Gung Fu and Muay Thai.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
She says "We are the spear of freedom" so I'm gonna go with "no, they are not going to talk much, if at all, about their culpability in the slave trade".

I'm cautiously optimistic. The Old Guard didn't really set me afire and the same director and editor did this film. Given the time period they are depicting, it's gonna end in an almost total party kill for the amazons when they start mixing it up with the French instead of other tribes. Might be interesting and have good battle scenes. Might also be soap opera trash, ignorant of it's own history, and instead serve as a medium for modern sensibility garbage. That these ladies seemed to be often homosexual and imitated men (going from the wiki entry anyway) is sure to lead screenwriters astray.

Hopefully they focus on the tough training, don't shy away from the barbarism of the culture of that period, and when they do go down it's emotional and climactic, not more tired anti-colonialist hand wringing.

Lady Jane

Banned
Here's the trailer. I'm cautiously optimistic. I love me a good historical drama but it looks a little too "Hollywood" for my taste.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
I really appreciate everyone's perspective on this... I never knew about their slave trade nor the human sacrifices (though many cultures had these)... Nothing is as black and white as popular history would have us believe.
Don't get me wrong, I'm all down for using new settings even if it is just gonna be sloppy trash like anything else. I don't really need ANOTHER sappy romance war saga set during the American Civil War, england anything, italian renaissance, WW2 major theater, roman times, or scandinavia circa vikings (ok, I'm always down for vikings). If this has a bunch of women kicking the shit out of anyone in their way I'm good with that. Buuuuuut if they take the bait and try to editorialize about the plight of modern women or whatever then they are missing out on what makes these films FUN and just for shits n'giggles I'll mention all the things this film is probably gonna have (low diversity cast, ignore the more problematic aspects of the culture, paint the 'bad people' with a really broad brush) that SO MANY other films get slammed for these days by the social media crowd but who will all go silent for this movie.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Don't get me wrong, I'm all down for using new settings even if it is just gonna be sloppy trash like anything else. I don't really need ANOTHER sappy romance war saga set during the American Civil War, england anything, italian renaissance, WW2 major theater, roman times, or scandinavia circa vikings (ok, I'm always down for vikings). If this has a bunch of women kicking the shit out of anyone in their way I'm good with that. Buuuuuut if they take the bait and try to editorialize about the plight of modern women or whatever then they are missing out on what makes these films FUN and just for shits n'giggles I'll mention all the things this film is probably gonna have (low diversity cast, ignore the more problematic aspects of the culture, paint the 'bad people' with a really broad brush) that SO MANY other films get slammed for these days by the social media crowd but who will all go silent for this movie.
Calling it now. She is the savior of the systems that are in place. To dive deeper, white men will be the baddies, black leader working with the white men will have an audience invoked sympathetic angle to do what his kingdom did, but that is him being viewed as weak and she is the strong leader saving her people, possibly leaving out the sacrifices and intertribal/and racial slave trade long before white men showed up.

It does look beautifully shot though, action wise and choreography. That alone has my interest.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Calling it now. She is the savior of the systems that are in place. To dive deeper, white men will be the baddies, black leader working with the white men will have an audience invoked sympathetic angle to do what his kingdom did, but that is him being viewed as weak and she is the strong leader saving her people, possibly leaving out the sacrifices and intertribal/and racial slave trade long before white men showed up.

It does look beautifully shot though, action wise and choreography. That alone has my interest.

Quite a few historical movies leave out the more problematic things of their time: biopic of Washington leaves out him owning slaves, biopic of Lincoln leaves out his belief that black people were inferior to white people and they should uphold white dominance, biopic of MLK leaves out his cheating, biopic of Gandhi leaves out his belief in the caste system and that dark skinned indians and blacks were beneath him, etc.

History is always rewritten... Leaving out the bad stuff.

So y'all saying "they're gonna leave out this and that"... Duh. That's what most of these biopics or "based on real events" movies do!

This would just be an introduction to the actual history... Folks can look it up if it catches their interest...

I mean Hamilton even glossed over that his wife's family had slaves...

Who is even the target audience for this? Slave trade enthusiasts?

People interested in the inspiration of the Dora Milaje, people who never heard of the Dahomey Amazon's, people who want to see something different?

Most people don't know anything about the Amazons of Dahomey.

AJUMP23

I think you could tell and we have told many a great story about the founding of America without talking about the issue of slavery. Even though many of the founders had slaves. You can get a good story and not be completely true. there is still value to the story. Many times though showing the faults helps you demonstrate that great things can come from people despite the flaws in their character.

IDKFA

Quite a few historical movies leave out the more problematic things of their time: biopic of Washington leaves out him owning slaves, biopic of Lincoln leaves out his belief that black people were inferior to white people and they should uphold white dominance, biopic of MLK leaves out his cheating, biopic of Gandhi leaves out his belief in the caste system and that dark skinned indians and blacks were beneath him, etc.

History is always rewritten... Leaving out the bad stuff.

So y'all saying "they're gonna leave out this and that"... Duh. That's what most of these biopics or "based on real events" movies do!

This would just be an introduction to the actual history... Folks can look it up if it catches their interest...

History is rewritten by film studios to make the story more appealing to the general audience. However, this is detrimental as a vast majority of the audience won't then go looking up the real history of the person/event.

For example, I'm sure many people believe Braveheart is the true historical account, but in reality it's so historically inaccurate that it's insulting to both the English and the Scottish. Yet, I know so many people that think it's accurate and a true account.

Another recent example is the King from Netflix, which tries to mix the true historical story of Henry V with Shakespeare. It paints the image of Henry V as a kindhearted King who was mislead into war with France. In reality he was incredibly cruel, arrogant and went to war purely to boost his own image.

Historical films and TV shows should strive to be as historically accurate as possible rather than create a false narrative.

AJUMP23

History is rewritten by film studios to make the story more appealing to the general audience. However, this is detrimental as a vast majority of the audience won't then go looking up the real history of the person/event.

For example, I'm sure many people believe Braveheart is the true historical account, but in reality it's so historically inaccurate that it's insulting to both the English and the Scottish. Yet, I know so many people that think it's accurate and a true account.

Another recent example is the King from Netflix, which tries to mix the true historical story of Henry V with Shakespeare. It paints the image of Henry V as a kindhearted King who was mislead into war with France. In reality he was incredibly cruel, arrogant and went to war purely to boost his own image.

Historical films and TV shows should strive to be as historically accurate as possible rather than create a false narrative.
You mean he didn't have a BRAVEHEART? Was it Timid?

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended

It's that way in High School history books too... Leaving out the less than savory parts... Exactly the stuff I listed isn't there either.

SOME movies do what you suggested, but the vast majority doesn't. I think the most faithful ones I've seen have been Malcolm X and ... I think... The one about the Zodiac killer.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Yeah, that would, from my POV, be a worst case scenario.

OTOH it could be a rousing battle hymn about a people that want to have self-determination and a place in the world, something that appeals to me (and every human, I'd think). The particulars can be smoothed over for the broad strokes of a group of women who move into a space traditionally inhabited by men because their men are dead. Sorta like Rosie the Riveter. They have to endure harsh conditions, just like any elite force, and eventually, despite overwhelming odds, they nut up and go to battle with grim results.

I don't need this to be a 100% accurate docudrama. It can be just a fun and chest thumping story of the human experience. OR it could be a "here is your lecture" waste of film stock because the message then contradicts the history but expects me to feel shame or guilt. Keep the story to universal human ideals and you can get away with a lot, start to cling to a specific polarizing political stance and its real hard to make good product (outside of the 5% that REALLY grok that specific thing, anyway).

Konnor

Despite the real history, there are still good and interesting stories to tell. We avoid difficult topics all the time in movies.

Despite the real history there are still good and interesting stories to tell about Stalin. Let's make a movie where they make him look badass.

AJUMP23

Despite the real history there are still good and interesting stories to tell about Stalin. Let's make a movie where they make him look badass.
The death of Stalin.

Surprised the commies in Hollywood haven’t. Any ww2 film on the eastern front is pro Stalin.

sol_bad

Trailer looks very cool. I generally don't care about accuracy in movies like Braveheart or Gladiator, I just want interesting characters, good motivations and great action set pieces. This film looks to deliver in those respects.

Top Bottom