• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

An objective look at the games shown, PS5 and XBox Series X game showcases

Status
Not open for further replies.

FritzJ92

That boggles my mind.

MS is also not saying that their console is the most powerful anymore, they moved on to "the most consistent performing console" or something along those lines.

I really wonder what is going on, wjy not show something... Anything on the new console.

Still on their website, in bold writing. "most powerful"

pasterpl

That boggles my mind.

MS is also not saying that their console is the most powerful anymore, they moved on to "the most consistent performing console" or something along those lines.

I really wonder what is going on, wjy not show something... Anything on the new console.

they do still say on the website

The most powerful console ever

Tulipanzo

Very positive? The consoles will be in our hands in like 2 months and we still have people trying to pretend that the series x is somehow all an elaborate hoax that doesn’t actually exist lol. Never mind the fact that devs are making games for it on their dev kits, oh no, they’re all in on it.
Absolutely ridiculous.
It'd be great if any of those games running on Series X could be seen by us.

Whatever you think, seeing "RUNNING ON SERIES X" before a game would be a big boon, just in terms of visibility.
While I'm sure the console is fine, it's a missed opportunity.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
I'm not your secretary, I just looked again to be sure it's there, they definitely claim every game runs on ps5 (except gta 5).

You should no go around schooling people when you can even read a simple notice near the beggining of a video.

Howerver, it appears that you do need some schooling.

The sentence "runs on ps5" includes in-engine scripted demos, AKA not actual gameplay. And we had a few of those in that showcase. I've brought this point a few times, and so far the only ones with official source stating they're gameplay (and mind you, this happened AFTER the event) are R&C and Godfall.

Agnostic2020 Agnostic2020 this post serves as a reply to you as well.

Howerver, it appears that you do need some schooling.

The sentence "runs on ps5" includes in-engine scripted demos, AKA not actual gameplay. And we had a few of those in that showcase. I've brought this point a few times, and so far the only ones with official source stating they're gameplay (and mind you, this happened AFTER the event) are R&C and Godfall.

Agnostic2020 Agnostic2020 this post serves as a reply to you as well.
U said u saw the gamepkay after insomniac guy talked. So u already seen the gameplay as he introduced the gameplay and he was playing it for 4 minutes . So I m not sure what we r talking about

Very positive? The consoles will be in our hands in like 2 months and we still have people trying to pretend that the series x is somehow all an elaborate hoax that doesn’t actually exist lol. Never mind the fact that devs are making games for it on their dev kits, oh no, they’re all in on it.
Absolutely ridiculous.
Why aren't the games being shown then, at this point the disks should be ready for printing.

I mean, sure we have no actual proof that something is wrong with the console (MS designed a lot of pretty good consoles in the last 20 years or so)... But why can't they even show a new game? or let third party devs show their new games on the new machine, it's supposed to run better on it, third party publishers prefer showing the best version of their games--for obvious reasons.

Like, sure the specs are interesting, but it's at the very least fishy that a couple of weeks before the thing is in store we have not seen anything running on it (presumably the quick load demo of existing games, and some dashboard upgrades, all lame as hell). Would you buy a car if the sales person told you they promise it's the fastest, but refuse to let you test drive it, let alone show it to you? Show us the money!

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
U said u saw the gamepkay after insomniac guy talked. So u already seen the gameplay as he introduced the gameplay and he was playing it for 4 minutes . So I m not sure what we r talking about

I am not sure what we're talking about neither since you really haven't communicated your point across in a manner that's understandable.

So, let's recap: I say that Sony does not say it is gameplay. He says Sony said. I ask him to provide a timestamp. He replies that he will not provide a timestamp but that they said it was "recorded on ps5". And I reply to him that "recorded on ps5" is not the same as "gameplay" since "recorded on ps5" includes things like in-engine demos. At that point I already have succesfully demonstrated my point. But I do elaborate further: after the conference (not during the conference), in the youtube uploads, 2 games had videos uploaded as actual gameplay, R&C and Godfall.

Do you understand now? The argument is about what Sony said at the conference: the other poster claims that they said "gameplay" and I explain how "recorded on ps5" does not mean gameplay since it includes things that are definitely not gameplay.

Last edited:
I am not sure what we're talking about neither since you really haven't communicated your point across in a manner that's understandable.

So, let's recap: I say that Sony does not say it is gameplay. He says Sony said. I ask him to provide a timestamp. He replies that he will not provide a timestamp but that they said it was "recorded on ps5". And I reply to him that "recorded on ps5" is not the same as "gameplay" since "recorded on ps5" includes things like in-engine demos. At that point I already have succesfully demonstrated my point. But I do elaborate further: after the conference (not during the conference), in the youtube uploads, 2 games had videos uploaded as actual gameplay, R&C and Godfall.

Do you understand now? The argument is about what Sony said at the conference: the other poster claims that they said "gameplay" and I explain how "recorded on ps5" does not mean gameplay since it includes things that are definitely not gameplay.
Wtf . U r being obtuse . My first point was correct then. U saw the gameplay yet u didn't hear sony say its gameplay even though its clearly 4 minutes of gameplay ?

Its 13:09

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Wtf . U r being obtuse . My first point was correct then. U saw the gameplay yet u didn't hear sony say its gameplay even though its clearly 4 minutes of gameplay ?

Its 13:09

I am starting to get the feeling that "u r being obtuse" means that you didn't fully understand the post.

The argument is not wether R&C was actual gameplay or not, the argument is about what Sony said during the event.

I am starting to get the feeling that "u r being obtuse" means that you didn't fully understand the post.

The argument is not wether R&C was actual gameplay or not, the argument is about what Sony said during the event.
I completely understood first time when I said u r being obtuse on purpose. Does it matter if the word gameplay is said when it is shown ? No. hence discussion about this is being obtus to the actual fact that there was gameplay for the game.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
I completely understood first time when I said u r being obtuse on purpose. Does it matter if the word gameplay is said when it is shown ? No. hence discussion about this is being obtus to the actual fact that there was gameplay for the game.

You say so, but you don't appear to be.

I'll repeat: we were not arguing whether actual R&C gameplay was shown, we were arguing whether Sony said "gameplay" in the event. Do you understand the difference between arguing about what Sony said and arguing about whether the R&C footage was gameplay?

I'll give you an example:

Let's say your friend Joe says that he has a car. Your other friend James says that Joe said he has a red car and you answer that Joe did not mention the color of his car. You are arguing about what Joe said, not about the color of Joe's car.

You say so, but you don't appear to be.

I'll repeat: we were not arguing whether actual R&C gameplay was shown, we were arguing whether Sony said "gameplay" in the event. Do you understand the difference between arguing about what Sony said and arguing about whether the R&C footage was gameplay?

I'll give you an example:

Let's say your friend Joe says that he has a car. Your other friend James says that Joe said he has a red car and you answer that Joe did not mention the color of his car. You are arguing about what Joe said, not about the color of Joe's car.
Lol I know u r arguing about semantics that are not important and missing the actual point . Which is acting obtuse in first place . Anyways I m done with this conversation

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Lol I know u r arguing about semantics that are not important and missing the actual point . Which is acting obtuse in first place . Anyways I m done with this conversation

The point the fellow poster raised was about what Sony said. Therefore, it's the actual point of the discussion.

I'll see you around.

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
Why aren't the games being shown then, at this point the disks should be ready for printing.

I mean, sure we have no actual proof that something is wrong with the console (MS designed a lot of pretty good consoles in the last 20 years or so)... But why can't they even show a new game? or let third party devs show their new games on the new machine, it's supposed to run better on it, third party publishers prefer showing the best version of their games--for obvious reasons.

Like, sure the specs are interesting, but it's at the very least fishy that a couple of weeks before the thing is in store we have not seen anything running on it (presumably the quick load demo of existing games, and some dashboard upgrades, all lame as hell). Would you buy a car if the sales person told you they promise it's the fastest, but refuse to let you test drive it, let alone show it to you? Show us the money!
“Seeing things run on it” is irrelevant, especially when we’re talking about trailers at a event. You can point to the message Sony put up on screen all you want, but they aren’t games running on retail hardware. They’re trailers. Even if the trailer has gameplay, it’s not running real time on a consoles.

This conspiracy theory is one of the dumber ones in video game history.

THEAP99

Banned
Just wait till Sony show more of Miles-Morales, They’ll probably get PS5 day one.
This sucks tbh. I mean there's literally no competition for launch. So Sony don't need to even try to release a ton of launch games. Spider-Man is it. Which already makes it the best ps launch. But yeah, they don't have to try for more launch titles because there's no reason to.

“Seeing things run on it” is irrelevant, especially when we’re talking about trailers at a event. You can point to the message Sony put up on screen all you want, but they aren’t games running on retail hardware. They’re trailers. Even if the trailer has gameplay, it’s not running real time on a consoles.
I wonder what you would say is Sony presented PC games running on PCs at their PS5 reveal....

More importantly, MS has a product coming out in a couple of weeks and they have zero content dedicated to it, it's like selling a blueray drive in a world where all the disks are on DVD, people need to trust that the actual HD (4K) content is coming... MS doesn't have the track record in providing outstanding content.

It matters, showing off the new product is all that matters when you are releasing it.

Sony stated that the content ran on PS5, if you choose to not believe it I don't know why you doubt it, nothing other than resentment and a desire to say "Sony too".
This conspiracy theory is one of the dumber ones in video game history.
This is not a "conspiracy" this is an observation of reality, neither you--nor anyone--has shown what makes it a conspiracy theory. I'd say that if there is a conspiracy theory to be had it would be when people just believe that games that show off the power of this new console, in one way or another, exist... I mean, why would they hide them? They want to sell this machine so that people get on the gamepass train.

MrFunSocks

Banned
I wonder what you would say is Sony presented PC games running on PCs at their PS5 reveal....

More importantly, MS has a product coming out in a couple of weeks and they have zero content dedicated to it, it's like selling a blueray drive in a world where all the disks are on DVD, people need to trust that the actual HD (4K) content is coming... MS doesn't have the track record in providing outstanding content.

It matters, showing off the new product is all that matters when you are releasing it.

Sony stated that the content ran on PS5, if you choose to not believe it I don't know why you doubt it, nothing other than resentment and a desire to say "Sony too".

This is not a "conspiracy" this is an observation of reality, neither you--nor anyone--has shown what makes it a conspiracy theory. I'd say that if there is a conspiracy theory to be had it would be when people just believe that games that show off the power of this new console, in one way or another, exist... I mean, why would they hide them? They want to sell this machine so that people get on the gamepass train.
I would not have cared 1 little bit because I know how game development works.

What's funny is that people here seem to genuinely believe that because sony put a "captured from ps5" text up on screen it means it's 100% gameplay running on a retail PS5.

The conspiracy theory here is that MS and the entire gaming industry are all out to hide some supposed massive faults and problems with the Series X hardware that prevents it from actually even running debug versions of games. It's absurd.

The conspiracy theory here is that MS and the entire gaming industry are all out to hide some supposed massive faults and problems with the Series X hardware that prevents it from actually even running debug versions of games. It's absurd.
It should be absurd, but they have not shown anything of substance. Even third parties are starting to show their games on PS5 (look at the new CoD title and that crazy food game). This is not exceptional to be shown games like this a couple of week before a new console is out, however this is pretty unusual for a company to hide their product's core feature so close to launch.

MrFunSocks

Banned
It should be absurd, but they have not shown anything of substance. Even third parties are starting to show their games on PS5 (look at the new CoD title and that crazy food game). This is not exceptional to be shown games like this a couple of week before a new console is out, however this is pretty unusual for a company to hide their product's core feature so close to launch.
You're assuming that they're hiding it though, that's not what is factually happening. MS literally don't have any launch first party games for it. Like zero. Their games are all 2 years away, so they probably aren't in a state to be shown.

We know why COD was shown for PS5 - Sony have the marketing rights for it, like they did this entire generation. Sony are very strict with their deals - remember Destiny? Remember Diablo 3? Blizzard literally weren't even allowed to acknowledge that the Xbox version existed other than on the announcement trailer! The game literally came out without a single screenshot or second of footage of the xbox version being shown.

Remember the rumours about Sony landing supposedly bucket loads of exclusive deals with publishers? Insiders saying that it's going to be crazy? Could this possibly be why we're not seeing any third party xbox showings? I think there's probably something there to be honest. Sony pay these companies for exclusive marketing rights and all of a sudden everyones shouting that Microsofts console is in trouble because they are "hiding" it from the public, when the reality is that Sony are paying to keep them from being able to show anything.

You're assuming that they're hiding it though, that's not what is factually happening. MS literally don't have any launch first party games for it. Like zero. Their games are all 2 years away, so they probably aren't in a state to be shown.
I said they are not showing anything.
Remember the rumours about Sony landing supposedly bucket loads of exclusive deals with publishers? Insiders saying that it's going to be crazy? Could this possibly be why we're not seeing any third party xbox showings? I think there's probably something there to be honest. Sony pay these companies for exclusive marketing rights and all of a sudden everyones shouting that Microsofts console is in trouble because they are "hiding" it from the public, when the reality is that Sony are paying to keep them from being able to show anything.
If MS did the same, buying exclusivity deals with all third party publishers on all their games (assuming there is truth behind this specific rumor... conspiracies and all don't seem to be your thing) Sony would still be able to show us something for their new console... MS isn't and this is also part of the problem.Anyway, when MS showed the indies, these should have been running on their new machine, Sony does not have deals with all of them as well.

firstofficialscreenshots_3184543b.jpg
Some of you guys are really going to be disappointed if you think this is what Horizon 2 gameplay will look like;
This definitely didn't age well

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom