• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

An extended version of DEATH STRANDING (w/ new story content) is in the works for PS4 and PS5

OnionSnake

Banned
Great animation, cool sci-fi world, great music, pretty graphics and sound, decent combat and fun travel. Its about exploring and hiking, such unique gameplay thats entirely gear based. Its a new type of challenge in gaming.

Its ton of fun to plan out going from one spot to another (or several) and decide what equipment is the best to use, how to carry and balance it all, what issues could arise, the risks, rewards, time, etc.

Its one of the only open world games that actually needed to be for the gameplay loop to work. Lots of fun stuff to build out and see along the way. Its an emotional and cool journey. Story was classic Kojima, good and bad.
I’m about 5 to 10 hours in and I enjoy all of this stuff but it’s the parts with the black goo men that I can’t stand. Takes what is a nice scenic hike at your own pace into this cruddy stealth horror game. Would love a mod that just automated those parts because otherwise I’m super into it

It all comes from several posts made nearly a year ago on the ResetEra forums by user KatharsisT, who has been vetted in regards to her information on Kojima Productions:
This is BS. Kojima said DS was coming out the year AKIRA movie was based on (2019), not before the 2020 Olympics.
Also Kojima had to personally go to a bank to borrow money to get the studio up and running so I don't understand how the budget got cut in half.

Last edited:

Kerotan

I hope so.

I've platinumed it so I'll but on sale for the new content and a new playthrough but I'll just focus on the campaign. Not side stuff.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Oh man yes. I love death stranding. If they will use dual sense, I will even get tried..I wonder if they will update pc too

Last edited:
Don't understand the hype tbh. I bought because Kojima than watched reviews lol terrible decision. The reviews just killed it for me, i can play about anything thats quality but everyone admits its an annoying walking simulator to cutscenes with basic MGS sneaking. Seemed like it was lacking depth, am I wrong?

Yoboman

Don't understand the hype tbh. I bought because Kojima than watched reviews lol terrible decision. The reviews just killed it for me, i can play about anything thats quality but everyone admits its an annoying walking simulator to cutscenes with basic MGS sneaking. Seemed like it was lacking depth, am I wrong?
You are wrong

Im not even a fan and calling it a walking simulator is a stupid complaint

SJRB

Gold Member
Gotta be honest, the game's main story already is exhausting. I don't think I ever wanted a game to just end as much as when I was playing Death Stranding. My god, the quasi-philosophical bullshit the game dumps on you is insane.

There's plenty of padding in the main quest that seemed like filler, so hopefully this is fixed but I have no idea how without indulging in more Kojima's nonsense.

Tschumi

I think that this is a really nice move by Sony, to allow Kojima to fully realize his vision I mean, because PlayStation management interfered with the game's development back in 2018 by dramatically cutting the budget (in comparison to the numbers Kojima and Andrew House agreed on back in 2015/16) and bringing the release date forward by a full year, among other things.

This also makes me feel confident about KojiPro's next game being Sony-funded as well!
Oh they did that? Jeez poor guy can't catch a break, someone stop second guessing this dude for pity's sake

longdi

Banned
It all comes from several posts made nearly a year ago on the ResetEra forums by user KatharsisT, who has been vetted in regards to her information on Kojima Productions:
Not surprised if true, sounds like new age of Jimbo fuckery. I'm just afraid sony will not work with kojipro again, hopefully ms sweep them up and I can game pass. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

longdi

Banned
I got this game on Pro but never fully understood the mechanics. Yeah you have to traverse different terrain but fuck me the game is confusing with that mechanics and the HUD as well.

I find some games confuse the shit out of me with overly complicated mechanics and in this case I had to youtube some stuff and I still had trouble following along.

Played past the first few missions and just stopped. Now the game is gathering digital dust.

I feel the complicated mechanics, or at least how it is presented, too much text and icon and stuff with the busy ui at mission briefing and inventory management.

It's probably pretty simple underneath all the clutter

I got the pc version, and the game seems more enjoyable than mgs5 so far.

SJRB

Gold Member
You know what, just give me a "No BT's/Mules" endless mode where all you do is traverse the landscape delivering packages and I'd definately rebuy the game for PS5.

LokusAbriss

This game needs coop. It would be much more fun to roam the landscape and deliver cargo together

Like beeing connected with a rope while climbing in the mountains to support each other. Beating a boss together and generally talk to someone while walking for 10 minutes.

Starhowl

I was ripped off once by Sony with the re-release of Persona 5 as Persona 5 Royal, which also could've been provided as DLC or an upgrade for existing owners of Persona 5. :mad:

If this turns out to be true, it only means that this isn't just an Atlus thing anymore, but a Sony in general which effectively means that they are completely off the table for me.(n)

kyliethicc

I was ripped off once by Sony with the re-release of Persona 5 as Persona 5 Royal, which also could've been provided as DLC or an upgrade for existing owners of Persona 5. :mad:

If this turns out to be true, it only means that this isn't just an Atlus thing anymore, but a Sony in general which effectively means that they are completely off the table for me.(n)
Sony have nothing to do with Persona games. They are entirely funded, published, and owner by Atlus.

Atlus does this every Persona game. Same re-release each time.

Persona 3
Persona 3 FES
Persona 4
Persona 4 Golden
Persona 5
Persona 5 Royal

Last edited:

Shubh_C63

I love this game.
That said, extra story content is going to be 15 min cutscene and if extremely lucky they will add another location for us to deliver packages to up the hill or something.

Everybody should experience this game once, but nobody in their right mind will ever buy it twice, even for free.

Starhowl

Sony have nothing to do with Persona games. They are entirely funded, published, and owner by Atlus.

Atlus does this every Persona game. Same re-release each time.

Persona 3
Persona 3 FES
Persona 4
Persona 4 Golden
Persona 5
Persona 5 Royal
I have to give you that in part it's my own stupidity, but I'm still not that stupid not to have noticed that at this point, if this is real, will have become a Sony thing and they want to bill me twice for the same thing. :rolleyes:

Also, in the case of Persona 3 and 4 least DLC wasn't a thing yet, since they were released on PS2, so against your argumentation, this is still a first-timer! (n)

Last edited:

kyliethicc

I have to give you that in part it's my own stupidity, but I'm still not that stupid not to have noticed that at this point, if this is real, will have become a Sony thing and they want to bill me twice for the same thing. :rolleyes:

Also, in the case of Persona 3 and 4 least DLC wasn't a thing yet, since they were released on PS2, so against your argumentation, this is still a first-timer! (n)
Persona 4 Golden was 2012.

Also, Sony have nothing to do with any of the Persona games, so you're either an idiot or a troll.

Starhowl

Persona 4 Golden was 2012.

Also, Sony have nothing to do with any of the Persona games, so you're either an idiot or a troll.
It's like saying: "Sony had nothing to do with Cyberpunk 2077 on PS4, so it's alright for them to have it one their stores in its current form.". :pie_thinking:

Also, you can't simply call everyone a troll that disagress with you, no need to become personal, it wasn't an attack on you. 😉

Last edited:

Certinty

I would be lying if I said I didn't enjoy it but I would also be lying if I said it's a game I would ever want to replay.

kyliethicc

It's like saying: "Sony had nothing to do with Cyberpunk 2077 on PS4, so it's alright for them to have it one their stores in its current form.". :pie_thinking:

Also, you can't simply call everyone a troll that disagress with you, no need to become personal, it wasn't an attack on you. 😉
Sony has just as much say in the decision to make Persona 5 Royal a separate paid release on PS4 as in the decision to make Mario Kart 8 Deluxe a separate paid release on Switch.

Aka none. Blame Atlus & Nintendo. Sony has no control over either.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
20% more walking and 25% more time in menus rearranging inventory. I get that some people love this game, but I don't understand why. It was a chore and I stopped somewhere in the 4th chapter because it felt like menial work. I could come up with more rewarding things for someone with no skills to do for me in my job.

It's a shame because I liked the setting and overall weirdness, but to me the gameplay was awful and made me question how this guy made MGS and whether MGS was any good as a game or just interesting because of the story and characters. I think the MGS boss fights were genuinely good, but am unsure about the rest of the games, in what I once considered one of my top franchises.

When you’ve been told 3 times Sony has nothing to do with a 3rd deciding to release a different version of the same game. You are an idiot and a clown.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
I think that this is a really nice move by Sony, to allow Kojima to fully realize his vision I mean, because PlayStation management interfered with the game's development back in 2018 by dramatically cutting the budget (in comparison to the numbers Kojima and Andrew House agreed on back in 2015/16) and bringing the release date forward by a full year, among other things.

This also makes me feel confident about KojiPro's next game being Sony-funded as well!
Is there anywhere I can read about this? I followed the game closely but never heard about the budget or development time being cut short
Surprising after the MGSV fiasco.

Edit: Nvm, thanks. Can't believe that happened again.

Last edited:

Blizzje

Platinum unlocked after 89 hours and thoroughly enjoyed the game, definitely in my top 5 all time. Would love to run it at 4k/60 on my ps5, not sure if I would go through with platinuming it again, because some of the tasks felt like busywork or were drawn out unneccesarily.

ethomaz

Banned
Very wrong.

It is neither a walking simulator or lack death.
The replay value is really good too... 150 hours of playtime is way more than I hoped in most games.

It was one of these games that I can’t delete from my PS4 because I keep playing for fun even after Platinum’ed.

Last edited:

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
"Want more game about this long ass movie? Well, fuck you. You're going to have more movie"

Top Bottom