• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amy Hennig's new Marvel game rumoured to star Captain America and Black Panther in WW2 Official reveal coming tomorrow.

H . R . 2

marvel-skydance-logo.jpg

Luckily, we should have first official details on the project very soon, with Disney having already confirmed it'll be giving viewers a "sneak peek" at
Hennig's Marvel project during its game-focused digital showcase, airing tomorrow, 9th September, at 9pm in the UK/1pm PT.

Alongside Hennig's game, Disney is promising "all-new announcements" during the showcase, .

Skydance New Media - which Hennig helped establish after joining Skydance in 2019 - is also working on a "richly-cinematic action-adventure game"
set in the Star Wars universe, but Disney has made no mention of that in relation to tomorrow's event.

Interestingly, if today's rumours turn out to be true, Hennig's project could be one of two Black-Panther-starring
video games currently in the works. Back in August, it was reported that EA is developing,
albeit in the "very early stages", a new single-player, open-world game based on the Black Panther series.

Source: Eurogamer.net

Last edited:
Why can't she work on a new IP instead of rotten franchises ?
I was going to disagree with you and point out the Sony games and GoTG, but then I saw that EA is potentially developing and that situation always ends up as a coin flip. So now I'm worried that her talents will be wasted.

cormack12

Gold Member
Source: https://www.eurogamer.net/amy-henni...star-captain-america-and-black-panther-in-ww2

Ahead of its official unveiling at tomorrow's Disney & Marvel Games Showcase, new rumours have emerged surrounding Skydance Media and Amy Hennig's upcoming Marvel title.

Marvel rumour collator MCU Status is now reporting that Hennig's game takes place during World War 2, and will see Captain America and Black Panther taking on the forces of Hydra. Eurogamer understands this to be correct.

Jennings

I'm burned out on the WW2 setting in video games, but a Black Panther & Capt America game could be good. I hope it's in the style of Shadow of Mordor, open world non-stop melee violence.

Last edited:

EDMIX

No, she does not. At least not so far.
The last game she wrote from start to finish was Uncharted 3.

Doesn't really matter. Folks will find a reason to attack her and call her "woke" and this is just the fucking setting and characters and this shit already started.

Good luck folks. If this can be called "woke" merely based on this limited amount of info, I don't think any developer is safe from this bullshit.

I'm hype for a reveal to see what it is, but people really need to stop forcing this argument anytime this shit is mentioned, at this point it seems anything is "woke".

R reksveks Agreed. I think they might need to just start banning like they did with politics as this is being forced on any fucking thread at this point even with the smallest amount of info.

Be like "Dan Houser's new IP set in Chicago....WOKE, its happening..WOOOOOOOKE" /s lol

Last edited:

kyussman

No, she does not. At least not so far.
The last game she wrote from start to finish was Uncharted 3.
Uncharted 3 was pre-woke mind virus though....she could well have been exposed in the years since,and she is working with Marvel.....this could easily go off the rails.Anyway,I can see some are already moaning about anyone mentioning culture wars stuff so I'll be a good comrade and shut up.

Bragr

Banned
Doesn't really matter. Folks will find a reason to attack her and call her "woke" and this is just the fucking setting and characters and this shit already started.

Good luck folks. If this can be called "woke" merely based on this limited amount of info, I don't think any developer is safe from this bullshit.

I'm hype for a reveal to see what it is, but people really need to stop forcing this argument anytime this shit is mentioned, at this point it seems anything is "woke".

R reksveks Agreed. I think they might need to just start banning like they did with politics as this is being forced on any fucking thread at this point even with the smallest amount of info.

Be like "Dan Houser's new IP set in Chicago....WOKE, its happening..WOOOOOOOKE" /s lol
You are not wrong, it's getting out of hand, it's the new "console wars".

Drew1440

Does Amy Hennig have the woke mind virus?......if so this should be an hilarious dumpster fire of social justice/racism messaging,with a video game tacked on.
She's from California, so its not a good sign.
Still, I'll give this a chance.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Oh boy! Another WW2 game... and, now with superheros. That's double crap.
So maybe they cancel eachother out ?For example I hate football(soccer) and most car games but I love rocket league, I even play their previous game " take a big breath" supersonic acrobatic rocket powered battle cars

EA is rumored to be developing a standalone Black Panther game too IIRC? I wonder if these two games are set within the same universe, like a game universe of the MCU.

What exactly would be "Woke" about this game?

If time travel is part of the game, it could be really cool. If there's no time travel and Captain America is somehow progressive and forward-thinking enough to work with his good buddy Black Panther in 1945 or even earlier, it will be a massive level of revisionist history. The civil rights movement didn't happen until the 50s and 60s, much as I wish it was earlier or that America didn't have the sad history of slavery and jim crow that necessitated it.

So I'm going to guess either there will be time travel, or race will be a large part of the game's story, or there will be weird revisionism throughout. Perhaps all three, but I'll wait to see for myself. I do think the first two could happen without ever crossing into "woke," though, as subjective as that word is.

You seem to defend every game from accusations of being "woke," taking an already subjective classification and insisting that it doesn't apply, as if your "no it's not" is any less subjective than their "yes it is." Perhaps I'm wrong, though. Can you name five games that you consider to be woke? I'd like to hear your selections. Do you have a personal definition for that word?

ToTTenTranz

Banned
Uncharted 3 was pre-woke mind virus though....she could well have been exposed in the years since,and she is working with Marvel.....this could easily go off the rails.Anyway,I can see some are already moaning about anyone mentioning culture wars stuff so I'll be a good comrade and shut up.

It could also be that all those Star Wars projects went sideways because she refused to do writing by committee and inclusion checklist, which is what's been ruining the quality of the writing in games and movies.

reksveks

I don't need any more Marvel or DC, neither cinema nor games, but good for those who are still hungry for superheroes.
Same but if I am getting Marvel games, Capt America and Black Panther feel kinda boring.

A bit of me wants some Image shows/movies and a bit of me doesn't

Pelta88

If time travel is part of the game, it could be really cool. If there's no time travel and Captain America is somehow progressive and forward-thinking enough to work with his good buddy Black Panther in 1945 or even earlier, it will be a massive level of revisionist history. The civil rights movement didn't happen until the 50s and 60s, much as I wish it was earlier or that America didn't have the sad history of slavery and jim crow that necessitated it.

So I'm going to guess either there will be time travel, or race will be a large part of the game's story, or there will be weird revisionism throughout. Perhaps all three, but I'll wait to see for myself. I do think the first two could happen without ever crossing into "woke," though, as subjective as that word is.

You seem to defend every game from accusations of being "woke," taking an already subjective classification and insisting that it doesn't apply, as if your "no it's not" is any less subjective than their "yes it is." Perhaps I'm wrong, though. Can you name five games that you consider to be woke? I'd like to hear your selections. Do you have a personal definition for that word?

What in the actual fuck?

"Captain America is somehow progressive and forward-thinking enough to work with his good buddy Black Panther in 1945 or even earlier, it will be a massive level of revisionist history. "

dis-belief-surprised.gif

It's at this point I realized that your here pushing a nonsensical race baiting agenda. If your nonsensical post was based on the IP, then you'd know the Captain A and Black Panther worked together during WW2 to take on Red.

No time machine needed.

Don't let hate cloud your thought process or spurn you into making the most void of facts argument I think I've read on this forum.

616qBGGXiIL.jpg

Last edited:

reksveks

Most media is generally revisionist, MW2019 revised a very recent war crime. Revising a single character's personality is less worrisome than an event. I do wonder whether most people realise how 'progressive' comics were.

What in the actual fuck?

"Captain America is somehow progressive and forward-thinking enough to work with his good buddy Black Panther in 1945 or even earlier, it will be a massive level of revisionist history. "

dis-belief-surprised.gif

It's at this point I realized that your here pushing a nonsensical agenda. If your nonsensical post was based on the IP, then you'd know the Captain A and Black Panther worked together during WW2 to take on Red.

No time machine needed.

Don't let hate cloud your thought process or spurn you into making the most void of facts argument I think I've read on this forum.
I'll be happy to admit that I don't know the IP. I just know WW2, and that there was a LOT more racism in society back then. But it is based on a comic book, which does mean fiction, and as I said I think you could still tell a story without time travel and without revisionist history, and it not be woke.

You focused on one sentence, and did so out of context of me answering the question how it COULD be woke. Sorry, but I don't like revisionist history that ignores historical racism, or pretends that people weren't as horribly segregated as they were.

Last edited:
Top Bottom