• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amnesia: Rebirth

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Game has a female lead? That's why it scores so high

Minor spoiler cuz it's a "game/story mechanic" but she's also
pregnant
so u can imagine why it scored some higher points. You can already guess what will happen based on that premise. Havent finished, but I'm pretty sure they pulled the most cliched bs in horror.

Last edited:

cucuchu

So without going into spoilers, can someone tell me if this game has any storyline connection with dark descent? I still want to burn through Justine and Machine for Pigs before I jump into this, but I heard they have nothing to do with the original game. I thought the story in Dark Descent was one of its strong points and hope to see it develop more.

e0n

So without going into spoilers, can someone tell me if this game has any storyline connection with dark descent? I still want to burn through Justine and Machine for Pigs before I jump into this, but I heard they have nothing to do with the original game. I thought the story in Dark Descent was one of its strong points and hope to see it develop more.
It's about a century after the first game. The original setting is referenced through letters, so it does add to it.

Last edited:

GrayChild

A bit less than two hours in. Will probably have more time to play during the weekend. So far, I'm... a bit torn. I love the premise, the atmosphere, the sound design and the overall art direction, but....

- Yes, Tasi is way too talk-active. Yes, I know some fucked up stuff's happening on screen. Yes, I know you're feeling nauseous. I'm also sorry about your loss. But can you please just shut the fuck up for about 5 minutes?!
- The secondary characters are cliched, boring, underdeveloped. I found some of them dead, others are still missing. I couldn't care less in any case, as the game fails to make you feel sympathy towards any of them.
- The navigation through dark areas is cumbersome and frustrating in ways The Dark Descent was not.
- The match mechanic is more realistic, but also more clunky compared to the tinderboxes in TDD.
- The constant (and unskippable) flashbacks in the beginning are a bit annoying.

Last edited:

Nixonomics

Has anyone has issues purchasing and playing through steam? I saw some reports of the game files not including the .exe on steam this morning.

Man was I hyped for this game.
So far, it doesn't get close to TDD, it's better than AMFP though. I am 3h in. The scary part starts like at the 2h30m mark imo.
I don't know yet, I don't hate it but I definitely don't love it. Right now it's a ok game, nothing more.
Not going to believe reviews anymore, lol. But obviously I am not even close to finished, so I hope it gets a lot better.
One point that annoys me, the torch/light, it depletes super fast even when full. Also you can only carry 10 matches.
(For trophy hunters, I saw a speedrun trophy, ffs)

Kenpachii

Saw some streamer play it to the end won't spoil anything. But it has a bit of myst with horror element fibes. However didn't really like much of it from what i saw. Seems like to get mixed reactions also.

Last edited:

Astral Dog

Finally got over my trauma with The Lighthouse and playing this, its quite lovely the desert setting is so good, though im not sure whats happening or how to navigate i assume the game guides you over random settings and setpieces that kinda gets annoying, too early and Tasi is in some strange Eldritch looking ruins randomly, that somehow makes it less scary this early on.

NOT sure if better than SOMA yet, i guess it depends if you like the main character and Amnesia lore im still too early but its fine, definetly recomend it

Edit: i mean these are very different types of horror narratives SOMA is lot of sci fi bullshit omicron this Beta that Robots don't feel dummy beep boop beep beep boop beep boop 🤖 while Amnesia is Gothic desert magical mumbo jumbo lots of MAGICK and ancient artifacts and magickal monsters how scary/enjoyable will vary on wich one you prefer

Last edited:

Astral Dog

Early OT are always filled with ignorance and fans. If its not a side project then it makes Rebirth even more disappointing. The Dark Descent was a phenomenon. Rebirth so far, is complete opposite. It's not "more personal" and it's hardly horrific. The protagonist talks so fucking much it becomes extremely annoying. It actually ruins the atmosphere, the tension. No one talks that much in tense situations, and she says/thinks the dumbest shit. It's a step down from SOMA and not just visually. It feels exactly like all the wannabe indie studios that you see once on a while pop up on Steam trying to make first person horror games and fail miserably because they think stealth sections and cheap scares is what makes a horror game good. This is not what I expected from the creators of one of the best horror games of all time. Maybe it gets better later in the game.
The setting is different obviously but visually it looks better than SOMA what are you talking about 🙄

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
The intro is super annoying, way too many memories interruptions and shit, it's not even to set things up and get you in the mood or explain systems or whatever so much, just fluff drilling the same points about the characters and the amnesia in.

The subtitle and menu presentation and giant controller buttons even though I'm using mkb make it look really cheap. The first game was definitely cheap itself but it was immersing and impressive coming from an indie developer more than this.

Opening cabinets isn't as intuitive as the first game, you have to move the cursor weird, the first game felt physical in the same way but shit just worked the way you expected them to every time for cabinets doors drawers and everything else too.

From what I've played so far, if you haven't played the first game, go and play that before anything else in the same vein, it still does it best (though it'd surely dilute the effect if you saw the games that followed first, it'd still work better than them).

Last edited:

GrayChild

Resident Evil 7 and REmake 2 managed to scare me more (at least in their first few hours) than Rebirth does for now.

2020 is the year in which the latest Resident Evil games are scarier than a friggin' Amnesia title.

Let that sink in.

Last edited:

Nixonomics

I'm enjoying playing it but so far it doesn't seem as frightening as The Dark Descent. There's so much narration in the first 2 hours it really hampers the momentum. There was a loading screen where I listened to a family sleep which had my eyes rolled so far back in my head it hurt. I've only played for around 2-3 hours and it felt like it was turning into the horror game i was expecting near the end - So I'm excited to get back into and see what awaits. Hoping this turns into something incredible and all the narrative groundwork they've been laying will pay off in an interesting way later on. Cautiously optimistic despite a slow start.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I never did get round to playing the original or Machine for Pigs, I may start here
The original is better, start there (as it will definitely lose some of the effect after experiencing something similar, even if lesser)! It's available for cheap on all the same platforms, no? Then move to this skipping the pigs.

Last edited:

SCB3

The original is better, start there (as it will definitely lose some of the effect after experiencing something similar, even if lesser)! It's available for cheap on all the same platforms, no? Then move to this skipping the pigs.

I do own both the original and sequel on Steam already from somewhere (probably a humble bundle or something) so I may go for the first one as I see it is highly regarded

Terenty

These guys refuse to evolve their formula it seems. The same gameplay, the same storytelling methods, the same engine that hasn't been upgraded from Soma.

She is running around finding conveniently placed matches to light up candles and other shit...how about taking the fucking candle or a torch with you? They expect me to take the game seriously after that?

And finding pages from someone's diary in the most unlikely places that tell you the backstory is downright cheap and lazy

Last edited:

Astral Dog

Resident Evil 7 and REmake 2 managed to scare me more (at least in their first few hours) than Rebirth does for now.

2020 is the year in which the latest Resident Evil games are scarier than a friggin' Amnesia title.

Let that sink in.
well RE7 is magnificent so there is honestly no shame in that.

But Rebirth gets points for its pretty awesome atmosphere, im in love with the setting creepy desert going from sunlight to caves, deserted fort to ruins and beyond, its grossly beautiful and decaying at the same time 🥺 RE7 (heck 2) had less variety

Last edited:

Bartski

Gold Member
Just beat the game.

Overall it was alright, but definitely a let down after looking forward to it as Frictional's next big move after the brilliant SOMA. It's not a bad game at all, just another Amnesia with all its tropes.

On the plus side, it greatly expands the lore, especially of Dark Descent, which kept me going looking past generally unpolished visuals and a story that could use some rewrites.

Seeing all 3 endings (which the game allows conveniently saving before the finale) I felt like I might have missed some important collectibles along the way as it left me with some key plot points largely unexplained.

Worst of all, realizing...
...you can't really die to monsters in the game, it's often easier just to get caught to progress a section... makes sense story-wise but totally kills any tension during those encounters. Avoiding darkness and fear seem to have no consequence other than a certain end game trophy, which altogether makes the gameplay fall apart by diminishing the sense of constant oppression which is make or break for such design... in result, throughout the second half I found the stroll rather relaxing...
...but thankfully still very interesting due to frequent visits to the other-world, some of which were the true highlights of the game.

Some ok puzzles, mixed with new renditions of Frictional's signature doing-nasty-shit-for-good-reasons situations, ok we've been there. I enjoyed it but only this much.

If you want more of Amnesia, here it is. If you were expecting the next thought-provoking journey like their last sci-fi masterpiece, you'll be left disappointed.

Last edited:

peronmls

4 hours in and it's nothing but jump-scare 2-d images that appear on your screen when you are in the dark too long.

The first person model is really unpolished. Her shadow she casts is really bad. Her arms are far out to her side, slummed forward and neck sticks out. Standing up striaght doesn't fix it. It really turned me off every time I saw it. Shadow Image

Soma was their last good game so far but I cannot return this one so I'll keep playing. Disappointed so far.

Last edited:

Nixonomics

I finished this over the weekend and enjoyed it overall. I don't think it can hold a candle to SOMA's story and I didn't find it as frightening as The Dark Descent - but it was a fun ride and I'd recommend it if you're a fan of Frictional Games. Some of the imagery was really impressive and I loved the settings involved in this one. I could have done without all the narrative interruptions as I felt like they hampered the flow of the game and didn't do much to help me connect to the character. Overall it wasn't quite what I expected, but I enjoyed my play through. I'll probably run through it again next Halloween and see what other endings there are.

angelic

Banned
Finished, well I really liked it. Tense as hell, amazing stuff in the 2nd half, dark as fuck what is going on in the alternate world...absolutely evil. So many amazing bits, in very loose unspoilery terms, the harvester maze, leon, the dark world vitae stuff, the connections to Professor Herbert and Daniel, the civilisations built on top of each other...fantastic. Was hoping for a 2nd playthrough with some of the untranslated documents readable, but apparantly that doesnt happen. Bugger.

Top Bottom