• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD's next generation gaming CPU Zen 4 to launch soon, before August 27.

Leonidas

Then the 7900 is perfectly adequate. As you yourself said below, you wont notice the difference in gaming.
Even that costs a lot more than the 13600K, and is a bit slower in gaming.

Either gaming performance matters or it doesn't.
Gaming performance definately does matter, but for me its only in certain games where it matters.

For example, I game at 120 Hz, so those 1080p bars in reviews that go to 300, 400, 800 FPS mean nothing to me.

But there are games which can't reach 120 FPS average, I tend to avoid those.

Imagine a game where I can only get around 60 FPS, a 7800X3D might only get 75 FPS average. An improvement sure, but I wouldn't care, because they are both well below my 120 target. I'd just wait a few generations for the game to reach my desired target...

13600K beats 7800X3D by nearly 30 seconds in this test. A massacre.

7800X3D is a lot slower in multicore, so yes, it should use a lot less power.

To get the 13600K down to 7800X3D's abysmal multi-core performance you'd have to downclock it by a lot, which then you could undervolt it by a lot, and then the power difference between the two would be minimal.
30 seconds doesn't constitute a 2.5x performance, which represents the relative power consumption.

But you knew that already. You're not here to make an objective observation as made rather obvious by your cherry picking.

Leonidas

30 seconds doesn't constitute a 2.5x performance, which represents the relative power consumption.

But you knew that already. You're not here to make an objective observation as made rather obvious by your cherry picking.
You're the one cherry picking showing 7800X3D lower power consumption in MT without showing the massive performance loss...

I'm simply not going to give up ~30% in MT. 8-Core MT performance is abysmal.

I've also never argued the 7800X3D efficiency, its an efficient CPU, but you bringing up anything about its MT is laughable, since the MT performance is so low, losing to $260 Intel CPUs. If I cared only about MT efficiency I'd have got something like 7900, which destroys even the 7800X3D in MT efficiency. Or I'd have bought 13900K/14900K and undervolted/underclocked it, since Raptor Lake is very efficient when voltages aren't very high.

Last edited:
You're the one cherry picking showing 7800X3D lower power consumption in MT without showing the massive performance loss...

I'm simply not going to give up ~30% in MT. 8-Core MT performance is abysmal.

I've also never argued the 7800X3D efficiency, its an efficient CPU, but you bringing up anything about its MT is laughable, since the MT performance is so low, losing to $260 Intel CPUs. If I cared only about MT efficiency I'd have got something like 7900, which destroys even the 7800X3D in MT efficiency. Or I'd have bought 13900K/14900K and undervolted/underclocked it, since Raptor Lake is very efficient when voltages aren't very high.
Sorry, but a 2.5x power consumption did not translate into a 2.5x MT performance no matter how much "No U" gaslighting or mental gymnastics you can muster.

Oh, and btw, MT has little to do with gaming. It's pretty funny that you have to pivot to a different thing just so you can salvage a copium 'win' for your precious corporation.

Leonidas

Sorry, but a 2.5x power consumption did not translate into a 2.5x MT performance no matter how much "No U" gaslighting or mental gymnastics you can muster.
I challenge anyone on this forum to post results of their 7800X3D in Cinebench 2024 or Blender along with power consumption figures (hwinfo64).

I garauntee you my 13600K is not using anywhere near 2.5x more power than the 7800X3D, and it is still beating it by 30%.

In fact, I could probably downclock my 13600K to reach the 7800X3D piddly 1050 score in this test and it would probably be well under 100 watts.

Last edited:
Cinebench scores matter now? My how times have changed. Just a few years ago folk would have been laughed out of the building for bringing those up with regards to Zen processors

Leonidas

Cinebench scores matter now? My how times have changed. Just a few years ago folk would have been laughed out of the building for bringing those up with regards to Zen processors
Doesn't matter, its just a program I have installed that shows MT performance where I know where the 7800X3D performs at.

It was @ The Mad Draklor The Mad Draklor that brought up MT power consumption (despite leaving out the fact that 7800X3D performs much worse in MT).

I might see if I can downclock my 13600K just to see how low it needs to be clocked to reach 7800X3D performance in that test, and it will probably be using similar amounts of power too, after downclocking/undervolting.

Last edited:
Welcome to a Leonidas thread :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Soldiers Falling GIF

Doesn't matter, its just a program I have installed that shows MT performance where I know where the 7800X3D performs at.

It was @ The Mad Draklor The Mad Draklor that brought up MT power consumption (despite leaving out the fact that 7800X3D performs much worse in MT).

I might see if I can downclock my 13600K just to see how low it needs to be clocked to reach 7800X3D performance in that test, and it will probably be using similar amounts of power too, after downclocking/undervolting.

So basically cherry picking & confirmation bias? Isn't that what fanboys do?

Leonidas

So basically cherry picking & confirmation bias? Isn't that what fanboys do?
Pick any MT test then, I don't care. It was The Mad Draklor The Mad Draklor who cherry picked, I'll even use his test where he says 13600K uses 2.5x more power.

His test does not show the realities of an updated BIOS on a 13600K. Under a new BIOS my CPU went from ~187 at launch down to ~145 today in a full load scenario (Cinebench R23), that's before undervolting where I can reduce power further, without losing performance.

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member

Jinzo Prime

Gold Member

" it is stated that the performance of the standard Zen 5 CPU should exceed that of the Zen 4 3D V-Cache chips in gaming"

"The AMD Ryzen 9000 Zen 5 Desktop CPUs are rumored to hit retail shelves by July."
Oh baby, 9900X let's go!

" it is stated that the performance of the standard Zen 5 CPU should exceed that of the Zen 4 3D V-Cache chips in gaming"

"The AMD Ryzen 9000 Zen 5 Desktop CPUs are rumored to hit retail shelves by July."
I'll believe it overall beats the x3d Zen 4 at gaming when I see it.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not

Unless these things are already coming with a pretty large cache......I have doubts.
Im sure AMD will cherry pick those few games where the cache doesnt add as much to show these are better than the X3Ds of yore but until the Zen5X3Ds..........

meryl-streep-doubt.gif

P.S
Unlikely to be leaving LGA1700 any time soon anyway......but lets see what Intel brings with LGA1851.
If the rumors of not having HyperThreading are true, I need to see how those thing perform when doing offline rendering, thats gonna push me one way or another.
Might just get a 14900 for a discount or move to AM5........the wait continues.

Black_Stride

Yeah I dont see these things beating the X3D chips outside of few cherrypicked titles that AMD will obviously use in their presentations......in fact I think AMD will just ignore that X3D chips even exist like they did last time they revealed none-X3D chips.
Hold on to your X3Ds and wait for the 9000X3Ds if you really really really want to upgrade so soon.

AMD-RYZEN-9000-LEAK-HERO2-1200x675.jpg

WyR9nXm.png

winjer

Gold Member

You can always leave it up to Gigabyte to leak stuff. An internal document from motherboard manufacturer GIGABYTE has reportedly unveiled key information about AMD's upcoming Ryzen 9000 "Granite Ridge" series processors, which utilize the new "Zen 5" microarchitecture. These processors are set to be fabricated on TSMC's 4 nm EUV technology, an advancement from the 5 nm process used for the Zen 4 chips. This development indicates AMD's continued reliance on TSMC’s cutting-edge fabrication technologies, including a possible adoption of the N4 node previously applied to AMD's "Phoenix" and "Hawk Point" mobile processors. The new Ryzen 9000 series, designed for Socket AM5 desktops, will maintain the dual CCD (Core Chiplet Die) configuration found in earlier models. Each CCD in these processors will contain up to 8 CPU cores, allowing for configurations that include 16-core, 12-core, 8-core, and 6-core options across various models under the Ryzen 9, Ryzen 7, and Ryzen 5 tiers.

According to the leaked information, AMD plans to introduce four initial models: the Ryzen 9 9950X, which is expected to offer 16 cores and 32 threads; the Ryzen 9 9900X with 12 cores and 24 threads; the Ryzen 7 9700X featuring 8 cores and 16 threads; and the Ryzen 5 9600 (non-X variant) with 6 cores and 12 threads. These models will exhibit a range of thermal design power (TDP) from 65 watts for the Ryzen 5 9600 to 170 watts for the higher-end Ryzen 9 models. Furthermore, the processors are likely to retain the client I/O die (cIOD) from the previous "Raphael" series, which is manufactured using TSMC’s 6 nm DUV process. This cIOD includes an integrated GPU based on the RDNA 2 architecture with 2 compute units, a dual-channel DDR5 memory controller, and a 28-lane PCIe Gen 5 root complex, along with additional SoC connectivity features. Notably, AMD is rumored to increase support for higher native DDR5 memory speeds beyond the DDR5-5200 JEDEC standard and the DDR5-6000 "sweetspot" previously identified with the "Raphael" processors.

go5_u5asaa3acc.webp

Shtef

Gold Member
I am planning to upgrade my whole system. At the moment i have ryzen 5600x on b450 motherboard. Should i buy new board now or wait until new ones come out for ryzen 9000 series?

Black_Stride

I am planning to upgrade my whole system. At the moment i have ryzen 5600x on b450 motherboard. Should i buy new board now or wait until new ones come out for ryzen 9000 series?

You can wait like a month man.
The new ones wont have anything you need.
Waiting for the new ones might lead to the old ones going down in price so you can save a buck.

AMD-RYZEN-9000-RELEASE-DATE-1-1200x624.jpg

Draugoth

Gold Member
Yeah I dont see these things beating the X3D chips outside of few cherrypicked titles that AMD will obviously use in their presentations......in fact I think AMD will just ignore that X3D chips even exist like they did last time they revealed none-X3D chips.
Hold on to your X3Ds and wait for the 9000X3Ds if you really really really want to upgrade so soon.

WyR9nXm.png

What are the Motherboards that will support this generation ? Im interested in upgrading

winjer

Gold Member
What are the Motherboards that will support this generation ? Im interested in upgrading

There will be a new chipset, the 800 series.
Though previous AM5 chipsets will still be compatible.
There still isn't much info about them. But Gigabyte leaked some.

8QTRmPk.jpeg

Black_Stride

AM5 motherboards.
The socket isnt changing this generation and the CPU doesnt have any new advancements to lock out motherboards.

MikeM

7600x has been plenty for me. Going to hold out until the 9800x3d and even then may skip this and wait for the next batch of CPUs.

Kenpachii

Remember the 3000 ryzen vs 9000 intel generation. wild ride to have amd now sit on the 9000 naming.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

Curious how after a few years, something like the 3600 ended up being the best choice, over the 9600.

All 9000 series cpu's where kinda shit, the only good one was the 9900k but u had to pay for it. the weird hyperthreading situation on the other cores didn't age well. I had a 9900k lovely cpu and only recently upgraded it.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
All 9000 series cpu's where kinda shit, the only good one was the 9900k but u had to pay for it. the weird hyperthreading situation on the other cores didn't age well. I had a 9900k lovely cpu and only recently upgraded it.

From the 6000 to the 10000 series, they all used the same architecture. Just different clocks and core count.
11 series was a step back. And it was only with 12th series that we got something really new and exiting.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
What's the difference in games?
Maybe we will find out
What makes it a "gaming CPU" rather than just a desktop/laptop CPU?
It's more marketing than real difference, but also they're not lying

You can buy a huge chunk of RAM, best SSD, best GPU, but if you get everything with the recent Athlon, it will work just fine. You can also game a lot. On the best settings? Nope

If you put a Ryzen on it, it will make the difference

It's not a case of RGB, which also is a "gaming" thing. But a nice keyboard and mouse also makes a difference in gaming

Kadve

Gold Member

Dont know if wccftech is better now than 10 years ago. But they were infamous back in the day for reporting rumors no matter how small and uncredible as "news" so not sure i would trust them.

Last edited:

SHA

Maybe we will find out

It's more marketing than real difference, but also they're not lying

You can buy a huge chunk of RAM, best SSD, best GPU, but if you get everything with the recent Athlon, it will work just fine. You can also game a lot. On the best settings? Nope

If you put a Ryzen on it, it will make the difference

It's not a case of RGB, which also is a "gaming" thing. But a nice keyboard and mouse also makes a difference in gaming
The logical solution for going with a huge ram and storage is literally amd thread ripper, apple mac, Intel zeon.

Athlon has nothing to do with that build, if it's expensive then make a reason for it so you don't waste your money on nothing other than showing muscled rig.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

WyR9nXm.png

The conversation is this will be the "best" gaming chip until intel launch their cpus then the 9000x3d chips launching early 2025...probably around ces will take the crown.

Last edited:
Top Bottom