• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD's new Ryzen 3000 XT chips (Matisse Refresh) official: same price, slightly faster, and coming July 7

The Ryzen 9 3900XT, Ryzen 7 3800XT, and Ryzen 5 3600XT are now official.

HjiBsSd7MqNtHbPs5hQv2Y-650-80.jpg.webp

The AMD Ryzen 9 3900XT, Ryzen 7 3800XT, and Ryzen 5 3600XT will be available to purchase starting July 7. These processors, the so-called Matisse Refresh, come bearing faster clock speeds than their existing counterparts for the same price.

Here are the three new AMD Ryzen XT processors announced today:

84cZC8d.png

AMD touts up to 4% increase in single-threaded performance over the first batch of Ryzen 3000 processors, although that's going to really vary by workload—100MHz isn't really going to get you very far for the most part.

Still, the processors are the same price as those that came before, at least at MSRP. Although with a relatively small-fry change in clock speed, we wouldn't let the lack of the 'T' suffix stop you from hitting checkout on a solid 3900X, 3800X, or 3600X deal.

All three processors are set to launch on July 7, 2020. That's exactly one year on from the release of the initial Ryzen 3000 processors, which introduced the chiplet-based Zen 2 architecture into our gaming PCs. We've not looked back since.

The original X lineup is getting price drops, accordingly

Thanks PhoenixTank PhoenixTank

the older parts are getting price drops.

Last edited:

PhoenixTank

Guess that Amazon leak was legit!
underwhelming, they should lower the price by 10$-15$
The older parts are getting price drops.
Yeah and they are probably delaying Zen 3 to milk these too. Not cool.
More of a stopgap if it comes to that. I don't have any reason to believe AMD would want to delay Zen 3 themselves but current external factors may force it.

V2Tommy

Looking forward to seeing what it does for gaming benchmarks. Single-thread performance should be way better.

Banned
LOL, AMD is pulling an Intel.

no they are not, if they pulling an intel move then you will see overpriced amd cpu anywhere but that's not the case

also the delay part is just a rumor

why is it so hard to understand that this was a stopgap to zen 3

SantaC

Zen 3 is probably taking a beat seat to big navi, which makes sense.

AMD has highend cpus on the market already, but lack a graphic card.

Wunray

Truth be told I can't even get a hold of a reasonably priced x570 or x470 board so I can't even worry about these processors.

GHG

Gold Member
source.gif

Comfortable with my recent 3900x purchase. My only regret is that I think I should have actually stepped up to the 3950x.

That's pretty shit. I don't even get why this is being released.

Opportunity for a new marketing push to go with the new B550 motherboards.

Truth be told I can't even get a hold of a reasonably priced x570 or x470 board so I can't even worry about these processors.

Same situation here. I have everything for my new build now but the motherboard. I can't find an x570 in stock anywhere. Anywhere that has told me they have them in stock lied to me, its a bit of a joke TBH.

It's had me tempted to sell the 3900x unopened and just buy a 10700k with a Z490 (both are readily available where I live)... I want to play with my new toys :messenger_downcast_sweat:

Last edited:

Leonidas

Abysmal value. 3000 series has been dropping in price, this just raises the price back up to launch pricing and it sounds like they took away the stock cooler from the 3800/3900 XT.

Last edited:

Armorian

Banned
Buying the cheaper vanilla X CPUs is much better value than these.

Non X (for 3600 at least), latest batches are overclocking nice and there is no point in X or XT versions.

I had a bad experience upgrading to x570 too, the blame is squarely on AMD in my case. My experience was so bad I ended up selling the x570 board the same day I bought it. Glad you're enjoying yours :goog_smile_face_eyes:

What problems you experienced? I have none on my 570.

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Yeah and they are probably delaying Zen 3 to milk these too. Not cool.
They are now basically doing what Intel have been doing.

But who cares right? Intel bad AMD good!!

AMD better not get too cocky....if the new 4000 cpus aren't coming until next year then Intel could take over them. Intel still have the best gaming cpus but they will also be moving to DDR5 and PCIE 5.0.

AMD better not get too cocky....if the new 4000 cpus aren't coming until next year then Intel could take over them. Intel still have the best gaming cpus but they will also be moving to DDR5 and PCIE 5.0.

They are absolutely going to get cocky. But they kind of have to because they just don't have the revenue to stay competitive as long as Intel is still in the game (which might not be for long, who knows). I expect AMD to exploit consumers for sales to fill their coffers, it only makes sense.

Armorian

Banned

Not before 2022 probably, same with Zen 4 and AM5. Rocket Lake so far shows same perfromance (or lower) with 14nm+++++ (+) and this will be their first (only?) PCIE4 part.

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
I had a bad experience upgrading to x570 too, the blame is squarely on AMD in my case. My experience was so bad I ended up selling the x570 board the same day I bought it. Glad you're enjoying yours :goog_smile_face_eyes:

Same. Got a 3700X + X570 last year and had nothing but bother with it. Kept crashing and I spent weeks troubleshooting it. I tried everything but just wouldnt work. I have no idea what was causing it. I know it works for others but it has kinda made me hesitant about giving them another shot. I ended up just sending it back and going back to Intel.

source.gif

Comfortable with my recent 3900x purchase. My only regret is that I think I should have actually stepped up to the 3950x.

Opportunity for a new marketing push to go with the new B550 motherboards.

Same situation here. I have everything for my new build now but the motherboard. I can't find an x570 in stock anywhere. Anywhere that has told me they have them in stock lied to me, its a bit of a joke TBH.

It's had me tempted to sell the 3900x unopened and just buy a 10700k with a Z490 (both are readily available where I live)... I want to play with my new toys :messenger_downcast_sweat:

My only regret (timing wise) is missing out on this HZD PC version packaged deal that apparently is popping up. I figured I wouldn't be missing much with the refreshes so let my antsy-ness get to me with the CPU purchase last week

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
They are absolutely going to get cocky. But they kind of have to because they just don't have the revenue to stay competitive as long as Intel is still in the game (which might not be for long, who knows). I expect AMD to exploit consumers for sales to fill their coffers, it only makes sense.
True. Need to milk it while they can. If Intel really steps up and gets their shit together they could easily destroy AMD. Intel did nothing for years because AMD couldn't compete. Ryzen has only been around a few years and Intel got caught with their pants down.

They couldnt immediately respond because it takes years to develop CPU technology. This kind of stuff takes 4-6 years. Again look how long it took AMD to come out with Ryzen. Intel's true reaction to Ryzen will be seen around 2021-2022 and AMD needs to be ready for it.

True. Need to milk it while they can. If Intel really steps up and gets their shit together they could easily destroy AMD. Intel did nothing for years because AMD couldn't compete. Ryzen has only been around a few years and Intel got caught with their pants down.

They couldnt immediately respond because it takes years to develop CPU technology. This kind of stuff takes 4-6 years. Again look how long it took AMD to come out with Ryzen. Intel's true reaction to Ryzen will be seen around 2021-2022 and AMD needs to be ready for it.

AMD's partnership with TSMC is really what gives them an advantage. Intel is trying to catch up, no doubt, but they are still on their own fabs and we know that their 10nm process has been riddled with problems. By the time they release 10nm desktop gaming chips AMD/TSMC could be on 5nm.

I still think Intel will have the lead in gaming though. Look at their Tiger Lake mobile chip that's going to be in their latest NUCs. You can have a mid to top range gaming rig in a box the size of a Roku.

GHG

Gold Member
My only regret (timing wise) is missing out on this HZD PC version packaged deal that apparently is popping up. I figured I wouldn't be missing much with the refreshes so let my antsy-ness get to me with the CPU purchase last week

Oh shit are they packaging HZD keys with new AMD CPU's now?

It's good news either way because those keys will flood the market so they should be available for cheap as a result.

Also bodes well for performance on AMD hardware in that game.

Oh shit are they packaging HZD keys with new AMD CPU's now?

It's good news either way because those keys will flood the market so they should be available for cheap as a result.

Also bodes well for performance on AMD hardware in that game.

yeah I saw it pop up like the day after I ordered my 3700X

Reactions: GHG

GHG

Gold Member
Reviews are starting to roll in:

Looks like they are not worth the premium at the moment.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
doesn't seem worth it.

3700X - £298.99 - 3.6/4.4
3800X - £339.99 - 3.9/4.5
3800XT - £399.99 - 3.9/4.7

all the XT has done is make it a no brainer to get the 3800X instead of the 3700X unless you're on a tight budget. you're paying an extra £41 for a 0.3GHz base boost + 0.1GHz turbo for the 3800X vs the 3700X. then you're paying an extra £60 for a 0.2GHz Turbo boost on the 3800XT. if i remember correctly the 3700X was originally £320 so that's only a £21 drop since launch. the 3800X has dropped £40.

why would you spend £399 on a 3800XT when, for another £40, you could get a 3900X which of course has 4 more cores but is just 0.1GHz slower on both base + turbo clocks. the 3900XT is £60 more and only offers a mere 0.1GHz Turbo boost over the 3900X.

imo, the only Ryzen 3000 cpus worth buying now are the 3800X + 3900X + 3950X. the XT chips are not good value. they have only made existing CPUs more attractive.

Last edited:

Xyphie

You can probably get most of the 3700X -> 3800X difference by just using 105W TDP power values on a 3700X, especially with newer silicon, so getting a 3800X over a 3700X is probably also a waste if you're willing to change 3 settings in BIOS.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
He's wrong, no improvement in gaming performance:

Obviously, it was like an ironic question. Anyway he probably hopped of console wars, when there is pretending that 100mhz here and there does any difference....

But I as owner of 3900x, feeling calm on my chest : D

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful

GHG

Gold Member
imo, the only Ryzen 3000 cpus worth buying now are the 3800X + 3900X + 3950X. the XT chips are not good value. they have only made existing CPUs more attractive.

I think that was their intention with all of this. The main purpose is to keep their CPU's in the headlines.

Top Bottom