• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD's Big Navi and Xbox Series X GPU 'Arden' Source Code Stolen and Leaked

llien

AMD posted a press release to its website today announcing that it had found stolen graphics IP posted online, followed quickly by news from Torrentfreak that the information pertains to source code for Big Navi and Arden GPUs. Torrentfreak claims to have contacted the hacker responsible, who claims the information is worth $100 million and is seeking bidders.

AMD has filed 'at least two DCMA notices' against Github repos that contained the stolen source code for the company's Navi 10, Navi 21, and Arden GPUs. The latter is arguably the most interesting as it powers Microsoft's forthcoming Xbox Series X consoles, while Navi 21 is thought to be the design for the RDNA 2 'Big Navi' GPUs.

Github has since removed the repositories, but there are other sources, including via a post on 4chan, hosting the leaked information. Torrentfreak purportedly contacted the hacker and she projects the information is worth $100 million. If she doesn't get a buyer, she says she will just "leak everything." The hacker claims she found the unencrypted information in a computer/server hacked via exploits.

AMD says the leaked information is not core to its competitiveness and is taking legal actions to remedy the situation, including working with law enforcement officials.

Tomsharware

According to AMD, what has been released so far are "test files" for existing and some upcoming products, whatever that means.

Last edited:

Ellery

Oh damn I wish I knew the juicy details aber RDNA2 Big navi GPus. Very excited for them

Last edited:

McHuj

Github has since removed the repositories, but there are other sources, including via a post on 4chan, hosting the leaked information. Torrentfreak purportedly contacted the hacker and she projects the information is worth $100 million. If she doesn't get a buyer, she says she will just "leak everything." The hacker claims she found the unencrypted information in a computer/server hacked via exploits.

Hate to break it to the hacker, but this is worthless. No one will buy it cause no one can use it as they will get sued to oblivion.

Good luck AMD. This is who you're messing with.

tenor.gif

Last edited:
Hate to break it to the hacker, but this is worthless. No one will buy it cause no one can use it as they will get sued to oblivion.

Wrong. The information itself is valuable because now you get a look inside the actual chip. Nobody would be dumb enough to try to use it blatantly, but you don’t think someone like Nvidia wouldn’t love to get their hands on AMD’s info?

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Wrong. The information itself is valuable because now you get a look inside the actual chip. Nobody would be dumb enough to try to use it blatantly, but you don’t think someone like Nvidia wouldn’t love to get their hands on AMD’s info?
More likely intel, I would say.

I knew Cerny would do this, but I didn't think this soon. He had that look in his eyes, I told his mom but she told me to shut up. Wouldn't believe me.

Well, look what happened Mr.Cerny's mom! LOOK WHAT HE'S DONE!!!

Just big Navi and Arden? No Oberon?

Why would he need to steal his own work? 🧠 :pie_thinking:

He's lucky Spencer can't get a restock on his Doritos at the moment. I bet he'd be more alert if he had them.

Last edited:
Of course there would be interest from competitors (Nvidia, Intel) specially AMD would be in the front line to regain the documents.
I knew Cerny would do this, but I didn't think this soon. He had that look in his eyes, I told his mom but she told me to shut up. Wouldn't believe me.

Well, look what happened Mr.Cerny's mom! LOOK WHAT HE'S DONE!!!

Why would he need to steal his own work? 🧠 :pie_thinking:

He's lucky Spencer can't get a restock on his Doritos at the moment. I bet he'd be more alert if he had them.
Wroooog, the hacker is a playstation fan, he got mad Cerny let him down so he/she trying to sabotage AMD & MS, obviously :messenger_winking:.

sdrawkcab

Banned
Damn! I sure wish I had 100 mill'.

The last thing I'd do is buy some AMD leaks!

Intel and Nvidia are bidding for it, as we speak.

Sushen

Unless the info is super critical, which won't be easy to prove, big companies won't take risks of potential liability. Simple curiosity isn't enough.

ethomaz

Banned
PS5 not included in the Big Navi hack, RDNA 1.0/2.0 hybrid confirmed!

mjpls.png
The source has Navi 10 too.

BTW it is not the that there is no PS5 in thr source it just the hacker didn’t upload everything to GitHub... he just make a teaser.

Last edited:

BeardGawd

Banned
Wow literally years of work and probably hundreds of millions in R&D stolen with this. If this had happened to Nvidia or Intel I wouldn't much care but AMD is still struggling to compete and this won't help at all.

mitchman

Gold Member
Intel and NVidia would never touch that stuff. They wouldn't dare to risk a massive lawsuit and criminal investigations into industrial espionage.

Moses85

AMD posted a press release to its website today announcing that it had found stolen graphics IP posted online, followed quickly by news from Torrentfreak that the information pertains to source code for Big Navi and Arden GPUs. Torrentfreak claims to have contacted the hacker responsible, who claims the information is worth $100 million and is seeking bidders.

AMD has filed 'at least two DCMA notices' against Github repos that contained the stolen source code for the company's Navi 10, Navi 21, and Arden GPUs. The latter is arguably the most interesting as it powers Microsoft's forthcoming Xbox Series X consoles, while Navi 21 is thought to be the design for the RDNA 2 'Big Navi' GPUs.

AMD says the leaked information is not core to its competitiveness and is taking legal actions to remedy the situation, including working with law enforcement officials.

Tomsharware

According to AMD, what has been released so far are "test files" for existing and some upcoming products, whatever that means.

My bet, it was Sony 😂

sendit

The source has Navi 10 too.

BTW it is not the that there is no PS5 in thr source it just the hacker didn’t upload everything to GitHub... he just make a teaser.

I hope the quote "hacker" knows github is owned by Microsoft. :messenger_astonished:

Either way, this is some good PR for Xbox.

Last edited:

llien

I'd like to hear an explanation of why this matters.
For starters, it confirms existence of "Big Navi", besides the MS SeX 52CU chip.

She? G.I.R.L. on the internet = Guy In Real Life.
I suspect it's like Scarlett from SC2 world, a transgender she.

PS
Coming from a biased disgruntled farther who was told his daughter doesn't want to take IT as an optional subject at school minutes ago.

Last edited:

semicool

Banned
Maybe Sony can copy the leaked tech and catch up and in 2 years from now release a PS5 pro thats almost as powerful as the XSX?

Last edited:
Top Bottom