• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD talks next-gen products: RDNA3 to be as big leap as RDNA 2. Zen 4 has many new features

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
So what sort of areas can AMD improve their GPUs for RDNA 3 to match what they are saying.
There would be improvement in performance per watt no doubt by a node shrink, but what about performance outright?
An increase in frequency I would assume, and improvements to RT and ML similar to the set up Nvidia use for RTX cards.

DonMigs85

Wonder what those extra CPU features are. The return of 3DNow! perhaps? Or some other AMD-specific instruction set?

McHuj

I think 7x00 vs 40x0 series is going to be awesome. I really expect both companies to go all out for performance ( not that the current are bad).

kikkis

Gonna build my first pc since 2006 in 2022 with zen 4 and this or nvidia. I used to buy laptop and console, but i think this will give me another benefits like faster compiling etc. And not really be that much more expensive, maybe even cheaper. And no i am not currently in a rush to buy.

rnlval

So what sort of areas can AMD improve their GPUs for RDNA 3 to match what they are saying.
There would be improvement in performance per watt no doubt by a node shrink, but what about performance outright?
An increase in frequency I would assume, and improvements to RT and ML similar to the set up Nvidia use for RTX cards.
Larger Infinite Cache with improve hit rates, 112 CU scale with quad SE which is 2X scale from XSX GPU's 56 CU with dual SE.

RX 6900 XT's 80 CU with quad SE was 2X scaled NAVI 10/PS5's 40 CU with dual SE.

112 CU is 40% increase over 80 CU.

Larger Infinite Cache with improve hit rates, 112 CU scale with quad SE which is 2X scale from XSX GPU's 56 CU with dual SE.

RX 6900 XT's 80 CU with quad SE was 2X scaled NAVI 10/PS5's 40 CU with dual SE.

112 CU is 40% increase over 80 CU.
Do we know if RDNA gas a CU limit?

supernova8

Banned
RDNA3 is promised to deliver as big leap as RDNA 2, and Zen 4 is confirmed to be even better then 19% IPC improvment. This because of the node shrink to 5nm and many new features that didnt make it into Zen 3.

(Question by interviewer) Does (sic) AMD, which lightly refreshed its Ryzen 3000 desktop CPU line in July ahead of its Ryzen 5000 launches, generally plans to carry out similar refreshes in the future.

Bergman: “Yeah, absolutely....Part of it is, we always want to keep raising the bar. The 5000 had the luxury of having a new Zen core and there's a 19% IPC lift. You'd like to do that every year, but that only comes around every so often. I mean it was the biggest IPC lift we had in the Zen era for AMD.”

It looks like he's categorically saying there won't be a 19%+ improvement on the CPU side.

Whether AMD is aiming for its RDNA 3 GPUs, which will use a more advanced manufacturing process, to deliver performance-per-watt improvements similar to the 50%-plus improvements delivered by its RDNA 2 GPUs, and its future plans for the Infinity Cache technology used by RDNA 2 GPUs.
Bergman: “Let's step back and talk about the benefits of both. So why did we target, pretty aggressively, performance per watt [improvements for] our RDNA 2 [GPUs]. And then yes, we have the same commitment on RDNA 3.

Seems to suggest they are committing to targeting performance per watt aggressively, but necessarily say the leap will be the same. Although the slides from AMD's recent presentation suggests they believe it will.

Last edited:

DonMigs85

It looks like he's categorically saying there won't be a 19%+ improvement on the CPU side.

Seems to suggest they are committing to targeting performance per watt aggressively, but necessarily say the leap will be the same. Although the slides from AMD's recent presentation suggests they believe it will.
Very impressive considering the IPC lift from Haswell to Skylake was only like 6%. And that already had Broadwell in between. Intel sure got complacent. Even the current Willow Cove core is roughly at or slightly below the IPC of Zen 3.

Top Bottom