• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD says the new XBOX uses the same RDNA2 architecture that powers the upcoming Radeon RX 6000 series GPUs

Status
Not open for further replies.

from the article:

The much-anticipated Xbox Series X will be available starting November 10, with pre-orders beginning September 22. The Xbox Series X will enable 4K gaming at up to 120 fps for truly immersive experiences, powered by the 8 core, 16 thread AMD “Zen 2” CPU optimized for gaming. Coupled with the brand new RDNA 2 GPU architecture, which also powers our upcoming Radeon RX 6000 series graphics cards, we are providing game-changing performance behind the most powerful Xbox ever created. We have focused on ensuring games don’t just look better but play better as well, driven by key, new hardware-accelerated features such as seamless content paging from the SSD to the GPU based on the revolutionary Xbox Velocity Architecture and DirectX 12 Ultimate Raytracing, Variable Rate Shading and mesh shaders.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Well, the XSX's implementation of RDNA2 is closer - if not identical - to what will be the desktop cards' implementation, since the XSX's GPU is not as customized as that of the PS5 and will use the same APIs and software technology as the desktop cards (e.g. DX12 Ultimate).

Tripolygon

Banned
When there is a bunch of you that continuously run the "microsoft removed the rdna2 talk from xbox info" FUD in that thread,
its reasonable to put the record straight
Everybody knows Xbox Series S/X is RDNA 2 based. The fact that you can't take a joke is very telling though.

For someone who wants to put the record straight you keep spreading FUD that PS5 is not RDNA 2.
Let's see AMD say that "PS5 uses the same RDNA2 that powers the 6000 series", then we can discuss your "point" and who missed it.
You are so freaking transparent.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
When there is a bunch of you that continuously run the "microsoft removed the rdna2 talk from xbox info" FUD in that thread,
its reasonable to put the record straight

You made thread because you thought they were spreading FUD.

They were joking because people did this with the PlayStation 5 to prove PlayStation 5 wasn't RDNA 2.

See what happens when this logic is used against the Xbox Series X?

Everybody knows Xbox Series S/X is RDNA 2 based. The fact that you can't take a joke is very telling though.

For someone who wants to put the record straight you keep spreading FUD that PS5 is not RDNA 2.

You are so freaking transparent.

Your definition of the continuous non-stop FUD about xbox is "joke"?
Interesting. At the very least you should know what you are doing.

Since I usually write to answer to a bunch of guys that daily practice what is described above, total misinformation and straight-up lies,
let's see that playstation5 contains the full feature set that defines rdna2, and then we can discuss "my" "fud"
one simple example is h/w assisted ML

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
RDNA 1.5 x (Cerny + SSD) = RDNA3.
giphy.gif

WideeyedOblongAustraliankelpie-size_restricted.gif

giphy.gif

GcgTJ5.gif

Well, after reflection I think you right !

Since I usually write to answer to a bunch of guys that daily practice what is described above, total misinformation and straight-up lies,
let's see that playstation5 contains the full feature set that defines rdna2, and then we can discuss "my" "fud"
Maybe Sony pulled it cause it served no purpose to them. Microsoft may have pulled out things as well. Both are custom. Who cares what defines RDNA 2 exactly.

Leonidas

It's too bad the consoles are using Zen2 for CPU though, with Zen3 announced for PC next month.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Some pretty funny posts.

But imagine the scandal if the gpu actually has less Rdna features on the ps5 vs the xbox one X. I mean its unlikely, but there is some people on this board that would literally lose thier minds if they were faced with a reality that included the series x being more powerfull.

They would say stuff like "at least we have games" and "but it loads 1 second faster" but deep inside it would eat away at them until they bought a pc and said console gaming sucks.

Last edited:

Tripolygon

Banned

200.gif

You seem to not know what a joke is. I highlighted it for you. it is mocking the same reasoning used by idiots to claim that PS5 is not RDNA 2.

ti1wZ9G.jpg

The fundamental basic RDNA architecture and this is from RDNA 1 whitepaper is support for packed FP16, INT8 and INT4. This comes at the cost of higher precision operation as it uses the same hardware for all. This is different from Nvidia which has dedicated hardware for each. Similar in vain to how in RDNA 2 raytracing comes at the cost of TMU while in Nvidia they are "separate" hardware not tied to TMU.

43oSKvb.jpg

Machine learning inference can be done using FP16/INT16, INT8, INT4. The greater throughput comes in the form of packing 2 half precision operation, 4 int8 or 8 int4. You lose precision the lower you go but the end result is still the same.

This what makes RDNA 2

AMD-Radeon-Roadmap-2020_4-2060x1159.png

Navi2X_Master_678x452.png

And some basic core optimization

Navi2x_PPW.png

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Help me understand the point that is discussed 24X7 on that "ps5-xbox analysis" thread.
is it depicted somewhere in the pic below?

You said people were spreading FUD when they were not.

They were being sarcastic by saying Xbox Series X is not RDNA 2.

For months, Xbox fans on twitter have been spreading FUD that the PlayStation 5 is not RNDA 2. The PlayStation fans in the other thread were using the same logic as the Xbox fanboys were doing, but they were being sarcastic.

The problem is that you took them seriously.

Help me understand the point that is discussed 24X7 on that "ps5-xbox analysis" thread.

hype13mkew.jpg

Is it the crucifixion you guys painted? is it Phil Spencer "sucking dick 4 ps5"? or the straight-up lies and FUD?
Help me understand your "analysis" and the "point"
Oh come on now. You know this shit is just pure fun. I'll admit, Phil next to a "will suck dick 4 PS5 hype train tickets" is a bit much, but this whole thing is a big dumb joke and you should know better.

Nobody is going around calling the Series X a bad console. It's not. Full stop. It's just gonna take a bit more time for their exclusives to show up.

Anyway, do you want a ticket or not? You just have to ask...

Can't wait until DF analysis. The meltdowns will be GLORIOUS!

In before XSX only won the head to head because DF is biased.

War, what is it good for...

It's going to take a Digital Foundry 200% zoom to notice anything meaningful in the first place. If they want to waste their time on trivial bullshit like that, than fuck'em. It's sad when instead of enjoying what a game has to offer, they first cast most of their judgement based on Digital Foundry's frame rate analysis and resolution nit picking. Oh no, the game drops a frame once in a while. IT'S FUCKING DEAD TO ME.

Funny how you posted a bunch of old an very well known AMD marketing material. Are you by any chance trying to ...school me? :messenger_tears_of_joy:
ML is all about 4bit and 8bit ops. We know that microsoft have them. We know ...radio silence from sony.
VRS, we know ms have included it too. Again, radio silence from sony.
Wanna talk about R/T? From the AMD leaks we have seen all the pre-silicon / silicon tests. We have known since then RT tested on ms h/w. Nada for ps5.
I could continue, but there is no "point".

Oh come on now. You know this shit is just pure fun. I'll admit, Phil next to a "will suck dick 4 PS5 hype train tickets" is a bit much, but this whole thing is a big dumb joke and you should know better.

Nobody is going around calling the Series X a bad console. It's not. Full stop. It's just gonna take a bit more time for their exclusives to show up.

Anyway, do you want a ticket or not? You just have to ask...
You know what? 95% of you guys in there are grown-ass adults. You are not little kids not even juvenile people.
Yet you troll like there is no tomorrow, you make ANY kind of discussion that does not start with "I hope master cerny tomorrow graces us with x-y-z" impossible, and you gang-up on everyone that doesn't share your callus, curse, ridicule, etc

So next time, when you are trying to describe what "pure fun" is, maybe you also should think about it first. Even 10 minutes I think will be enough.

Last edited:

semicool

Banned
RDNA 1.5 x (Cerny + SSD) = RDNA3.
That would be RDNA 3.5 then right?

They are at least calling it "custom" RDNA2 but as it's been reported that just means it's part RDNA1 with some RDNA2. How much so...... it's hard to quantify. The XSX is probably part RDNA1 too with RDNA2 customization too. Who knows which is "more" RDNA2 🤷‍♂️? We will probably find out more in October with the more full RDNA2 feature set revealed.

Last edited:

Journey

Banned
It's going to take a Digital Foundry 200% zoom to notice anything meaningful in the first place. If they want to waste their time on trivial bullshit like that, than fuck'em. It's sad when instead of enjoying what a game has to offer, they first cast most of their judgement based on Digital Foundry's frame rate analysis and resolution nit picking. Oh no, the game drops a frame once in a while. IT'S FUCKING DEAD TO ME.

So for Xbox One vs PS4, it was all about Antonio Banderas Gifs of shooting at 720p images, or calling out CoD: Ghosts running 720p vs 1080p or the TF difference.

Now with Series X vs PS5 we should focus on what the games have to offer.

It’s always about what the games have to offer, but you don’t walk into a technical thread or DF comparison to talk about gameplay. Sony fans want their cake and eat it too, that’s the problem.

Last edited:
So for Xbox One vs PS4, DF should focus purely on the technical facts, not whether the game plays good, after all they’re a technical analysis site and have no business adding their opinion.

Now with Series X vs PS5 they should focus on what the game has to offer.

PRICELESS!
I guess it's my fault, but you didn't have the right takeaway from what I wrote. I was chastising fanboys for putting such a high priority on technical minutiae side of things and losing their shit if it doesn't match up to the competition.

Funny how you posted a bunch of old an very well known AMD marketing material. Are you by any chance trying to ...school me? :messenger_tears_of_joy:
ML is all about 4bit and 8bit ops. We know that microsoft have them. We know ...radio silence from sony.
Wanna talk about R/T? From the AMD leaks we have seen all the pre-silicon / silicon tests. We have known since then RT tested on ms h/w. Nada for ps5.

You know what? 95% of you guys in there are grown-ass adults. You are not little kids not even juvenile people.
Yet you troll like there is no tomorrow, you make ANY kind of discussion that does not start with "I hope master cerny tomorrow graces us with x-y-z" impossible, and you gang-up on everyone that doesn't share your callus, curse, ridicule, etc

So next time, when you are trying to describe what "pure fun" is, maybe you also should think about it first. Even 10 minutes I think will be enough.
Oh please. Enough. We're all having dumb fun, and of course some people push the envelope (like the Phil stuff). I'm not a fan of it either, but If you feel the need to call it out, than call out those specific people instead of painting with a wide brush.

hype13mkew.jpg

Is it the crucifixion you guys painted? is it Phil Spencer "sucking dick 4 ps5"? or the straight-up lies and FUD?
Help me understand your "analysis" and the "point"

Yeah this kind of garbage is why I don't even bother with that thread (it's the Next-Gen Speculation thread Son Goku made, right?) or stuff like these hype trains. I've never really been a console warrior trihard and have a lot of love for many brands from Sony, to Microsoft, to Nintendo and SEGA, SNK, NEC even oddities like the 3DO and even Jaguar more recently.

So I'm not gonna hop on hype trains that jest with shitting on one brand or platform for the sake of another when I've also seen more than enough proof of outright animosity and dislike towards the same brand(s) that these kind of things poke fun at outside of these hype train events. Just enables toxicity that screws over real console and even gaming discussion because everything becomes much more polarizing, almost like you get out of politics these days. Just isn't fun.

EDIT: Of course I'm still hyped up for the PS5 event Wednesday tho, and I hope it isn't delayed for whatever reason (like with the news that dropped tonight out of nowhere).

Last edited:

Tripolygon

Banned
You don't even see the irony of what you are saying is the very thing you created this thread to "set the record straight" about. I posted RDNA whitepaper. You know the document that describes each architecture? And funny how you can't point to a single document that states
full feature set that defines rdna2, and then we can discuss "my" "fud"
VEGA architecture supports packed FP16, INT8, INT4 which is used for machine learning. It is not a feature that determines RDNA 2. PS4 Pro which is based on Polaris supports packed FP16.
zN1KrdB.jpg

RaRGveV.jpg

Are PS4 Pro and VEGA RDNA 2? Ever since you started posting in these threads, its been one dumb thing after another. And of course now back to PS5 does not have raytracing. And you want to dispel FUD about Xbox Series S/X.

Last edited:
Yeah this kind of garbage is why I don't even bother with that thread (it's the Next-Gen Speculation thread Son Goku made, right?) or stuff like these hype trains. I've never really been a console warrior trihard and have a lot of love for many brands from Sony, to Microsoft, to Nintendo and SEGA, SNK, NEC even oddities like the 3DO and even Jaguar more recently.

So I'm not gonna hop on hype trains that jest with shitting on one brand or platform for the sake of another when I've also seen more than enough proof of outright animosity and dislike towards the same brand(s) that these kind of things poke fun at outside of these hype train events. Just enables toxicity that screws over real console and even gaming discussion because everything becomes much more polarizing, almost like you get out of politics these days. Just isn't fun.

EDIT: Of course I'm still hyped up for the PS5 event Wednesday tho, and I hope it isn't delayed for whatever reason (like with the news that dropped tonight out of nowhere).
(y)

Oh please. Enough. We're all having dumb fun, and of course some people push the envelope (like the Phil stuff). I'm not a fan of it either, but If you feel the need to call it out, than call out those specific people instead of painting with a wide brush.
Do you know what mob mentality is?

trainofnoshame.jpg

I told you earlier, 10 minutes of thinking would be enough. 10 minutes still are enough.

Tripolygon

Banned
Do you know what mob mentality is?

I told you earlier, 10 minutes of thinking would be enough. 10 minutes still are enough.
Try it yourself. I have not once seen you critically think through anything you have posted. You post and double down until you are ignored.

Last week you created this thread

NVIDIA boss says GTX 3080 series is using xbox methodology for Ray Tracing

Which i called you out on it and you decided to change it to about measurement. You did the absurd R&C load time measurement which i counted the frames to show how fast it loaded. You don't learn anything from these discussions if you can even call it one. You just like to argue incessantly and claim you schooled someone. That is not a healthy normal adult behavior.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom