• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD Ryzen Thread: Affordable Core Act

I enjoyed this thread a lot. It was exciting to see AMD rise from the grave and light a fire under Intel's ass.

I look forward to seeing a Zen +/Zen 2 thread on another forum some day.

My new Ryzen build with the 1700x is giving me an issue, or what I think is an issue. The RAM usage on bootup seems rather high from what I remember with my Intel 4690K build with 2133 RAM. This is at 3000 with a 980 Ti, 3 SSDs, and my 980 Ti that moved over from old build. Is it normal have 10-12% RAM usage on the desktop? This is a clean install of Windows as well. I actually opened up Battlnet app thinking about buying Destiny 2, never realized what a RAM hog that thing is. Went from 11% sitting on the desktop to 43% after opening up the app. I feel like something may be wrong with the RAM and I need to get in touch with Amazon for replacement.

Aretak

My new Ryzen build with the 1700x is giving me an issue, or what I think is an issue. The RAM usage on bootup seems rather high from what I remember with my Intel 4690K build with 2133 RAM. This is at 3000 with a 980 Ti, 3 SSDs, and my 980 Ti that moved over from old build. Is it normal have 10-12% RAM usage on the desktop? This is a clean install of Windows as well. I actually opened up Battlnet app thinking about buying Destiny 2, never realized what a RAM hog that thing is. Went from 11% sitting on the desktop to 43% after opening up the app. I feel like something may be wrong with the RAM and I need to get in touch with Amazon for replacement.
10-12% is very normal for a fresh boot (assuming we're talking about 16GB total here). I have no startup programs except for a light firewall and have disabled a ton of background crap, and still see 8-9% usage on a fresh boot. Which is fine, honestly. Better your RAM is being used than not, if caching speeds things up. Your system sounds perfectly normal to me. Games are massive RAM hogs in general these days, so I'm not surprised that Destiny 2 is as well.

/edit/ With everything closed on my machine (16GB DDR3):
idle8xzq4.png

10-12% is very normal for a fresh boot (assuming we're talking about 16GB total here). I have no startup programs except for a light firewall and have disabled a ton of background crap, and still see 8-9% usage on a fresh boot. Which is fine, honestly. Better your RAM is being used than not, if caching speeds things up. Your system sounds perfectly normal to me. Games are massive RAM hogs in general these days, so I'm not surprised that Destiny 2 is as well.

/edit/ With everything closed on my machine (16GB DDR3):

Yeah. Hmm

I'm not so worried now.

dr_rus

AMD Reports Third Quarter 2017 Financial Results
AMD (NASDAQ:AMD) today announced revenue for the third quarter of 2017 of $1.64 billion, operating income of $126 million and net income of $71 million, and diluted earnings per share of $0.07. On a non-GAAP(1) basis, operating income was $155 million, net income was $110 million, and diluted earnings per share was $0.10.
Revenue was $1.64 billion, up 26 percent year-over-year, primarily driven by higher revenue in the Computing and Graphics segment (CG). Revenue was up 34 percent sequentially, driven by the Enterprise Embedded and Semi-Custom segment (EESC) revenue seasonality and higher revenue in CG. In the quarter, AMD closed a patent licensing transaction which positively impacted revenue in the segments.
Computing and Graphics segment revenue was $819 million, up 74 percent year-over-year primarily driven by strong sales of Radeon™ graphics and Ryzen™ desktop processors.

Some coverage:
- Advanced Micro Devices Beats Q3 Estimates, But Stock Falls On Lower Guidance
- AMD forecasts fourth-quarter revenue decline, shares fall

Anandtech's take:
- AMD Announces Q3 Earnings: $71M In The Black

llien

As fast as a Core i5-8250U but with more than double the graphics performance, the Ryzen 5 2500U is launching with just the momentum AMD needs in the notebook space.

Raw CineBench scores are painting a very impressive picture for AMD's mid-range mobile offering. The CineBench R15 scores for our Ryzen 5 2500U test notebook are essentially identical to Intel's Core i5-8250U in both single- and multi-threaded loads. Even the 45 W dual-core i5-7300HQ found on most mainstream gaming notebooks is consistently slower by 5 to 10 percent against AMD's less power-hungry APU. The results are a generational leap over the best that Bristol Ridge had to offer in every sense of the word.

Our first Ryzen 5 2500U benchmarks are in and Intel has every reason to worry (notebooks.check)

llien

Not a serious research, of course, and tells you nothing about OEM market, but hints at tendencies, data from popular ("cheap") German online shop "mindfactory"

FnsRoew.png

More pics.

Just bought a 1600 for a new work build. Looking forward to not having to buy an aftermarket cooler and putting the Wraith Spire to use with a mild 3.7Ghz overclock.

EDIT: paid £158 for it. A six-core CPU + good cooler in the box is bonkers price so I couldnt resist.

Just bought a 1600 for a new work build. Looking forward to not having to buy an aftermarket cooler and putting the Wraith Spire to use with a mild 3.7Ghz overclock.

EDIT: paid £158 for it. A six-core CPU + good cooler in the box is bonkers price so I couldnt resist.

Eh, your mileage may vary there. Overclocking with the stock cooler with my R5 1600 got very toasty very fast. Had to upgrade to a better cooler.

Eh, your mileage may vary there. Overclocking with the stock cooler with my R5 1600 got very toasty very fast. Had to upgrade to a better cooler.

I'm also going to have a case with good airflow but 3.6ghz would be fine also. The 1600 + wraith spire is to tide me over until Holiday 2018 when I'll probably drop in a Ryzen 2700 8-core that will hit (hopefully) 4.3ghz more readily with a high-end cooler.

I mean £158 was/is insane value for money so I had to dive in.

I'm also going to have a case with good airflow but 3.6ghz would be fine also. The 1600 + wraith spire is to tide me over until Holiday 2018 when I'll probably drop in a Ryzen 2700 8-core that will hit (hopefully) 4.3ghz more readily with a high-end cooler.

I mean £158 was/is insane value for money so I had to dive in.

Airflow wasn’t the problem, heatsoak of the stock cooler was. 3.5ghz at no more than 1.2v is as far as the stock cooler would take me. Higher than that would send the tempts rushing past the 80’s.

Depending on your motherboard, I wouldn’t get your hopes up for dropping in the next gen chip and overclocking either, especially not for if it’s a cheaper B350.

masterkajo

I can go to 3,8GHz on an R5 1600 (Wraith Spire) with Temps staying at about 70° to 80°. With an Hyper Evo 212 I managed 3,9GHz at about 60° to 65°.

Airflow wasn’t the problem, heatsoak of the stock cooler was. 3.5ghz at no more than 1.2v is as far as the stock cooler would take me. Higher than that would send the tempts rushing past the 80’s.

Depending on your motherboard, I wouldn’t get your hopes up for dropping in the next gen chip and overclocking either, especially not for if it’s a cheaper B350.

Lol lighten up dude. I've got a Gigabyte Aorus X370 on the way and it seems to me you've been unlucky with the silicon lottery I'm afraid. 3.8Ghz seems to be quite easily achievable on even the stock cooler at the expense of running the fan high (although it's very quiet).

Also I'd be pissed if Ryzen's revision doesn't either A: allow 200-300 Mhz core frequency at the same volts or B: give a small IPC increase. Ideally both if we're lucky.

Also I'd be pissed if Ryzen's revision doesn't either A: allow 200-300 Mhz core frequency at the same volts or B: give a small IPC increase. Ideally both if we're lucky.

Given that it was the first iteration of a new architecture, it's not unreasonable to think with some microcode workarounds for silicon bugs removed, the new process, and small memory controller improvements, that we see a 10% clock bump and a 3-5% IPC boost.

DonMigs85

Given that it was the first iteration of a new architecture, it's not unreasonable to think with some microcode workarounds for silicon bugs removed, the new process, and small memory controller improvements, that we see a 10% clock bump and a 3-5% IPC boost.
I think there was a lot of low-hanging fruit they couldn't tackle due to time constraints according to a top engineer, so even a 7-10% IPC boost might be feasible.

llien

AMD’s James Prior talks (Ry)zen 2 and Vega 11

AMD Vega 11 is integrated into Raven Ridge APU

The mysterious Vega 11 is not a GPU by itself. It’s a solution for AMD Raven Ridge APUs with 11 Compute Units enabled. James Prior confirmed that Ryzen APUs offer up to 11 Compute Units. So far AMD only released two mobile APU variants, which feature either 8 or 10 CUs (Vega 8/10 Graphics). That said, the chip with 11 Vega Compute Units would be the top tier Raven Ridge APU. No details about desktop APUs have been shared.

AMD RX Vega 56 and 64 to receive an increased supply

It has been confirmed that RX Vega stocks will be increased shortly. This will allow retailers, such as OverclockersUK, to adjust the price accordingly. Our sources have confirmed that AMD is finally supplying partners with Vega chips, which will allow them to introduce custom SKUs in satisfactory number, while reference designs will no longer be produced.

AMD (Ry)zen 2 will use AM4 socket

James Prior reassured that AM4 socket is here to stay (till 2020). The work on Zen 2 has already begun when fundamental parts of Zen 1 were already known. The important thing here is to distinguish Zen 2 from Zen 1 tick-tock process. The upcoming Ryzen 2000 series are likely to use refined Zen+ architecture. A die shrink and architecture optimizations are to be expected. So the Ryzen 2, or more precisely Zen 2 might actually arrive with Ryzen 3000 series, while Ryzen 2000 (or Ryzen 1×50) will use refined Zen1/Zen+ 12nm process instead.

If everything goes according to the plan, forward compatibility for Zen+ and Zen2 will be available with a simple BIOS flash on existing AM4 motherboards.

Videocardz

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I ended up abandoning my 1600x build as I have gotten tired of a glitchy system. Too many hangs on boot up etc. of course I bought the cheapest of the cheap, but I switched over to the 8700K and Z370 and love it.

Love the job AMD is doing though and I can't wait to see the Zen+/X470 reviews.

Last edited:

Papacheeks

Banned
I ended up abandoning my 1600x build as I have gotten tired of a glitchy system. Too many hangs on boot up etc. of course I bought the cheapest of the cheap, but I switched over to the 8700K and Z370 and love it.

I think it was first your board, and second your memory compatibility mixed with Bios settings that caused your unstable/glitchy-ness. AMD AM4 is still a new socket less than a year old, it it something going in you have to compensate for by maybe buying a little better of a board, and taking a hit with memory speed for the sake of better compatibility.

I have DDR4 3200mhz ram but can not go beyond 2933mhz with my cpu at 3.9. But it took a lot of trial and error getting voltage, and settings right as at the time of my build the bios didn't support a lot of ram kits. So I did a little trial and error and got it at 3.9ghz for the cpu and 2933mhz for memory and have been solid ever since.

And even though there have been like 4-5 Bios updates I'v kept it at where it is.

Nothing wrong with the 8700 as I just built my room mate a PC with a z370 board, and 8700 non k and it flies. Also like you said less hassle right off the bat. It was plug and play, load XMP profile and your off to the races.

DonF

im getting tons of hangs on boot up! its driving me crazy! I thought that it was my build, not a widespread problem... I´ve formated, dissembled and put together again, changed ram...god damn! Where can I get more info on this?

Papacheeks

Banned
im getting tons of hangs on boot up! its driving me crazy! I thought that it was my build, not a widespread problem... I´ve formated, dissembled and put together again, changed ram...god damn! Where can I get more info on this?

Hang ups are more related to Bios/chipset. Can you explain to me in more detail what your PC is doing when you first turn it on? Like is it turning on then turning off? Because that's memory training.

Also if you have a Asus, or Asrock there is something that needs to be set correctly a well. Also what Bios Version are you running?

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I think it was first your board, and second your memory compatibility mixed with Bios settings that caused your unstable/glitchy-ness. AMD AM4 is still a new socket less than a year old, it it something going in you have to compensate for by maybe buying a little better of a board, and taking a hit with memory speed for the sake of better compatibility.

I have DDR4 3200mhz ram but can not go beyond 2933mhz with my cpu at 3.9. But it took a lot of trial and error getting voltage, and settings right as at the time of my build the bios didn't support a lot of ram kits. So I did a little trial and error and got it at 3.9ghz for the cpu and 2933mhz for memory and have been solid ever since.

And even though there have been like 4-5 Bios updates I'v kept it at where it is.

Nothing wrong with the 8700 as I just built my room mate a PC with a z370 board, and 8700 non k and it flies. Also like you said less hassle right off the bat. It was plug and play, load XMP profile and your off to the races.
Admittedly I am concerned that I may jumped back onto to the Intel train a bit too quickly. I should have waited and seen if Zen+ and X470 closed the gap.

No doubt the Z370 and 8700K is the best gaming platform at the moment, but it's also going to be quickly replaced by the Z390.

However it's mega nice being able to run my EVGA memory at 3000 profile speed without any issue.

I had my 1600X running at a constant 3.8 Ghz and my EVGA memory running at 2800 without any voltage modifications. That may have contributed to it.

Last edited:

DonF

Hang ups are more related to Bios/chipset. Can you explain to me in more detail what your PC is doing when you first turn it on? Like is it turning on then turning off? Because that's memory training.

Also if you have a Asus, or Asrock there is something that needs to be set correctly a well. Also what Bios Version are you running?
Oh man, msi board, x370 gaming plus. It boots, just not all the time.I set the HDD to UEFI and ahci is activated. The thing is that when it boots, everything works fine, but it boots like 30% of the times. I´m still in the same bios version that it came with. I know I have to update it, but its my home pc, and ill be home this weekend. I'm literally working on it a couple of hours just the weekends.
And what it does is that when I turn it on, the hdd and fans spin, but the monitor doesnt even get a signal, not even the keyboard turns on, just the mouse. I tried other keyboards, just in case and nothing. I have to press the on button for a couple of seconds to turn it off and try again. Processor is a ryzen 5 1600.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Oh man, msi board, x370 gaming plus. It boots, just not all the time.I set the HDD to UEFI and ahci is activated. The thing is that when it boots, everything works fine, but it boots like 30% of the times. I´m still in the same bios version that it came with. I know I have to update it, but its my home pc, and ill be home this weekend. I'm literally working on it a couple of hours just the weekends.
And what it does is that when I turn it on, the hdd and fans spin, but the monitor doesnt even get a signal, not even the keyboard turns on, just the mouse. I tried other keyboards, just in case and nothing. I have to press the on button for a couple of seconds to turn it off and try again. Processor is a ryzen 5 1600.
Okay, if you haven't updated the bios since you got it, that's a dead give away that you're gonna have issues. You need to update it like yesterday.

You also may want to consider reinstalling windows after you update the bios.

Last edited:

Papacheeks

Banned

Sounds like you have fast boot turned on. Which messes with UEFI and makes so you can't boot USB devices. Only way to reset it is to reset the CMOS battery. I honestly would write down your settings and reset the bios by way of cmos battery. Then take a look at your Bios on the forums and see what seems stable. After updating the Bios then I would start messing with XMP profile, and try to use stock memory voltage as anything for the cpu that's above 1.35v is not super great even though AMD says you can go to 1.40 without issue, but heat is a big issue.

I run a Bios update from April/May I probably should update but 2933mhz is fine. I also run my cpu at 3.9 with turbo on so it isn't 3.9 all the time. It's a limiter. So sometimes It fluctuates from 3.8-3.9 in safe parameters with semi tweaked voltage. It runs 1.35 with an offset.

I would honestly look online with overclockers.net, tomshardware to see what others have been able to hit. But know not everyone hits the lottery with memory and cpu's. I didn't.

Last edited:

Treats

Neo Member
Admittedly I am concerned that I may jumped back onto to the Intel train a bit too quickly. I should have waited and seen if Zen+ and X470 closed the gap.

No doubt the Z370 and 8700K is the best gaming platform at the moment, but it's also going to be quickly replaced by the Z390.

However it's mega nice being able to run my EVGA memory at 3000 profile speed without any issue.

I had my 1600X running at a constant 3.8 Ghz and my EVGA memory running at 2800 without any voltage modifications. That may have contributed to it.
1600 at 3.9 corsair at 3200 without any voltage modifications, Asus x370 pro.

Papacheeks

Banned
I flashed the latest bios and now it boots every time! Thank for your help! my god, never had this kinda trouble! It was really that rushed the release of ryzen/components?

The CPU's were moved up to release in April instead of like June, and because of that Motherboard MANUFACTURER'S did not get the Micro-Code in time for a lot of features and memory compatibility. Which is why there were so many Bios updates by almost every company for Ryzen platform.

It happens sometimes. Look at Sandy Bridge from intel, they actually had a faulty design for USB 3.0 that caused deterioration over time of USB PORTS. Lots of RMA's, and send backs to company's even on a retail level for PC's with those cpu's and boards. It was not a super smooth launch for Sandy Bridge.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
The CPU's were moved up to release in April instead of like June, and because of that Motherboard MANUFACTURER'S did not get the Micro-Code in time for a lot of features and memory compatibility. Which is why there were so many Bios updates by almost every company for Ryzen platform.

It happens sometimes. Look at Sandy Bridge from intel, they actually had a faulty design for USB 3.0 that caused deterioration over time of USB PORTS. Lots of RMA's, and send backs to company's even on a retail level for PC's with those cpu's and boards. It was not a super smooth launch for Sandy Bridge.
My understanding is that the x299 launch was problematic too.

My 1600 build has been flawless so far. Shame its taken me this long to have an AMD system in my house.

I feel like buying one of the new £85 2700G APUs and tinkering with a second system.

Makariel

My R5 1600 / GTX 1080 system works flawless since I bought it in July last year. My parents old i3 is dying a slow death, I'm intending to get them a new R3 2200G system this summer. Hope memory prices go down a notch until then.

llien

Waiting for this 👇👇👇

Just ahead of CES 2018, AMD has detailed a whole bunch of stuff that will be coming out this year, covering everything from 2nd-gen Ryzen processors and desktop Ryzen APUs, to new Ryzen Mobile APUs and even discrete mobile Vega GPUs.

https://www.techspot.com/news/72627-amd-2nd-gen-ryzen-coming-april-desktop-ryzen.html

The 2 new Raven Ridge APUs look great.
Crazy that they are cheaper than corresponding non-APUs, perhaps when Zen+ is out, these two are still to stay for a while.

endre

Hey guys, I need some advice from you.

I bought a Cryorig H7 cooler for my Ryzen setup, and while the temps did go down, the noise the fan makes is annoying to me. The thing is, the new fan's pitch is a lot higher than the stock fan's. At least for my taste.

Now I am thinking about getting a different fan for the CPU heatsink. Can anybody recommend something that cooles good and makes a lower frequancy noise? Would the Noctua NF-F12PWM be a good choice? Noctua has a lot (3?) to choose from. According to the Noctua website the F12 is good for heatsinks, however both the P12 and the S12A seem to have better specs at 900rpm.

Last edited:
Hey guys, I need some advice from you.

I bought a Cryorig H7 cooler for my Ryzen setup, and while the temps did go down, the noise the fan makes is annoying to me. The thing is, the new fan's pitch is a lot higher than the stock fan's. At least for my taste.

Now I am thinking about getting a different fan for the CPU heatsink. Can anybody recommend something that cooles good and makes a lower frequancy noise? Would the Noctua NF-F12PWM be a good choice? Noctua has a lot (3?) to choose from. According to the Noctua website the F12 is good for heatsinks, however both the P12 and the S12A seem to have better specs at 900rpm.

Coming from someone with 5 Noctua’s in his PC, I highly recommend them.

However before you do, have you considered changing your fan curve for something less aggressive/quieter first?

CeeJay

These new APUs look interesting but could do with some advice... I was planning a build with a Ryzen 5 1600 CPU but with the price of GPUs currently, I was planning to get something cheap like a 1050 to put in it with the hope that the crypto-currency bubble will burst at some point before this GPU becomes useless and then upgrade to something decent if/when the price comes down to reasonable levels. My question is whether the 2400G APU would have a strong enough CPU while also covering me for a while on the GPU side of things and saving some cash to save for a decent discrete GPU? Is this reasonable or too much of a compromise?

Droxcy

Really thinking about switching to Ryzen from i5. Not completely on board yet but looks like they're worth it for the price point.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Just recently bought a hp envy with Ryzen 5 apu ravenridge.

It’s pretty nice .. definitely outperforms it’s Intel equivalent.

Linux support is almost nonexistent at the moment though.

endre

Coming from someone with 5 Noctua’s in his PC, I highly recommend them.

However before you do, have you considered changing your fan curve for something less aggressive/quieter first?

Which Noctuas do you have? If different blade types do you hear a difference?

The curves are set to silent mode, that was the first thing I played with.

Funny enough one of the youtube comparison reviews mentioned the different noise frequency and that some people don't like it. I thought I would not notice...

Last edited:

llien

My question is whether the 2400G APU would have a strong enough CPU while also covering me for a while on the GPU side of things and saving some cash to save for a decent discrete GPU? Is this reasonable or too much of a compromise?

YMMV, hereare the gaming results (note that in some games 2400G loses to 2200G... should be thermals). Or this video:

Overall, in most games, bar couple, it is noticeably faster than 1030, but definitely slower than 1050.

If you are fine gaming on "low" settings, it's an APU for you.

any cheap laptops with ryzen for max 350-400€ in Europe? 15,6'' FHD IPS, SSD, 6 GB ram etc?
Nope... :(
AMD went with "premium first" being the reason.
Cheaper ones should start popping out shortly (1-2 month).

Last edited:
Which Noctuas do you have? If different blade types do you hear a difference?

The curves are set to silent mode, that was the first thing I played with.

Funny enough one of the youtube comparison reviews mentioned the different noise frequency and that some people don't like it. I thought I would not notice...

Three NF-A12x15 (slim 120mm) and two 92mm redux fans.

They all seem to resonate a low frequency and near silent hum. Even at full load, they’re much quieter than the GPU fans running at 70%.

Top Bottom