• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD Ryzen 7000: 5 nm desktop CPUs coming September 27th

It seems that USB 4 2.0 (USB 4 80Gbps) just requires specific cables?

If so, I would guess all AMD (and others) would need to do is update some firmware?

I am not sure; it was recently announced. Perhaps AMD can make GPU accelerators for additional juice at a reasonable price point utilizing USB 4.0

Tams

Gold Member
I am not sure; it was recently announced. Perhaps AMD can make GPU accelerators for additional juice at a reasonable price point utilizing USB 4.0
Well, USB 40Gbps was only just enough for eGPUs (lost about half the performance of a GPU). It doesn't scale linearly, so twice the throughput isn't going to see the full output of any eGPU realised, but USB 80Gbps would be much better.

Asus' solution, using a modified OCuLink connector, offers about 62Gbps if I recall correctly and can not waste most of what a high end mobile eGPU can provide. That connector also has a USB 3 (something) connector too, but that's just for the IO and ethernet.

Worst case scenario, USB 80Gbps would be only 2Gbps behind OCuLink + USB 3.1 (20Gbps) and more convenient.

That's only if AMD's devices can support USB 80Gbps though.

Well, USB 40Gbps was only just enough for eGPUs (lost about half the performance of a GPU). It doesn't scale linearly, so twice the throughput isn't going to see the full output of any eGPU realised, but USB 80Gbps would be much better.

Asus' solution, using a modified OCuLink connector, offers about 62Gbps if I recall correctly and can not waste most of what a high end mobile eGPU can provide. That connector also has a USB 3 (something) connector too, but that's just for the IO and ethernet.

Worst case scenario, USB 80Gbps would be only 2Gbps behind OCuLink + USB 3.1 (20Gbps) and more convenient.

That's only if AMD's devices can support USB 80Gbps though.

Makes me wonder what will be the use for thunderbolt, once USB 4.0 Version 2.0 comes out. :unsure:

Last edited:

Tams

Gold Member
Makes me wonder what will be the use for thunderbolt, once USB 4.0 Version 2.0 comes out. :unsure:

Last I heard about further Thunderbolt was 80Gbps, but that was years ago now. I'm pretty sure it's being merged into USB now (considering Intel are the main force behind both, it would make sense).

qe6vUlB.jpg

fXpsuWV.jpg

I need Zen4/RDNA3 APU based foldable OLED laptops with the following specs please:
-Multiple USB 4.0 Ports
-1440p Resolution with HDR + AMD Free Sync2\VRR+120hz Refresh Rate
-12GB DDR5+ RAM
-Bluetooth 5.2
-Wifi6E
-5G (optional)
-Pen slot with close to 1:1 writing low latency (similar to Samsung low latency pens) with tilt support
-NVME SSD 1TB+ with 5GB/sec speed
-SD Express 8.0 Slot with 4GB/sec speed
-1440p built in camera that doesn't suck

AMD, please stop using VEGA for your iGPU's. It needs to die.

My body is ready, the specs should be the standard for entry level all-in-one pen support full touch screen desktops, mini desktops, mini pc's etc.

Top Bottom