• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD Ryzen 3 3100 & Intel Core i7-7700K Desktop CPUs Compared, Intel Leads But It’s Very Close

thelastword

Banned
A recent comparison between the Intel Core i7-7700K and the Ryzen 3 3100 appeared on Geekbench. The Intel Core i7-7700K processor currently retails on Amazon for $549.99 which is an absurd price to pay for a quad-core CPU these days, while the Ryzen 3 3100 processor is stated to have a projected price of $99. That vast price difference with very little performance loss makes the Ryzen processor is a significantly better value.

The Intel Core i7-7700K features a single-core score of 1,284 and a multi-core score of 5,168 while the Ryzen processor scored 1,141 in single-core performance and 4,928 in multi-core performance. Intel's Core i7-7700K does win when compared to the Ryzen processor but only by a small lead so, in the end, the Ryzen 3 3100 takes the cake for offering better value and also, much better power efficiency.

https://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-3-3100-intel-core-i7-7700k-desktop-cpu-benchmarks-leak/

AMD-Ryzen-3-3100-vs-Intel-Core-i7-7700K-CPU-Benchmarks.png

Yeah AMD has definitely surpassed Intel's IPC, it's a shame they can't clock higher though. Once they work out frequency tolerances it will be a blood bath.

lmfao that's embarrassing for Intel.

I love what AMD's been doing on the CPU side. Crazy how good of a CPU you can get for $100 really.

Whenever Nvidia releases their new top of the line GPUs, I'm building an entirely new PC. I'm hoping the next gen Ryzen Desktop CPUs are close to releasing. If not, I'm going with a 3900X.

Tripolygon

Banned
Still sad that Zen2 can't even beat a 2015 Intel architecture CPU in gaming.

Hopefully Zen3 improves gaming performance.
So it's not enough that AMD has finally matched Intel in performance at significantly cheaper prices across the entire CPU range but they also have to beat Intel as well. These are impressive gaming performance for a cheaper CPU while also beating Intel in non gaming workload.

Last edited:

Leonidas

So it's not enough that AMD has finally matched Intel in performance at significantly cheaper prices across the entire CPU range but they also have to beat Intel as well. These are impressive gaming performance for a cheaper CPU while also beating Intel in non gaming workload.

AMD hasn't matched Intel in gaming, though they are closer than they've been in ages.

I applaud AMD for bringing competition to the CPU space as it has forced Intel to improve their stuff recently but getting close to performance of a 2-4 year old Intel CPUs at a lower price, years after the fact just isn't exciting to me.

Last edited:

marquimvfs

Even Intel can't beat a 2015 architecture CPU in gaming. Looks like AMD will be the first one to do it. If Intel can't manage to improve its process, Ryzen 4 will be a bloodbath like the one you've been waiting to finally recognize AMD as a "winner".

Leonidas

Even Intel can't beat a 2015 architecture CPU in gaming.

True, but at least they successfully clocked it higher and added 2 cores a year for the past 3 years, which was all they needed to do to hold the gaming CPU crown.

Looks like AMD will be the first one to do it. If Intel can't manage to improve its process, Ryzen 4 will be a bloodbath like the one you've been waiting to finally recognize AMD as a "winner".

Future speculation is cheap. I always hear wait for the thing coming next year or the year after that... fact is Intel will be on a new architecture on desktop within a year and they will be on a new process in 2021, but I won't speculate on the performance of either...

Last edited:

marquimvfs

Future speculation is cheap. I always hear wait for the thing coming next year or the year after that... fact is Intel will be on a new architecture on desktop within a year and they will be on a new process in 2021, but I won't speculate on the performance of either...
Sure, I could be wrong, but I'm saying that based on what we're seeing right now on the market. But yeah, AMD could stagnate and Intel could catch in next generation, that's not impossible.

Intel isnt falling behind, theyve just weighed up milk-ability from brand name vs what theyd get from just releasing 1 major update every couple of years.

They know they can release smaller updates and people loyal to Intel will still buy. It doesnt matter if AMDs latest offering is better.

thelastword

Banned

So gaming performance differences are pretty negligible between Ryzen and Intel......Even now, Ryzen is getting pole position in many modern games, but I see what you want is total dominance and annihilation from Ryzen in gaming....No worries, we should get that with Ryzen 4000.

What's in the OP though is the lowest end Ryzen with half of the ram and lower clocks over an Intel Flagship chip from a few years ago.........and it's still within spitting distance....Oh and that chip is only $99.....and only pushing a TDP of 65 Watts...

So strange, how nobody wants to save electricity anymore after Ryzen 2 and Navi debuted...

Type_Raver

A recent comparison between the Intel Core i7-7700K and the Ryzen 3 3100 appeared on Geekbench. The Intel Core i7-7700K processor currently retails on Amazon for $549.99 which is an absurd price to pay for a quad-core CPU these days, while the Ryzen 3 3100 processor is stated to have a projected price of $99. That vast price difference with very little performance loss makes the Ryzen processor is a significantly better value.

The Intel Core i7-7700K features a single-core score of 1,284 and a multi-core score of 5,168 while the Ryzen processor scored 1,141 in single-core performance and 4,928 in multi-core performance. Intel's Core i7-7700K does win when compared to the Ryzen processor but only by a small lead so, in the end, the Ryzen 3 3100 takes the cake for offering better value and also, much better power efficiency.

https://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-3-3100-intel-core-i7-7700k-desktop-cpu-benchmarks-leak/

I was curious and ran the test on my pc with an i7 3930k at 4.6Ghz and got 939/5618.

Last edited:
So gaming performance differences are pretty negligible between Ryzen and Intel......Even now, Ryzen is getting pole position in many modern games, but I see what you want is total dominance and annihilation from Ryzen in gaming....No worries, we should get that with Ryzen 4000.

What's in the OP though is the lowest end Ryzen with half of the ram and lower clocks over an Intel Flagship chip from a few years ago.........and it's still within spitting distance....Oh and that chip is only $99.....and only pushing a TDP of 65 Watts...

So strange, how nobody wants to save electricity anymore after Ryzen 2 and Navi debuted...
Don't forget it's also operating at a considerably lower frequency so the IPC is far and away better.

Reallink

The 7700K is nearing 3 and a half years old, and was itself basically a rebadged 6700K which is nearing 5 years old. They both streeted around $300-$320 in their heyday. There's nothing stunning or shocking about a mid-2020 $100 part coming on par with them. They are ancient at this point and basically represent a console generation gap.

Last edited:

Tripolygon

Banned
AMD hasn't matched Intel in gaming, though they are closer than they've been in ages.

I applaud AMD for bringing competition to the CPU space as it has forced Intel to improve their stuff recently but getting close to performance of a 2-4 year old Intel CPUs at a lower price, years after the fact just isn't exciting to me.
Yes they have matched Intel in gaming performance. We are not talking about 2 to 4 year old CPUs. Matter of fact pick any intel CPU and we can compare it to AMD.

i9 10900X vs Ryzen 9 3900X both came out last year and Ryzen is 200$ cheaper yet beats the intel in gaming and non gaming workload.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
For the price sure that LOL bad on Intel's part.

But is this really a fair comparison? One came out last week the other in 2017... thats more than 3 years ago.

For the price sure that LOL bad on Intel's part.

But is this really a fair comparison? One came out last week the other in 2017... thats more than 3 years ago.

Given that this is a budget AMD CPU for $99, with a low thermals, high power efficiency, clocked lower than the Intel chip (which means higher IPC) vs a high end Intel chip from only 3 years ago which still holds up well for gaming and compared to modern Intel chips, as well as being significantly more expensive both at release and still now: I would say it is a pretty big deal and a pretty big win for AMD, especially considering their position in the market just a few years ago. To see how far they have come is pretty incredible.

Is it a "fair" comparison? I don't really know, but it definitely looks good for AMD and their continued momentum in the desktop CPU space.

D.Final

Banned

Great comparison

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I mean AMD is crazy cheap I snagged 3900x for ~10 000CZK (with 21% VAT!) which is ~390USD which was some post-christmas sale. Only thing expensive was a motherboard (Asus X570-E) which was almost a price of the CPU, but I am not complaining since the price would be same if I went with intel and buy cheaper motherboard.

The speed of this CPU astonishes me, especially in multi-threaded situations (I don't game on PC much, so I don't know)

Only fucking downside is that I have audio card for musit production, which a was around 1000USD, obviously to a classic PCI, so I had to buy some ghetto adapter to use it. Works fine, but is that so much to ask for one fucking port? Fortunately I have a E-ATX big tower, so I dod not have to have it externally...

Top Bottom