• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD Rembrandt specs revealed: powerful APUs that might fit into gaming handhelds like Steam Deck

Kokoloko85

So you expect the handheld to have PS5 hardware(at least performance equivalent) inside?

No but it can probably run PS4 hardware performance, in a couple of years more even stronger.
Im sure the Next Switch will be PS4 power at least If not more

supernova8

Banned

the 680m integrated graphics (highest end for now) seems to trade blows with a 1650 Max Q. Destroys the Iris graphics. Looks pretty good but it's all relative I suppose we'll have to see how ARC integrated graphics turn out before deciding which one is actually better.

I'm currently on a GTX 1650 and I'd love to slim down to a tiny form factor PC with just an APU so definitely keeping my eyes peeled.

Last edited:

kiphalfton

Time for a PSP 3.
With Switch and Steamdeck, it shows they can play modern games downgraded for portable so Playstation no longer needs studios making Vita only games.

Plus the 4 shoulder button layout means it can play PS4/PS5 library downgraded.

Use sd card for memory and thats all the Vita issues dealt with.

Anyone who says it sold like shit, yeah true but so did N64, Gamecube and Wii U.
PSP has overall more sales that 3DS so it doesnt mean it will have Vita numbers.
It will have the library, controls and no memory card issues

Lol as if. Sony loves their proprietary storage that costs an arm and a leg.

CS Lurker

I'm currently on a GTX 1650 and I'd love to slim down to a tiny form factor PC with just an APU so definitely keeping my eyes peeled.
Do you mean like a notebook or a really small box? I want the second one, but I don't find options from known companies. I think there's no demand from the market? I don't want to buy something like a steam deck for this; not gonna use it as a portable. If you know a good product like what I'm looking for, I'll appreciate any recommendation.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
No but it can probably run PS4 hardware performance, in a couple of years more even stronger.
A handheld that runs PS4 games is nice and all but it's clearly not what people want (and it would get blamed for 'holding back nexgen' ad nauseum by the very audience it's supposed to be selling to).
For this to have some chance of working, you'd need some weird hybrid that plays PS4 versions natively, but also can do scaled down PS5 (basically a handheld XSS) so that new games get 'nexgen' versions. Which well - good luck fitting in a handheld chassis and power-envelope.

Kokoloko85

A handheld that runs PS4 games is nice and all but it's clearly not what people want (and it would get blamed for 'holding back nexgen' ad nauseum by the very audience it's supposed to be selling to).
For this to have some chance of working, you'd need some weird hybrid that plays PS4 versions natively, but also can do scaled down PS5 (basically a handheld XSS) so that new games get 'nexgen' versions. Which well - good luck fitting in a handheld chassis and power-envelope.

Im no tech wizard but in a couple of years they could potentially tech wise have a steamdeck like device that can play the latest games scaled down.
Like the Steamdeck can play the latest games scaled down. And its kinda future proof for a few years.

PSP3 would be able to play PS4/PS5 games scaled down. Even the Switch plays Witcher 3 for example but Im imagining better Lol

kiphalfton

Looks at PS4, PS3, and PS5… looks at XSX|S … loos at people paying outrageous price per GB on phone storage updates every day… 🤨.

I never quite understood the premiums companies charge for storage (*cough* Apple *cough*) since it isn’t that expensive to go from from say 256gb to 500gb (or even 500gb to 1tb) as it is going from 1tb to 2tb. Granted I’m thinking in terms of nvme ssd’s. Not sure how mobile phone storage pricing works, but when the ratio of price to storage capacity keeps decreasing for all other forms of storage, I don’t get how mobile storage prices seem to stagnate.

I have predicted the future you guyz, I must freeze myself like cartman now

2xZqnxU.jpg
VJluf2K.jpg

Last edited:

You can have a ryzen box in 2023 with Zen4 and RDNA 3 and achieve 1440p-4k 60fps gaming with DLSS like upscaling, FSR 2.0, RT, HDR, VRR. Who needs Xbox? You can game and do regular PC stuff at same time at an affordable price point and low TDP

Last edited:

ToTTenTranz

Banned
the 680m integrated graphics (highest end for now) seems to trade blows with a 1650 Max Q.

The Zephyrus G14 isn't a laptop that can take the best out of the 680M because it's using DDR5-4800. The Rembrandt chips can use up to LPDDR5-6400 which means 33% more bandwidth (and it definitely makes a lot of difference in a GPU that big and fast).
Even the Steam Deck has a higher memory bandwidth than the Zephyrus using LPDDR5-5500.

My guess is that a full Rembrandt at ~35W using LPDDR5-6400 is going to be comfortably faster than a 1650.

Last edited:
Out performing a 2060 would put as much, probably more, on them Than nvidia

I dont think that is realistic

Youtubers are *now* saying that it is rumored that Phoenix will be close to the performance of 3060 mobile NOT 2060 based on their 'sources'. This is a fucking iGPU we talkin about!! 🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥
XmXW5kP.jpg
AHuGCzz.jpg

What its MTs? and why is 8500MTs a big deal?

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Youtubers are *now* saying that it is rumored that Phoenix will be close to the performance of 3060 mobile NOT 2060 based on their 'sources'. This is a fucking iGPU we talkin about!! 🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥
XmXW5kP.jpg
AHuGCzz.jpg

What its MTs? and why is 8500MTs a big deal?
I don’t see how that is within power of an apu right now

Top Bottom