• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD: Radeon 7900XTX ($999) & 7900XT ($899) Announced | Available December 13th

Kataploom

Gold Member
Not official no so grain of salt types of thing here

No. There's a small cottage industry of making these fake YouTube comparison videos. Unless the channel shows they actually physically have the card you should assume it's fake.
Well, even if they were not fake, I wouldn't take them seriously since they're using Intel CPU, so no SAM = -10% to -20% less performance for AMD GPU

Buggy Loop

No. There's a small cottage industry of making these fake YouTube comparison videos. Unless the channel shows they actually physically have the card you should assume it's fake.

This. Still not sure why these channels aren’t banned. We had similar fake videos a couple of days ago.

No presentation from someone? No show of the card? Fake

It’s easy to make a video and show estimated figures

supernova8

Banned
This. Still not sure why these channels aren’t banned. We had similar fake videos a couple of days ago.

No presentation from someone? No show of the card? Fake

It’s easy to make a video and show estimated figures
Same thing with channels posting fake smartphone camera comparisons. I agree and I also think a lot of those comments are fake and/or paid for filler to make the video seem authentic.

Dr.D00p

What people expect is, as usual, unrealistic. They want raster performance 90% of a 4090 for $600 less.

What we'll get with the XTX is a card that most likely trades blows + or - 10% either way, with a 4080, depending on the game, in raster but with inferior Ray Tracing, for a $200 (ish) saving.

People just have to come to terms with it and decide whether that $200 saving is worth having inferior, last generation, Ampere level RT performance, if not, then get a 4080 or 4090.

Well, having read the reviews, engage 'Smug Mode'....Told you!

:messenger_beaming:

b0uncyfr0

So it does seem to beat the 4080 in raster ; that was expected. But not by that much.

RT performance is equivalent to NV last gen cards.

DaGwaphics

Performance seems okay. At least they moved performance forward at the price point, even if only by 20-40% (depending on the game). 3090 levels of RT performance isn't bad for a AMD card either.

Buggy Loop

Rumors and my prediction was right. Its a decent card after all

This one? : Close to 4090 in rasterization

How far back are we looking here? Rumors were wild and so off. Remember 4GHz? Multi-GCD? I kept expectations in check in EVERY threads and peoples didn't like it. Some prefer to live in lalaland than basing expectations on known semiconductor limits. I only have known team red since ATI Mach series. I know the AMD hype cycle.

I recall sizing the 4080 exactly where it landed with 7900XTX that we see today, before 4080 reviews were out, and got called all sort of names for it. All these "up to" extrapolations that were made on conference day, I said it would bite them on the ass, and it did. Peoples had this thing at spitting distance of a 4090, with AMD strangely omitting the comparison. It didn't happen until later that they lowered expectations with the 4080, but even then, peoples were still putting right in the middle of 4080 and 4090.

Last edited:

KungFucius

King Snowflake
So it is a good card that makes paying another 20% for a 4080 a hard pill to swallow. But then again the 4090 makes paying 1200 for the 4080 just as hard. Fucking Nvidia. If people still buy 4070Tis at 900, things will continue to get worse each gen.

So it is a good card that makes paying another 20% for a 4080 a hard pill to swallow. But then again the 4090 makes paying 1200 for the 4080 just as hard. Fucking Nvidia. If people still buy 4070Tis at 900, things will continue to get worse each gen.
If people don't buy a 4080 at 1200 they for sure aint buying a 4070 Ti for 900. The lower in the stack the more price conscious people get.

Shame only the 7900 XTX matches the 4080 because that means that the price of the 4080 doesn't need to drop as much.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
If people don't buy a 4080 at 1200 they for sure aint buying a 4070 Ti for 900. The lower in the stack the more price conscious people get.

Shame only the 7900 XTX matches the 4080 because that means that the price of the 4080 doesn't need to drop as much.
Doesn't need to drop at all as long as the 4080 tops it in RT performance, thats their selling point

Gaiff

Gold Member
xtx vs 4080 comes to ~9% faster and 20% cheaper, pretty solid.

There is probably lots to come from driver optimizations as well.
2-5% in raster according to HU and Techpowerup.
relative-performance_2560-1440.png

relative-performance_3840-2160.png

Average_1440p.png

Average_4K.png
The 4080 is 16-17% faster in RT.
relative-performance-rt_2560-1440.png

relative-performance-rt_3840-2160.png

So very close performance in raster. You also get significantly better RT with the 4080, DLSS which is a bit better than FSR and frame generation in supported games and better drivers. 7900 XTX is $200 cheaper and has 8GB of additional RAM and is a tad faster in rasterization. The 4080 is a slightly better product but not 20% better, more like 10%.

The problem is that it's the same story as before. AMD releases an inferior product and their only saving grace is the lower price point. They need to release something at least as good at a similar or lower price to gain market share.

I'm not expecting the 7900 XTX to sell very well. People aren't keen to shell out $1000 for what is the "budget" brand. The 7900 XT is just bad all around.

The real battle will be in the $200-$500 range aka where most people buy. AMD has a chance to release a better product at a similar or lower price there.

Last edited:
Reactions: GHG

b0uncyfr0

7900 XTX is $200 cheaper and has 8GB of additional RAM and is a tad faster in rasterization. The 4080 is a slightly better product but not 20% better, more like 10%.
And there's the problem - the 4080 is 1600 euros ($1700) on the numerous amazons. That's nuts!

It wont be near 1200 anytime soon.

And there's the problem - the 4080 is 1600 euros ($1700) on the numerous amazons. That's nuts!

It wont be near 1200 anytime soon.
1200 does not include VAT. Which is about 20-25% depending on the country. The 4080 FE is for sale right now for around 1400 euro in plenty of EU countries (Germany, Netherlands, Austria, France, Belgium, Spain, Italy).

Don't get me wrong. It's still a shitty price but it won't be that far off the XTX.

Last edited:

Sanepar

2-5% in raster according to HU and Techpowerup.
relative-performance_2560-1440.png

relative-performance_3840-2160.png

Average_1440p.png

Average_4K.png
The 4080 is 16-17% faster in RT.
relative-performance-rt_2560-1440.png

relative-performance-rt_3840-2160.png

So very close performance in raster. You also get significantly better RT with the 4080, DLSS which is a bit better than FSR and frame generation in supported games and better drivers. 7900 XTX is $200 cheaper and has 8GB of additional RAM and is a tad faster in rasterization. The 4080 is a slightly better product but not 20% better, more like 10%.

The problem is that it's the same story as before. AMD releases an inferior product and their only saving grace is the lower price point. They need to release something at least as good at a similar or lower price to gain market share.

I'm not expecting the 7900 XTX to sell very well. People aren't keen to shell out $1000 for what is the "budget" brand. The 7900 XT is just bad all around.

The real battle will be in the $200-$500 range aka where most people buy. AMD has a chance to release a better product at a similar or lower price there.
4080 is a better deal imo. Because of dlss3 with frame generation.

Have to see how FSR 2.2 and 3.0 do on these new RDNA 3 and old RDNA 2 cards. Will the fine wine mantra hold up for team red?

gpQLfNX.jpg

Last edited:

Gaiff

Gold Member
Drivers definitely have something to do with all this but not sure how much

This is a hardware problem. It will require a retape, hence RDNA 3+. Those cards are fucked. Watch as N32 chips make the top-tier N31 cards look like garbage.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

Drivers definitely have something to do with all this but not sure how much

Shocked Uh Oh GIF

Holy shit, if it’s hardware related, and I mean it’s most likely, why wouldn’t AMD know about it or inform press before review embargo.. if it’s not fixable until RDNA 3+, yikes, must not be fun to be in the engineering team over there in the past months when they sort of caught on that it’s a problem.

There’s no way AMD doesn’t know this for a long time. We’re fumbling around with 3rd party tools to figure out what’s going on, they don’t, they see everything.

twilo99

Shocked Uh Oh GIF

Holy shit, if it’s hardware related, and I mean it’s most likely, why wouldn’t AMD know about it or inform press before review embargo.. if it’s not fixable until RDNA 3+, yikes, must not be fun to be in the engineering team over there in the past months when they sort of caught on that it’s a problem.

There’s no way AMD doesn’t know this for a long time. We’re fumbling around with 3rd party tools to figure out what’s going on, they don’t, they see everything.

That’s what I was thinking too, no way they didn’t know, so why ship broken hardware

Top Bottom