• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD hardware will support Directx 12 features (inc. Xbox Series X)

martino

PS5's geometry engine is even more advanced than your typical mesh shaders because it also culls and works on vertices....Of course there are the cache scrubbers as well.....SO PS5 has a more custom engine/hardware to do VRS and Mesh Shading...That has been detailed already...
i imagine this is a pr lie video then :

this guy is you but on the other side.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Casuals don't know whats going inside their consoles and somehow a Playstation console "Lacking" something stands out which is amazing because when you think of Playstation consoles you think of satisfying, powerful graphics.

I wondered if this was why MS talked specifically about stuff like VRS when Cerny’s panel didn’t. The impression I got from Cerny (Geometry Engine and whatnot) is they are trying to rely on their own alternatives

If the PS5 doesn't have these features in hardware, the XSX in real life performance will be roughly 40 % more powerful and offer seriously more detailed graphics.

The PS5 SSD has Directx 13, 14, and 15 baked into it. It‘s easily fast enough for time travel

geordiemp

It appears from what I can tell that AMDs RDNA 2 support of Variable Rate Shading, Mesh Shading and Sampler Feedback is only available via Direct X API. Unless you are using Direct X, you dont have access to those features.

So it looks like as Sony wont have access to Direct X, the PS5 is going to lack some absolute key features.

"AMD today announced in the form of a blog post that its upcoming graphics cards based on RDNA 2 architecture will feature support for Microsoft's latest DirectX 12 Ultimate API. "With this architecture powering both the next generation of AMD Radeon graphics cards and the forthcoming Xbox Series X gaming console, we've been working very closely with Microsoft to help move gaming graphics to a new level of photorealism and smoothness thanks to the four key DirectX 12 Ultimate graphics features -- DirectX Raytracing (DXR), Variable Rate Shading (VRS), Mesh Shaders, and Sampler Feedback." - said AMD in the blog.

Reportedly, Microsoft and AMD have worked closely to enable this feature set and provide the best possible support for RDNA 2 based hardware, meaning that future GPUs and consoles are getting the best possible integration of the new API standard."

Thats a massive leg up for Xbox.

So funny, Sony have never relied on Microsoft APis, and look how they have struggled and ....er em...

Niether api is an advantage, and the hardware is the same RDNA2.

Its like saying Look AMD has drivers with nice big fancy names, what will Nvidia do....? Nvidia fo make nice sounding names to their APIs...

The ignorance is real.

Oh, and if anyone is interested, an activsion dev post on PS5 GE and VRS

74vLk3f.png

Last edited:

yurinka

The point is RDNA2 has some features that only work on DirectX 12U and Sony will have to come up with their own solution.
No, these RDNA2 features have been implemented with a name in DirectX/MS side and with other name in Sony side. Each one seems to be implementing their own version of the same features, as happened in previous generations. Sony never used DirectX.

I wondered if this was why MS talked specifically about stuff like VRS when Cerny’s panel didn’t. The impression I got from Cerny (Geometry Engine and whatnot) is they are trying to rely on their own alternatives
Maybe because VRS will be exactly the same in PS5, Series X and PC RDNA 2 and Cerny was focusing on PS5 specific stuff.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
I know & I sympathize. I'm tired of all the magical SSD threads too,
The SSD is a technical fact that can be discussed.
If you don’t understand it and think it is magical then it is your compression issues and not who made the thread.

Last edited:

martino

Just like nVidia’s GPUs, AMD’s GPUs, Intel’s GPUs, PS5’s GPU, etc.

There are hardware features common to all vendors.
a reminder because i'm sure poeple will be quick to read shuttermusher post like there is vrs but no mesh shader on xsx.

geordiemp

let's not forget directx and xbx will have mesh shaders AND vrs.

Of course, they will be the same, just called something different. Mesh shaders and VRS against Geomtery engine .......whatever the hell the api is called. in the Sony API, DX12 API, Vulkan API whatever Its all the same shit lol.

Do you think Vulkan / MS / Sony wont write drivers to control the AMD hardware ? some of the names are nice sounding though...its called marketing.

Last edited:

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I fully expect PS5 will have custom libraries to access all features of the GPU.

VFXVeteran

Banned
PS4 does not use Vulkan or OpenGL. They have their own API, GNMx and GNM. This is another misinformation I have seen people use in support of Vulkan.

It doesn't matter. The point is the same. You are talking to the hardware which has the features built into the chips. Use the software API that comes with the hardware. Whether it's Vulkan, GL, DX, etc..

Last edited:
The point is RDNA2 has some features that only work on DirectX 12U and Sony will have to come up with their own solution.
Exactly the point.
People have wondered why Sony hasn't talked about VRS and some here were saying it will have VRS because its an RDNA feature. Well as AMD has said (if you think it's bullshit, take it up with AMD) these features are available if you are using Direct X.
Its pretty simple really. That's why Sony havent made mentioned VRS, or Mesh Shading and Sampler Feedback, because they can t. There were people saying that the MS and Sony RT solutions were different, and now we can see why. AMDs RT is embedded in Direct X, while Sony is going to have to go another route.

Tell me what in GCN hardware was Direct X exclusive fetures?
Nothing. That's my point. Can you prove that RDNA 2 has DirectX exclusive features? Because it doesn't say anywhere in the OP that any of this can only be done using DirectX. Sony will just create their own API that does the same shit and slap a different label on it.

Last edited:
Nothing. That's my point. Can you prove that RDNA 2 has DirectX exclusive features? Because it doesn't say anywhere in the OP that any of this can only be done using DirectX. Sony will just create their own API that does the same shit and slap a different label on it.
How about instead of asking me to prove a negative, you can show me where AMD has said these same features are available on PS5s API.

Tomeru

I think its time we faced the facts. While the ps5 is next gen, the xsx is next next gen. I mean, the numbers dont lie. Plus all those super advanced features that ms have injected into that super apu of theirs are too advanced for sony to catch up to. Ms have, again obviously, prepared ever since that abysmal xone reveal. They are smart.

Also with dx12, vhs, sbc, dxy and lets not forget bcc - there is no way sony can develop something half competent in the short time till launch.

I mean, sony makes walkmans 🤷‍♂️

How about instead of asking me to prove a negative, you can show me where AMD has said these same features are available on PS5s API.
Are you serious? Think about this for a second. This is a press release for their line of consumer GPUs. These are meant to be used in PCs running Windows. Windows, like Xbox, uses DirectX. Always has.

There's no point in mentioning Sony or their API in this case, because it's completely irrelevant. No PC game is ever going to use Sony's API, so there's no need for AMD to talk about it in a press release about their PC GPUs.

VFXVeteran

Banned
Sony doesnt have access to Direct X, that's the point. Unlike Nvidia who have VRS compatible with Open GL, Vulcan and Direct X, AMD had only announced it with Direct X.

Sony does use Direct X on their PC machines. If the AMD card has the hardware features, I'm sure it'll be ported to their PS devkits.

Last edited:

Allandor

What kind of thread is this?
If RDNA2 in the xbox series x supports all those fancy DX12 Features in hardware, they are also available in the PS5 GPU. DX12 is more or less just an interface to use those features.
Only if there are some added features in the GPU that were added, than it would mean something. But if they are just RDNA2 features, there is "nothing exclusive" about it.

Are you serious? Think about this for a second. This is a press release for their line of consumer GPUs. These are meant to be used in PCs running Windows. Windows, like Xbox, uses DirectX. Always has.

There's no point in mentioning Sony or their API in this case, because it's completely irrelevant. No PC game is ever going to use Sony's API, so there's no need for AMD to talk about it in a press release about their PC GPUs.
Yes I am serious. VRS is something MS has said will be on XSX, and AMD has said will be on RDNA 2. Sony hasn't mentioned VRS, and yet people here are saying that it WILL be on PS5 because its a RDNA feature. I have shown where AMD has said it is an RDNA feature because of Direct X. So somehow because of this it is expected that I prove that that its not on PS5? Thats called proving a negative. Its more appropriate that you prove it is on PS5. Since Sony hasn't mentioned VRS, MS have, and AMD has said that its available through Direct X, and havent mentioned any other API, then the evidence seems to point to it not being on PS5.

Xbone X had some direct x 12 built into the hardware. They didnt have time to do that with Xbone.

PlayStation never used direct x api ever. They dont need to use it because they have their own API. This is nothing new. Direct x 12 ultimate is of interest to Microsoft due to windows eco system being on PC desktops and laptops and unifying and streamlining game and other software development. Its a Microsoft thing. Does APPLE and GOOGLE use direct x 12 for their apps and mobile games? No. I think APPLE has their own API called metal I believe.

*yawn*

ethomaz

Banned
Truth.
You can use these features in any API.

Mesh Shaders: DX12, OpenGL, Vulkan.

VRS: DX11, DX12, OpenGL, Vulkan.

It is crazy how the MS brainwash works to the point that Xbox fans believes it is exclusive.

MS only added (late) common GPU feature to their API.

Last edited:
Truth.
You can use these features in any API.

Mesh Shaders: DX12, OpenGL, Vulkan.

VRS: DX11, DX12, OpenGL, Vulkan.

It is crazy how the MS brainwash works to the point that Xbox fans believes it is exclusive.

MS only added (late) common GPU feature to their API.

I think what Microsoft is trying to do is instead of it being a nvidia thing or amd thing, the api can be used for both cards. Also dont forget intel, they will be coming out soon with their own mid range gpu's with ray tracing and they have their own api called ONE API.

I have no idea how ONE API compares to VULCAN and DIRECT X 12 ULTIMATE.

Last edited:
Top Bottom