• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD hardware will support Directx 12 features (inc. Xbox Series X)

It appears from what I can tell that AMDs RDNA 2 support of Variable Rate Shading, Mesh Shading and Sampler Feedback is only available via Direct X API. Unless you are using Direct X, you dont have access to those features.

So it looks like as Sony wont have access to Direct X, the PS5 is going to lack some absolute key features.

"AMD today announced in the form of a blog post that its upcoming graphics cards based on RDNA 2 architecture will feature support for Microsoft's latest DirectX 12 Ultimate API. "With this architecture powering both the next generation of AMD Radeon graphics cards and the forthcoming Xbox Series X gaming console, we've been working very closely with Microsoft to help move gaming graphics to a new level of photorealism and smoothness thanks to the four key DirectX 12 Ultimate graphics features -- DirectX Raytracing (DXR), Variable Rate Shading (VRS), Mesh Shaders, and Sampler Feedback." - said AMD in the blog.

Reportedly, Microsoft and AMD have worked closely to enable this feature set and provide the best possible support for RDNA 2 based hardware, meaning that future GPUs and consoles are getting the best possible integration of the new API standard."

Thats a massive leg up for Xbox.

Last edited:

Pallas

TcCvnrf.gif

It appears from what I can tell that AMDs RDNA 2 support of Variable Rate Shading, Mesh Shading and Sampler Feedback is only available via Direct X API. Unless you are using Direct X, you dont have access to those features.

So it looks like as Sony wont have access to Direct X, the PS5 is going to lack some absolute key features.

"AMD today announced in the form of a blog post that its upcoming graphics cards based on RDNA 2 architecture will feature support for Microsoft's latest DirectX 12 Ultimate API. "With this architecture powering both the next generation of AMD Radeon graphics cards and the forthcoming Xbox Series X gaming console, we've been working very closely with Microsoft to help move gaming graphics to a new level of photorealism and smoothness thanks to the four key DirectX 12 Ultimate graphics features -- DirectX Raytracing (DXR), Variable Rate Shading (VRS), Mesh Shaders, and Sampler Feedback." - said AMD in the blog.

Reportedly, Microsoft and AMD have worked closely to enable this feature set and provide the best possible support for RDNA 2 based hardware, meaning that future GPUs and consoles are getting the best possible integration of the new API standard."

DX12 deja vu. LOL

Mesh Shading = Geometry Engine in PS5.
VRS isn't MS only though. Doesn't mean if Sony didn't mention VRS, doesn't exist. Don't rush with your conclusions, will ya?

Last edited:

SoraNoKuni

That's an interesting point, I doubt that Sony doesn't have something in their sleeves, because that would be a big downside.

On another note VRS and Mesh shading are on the roadmap for Vulkan, and high on priority so it probably won't matter by the time the consoles launch, maybe launch titles which take advantage of said tech will be a lot better on XSX, maybe 3rd party devs won't even use said tech until it's supported by both consoles, only time will tell.

Finally some good critique on Sony.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Xbox has many more things up its sleeve then PS5 like DirectML
Their Ray Tracing efforts(both path and audio) are way better than PS5
For Audio they have Spatial Audio which apart from their own Windows Sonic also supports Dolby Atmos and DTS X(unlike Sony's 3D Audio) along Audio Ray Tracing and Project Acoustics.
Not to mention Quick Resume, way better backwards compatibility.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force

This is flat out wrong.
On a features level, Cerny reveals features that suggest parity with other upcoming AMD and AMD-derived products based on the RDNA 2 technology. A new block known as the Geometry Engine offers developers unparalleled control over triangles and other primitives, and easy optimisation for geometry culling. Functionality extends to the creation of 'primitive shaders' which sounds very similar to the mesh shaders found in Nvidia Turing and upcoming RDNA 2 GPUs.

Genx3

It would certainly suck if the PS5 didn't support those next gen features.
It would mean the XSX is not only more powerful but also more efficient.
I would think that PS5's RDNA2 HW could support those features unless MS has some kind of patent on them.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Yeah well but if you have to wrote it everytime for your engine, like the whole logic behind it, I wonder who is going to do that. But I guess that UE4 and other big engines is going to implement it. Truth to be told, it would be stupid if Sony does not implent this directly to their API. If you feeling smart, you can always write your own implementation, but it's nice to have it there by default.

hyperbertha

OP is flat out wrong, Even if it were true both consoles would have about the same fps thanks to dynamic resolution is the consensus among experts. Next gen isn't going to be an fps war. Age of compute bottlenecks is behind us in most cases.

The quote talks about Raytracing as well, why you omitted it, OP?

Aceofspades

Banned
Is spreading false info allowed now?

Here I come creating a thread about " Series X is using last gen PCIe 3 standard vs PCIe 4 on PS5"

Or " Series X I/O is full off bottlenecks compared to PS5..."

or anything of this sort

Vasto

AMD put out an actual article about Series X. Nothing about PS5. :messenger_sad_relieved:

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

Another thread regurgitating an article, based on old news, with “concern” for PS5 and and hype up the XSX advantage? Yup... 🥱...

LostDonkey

I thought the PS API can use DX features they just use workarounds no? What are they called, wrappers? They emulate DX or am I way off.

Sure I remember Libgcm doing this.

Armorian

Banned

VRS on Turing is not limited to DX, I don't get how it would be on RDNA, it's part of the GPU:

BSVC0SZ.png

Chun Swae

Banned
Playstation 5 is already confirmed to have primitive shaders, which are just mesh shaders by a different name. Sony uses their own API's for Playstations so anything Direct X have will just be under a different API. Sony has VRS, since they have a patent on it which Microsoft's VRS patent cites actually.

VFXVeteran

Banned
I seriously doubt this is true. Why?

You can easily create your own API from a graphics driver (which is the #1 source for accessing the capabilities of the GPU at the lowest level). I'm pretty sure the AMD RDNA 2.0 has the functionality at the hardware level. If that is so, it's a matter of AMD helping Vulkan devs to make the API extensions.

I wouldn't worry about this.

yurinka

AMD isn't locking anything to make it MS exclusive.

These features are made using RDNA2 hardware available on Xbox, PS5 and PC (like Variable Rate Shading or Ray Tracing) through Direct X, OpenGL or Vulkan. On the software/API side, MS may use a name and Sony may use another name to do the same by using their own API/Geomery engine, OpenGL, Vulkan or whatever they plan to use on PS5 (example: PS5 calls it primitive shading on Geometry Engine, MS calls it Mesh shading, Sony using other name for Sample Feedback features, etc.).

It isn't something new, always has been like that in all consoles. MS uses its own DirectX and doesn't allow other consoles to use it. And sometimes they use their own name for the same things that the other people use with another name.

Last edited:

Bernkastel

I seriously doubt this is true. Why?

You can easily create your own API from a graphics driver (which is the #1 source for accessing the capabilities of the GPU at the lowest level). I'm pretty sure the AMD RDNA 2.0 has the functionality at the hardware level. If that is so, it's a matter of AMD helping Vulkan devs to make the API extensions.

I wouldn't worry about this.
These features are made using RDNA2 hardware available on Xbox, PS5 and PC (like Variable Rate Shading or Ray Tracing) through Direct X, OpenGL or Vulkan. On the software/API side, MS may use a name and Sony may use another name to do the same by using their own API/Geomery engine, OpenGL, Vulkan or whatever they plan to use on PS5 (example: PS5 calls it primitive shading on Geometry Engine, MS calls it Mesh shading).

It isn't something new, always has been like that in all consoles. MS uses its own DirectX and doesn't allow other consoles to use it. And sometimes they use their own name for the same things that the other people use with another name.

PS4 does not use Vulkan or OpenGL. They have their own API, GNMx and GNM. This is another misinformation I have seen people use in support of Vulkan.

If it was there, why would they not talk about it ? All we know about PS5 is through PR talks and you think they will omit that ?

Why they should. Like i said. This is all over DX 12 deja vu crap few years ago. OMG, DX 12 has the features which PS API GNMX doesn't have.

PS4 does not use Vulkan or OpenGL. They have their own API, GNMx and GNM. This is another misinformation I have seen people use in support of Vulkan.

GNMX is very similiar to Vulkan, but is a closed source.

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
Why make this thread when we already know that the PS5 supports Primitive shaders/Mesh shaders through it's geometry engine, that's just being disingenuous and spreading falsehood, your intent here is not spread proper information or engage discussion but rather to mis-inform......If you guys were so confident about the XBOX, why stoop to such levels...

PS5's geometry engine is even more advanced than your typical mesh shaders because it also culls and works on vertices....Of course there are the cache scrubbers as well.....SO PS5 has a more custom engine/hardware to do VRS and Mesh Shading...That has been detailed already...

mitchman

Gold Member
If it was there, why would they not talk about it ? All we know about PS5 is through PR talks and you think they will omit that ?
Primitive shaders = mesh shaders. There are a lot of stuff they haven't talked about, we know that from statements from developers. Edit: And the geometry engine is pretty much a VRS component.

Last edited:

yurinka

PS4 didn't support the same ones than PS3, and we don't know what is going to support PS5. We can't assume it will support -or that will only support- the same ones than PS4. Switch uses Vulkan, so maybe PS5 supports it too.

Last edited:

martino

i will give something to sony fanboys ....
they are more subtle .

Bernkastel

PS4 didn't support the same ones than PS3, so we don't know what is going to support PS5 and we can't assume it will support -or that will only support- the same ones than PS4. Switch uses Vulkan, so maybe PS5 supports it too.
Most Switch devs prefer to use NVM over Vulkan for Switch.

PS4 didn't support the same ones than PS3, and we don't know what is going to support PS5 and we can't assume it will support -or that will only support- the same ones than PS4. Switch uses Vulkan, so maybe PS5 supports it too.

It didn't like PS3 ( OpenGL ) but is very similar to Vulkan

Shin

Banned
Is spreading false info allowed now?

Seems more than fine when the diehard PlayStation fans do it by posting news from 7 months ago and spin it.
Thread title is corrected now, article is still from 7 months ago and even that got changed to a video - which is still from 7 months ago.
I often ask myself why I came to lose interest in PlayStation, only to be reminded that it's because I rather die than become like such "fans".

Top Bottom