• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD FSR 2.1 Released

Tripolygon

Banned

CHANGE IMPACT
Motion vector divergence used to diminish locked pixelsThis should alleviate ghosting issues on geometry with motion vectors not matching underlying pixel colors.
Disocclusion logic is now able to detect disocclusions in areas with only small depth separation between objects.This should alleviate ghosting issues and improve upscaling quality on some disocclusion cases.
Improved upscaled output quality by turning some half-precision computations to full precision.This should improve overall color range and temporal stability of the upscaled image produced.
Reactive Mask updates:
  • Dilation now based on input colors to avoid expanding of reactiveness into non-relevant areas of the upscaled output.
  • The full data range [0.0, 1.0] is now used.
This should alleviate ghosting issues on transparent geometry such as particles.
Composition and Transparency Mask updates:
Dilation now based on input colors to avoid expanding of lock diminishing into non-relevant areas of the upscaled output.
This should alleviate ghosting issues on geometry with motion vectors not matching underlying pixel colors.

FSR 2.0
fullsize_Farming_Simulator_FSR2-0.jpg

FSR 2.1 - very little ghosting
fullsize_Farming_Simulator_FSR2-1.jpg

It's nice to see AMD update FSR and make it better.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Bring this to consoles. Say no to drugs and native 4k games. The consoles barely have enough tflops as it is.

P.S Been playing HFW on the 4kcb 40 fps mode, and it looks remarkably close to the native 4k version. At least when standing still. Please dont waste half of the GPU on rendering pixels and push visual fidelity instead.

Last edited:

GreatnessRD

I'm impressed with the ghosting fix between 2.0 and 2.1. Hope AMD keeps at it. I think XeSS is gonna be real good, too. Soon Nvidia won't have their hat to hang on with DLSS unless we see some major improvements. Keep 'em coming, Big Corps. Competition is tasty.

//DEVIL//

While FSR 2 technology is awesome, its still not same as DLSS.

But they are close and that what matters to me anyway. I mean I honestly can't tell lots of stuff in digital foundry and in my head I am like why the f they guys are nitpicking stupid shit that is barely noticeable when they are head to head. Let alone if there was no another monitor to compare.

My problem with FSR and AMD in general are the lack of games that support FSR technology. And the Devs not updating the FSR when they patch or add dlc to their game etc.

At least with Nvidia if the dev didn't do it, all you do is replace a single DLL file in the root of the game folder and you are done

Skifi28

RDR2 updated the game yesterday with FSR2. I wonder if it's the new version.

Edit: It's artifact galore, so probably not.

Last edited:

Tripolygon

Banned
While FSR 2 technology is awesome, its still not same as DLSS.
No, it's not DLSS, its FSR 2. Lol
But they are close and that what matters to me anyway. I mean I honestly can't tell lots of stuff in digital foundry and in my head I am like why the f they guys are nitpicking stupid shit that is barely noticeable when they are head to head. Let alone if there was no another monitor to compare.
Lucky you, i hate that i can see frame drops and these issues now that i never used to notice
My problem with FSR and AMD in general are the lack of games that support FSR technology. And the Devs not updating the FSR when they patch or add dlc to their game etc.
Same games that support DLSS can also support FSR 2.
At least with Nvidia if the dev didn't do it, all you do is replace a single DLL file in the root of the game folder and you are done
Same as FSR 2, you can inject FSR 2 into DLSS games as well using the DLL since both use the same information.

Last edited:

Loxus

Wow, thats a big difference, I was looking at the top one and going: "Ah its got long rakes that extend into the dirt, farm machinery is so specifically bizarre sometimes!" 👀
Yea, big improvement.
Don't know why anyone would want FSR 2.0 on consoles with that much ghosting.

I'm glad console developers held off on FSR 2.0. Hopefully FSR 2.1 is now used for future games.

AGRacing

Gold Member
Somebody needs to get the big games using this quicker. We shouldn't get an introduction to this with f'ing farming simulator... they could have introduced this with a spider man patch or something.. get with it AMD.

daninthemix

This is great. Saints Row taught me that every game now needs high quality upscale techniques. Native is just too demanding, even for average looking games.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
How is this not on console yet. Its literally made for these weaker hardware boxes and will help provide some amazing results.

ToTTenTranz

Banned
Did anyone try to switch the DLL on FSR2.0 games/mods to see if it works and improves ghosting on those games as well?

PhoenixTank

Do we know if it's a DLL update so older games can be manually upgraded like DLSS?
Will vary. Some have it directly integrated and compiled in since it is open source, but RDR2 seems to have external DLLs. Whether they're drop in compatible for that case, IDK.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
These reconstruction techniques would make 90s games scratch their heads if you went back in time and told them... "to play games in higher resolutions you will actually play them in lower resolutions!"

Last edited:

Hugare

Good shit

Funny enough, DLSS 2.1 was the one that also solved ghosting, right?

I want to see this on console games, ASAP. We have 2.1 and havent even experienced 2.0 in a console game yet.

Continued improvement of the tech and algorithms will bring it closer to DLSS, to the point where there's not enough difference to worry.

Continued improvement of the tech and algorithms will bring it closer to DLSS, to the point where there's not enough difference to worry.
I don't know that this method has as much potential as deep-learning does, just in terms of the amount of computational power they can put into tuning the algorithm, but also right now they essentially look the same so...

I'm looking forward to seeing XeSS and its results. And whether Nvidia has any major iterations planned

ToTTenTranz

Banned
I popped this into Cyberpunk via the DLSS override method. Less ghosting in vehicles than before but still noticeable.
There's official support coming for Cyberpunk, though.
It could be that all those anti-ghosting algorithms aren't drop-in compatible with DLSS.

Last edited:

Irobot82

There's official support coming for Cyberpunk, though.
It could be that all those anti-ghosting algorithms aren't drop-in compatible with DLSS.
My thought was that CP uses some kind of AA and for the life of me I couldn't find it in the settings to turn it off. It could be turned off automatically I suppose.

splattered

Bring this to consoles. Say no to drugs and native 4k games. The consoles barely have enough tflops as it is.

P.S Been playing HFW on the 4kcb 40 fps mode, and it looks remarkably close to the native 4k version. At least when standing still. Please dont waste half of the GPU on rendering pixels and push visual fidelity instead.

It's funny how everyone celebrated 10-12tf when the consoles were announced but quickly deemed not powerful enough :/

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
We are in the middle of a golden age when it comes to all this type of stuff on the software and hardware end. We and our hardware will win.

TrebleShot

Wasn’t Sony supposed to be going with their own solution hence radio silence on their games even CP2077 not much info on the PS5 implementation just one tweet.

Top Bottom