• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD FSR 2.0 deployment reaches Unreal Engine plugin library

winjer

Gold Member

Now implementing FSR 2.0 will be much easier on games that use UE4 or UE5.
Adoption should increase significantly from now on.

TrueLegend

It will work on PS5. This thing has nothing to with Direct X12 Ultimate. It has more to do with how Sony handles things. Usually Sony always requires something on the firmware side wether it be HDR, VRR or FSR.

CamHostage

Great news. One little caveat, for now...

Known issues​

Split-screen​

Split-screen is known to render incorrectly in Unreal Engine 4 and to crash with the native DirectX® 12 and Vulkan® backends in Unreal Engine 5. This will be fixed in a future release.

Of all the issues that a tech could be saddled with, why's it gotta be that a cool new thing ends up making Split-Screen harder?!

(*Kidding, sort of, as this should be only a temporary issue, plus it does make sense why a temporal upscaling approach might have trouble with two or more separate screen divisions. But it does catch my heart a bit when I read something about split-screen these days, as it's usually a negative. So many developers have just abandoned split-screen multiplayer in games, and modern engines like Unreal have in the past a bad reputation for making split-screen hard to develop, although Gears has continued to offer splits though Gears 1-3 and even 4/5, so Epic has tried to prove it doable. Split-screen is a great feature in the right games and I hope nothing ever breaks it up.)

ZywyPL

Banned
Aren UE's TAAU/TSR much better than FSR? Seems so weird for me that anyone would eant tp ise it when there's vakready a better, built-in solution in UE4/5.

Dampf

Aren UE's TAAU/TSR much better than FSR? Seems so weird for me that anyone would eant tp ise it when there's vakready a better, built-in solution in UE4/5.
That was the case with FSR 1.0. FSR 2.0 is much better though and superior to TAAU.

Buggy Loop

That was the case with FSR 1.0. FSR 2.0 is much better though and superior to TAAU.

I think he meant Unreal’s TSR, which is very close to DLSS although with a slight worse performance. TSR should be better than FSR 2 if we consider how bad the ghost effects of it are with games like God of War.

87-DE00-B1-CAE6-4664-8145-CC6-EF2059885.jpg

TSR doesn’t do this as far as I’ve seen.

Mister Wolf

I think he meant Unreal’s TSR, which is very close to DLSS although with a slight worse performance. TSR should be better than FSR 2 if we consider how bad the ghost effects of it are with games like God of War.

Yeah we saw Unreal's TAAU vs DLSS in Ghostwire Tokyo. It holds up very well. Better than FSR 2.0

Last edited:

Diogodx

Neo Member

FireFly

That isn't regular ghosting but a disocclusion artifact that occurs when animation blocks something that was previously on screen. It's basically a worst case for FSR.

FSR actually looks pretty good with regular camera movement as Alex demonstrates in his videos.

Last edited:

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
and modern engines like Unreal have in the past a bad reputation for making split-screen hard to develop, although Gears has continued to offer splits though Gears 1-3 and even 4/5, so Epic has tried to prove it doable.
Everything is 'doable' - it's just a question of how much it costs. Sadly a lot of stacks particularly those originating in 00s were architected in ways that made things like Split Screen as painful as possible. And UE4 is not really an exception.

Banned
Fortnite has splitscreen too, the only BR from what I know that supports that... so it's more then doable, it's actually impressive.

also if this is an issue with FSR2.0, I mean there's always TSR, which actually shouldn't be much worse if at all worse than FSR2.0

daninthemix

I imagine it works on everything except a PS5. Something something Full RDNA 2.

Somebody's gonna say it, might as well get it over with now

It will work on PS5. This thing has nothing to with Direct X12 Ultimate. It has more to do with how Sony handles things. Usually Sony always requires something on the firmware side wether it be HDR, VRR or FSR.
Don't worry guys - I can confirm PS5 will be getting the poor man's DLSS.

Top Bottom