• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD FidelityFX Super Resolution (FSR) launches June 22nd

SomeGit

Someone on Reddit found out that that enabling TAAU on that game that DF tested, disables Depth of Field, which explains why the TAAU image was sharper than even native resolution since DoF blurs even the caracter on that game.

I don't know if that bails out FSR still, but it's something.

Last edited:

Armorian

Banned
DSR and VSR do the exact opposite of what FSR and DLSS do.

You might as well just use DSR and VSR alone instead of applying more vaseline to your screen.

DSR x4 costs tons of performance, enabling FSR/DLSS with it give very close IQ and much better performance.

No vaseline on the screen, look at my pictures, DSR from native 5120x2160 looks very close to DSR from 5120x2160 achieved with FSR quality, yet it almost run 2x as fast.

Hypno285

Banned
Someone on Reddit found out that that enabling TAAU on that game that DF tested, disables Depth of Field, which explains why the TAAU image was sharper than even native resolution since DoF blurs even the caracter on that game.

Okay I get it. DSR looks bad, messes up the UI, or ends up being too blurry outside of 2x and 4x DSR.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole

It's one of dozens of comparisons.

Armorian

Banned
Okay I get it. DSR looks bad, messes up the UI, or ends up being too blurry outside of 2x and 4x DSR.

Metro Exodus EE:

4x DSR (TAA)

RYx90pdT_o.png

4x DSR with DLSS Q

ZzKybvLl_o.png

Not much difference aside much higher framerate

SomeGit

I just meant dozens of examples of FSR not looking particularly good, sorry, should have been more clear.
Oh yeah, to be fair to FSR there have been some example where it looks good as well.

The TAAU comparison was the one that stood out a worse than the lot to me because it not only looked bad, it was a stark difference to it which would honestly render the tech useless if TAAU could simply do a much better job.

Banned
So, I am currently playing the first game using FSR, and I have to use it to get decent performance on my system.

I'm playing Deathloop at 1440p, using SFR Ultra Quality mode (the highest quality FSR mode you can use)

and well... it's pure trash, absolutely awful.

To compare I dropped my res to native 1080p and let my Monitor scale the image, and ot barely looked any different and actually in some scenes better.

the reason I use FSR instead of going with 1080p is that the UI looks like ass at 1080p.
Sadly the game has no option to scale the image without using FSR. I would rather use TAA + native res UI to be honest.

so yeah. first impressions using FSR are the opposite of good,
Deathloop at 1440p + Ultra Quality FSR looks like completely shit and way worse than most games I've played when using TAA to scale the image.

FSR makes the whole image look weirdly out of focus and super blurry. Aliasing is ridiculous (which could also be an issue with the TAA implementation) and you will at no point be fooled to ever think it runs at native resolution

I played Rage 2 at 1440p at 82% Resolution scaling with TAA and that looked way better in comparison

FireFly

So, I am currently playing the first game using FSR, and I have to use it to get decent performance on my system.

I'm playing Deathloop at 1440p, using SFR Ultra Quality mode (the highest quality FSR mode you can use)

Most review sites said there was a noticeable drop in sharpness at 1440p even on Ultra Quality. 4K was where it was judged to be "good enough". From what I have seen Deathloop looks to be a high contrast title, so that probably makes it worse.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion

To compare I dropped my res to native 1080p and let my Monitor scale the image, and ot barely looked any different and actually in some scenes better.

the reason I use FSR instead of going with 1080p is that the UI looks like ass at 1080p.
Sadly the game has no option to scale the image without using FSR. I would rather use TAA + native res UI to be honest.

so yeah. first impressions using FSR are the opposite of good,
Deathloop at 1440p + Ultra Quality FSR looks like completely shit and way worse than most games I've played when using TAA to scale the image.

FSR makes the whole image look weirdly out of focus and super blurry. Aliasing is ridiculous (which could also be an issue with the TAA implementation) and you will at no point be fooled to ever think it runs at native resolution

I played Rage 2 at 1440p at 82% Resolution scaling with TAA and that looked way better in comparison
This is exactly what DF and others said. The only difference is obviously HW unboxed radeon ultra shill...

Honestly bigger chance for AMD cards is Intel XeSS, which is ironic..

Banned
Most review sites said there was a noticeable drop in sharpness at 1440p even on Ultra Quality. 4K was where it was judged to be "good enough". From what I have seen Deathloop looks to be a high contrast title, so that probably makes it worse.

yeah at 4K FSR might be usable, but... like, at that res almost anything will look good enough IMO.
the difference between 2160p and 1800p on a 4K screen for example is really tiny. you will notice that it's not native but it will still look really good. so FSR can't really fuck that up too much at such high resolutions

I just wish that Deathloop had a simple resolution scale slider that doesn't depend on FSR, it sucks that it forces FSR on you -_-

Last edited:

Amiga

This is exactly what DF and others said. The only difference is obviously HW unboxed radeon ultra shill...

A broken implementation of FSR doesn't really say much about FSR.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
A broken implementation of FSR doesn't really say much about FSR.
Well, broken implementation of post-process filter is quite hard to do tho. In no game this shows any significant improvements over situation when you lower resolution and let the monitor to upscale it for you. There was an article like a month back when AMD admitted that the FSR is underwhelming.

ZywyPL

Banned

FSR at it's current state sucks for anything but one scenario - targeting 4K via quality/ultra quality mode. So it's good for consoles application, but not for 1080-1440p PC gaming.

FireFly

Well, broken implementation of post-process filter is quite hard to do tho. In no game this shows any significant improvements over situation when you lower resolution and let the monitor to upscale it for you. There was an article like a month back when AMD admitted that the FSR is underwhelming.
"I tested this using Kingshunt, an Unreal Engine 4 game. I compared native 1080p (with something like a simple bilinear upscale to 4K) up against AMD FSR in performance mode, which is also working with an internal 1080p framebuffer. Looking at in-surface detail, there isn't much difference and sub-pixel detail doesn't scale particularly well. Edge detail, though, is much, much better. This is what FSR's design is about, not inner surface quality or aliasing strictly, but identifying edges and not blindly blending between them like a simple upscaler - it preserves an edge well. So FSR is better than a standard upscale."

The RCAS algorithm also helps extract some of the detail that already exists, which you wouldn't get with a monitor upscale.

Rikkori

That's because it's not actually working in that game. If you want to test it out on an actually working game there's a free demo for Riftbreaker on Steam.

Banned
That's because it's not actually working in that game. If you want to test it out on an actually working game there's a free demo for Riftbreaker on Steam.

in what way is it not working? did they fuck up implementing it or is it just not properly working but there?

I'll download the Riftbreaker demo real quick and see if it's any better there, I sure hope so, if not this tech, at least in it's current 1.x version, is just useless

Last edited:

Banned

So I made a quick comparison image, it does look better than in Deathloop for sure, but I think that is more down to the fact that it just lends itself better to sharpening and scaling:
(this is with Raytracing on high btw... on a gtx1070... runs surprisingly well even without scaling)

FSR Ultra Quality = ~77% scale (~1108p)
FSR Quality = ~66.5% scale (~960p)
Off = 100% scale (1440p)
75% Scale = 75% scale + TAA (1080p)
comp1orjvw.png
comp3yokte.png
comp2t2jgr.png
comp4b6jox.png

EDIT:
here a 5th screenshot showing 75% resolution scale with sharpening on but FSR off
comp5leka6.png

what the new Sharpening image shows is that FSR really only sharpens the image for the most part. 1080p + sharpening + TAA looks basically on par with Quality mode, and only slightly worse than Ultra Quality. as a reminder, the sharpened image is 1080p + TAA scaled to 1440p, the FSR Ultra Quality image is ~1108p scaled to 1440p using FSR

EDIT 2: just a focused comparison image + a zoomed in version (for you mobile users out there)

comp69tknn.png

comp6zoom3pkov.png

Last edited:

Rikkori

in what way is it not working? did they fuck up implementing it or is it just not properly working but there?

I'll download the Riftbreaker demo real quick and see if it's any better there, I sure hope so, if not this tech, at least in it's current 1.x version, is just useless
There's 2 steps to FSR, the edge-enhancement part, which does work in Deathloop, and then the enhanced sharpening, which doesn't work. Due to the way it works the first step can be a bit blurrier than usual because it's supposed to work in conjunction with the sharpening, so that's why it can actually look worse than just not using it.

FSR is composed of two main passes:

• An upscaling pass called EASU (Edge-Adaptive Spatial Upsampling) that also performs edge reconstruction. In this pass the input frame is analyzed and the main part of the algorithm detects gradient reversals – essentially looking at how neighboring gradients differ – from a set of input pixels. The intensity of the gradient reversals defines the weights to apply to the reconstructed pixels at display resolution.
  • A sharpening pass called RCAS (Robust Contrast-Adaptive Sharpening) that extracts pixel detail in the upscaled image.
FSR also comes with helper functions for color space conversions, dithering, and tone mapping to assist with integrating it into common rendering pipelines used with today’s games.
FidelityFX Super Resolution passes work best in perceptual color space, and should therefore be integrated after tone mapping. Passes that introduce noise or other high-frequency visual components to the scene should be rendered after upscaling to avoid those noisy components being amplified.
fsr-diagram-dark-nobold.png

fsr_where_in_frame_source-dk.png

See article above for some image examples vs native & vs simple upscaling, at the bottom of the page.

Top Bottom