• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD FidelityFX Super Resolution (FSR) launches June 22nd

Elios83

I didn't expect much from this solution and it's still disappointing.
I guess that it might be a quick way for some developers who don't want to bother implementing their own temporal injection or checkerboarding upscaling algorithms to get decent frame rates with low native resolutions but the quality is not there, it's all blurry.

Rea

but it confirms the AMD statement.
Confirms what?
The features AMD talk about are not DX12U exclusive, AMD says the Series consoles have the AMD versions of hardware support for those features, those features will be used in the PC space which doesn't just use DX12U.
You're twisting your words just like Microsoft. Sometimes, i suspect that you work for Microsoft Xbox division.

What other features AMD talks about which is not DX12U features? DX12U is essential for Microsoft games.

Edit: think I'm done here, I'm not going to derail the thread anymore.

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT
Confirms what?

You're twisting your words just like Microsoft. Sometimes, i suspect that you work for Microsoft Xbox division.

What other features AMD talks about which is not DX12U features? DX12U is essential for Microsoft games.

Edit: think I'm done here, I'm not going to derail the thread anymore.

It confirms the hardware support for the features AMD said, we see Tier 2 VRS in Xbox games, we have the Metro Dev confirming it so we can presume the same is true for SFS and Mesh Shaders as per the AMD statement.

Rea

It confirms the hardware support for the features AMD said, we see Tier 2 VRS in Xbox games, we have the Metro Dev confirming it so we can presume the same is true for SFS and Mesh Shaders as per the AMD statement.
Those are still DX12U features. My gosh.
VRS 2.0 is still VRS. VRS is DX12U
features.

xWere1i.gif

Riky

$MSFT
Those are still DX12U features. My gosh.
VRS 2.0 is still VRS. VRS is DX12U
features.

xWere1i.gif
VRS was used in Modern Warfare in 2019, so no. The tweets above say Metro used it on PS4.

Last edited:
  • LOL
Reactions: Rea

Kumomeme

while people here still debating about features available in both consoles, i curious about what this open source nature FSR could bring to gaming landscape in coming years. while it is obvious that DLSS would be gamechanger for new Nintendo Switch, imagine if someone able to utilize this features on other portable handheld like GDP Win, Aya Neo, SmachZ or even the rumoured upcoming Valve's handheld gaming device.

might be even on gaming phone. who know right?

hows the performance it is another matter...but it is interesting to see.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Wishing they had also compared to running native at whatever the base resolution is for the different FSR modes. Would have been good to compare that visually and see what performance cost was associated with FSR.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Why are we talking here about some RDNA shit? I am glad that I made legit thread yesterday instead of whatever is this...

Kenpachii

So the PS5 is RDNA 1 or RDNA 1.5 and is keeping up with the Xbox RDNA 2? Or both are RDNA 2 like AMD says? Honestly if games runs well and they make awesome or good games i don´t care what it is.

U don't understand what he says.

PS5 is still RNDA2, it lacks just features. that's what he says.

However lacking features does not mean its inferior becasue they could have stripped out features that were not needed or replaced by other solutions they found more useful.

Last edited:

Kholinar

Banned

He has no idea about the inner workings of the PS5. This dude has no authority to make such presumptuous claims at all. His fucking Twitter account name is JettSeriesX - he's just another fanboy trying to spread FUD.

And PS5 doesn't have dedicated RT cores? Well, neither does the Series X because RDNA 2 doesn't use RT Cores.

VRS was already confirmed to be inferior to the Geometry Engine by the PS5's former principal software engineer:

2.jpg

And anyone making definitive statements about the PS5's mesh shaders or lack thereof without being an actual source of authority for the PS5 are just trying to spread FUD.

How did this thread devolve into people posting takes from rando console warriors on Twitter? Is that where you guys get all your console war ammo? I already caught two people parrotting Twitter nonsense copy-paste style. Can you just stop? :messenger_beaming:

GHG

Gold Member
Why are we talking here about some RDNA shit? I am glad that I made legit thread yesterday instead of whatever is this...

Only a matter of time before that thread gets invaded with that shit as well unfortunately.

martino

He has no idea about the inner workings of the PS5. This dude has no authority to make such presumptuous claims at all. His fucking Twitter account name is JettSeriesX - he's just another fanboy trying to spread FUD.

And PS5 doesn't have dedicated RT cores? Well, neither does the Series X because RDNA 2 doesn't use RT Cores.

VRS was already confirmed to be inferior to the Geometry Engine by the PS5's former principal software engineer:

2.jpg

And anyone making definitive statements about the PS5's mesh shaders or lack thereof without being an actual source of authority for the PS5 are just trying to spread FUD.
5btrhk.jpg

Last edited:

llien

A hint on how AMD's MCM GPUs might work:

Oh boy, the green meltdowns will eclipse what happened when 6900XT hit.

V-Cache is AMD's first implementation of TSMC's 3DFabric technology, allowing them to stack 64MB of L3 cache directly on top of a Zen 3 CCD, effectively tripling the available L3 cache. This means a whopping 192MB of cache for Ryzen 9 CPUs (64MB L3 base + 2 CCDs), and presumably up to 96MB for the rest of their lineup (though no CPUs have officially been announced; only a 5900X prototype was shown). AMD is reporting an average 15% FPS boost compared to a regular 5900X (both locked to 4 GHz), including a 25% average boost in Monster Hunter World. Article on V-Cache here.

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
For someone who claims to have me on ignore you quote a lot of my posts🤣

No actual relevant discussion from you as usual.
And what was your relevant discussion about? Outside sponsor Xbox console? You don't have a single of clue of what you are talking about and quite ignorant about any tech side aspect. You just parroting some PR sentence take here and there, nothing more. You sell VRS hardware as a revolutionary feature when it's just a low precision effect to save perfomance. You talk about machine learning when nothing on series X hardware is about ML, it just has more CU to help it but not true hardware resources build to it.
And as always laughing gif. So predictable and idiotic. Unbelievable how embarrass yourself everytime you post something, it's practically impossible to you have any kinda of intelligent discussion because you perfectly know to have a limited knowledge and the only thing you are able to do it's instigate.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
A hint on how AMD's MCM GPUs might work:

Oh boy, the green meltdowns will eclipse what happened when 6900XT hit.

V-Cache is AMD's first implementation of TSMC's 3DFabric technology, allowing them to stack 64MB of L3 cache directly on top of a Zen 3 CCD, effectively tripling the available L3 cache. This means a whopping 192MB of cache for Ryzen 9 CPUs (64MB L3 base + 2 CCDs), and presumably up to 96MB for the rest of their lineup (though no CPUs have officially been announced; only a 5900X prototype was shown). AMD is reporting an average 15% FPS boost compared to a regular 5900X (both locked to 4 GHz), including a 25% average boost in Monster Hunter World. Article on V-Cache here.

I’m sure the green team will be absolutely butthurt when they have a faster Ryzen CPU to pair with their Nvidia GPU.

llien

a faster Ryzen CPU
Oh, you sweet summer child...

But MCM GPU refers to, wait for it: a GPU.

FrankieSab

And what was your relevant discussion about? Outside sponsor Xbox console? You don't have a single of clue of what you are talking about and quite ignorant about any tech side aspect. You just parroting some PR sentence take here and there, nothing more. You sell VRS hardware as a revolutionary feature when it's just a low precision effect to save perfomance. You talk about machine learning when nothing on series X hardware is about ML, it just has more CU to help it but not true hardware resources build to it.
And as always laughing gif. So predictable and idiotic. Unbelievable how embarrass yourself everytime you post something, it's practically impossible to you have any kinda of intelligent discussion because you perfectly know to have a limited knowledge and the only thing you are able to do it's instigate.
All fanboys from both sides do that, parroting some nonsense that they read somewhere. XBOX is using hardware ML to do auto HDR on old games that do not have HDR.

welshrat

Jeez came to this thread thinking I might see some info about FSR like I had been reading elsewhere but no, its filled with console warrior shit as always. Really really sad, I am genuinely interested what makes you so interested in fighting a side of a mass produced bit of hardware that will be superseded by pro variants in 3 - 4 years ? Do you not enjoy gaming ? Really weird.

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
So unlike the gaming community to attempt to draw conclusions from a 4 minute reveal of brand new software that no one has seen or used in the wild.

Pagusas

Elden Member
That is actually impressive. Source?

Really? I thought the exact opposite. The ground has lost a lot of its detail. This isn't DLSS 2 where details are brought out, its more like DLSS 1 where its almost like a blur filter is turned on.. Regardless the important comparison is seeing things in motion, will wait and hope AMD made something good here

Last edited:

FrankieSab

So unlike the gaming community to attempt to draw conclusions from a 4 minute reveal of brand new software that no one has seen or used in the wild.
Yes, and misunderstanding the PC requirements of the development tool to run the demo. Thinking it was the requirements for the demo binary. Famous Neogaf members are quilty of that...!

So i found the source, it isnt FSR, but TSR, Unreal engine 5's Temporal Super Resolution. Works completely different from FSR and on paper sounds pretty great to me.

Resolution: From -> toComparison linkPerformance
720p ->1440pTAA vs TSR81 FPS vs 79 FPS
720p ->1440pNative 1440p vs TSR44 FPS vs 79 FPS
1080p ->1440pTAA vs TSR61 FPS vs 58 FPS
1080p ->1440pNative 1440p vs TSR44 FPS vs 58 FPS
2880p -> 1440p (downscale)Native 1440p vs 2880p44 FPS vs 14 FPS

Upsides:
Very small performance hit
No exotic hardware requirements (works even with Vega)
Excellent temporal stability and no flickering on faraway objects with complex geometry
Looks considerably better than TAA, particularly on the edges of faraway objects. 720p TSR sometimes even beats 1080p TAA (definitely so in motion)

Negatives:

Still bugs and artifacts on moving objects/characters
Nanite can reduce geometry detail (up to 4x when doing 50% upscaling), since it strives to show about 1 polygon per pixel and doesn’t account for upscaling. It’s similar to the bugs DigitalFoundry has mentioned with LODs.

Pagusas

Elden Member
So i found the source, it isnt FSR, but TSR, Unreal engine 5's Temporal Super Resolution. Works completely different from FSR and on paper sounds pretty great to me.

Resolution: From -> toComparison linkPerformance
720p ->1440pTAA vs TSR81 FPS vs 79 FPS
720p ->1440pNative 1440p vs TSR44 FPS vs 79 FPS
1080p ->1440pTAA vs TSR61 FPS vs 58 FPS
1080p ->1440pNative 1440p vs TSR44 FPS vs 58 FPS
2880p -> 1440p (downscale)Native 1440p vs 2880p44 FPS vs 14 FPS

Upsides:
Very small performance hit
No exotic hardware requirements (works even with Vega)
Excellent temporal stability and no flickering on faraway objects with complex geometry
Looks considerably better than TAA, particularly on the edges of faraway objects. 720p TSR sometimes even beats 1080p TAA (definitely so in motion)

Negatives:

Still bugs and artifacts on moving objects/characters
Nanite can reduce geometry detail (up to 4x when doing 50% upscaling), since it strives to show about 1 polygon per pixel and doesn’t account for upscaling. It’s similar to the bugs DigitalFoundry has mentioned with LODs.

If i recall doesnt TSR use motion vectors? Very promising if so.

llien

Anti-lag exists for years on Nvidia cards. It was under "number of pre rendered frames". Just some time ago they change the name to "low latency".
NV's answer to Radeon Anti-Lag (doing exactly the same) is "Reflex", but gud story bruh.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
That other place.

Oh boy...

From Death Stranding, from images hyped into oblivion, bush over dude's head:

JT7ryel.png

This is after DLSS QUALITY (so, 1440p > 4k upscale, Epic's example is 1080p > 4k)

CEN8wpL.png

people are mistaking improved lines (NV made the best TAA derivative we have, lines are great) for something else.
I also like these pictures from same source:

CAS:
15081924422l.jpg

DLSS 2.0
15081924851l.jpg

So DLSS 2.0 > everything.

DLSS 2.0 in Death Stranding - Nvidia 4K Performance Trump Card | DLSS VS AMD FidelityFX CAS | Software | OC3D Review (overclock3d.net)

This is now platform warring thread, right?

Last edited:

llien

So DLSS 2.0

So lack of reading comprehension skills, it hurts.

When your effect improves lines, adds blurs/loses texture finesse, it will excel where you have lines, but lack any texture that you can detect loss off detail in. As in, wait for it, IN THE VERY EXAMPLE just presented above.

And, the best of it, this is an example of how great the glorified TAA derivative in question is.

That other place.

Oh boy...

From Death Stranding, from images hyped into oblivion, bush over dude's head:

JT7ryel.png

This is after DLSS QUALITY (so, 1440p > 4k upscale, Epic's example is 1080p > 4k)

CEN8wpL.png

people are mistaking improved lines (NV made the best TAA derivative we have, lines are great) for something else.

Its seems you are being a bit deceptive. Maybe it is just me. I'll let others decide.

CAS
15082340652l.jpg

DLSS
15082340127l.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom