• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD FidelityFX Super Resolution 2 Finally Available for PC and Xbox Developers

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Ps5 uses it in forspoken right so it's obviously already available on ps5.

Microsoft and AMD have just added it to their development kit environment which is amazing news.
Yep, I never understood why someone saying "hey I have that " means that the other automatically doesn't....That's just some console war bullshit.
If I tell you I have an oven at home, does it mean you don't have one?
....Except HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 that bastard has a woodfire oven for pizzas....
jealous bbc one GIF by BBC

Darsxx82

You are making statements that PS5 isn't going to benefit from this tech as much as Xbox. There is no reason to believe that.
Correct

I don't think anyone can be appraisal on this issue of FSR 2.0 on consoles. But if you can take a look at the results on different PCs and it turns out that the performance varies between them.

-FSR 2.0 performs better on Nvidia than on AMD (LOL, but real)

-FSR 2.0 performs noticeably better on RDNA 2 GPUs than on RDNA 1 and better on RDNA1 than previous ones.

-FSR 2.0 performs better on GPUs with more CUs.

A priori it could mean that FSR 2 would get slightly better performance on XSX than on PS5 and that XSS would benefit to a much lesser extent than those.

However we do not know if the optimization in the different APIs can also make a difference. Maybe, PS5 API IS more friendly than GDK or vice versa ??

Therefore, before making any kind of statement for one side or the other, it is better to wait and see results in the games with FSR 2 when they are released.

Right now, this news just means that FSR 2 is fully integrated into the Xbox GDK and available to developers.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Correct

I don't think anyone can be appraisal on this issue of FSR 2.0 on consoles. But if you can take a look at the results on different PCs and it turns out that the performance varies between them.

-FSR 2.0 performs better on Nvidia than on AMD (LOL, but real)

-FSR 2.0 performs noticeably better on RDNA 2 GPUs than on RDNA 1 and better on RDNA1 than previous ones.

-FSR 2.0 performs better on GPUs with more CUs.

A priori it could mean that FSR 2 would get slightly better performance on XSX than on PS5 and that XSS would benefit to a much lesser extent than those.

However we do not know if the optimization in the different APIs can also make a difference. Maybe, PS5 API IS more friendly than GDK or vice versa ??

Therefore, before making any kind of statement for one side or the other, it is better to wait and see results in the games with FSR 2 when they are released.

Right now, this news just means that FSR 2 is fully integrated into the Xbox GDK and available to developers.

I think that is a fair assessment. It definitely makes more sense to point to CU count rather than RDNA 2 feature sets. Ultimately, I think multiplat games that utilize FSR 2.0 will be our only real basis for comparisons, like always.

Darsxx82

Doesn't FSR 2.0 performs better on GPUs with higher clocks too? Why would it perform better on GPUs with less CUs?

I can't answer your question because there are no GPUs of the same architecture on PCs that go at a lower frequency with more CUs for comparison. (the ones I've seen at least)

Comparing different architectures is meaningless and this just tells you that RDNA 2 is better than RDNA 1 regardless of frequencies.

So, that being said, it's best to see results on consoles before making any claims.

Darsxx82

I think that is a fair assessment. It definitely makes more sense to point to CU count rather than RDNA 2 feature sets. Ultimately, I think multiplat games that utilize FSR 2.0 will be our only real basis for comparisons, like always.
My bet is (and hopefully I'm wrong) that FSR2 on consoles is not going to be as frequent or widely used as the results vary between games and graphics engines and in many cases other options may be better for the developer.

For example, in games with UE5 surely TSR AA is going to be better than other options...and that already greatly limits the number of games where you can see FSR 2.0 on consoles.

We will see.

Last edited:

YCoCg

Best part about this is that people can contribute to this to make it better, so further down the line who knows how much better this will get from free code contributions alone, 2.01 is already said to be a decent-ish improvement over the first release.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
My bet is (and hopefully I'm wrong) that FSR2 on consoles is not going to be as frequent or widely used as the results vary between games and graphics engines and in many cases other options may be better for the developer.

For example, in games with UE5 surely TSAA is going to be better than other options...and that already greatly limits the number of games where you can see FSR 2.0 on consoles.

We will see.
And a lot of inhouse proprietary engines (1st party) use their own bespoke solutions built in.

JimboJones

I’m assuming there is no reason why PS5 can’t use it. MS have a marketing deal for it?
It's up to Sony to implement it into their SDKs if they haven't already.
Maybe they won't because it will be widely available via unreal engine anyway or they think developers will just pick up the slack and integrate it themselves.🤷🏼‍♂️

sircaw

Banned
LMAO. The concern trolling is strong with this. You literally do not need RDNA 2 GPU for the "full effects" of FSR 2.0, heck the tweet you posted even lists "Xbox One" in there. That means even last-gen consoles and older (DX11) PC GPUs are capable of supporting the feature. Also, Forspoken on PS5 gets FSR 2.0 implementation along with PC:

soprano-get-the-fuck-outta-here.gif

You tell em Ray. :messenger_heart:

GO RAY GO, GO RAY GO

Ozriel

M$FT
Apparently, people can’t read

The OP is a tweet specifically about FSR2.0 being integrated into Microsoft’s game development stack. Why would the PS5 be cited there?

Of course PS5 supports FSR 2.0. It’s GPU agnostic, has nothing to do with ‘RDNA2 implementation’ and it’s already on record that Forspoken on PS5 will support the tech.

Platform warring stays destroying every single thread.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Apparently, people can’t read

The OP is a tweet specifically about FSR2.0 being integrated into Microsoft’s game development stack. Why would the PS5 be cited there?

Of course PS5 supports FSR 2.0. It’s GPU agnostic, has nothing to do with ‘RDNA2 implementation’ and it’s already on record that Forspoken on PS5 will support the tech.

Platform warring stays destroying every single thread.​

Bryan Cranston Mic Drop GIF

Last edited:

soulbait

How the hell did this turn in a console war post? Ya'll just celebrate new tech coming to PC and Box. You can speculate if it is available for PS5 or not (probably will be), but what does it matter? New tech is cool either way. No need to argue or compare checkboxes to prove which is better.

It is so dumb.

sncvsrtoip

The artice mentioning fsr 2 in ps5 forspoken was based on interview/video in which this sentence wasnt told ;d (tough possible it will be fsr2 in ps5 forspoken)

CamHostage

Yep, I never understood why someone saying "hey I have that " means that the other automatically doesn't....That's just some console war bullshit.

Right, it's frustrating that AMD does list Xbox but then doesn't list PS for whatever reason they use that approach in their marketing, which leads to confusion...but it's a "we do this" comment, not a "we don't do this" comment. It's up to us to the extra legwork, but unfortunately the panic and outrage and gloating is easier than the research.

What's weirder is that the first retail game to have FidelityFX SR2 is likely to be Forspoken, which is not only coming to PS5 but as of now is not coming to Xbox Series, so the news is out there. I don't know if it's by partnership that AMD only mentions Xbox or if it's official global integration of the SDK (although PCs don't have SDKs, so...) versus availability of developers to individually implement it, or what's holding AMD's tongue, but it's not too hard to get the full picture here. (And thank you for the commenters who quickly reminded us of the Forspoken use, as otherwise there's not a lot else to go on yet... but no reason to flip the table or take a victory lap either.)

Last edited:

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Right, it's frustrating that AMD does list Xbox but then doesn't list PS for whatever reason they use that approach in their marketing, which leads to confusion...but it's a "we do this" comment, not a "we don't do this" comment. It's up to us to the extra legwork, but unfortunately the panic and outrage and gloating is easier than the research.

What's weirder is that the first retail game to have FidelityFX SR2 is likely to be Forsaken, which is not only coming to PS5 but as of now is not coming to Xbox Series, so the news is out there. I don't know if it's by partnership that AMD only mentions Xbox or if it's official global integration of the SDK (although PCs don't have SDKs, so...) versus availability of developers to individually implement it, or what's holding AMD's tongue, but it's not too hard to get the full picture here. (And thank you for the commenters who quickly reminded us of the Forsaken use, as otherwise there's not a lot else to go on yet... but no reason to flip the table or take a victory lap either.)
Totally agree there, except the game is Forspoken but other than that right on.
But you know there will always be some warrior that are adamant that the ps5 isn't rdna 2 or suited for FSR2.0 or even capable of raytracing...
Just like some will shit on other consoles but sometimes it feels to a lesser degree.

Tripolygon

Banned
No marketing, this is just integrated directly into the Xbox development kits. Easy and immediate access to anyone developing games on it.
This is how easy and immediate it is to access it right now if you want, on github you don't need XDK to get access to it. It is an HLSL source release which is how these tools are created before porting to other APIs and platforms. PSSL is very close to HLSL which means it does not require even a little more work. Just changing some semantics.

GPU Open website https://gpuopen.com/fidelityfx-superresolution-2/
Github : https://github.com/GPUOpen-Effects/FidelityFX-FSR2
Documentation: https://github.com/GPUOpen-Effects/FidelityFX-FSR2/blob/master/README.md

The artice mentioning fsr 2 in ps5 forspoken was based on interview/video in which this sentence wasnt told ;d (tough possible it will be fsr2 in ps5 forspoken)

It is not a "possibility", it will use FSR 2.0. There is nothing preventing it from using FSR2.0, it is literally platform agnostic and easy to implement. it is literally the same API across every hardware and platform. All that is needed is for a platform to provide a backend function call or for an engine to just integrate it without needing a specific platform function call.

Modular backend

The design of the FSR2 API means that the core implementation of the FSR2 algorithm is unaware upon which rendering API it sits. Instead, FSR2 calls functions provided to it through an interface, allowing different backends to be used with FSR2. This design also allows for applications integrating FSR2 to provide their own backend implementation, meaning that platforms which FSR2 does not currently support may be targeted by implementing a handful of functions. Moreover, applications which have their own rendering abstractions can also implement their own backend, taking control of all aspects of FSR2's underlying function, including memory management, resource creation, shader compilation, shader resource bindings, and the submission of FSR2 workloads to the graphics device.

ocRvmM5.jpg

Right, it's frustrating that AMD does list Xbox but then doesn't list PS for whatever reason
It is not marketing; it was created targeting Windows and DX HLSL so it makes sense that they will announce windows and Xbox Support. Both windows and Xbox support that inherently, all the GPUs on the market support that. Sony's proprietary APIs are not consumer facing so there is no need to announce support even if the same tools and API will work on PlayStation hardware.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
It is not marketing; it was created targeting Windows and DX HLSL so it makes sense that they will announce windows and Xbox Support. Both windows and Xbox support that inherently, all the GPUs on the market support that. Sony's proprietary APIs are not consumer facing so there is no need to announce support even if the same tools and API will work on PlayStation hardware.
That's an interesting and perfectly logical explanation there.

My friends, please understand: it's not listed for PS5 because the PS5 uses FSR 3.0 which is far superior to the current FSR 2.0 implementations by a factor of 5 ("five"). As a result all games (PS5, five) due Q3 2022 and later will use this new tech.

This, of course, is the most reasonable explanation and not the fact that this is simply a marketing ploy in the vein of full RDNA 2 vs RDNA 1.5/ S more powerful than the PS5 etc.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
AMD Fidelity FX has already been available to devs for a while, but this newer more advanced version has just launched
So God of War will be updated again?
I can't answer your question because there are no GPUs of the same architecture on PCs that go at a lower frequency with more CUs for comparison. (the ones I've seen at least)

Comparing different architectures is meaningless and this just tells you that RDNA 2 is better than RDNA 1 regardless of frequencies.

So, that being said, it's best to see results on consoles before making any claims.
Can't underclock/undervolt one?

Last edited:

Vognerful

Can someone provide a source for this? Because I remember that fsr 2.0 implementation was advertised on the PC release.

sncvsrtoip

It is not a "possibility", it will use FSR 2.0. There is nothing preventing it from using FSR2.0, it is literally platform agnostic and easy to implement. it is literally the same API across every hardware and platform. All that is needed is for a platform to provide a backend function call or for an engine to just integrate it without needing a specific platform function call.

ocRvmM5.jpg

Imo its possibility as sony doesnt have yet official support for it and as I understand developers have to spend additional time to make "applicaton's own backend"

Vognerful

Wasn't there also an interview with the technical director talking about FSR 2.0?

At the 1:40 mark it only makes mention of FSR1.0

I watched that clip. I thought that when they were talking about consoles or PS5, they guy was only talking about loading time.

Even at the point where he said AMD graphics technology will be available on PC and PS5, he immediately talked about graphics options on PC, without mentioning PS5.

Oh, and here is the GDC interview.

Ozriel

M$FT
Pledged, not donated, that's not my question.

You know that tingly feeling you get when you understand the reference ?

Yeah 😀

What's weirder is that the first retail game to have FidelityFX SR2 is likely to be Forspoken, which is not only coming to PS5 but as of now is not coming to Xbox Series, so the news is out there. I don't know if it's by partnership that AMD only mentions Xbox or if it's official global integration of the SDK (although PCs don't have SDKs, so...) versus availability of developers to individually implement it, or what's holding AMD's tongue, but it's not too hard to get the full picture here. (And thank you for the commenters who quickly reminded us of the Forspoken use, as otherwise there's not a lot else to go on yet... but no reason to flip the table or take a victory lap either.)

This is basically announcing the GDK integration to developers. Impossible to list the PS5 in this scenario.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
I watched that clip. I thought that when they were talking about consoles or PS5, they guy was only talking about loading time.

Even at the point where he said AMD graphics technology will be available on PC and PS5, he immediately talked about graphics options on PC, without mentioning PS5.

Oh, and here is the GDC interview.

I think it is more worth talking about pc options because there's more variety, just like with the direct storage feature.But nothing he said suggest a lack of FSR 2.0 on the ps5.

Wasn't there also an interview with the technical director talking about FSR 2.0?
Found it

The only mention of PS5 was when he was talking about load times at around the 2:30 mark. He did say FSR would be available on PS5 and PC, but it wasn't specified if that meant FSR2.0

Last edited:

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Found it

The only mention of PS5 was when he was talking about loud times at around the 2:30 mark. He did say FSR would be available on PS5 and PC, but it wasn't specified if that meant FSR2.0

I think it was pretty clear that it was FSR 2.0 even though that was FSR 1 footage (because fsr2.0 is still in dev) but they only mention FSR 2.0, so it may have been redundant to keep mentionning which version every time.

GHG

Gold Member
One company turns technical/API features into PR ammunition whereas the other just quietly let's them tick along in the background in order to let the games do the talking. Therefore the latter company must not have access to said features despite them already being confirmed to be in use along with the fact they are open source.

Home Chilling GIF by Aadyam

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Top Bottom