• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD confirms that RDNA3 7000 series of graphic cards are launching this year

I really thought the 6000 series was solid enough to keep going for a while longer. I'm expecting a paper launch followed by a couple of years of fighting bots for a chance to buy a card. I'll stick with my current setup until the wheels fall off.

GreatnessRD

I live in the US and have been trying to get one since release day. Literally any one of the 6000 series. I wanted a 6800xt or a 6900 but had to give up and get a Nvidia card since I couldn't get an AMD. I'm subscribed to those Twitter bots that inform you of stock drops. The few times I've gotten a message that they were in stock, by the time I pulled up the website (never more than a few minutes) they were gone.

I built two PC's in 2021. I wanted one with an AMD and one with a Nvidia GPU. Instead I have a 3090 and a 3070ti. The only cards I could get a hold of. Both founders editions. I should mention I only wanted the founders/reference editions.

I do not live near a microcenter. I'm happy with my cards don't get me wrong, it's just not what I wanted.
Haha, that's nuts man. I was in the same boat as you. I'd only ever owned Nvidia cards and wanted to give AMD a try, but my first card when I built this current PC was a 3060 Ti I got at launch in Dec '20. Then in June of '21, I was able to snag a reference Midnight Black 6800 XT as I've never owned one of the Highend cards before. It's an amazing cards and I have few complaints. I'm calling it now, you'll get one of those 4000 series cards and on launch. *Firm handshake*
You are right. Time is flying. But I hope they don't release anything now because the software isn't even caught up with the hardware yet. I can see a next-year release but I don't think it's going to be a big jump like the 2x-3x was. We'll see.
Tech gotta keep moving, friend. And I think the cadence for GPUs as of late has always been on a 2 year cycle for the new stuff to come out with a refresh in the second year. Same with CPUs having a yearly drop. But AMD has to drop something anyway because they need a RayTracing competitor since that's all the rage for people these days. It's like folks don't know Raytracing bring even the flagship cards to their knees, but no one bats an eye, lol

Marlenus

I am really looking forward to seeing how well RDNA 3 performs.

N31 and N32 are looking like 5nm MCM designs and N33 is a 6nm design that should be on par with the 6900XT performance wise.

Don't expect cheap though. if 2.5x raster is true for N31 > N21 then expect the 7900XT or whatever they name the top card to be $2,000 or so. I can see N33 coming in at $600 ish as well if the performance is 6900XT level as the rumours state so price/perf won't move that much either if you are comparing MSRP to MSRP.

Dream-Knife

Banned
You know, I have seen this comparison before but a part of me makes me really wonder. Since I have not seen data that matches this. In fact, even many of the sources like gamers nexus and even hardware unboxed often have the 6800 and 6800xt beating their rivals in rasterization at 1440p on a game average scale. I know this picture is more referring to RT but we still at a point where RT is more of something to try to justify the purchase and not really that justifiable if you want high frames(100fps+). The compromise for something you aren't even sure you will notice isn't worth it right now. Maybe with the next gen of hardware.
It's more of a game by game basis. 6800 is 10% faster than a 3070, and 3% for a 3070ti. 6800xt is 15% faster than a 6800, and 3% slower than a 3080. 6900xt is 6% faster than a 3080, and 7% slower than a 3090.

AMDs drivers over the first half of last year significantly improved the performance, with a 1500-2000 point jump in the GPU score on timespy. I'm sure the same thing is happening on the nvidia side too though.

With the way games have been launching recently, you're not getting 100 fps + with anything.

GymWolf

I don't care for rtx but they need something as good as dlss or i'm not gonna even bother checking their offer.

Edit: lol who i'm kidding, i'm gonna buy whatever they put on the shelf if series 4000 is gonna have absurd prices or no availability:messenger_expressionless:

Last edited:

manfestival

It's more of a game by game basis. 6800 is 10% faster than a 3070, and 3% for a 3070ti. 6800xt is 15% faster than a 6800, and 3% slower than a 3080. 6900xt is 6% faster than a 3080, and 7% slower than a 3090.

AMDs drivers over the first half of last year significantly improved the performance, with a 1500-2000 point jump in the GPU score on timespy. I'm sure the same thing is happening on the nvidia side too though.

With the way games have been launching recently, you're not getting 100 fps + with anything.
Yeah AMD have really improved their performance. Some weird bugs here and there. I recently went back to AMD with the 6800xt only because it was the one card I could get my hands on. Initially I had disappointment but I game at 1440p. Which if I was playing at 4k then it would not suffice for the titles that I want to play. I had a 2080 before and ray tracing was always such a joke to me. Could barely ever notice the difference. I am sure a game like cyberpunk has a difference but that is like maybe 1-2 games.. period.

Yeah game optimization is a joke these days. Release first, fix later.

DaGwaphics

I live in the US and have been trying to get one since release day. Literally any one of the 6000 series. I wanted a 6800xt or a 6900 but had to give up and get a Nvidia card since I couldn't get an AMD. I'm subscribed to those Twitter bots that inform you of stock drops. The few times I've gotten a message that they were in stock, by the time I pulled up the website (never more than a few minutes) they were gone.

I built two PC's in 2021. I wanted one with an AMD and one with a Nvidia GPU. Instead I have a 3090 and a 3070ti. The only cards I could get a hold of. Both founders editions. I should mention I only wanted the founders/reference editions.

I do not live near a microcenter. I'm happy with my cards don't get me wrong, it's just not what I wanted.

Have you tried NewEgg? They seem to always have the full 6000 series in stock, just at exaggerated prices. I found the Nvidia cards a lot harder to find, which would be my preference if I was buying.

Big difference from:

That 3050 for $440. LOL

Last edited:

YCoCg

You are right. Time is flying. But I hope they don't release anything now because the software isn't even caught up with the hardware yet. I can see a next-year release but I don't think it's going to be a big jump like the 2x-3x was. We'll see.
Dying Light 2 can't be played at 4k60 with all RT features and highest settings. We need something to tame it!

Have you tried NewEgg? They seem to always have the full 6000 series in stock, just at exaggerated prices. I found the Nvidia cards a lot harder to find, which would be my preference if I was buying.

Big difference from:

That 3050 for $440. LOL
I'm only looking for the reference cards, I love the clean designs of AMD and Nvidia in house cards and I'm willing to give up any performance differences, but thanks anyway.

8BiTw0LF

Banned
I'm beginning to get aggrevated at these "GPU" companies. Like how hard is it to make a fucking webshop for your own cards, so you can battle scalpers and keep MSRP?! - Not that hard!

DaGwaphics

I'm beginning to get aggrevated at these "GPU" companies. Like how hard is it to make a fucking webshop for your own cards, so you can battle scalpers and keep MSRP?! - Not that hard!

The AIBs have sites, they should have gone with some kind of raffle system rather than waiting lists. At least earmark a small percentage for the average Joes.

Haggard

Banned
But for the near future, AMD gonna dominate the market in both CPUs & GPUs for having the best silicon in the market right now, TSMC's 5nm N5P.
We´ll see what they can do on the CPU side.
In the GPU realm....nope, not gonna happen. Nvidia isn`t sitting on their laurels like Intel did and they have a huge headstart in ML and RT functionality, no way AMD can just catch up in one gen.

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
More power is great, but what I really want from the next generation is better efficiency. That means no triple slot coolers and triple 8 pin power connectors and crazy power requirements. Like back in the Turing/Pascal days.

Top Bottom