• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD CEO: Ryzen CPUs Now Account To More Than 50% Premium Processor Sales Globally, Strong Demand For Ryzen 3000 & Ryzen 2000 CPUs

thelastword

Banned
In its recent earnings call, AMD's CEO, Dr.Lisa Su, stated that Ryzen CPUs now accounts for 50% of the premium processors sales globally. The figure is based on statistics from various top etailers around the globe and for months now, we have been seeing Ryzen CPUs dominating the top sales charts due to stellar performance, efficiency, and value.

AMD Ryzen CPUs Top Premium Sales Charts Globally, More Than 50% Share For AMD CPUs Versus Intel

There's no doubt that Intel has been wiped off several major retailers since the arrival of 3rd Gen Ryzen CPUs. We have seen AMD CPUs not only topping the sales and recommended charts but the same CPUs have accounted for almost 90% of total CPU sales at major retailers. Lisa states that the Ryzen CPUs account for a 50% share of premium processor sales at several top-tier retailers across the globe.

In desktop, overall demand for our latest Ryzen 3000 and prior generation Ryzen 2000 processor families was strong, both of which continue to top retailer best seller lists and have more than 50% share of premium processor sales at many top global e-tailers. via AMD's Q1 2020 Earnings Call Transcript at The Motley Fool

We have seen AMD Ryzen 3rd and 2nd Gen Desktop CPUs get some seriously impressive deals over the past few months. Deals such as the Ryzen 9 3900X on sale for just $399 US offering 12 cores and 24 threads, the Ryzen 7 3700X offering 8 cores and 16 threads for just $289.99 US or the Ryzen 5 3600 with 6 cores and 12 threads for just $169.99 US have generated massive sales at top retail outlets.

The 3rd Generation Ryzen CPUs also currently make up the 9 of the top ten best selling CPUs over at Amazon. The Ryzen 5 3600 stays as the top-selling chip at its current price of $162 US which is very impressive, followed by the 8 core Ryzen 7 3700X. Even the Ryzen 9 3900X retains 4th position which is pretty amazing considering this is a top-tier $400 US+ processor.

What makes this more impressive is the fact that AMD is also acknowledging that 2nd Gen Ryzen CPU sales also have a huge role in achieving the 50%+ share. The AMD Ryzen 5 2600X and Ryzen 7 2700X were recently on sale for jaw-dropping prices of $99 US and $129.99 US, respectively. That is $99 US for a 6 core, 12 thread, and $129 US for an 8 core and 16 thread chip which is still very competitive versus Intel's 8th and 9th Gen (Coffee Lake) lineup.

The European Hardware Association also revealed that around 60% of tech enthusiasts now prefer an AMD CPU over an Intel. Also, the vast majority of AMD users prefer NVIDIA graphics cards over AMD Radeon offerings. This is mainly due to high-end performance residing with team green right now while AMD has yet to release an enthusiast card. More recently, Mind factory, the largest tech retailer based in Germany, announced that it had sold 50,000 Ryzen 5 3600 CPUs since the 6 core chip launched.

Mind Factory's own sales figures for the rest of the AMD lineup have been consistently strong since the arrival of 3rd Gen Ryzen CPUs. Based on the statistics from Ingebor which cover the month of March, AMD CPUs accounted for 88% sales & 84% revenue for the retailer versus 12% sales & 16% revenue for Intel CPUs. Now, the last week of April 2020 showed even better results with AMD 3rd Gen CPUs accounting for a massive 89% sales and 85% revenue share versus Intel's 10% sales and 15% revenue share. The higher number of AMD CPU sales also affected the sales share of AMD's chipset based motherboards which pushed 2660 units versus Intel's 375 units.

Lastly, we have the latest CPU market share results from CPUbenchmark which account for the total operational CPUs across the globe. AMD is slowly but steadily eating up Intel's CPU market share, getting closer and closer to the 50-50 share split mark. A 50-50 share split would be a huge milestone for AMD's Ryzen CPUs since the launch back in 2017.

https://wccftech.com/amd-ceo-ryzen-...strong-demand-for-ryzen-3000-ryzen-2000-cpus/

Athena~

Banned
AMD is such a beast. Totally showing up to the big boys like Intel and Nvidia, forcing them to compete which in turns benefiting the consumers.

Give us more high quality products in reasonable good price please, thank you!

Last edited:

MrA

Banned
Well deserved. Here's hoping Intel gets off their ass and pushes the envelope so that we don't have history repeat itself of tech stagnation due to lack of competition.
I can't imagine they won't, AMD getting things together is best for everyone, hopefully, we'll see them gain ground on Nvidia, too. I want that high-end hardware slowly trickle down into lower-end stuff. It'll be pretty sweet if the successor to Tegra orin is capable of spec between a ps4 and ps4pro in mobile.

Onocromin

Banned
Meanwhile, Intel is still not harnessing 7nm (does anyone know why!) and in some cases outperforming these chips at the highest end- in gaming.

An excellent example of the law of accelerating returns in effect. However Intel should quickly begin to invest in smaller shrink sizes as these architectural gains over AMD will only benefit AMD in the long run. Imagine Intel shrinking it's current refined architecture - you will see a 99% uplift in performance over AMD's highest offering once intel moves to a smaller shrink size.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Meanwhile, Intel is still not harnessing 7nm (does anyone know why!) and in some cases outperforming these chips at the highest end- in gaming.

An excellent example of the law of accelerating returns in effect. However Intel should quickly begin to invest in smaller shrink sizes as these architectural gains over AMD will only benefit AMD in the long run. Imagine Intel shrinking it's current refined architecture - you will see a 99% uplift in performance over AMD's highest offering once intel moves to a smaller shrink size.
No. You won't. Not even in the best case scenario would that be remotely realistic.

Onocromin

Banned
No. You won't. Not even in the best case scenario would that be remotely realistic.
You sound like someone that also refuses to believe Intel is still outperforming AMD at the highest end. Also, you obviously have no grasp of the law of accelerating returns.

Intel finally has offerings from it's competitor almost on the level. And that is at 7nm. Also, you're very ignorant, and wrong.

Last edited:

Onocromin

Banned

Intel is clobbering AMD utilizing a LARGER DIE SHRINK, and will completely 100% moon shot frog leap AMD once both competitors are on the same die shrink as they are only outperforming AMD due to pure architecture innovation. It's simple math. Intel will completely annihilate AMD at 7nm. Expect over 100% uplift in performance 3 generations into 7nm and smaller.

Last edited:

Armorian

Banned

Intel is clobbering AMD utilizing a LARGER DIE SHRINK, and will completely 100% moon shot frog leap AMD once both competitors are on the same die shrink as they are only outperforming AMD due to pure architecture innovation. It's simple math. Intel will completely annihilate AMD at 7nm. Expect over 100% uplift in performance 3 generations into 7nm and smaller.

Haha, you live in fantasy world. 2600K vs 6700K:

2011 - 2015
32nm - 14nm
3.4GHz - 4GHz

Plus completly new architecture (that they are still using in 2020, just with more cores). Results (% of how much faster 6700K is):

1qcmoKH.png

And you expect 100% gains with die shrink? :messenger_grinning_smiling:

Last edited:
How did this happen is beyond me. I thought my amd support was going to waste and they would never be able to catch up.

Intel did had quite a substantial performance lead and a much solid financial position to invest in R&D.

Its like intel sat on its laurels (dubious) and let amd catch up willingly.

Onocromin

Banned
Haha, you live in fantasy world. 2600K vs 6700K:

2011 - 2015
32nm - 14nm
3.4GHz - 4GHz

Plus completly new architecture (that they are still using in 2020, just with more cores). Results (% of how much faster 6700K is):

1qcmoKH.png

And you expect 100% gains with die shrink? :messenger_grinning_smiling:
You've illustrated nothing with this post. Intel 14nm CPU's currently defeat AMD High End CPUs. That is not fantasy.

you are also ignorant.

So, intel defeat's and remains on the winning end of competitive with AMD, at 14nm yet it is me, a computer scientist deriving data from fact's and MATH that is living in a fantasy.

i9 Skylake is 14nm, it still in fact defeats AMD's 7nm offerings and when intel decides to utilize this exact same architecture at 7nm you insinuate it will not in fact have a 100% uplift in performance?

Core i9-9980XE Skylake microarchitecture, is fabricated on Intel's 14 nm process. The i9-9980XE operates at 3.0 GHz with a TDP of 165 W and a Turbo Boost frequency of up to 4.4 GHz

I am a computer scientist, and it is so obvious that so many here are completely out of touch. Yourself Included.

Have your head checked, i will not entertain ignorance further.

CobraXT

Banned

i doubt intel can make 7 nm chips in 2021 or even at all .. maybe they could steal-licence tsmc tech to do it .. but then if they do this their newer chips will definitely not clock as high as their 14 nm ones .. wich means their newer chips will have worse single core performance .. btw .. tsmc is ready to produce 5nm chips ..

Last edited:

Onocromin

Banned
Intel has no reason not to move to 7nm - there is nothing keeping the giant that is Intel from doing so. What we are seeing play out is a demonstration in the refinement of architecture at a non cost effective return vs AMD's cost effective die shrink. Intel have a legit, mean winning architecture that deserves to move to 7nm and I as a hardcore hardware enthusiast and once long time AMD Fan (back in the 64bit 900mhz - 1ghz era) up until intel began to dominate again - I can not over emphasize the can of whoop ass intel has over AMD currently and with future die shrinks.

I don't understand why anyone would be afraid a die shrink would result in worse single core performance. Higher clock frequencies should not be an issue.

That is nonsensical considering the technology has met refinement to the point that the switch to 5nm and 4nm is fast upon us.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
You've illustrated nothing with this post. Intel 14nm CPU's currently defeat AMD High End CPUs. That is not fantasy.

you are also ignorant.

So, intel defeat's and remains on the winning end of competitive with AMD, at 14nm yet it is me, a computer scientist deriving data from fact's and MATH that is living in a fantasy.

i9 Skylake is 14nm, it still in fact defeats AMD's 7nm offerings and when intel decides to utilize this exact same architecture at 7nm you insinuate it will not in fact have a 100% uplift in performance?

Core i9-9980XE Skylake microarchitecture, is fabricated on Intel's 14 nm process. The i9-9980XE operates at 3.0 GHz with a TDP of 165 W and a Turbo Boost frequency of up to 4.4 GHz

I am a computer scientist, and it is so obvious that so many here are completely out of touch. Yourself Included.

Like this?

HMM, B A N N E D. Shame.

Last edited:
Intel made this very easy with their policy of new mobos every two generations.
I had 6700k (first gen Skylake 4/8) on Z170 platform - If I had option to put one of new ones 8/16 or even 6/12 cpus I'd happily buy it and don't bother changing stuff.

But I cannot so now I'm rocking 3900X on X570 looking forward to what 4900X brings :D

thelastword

Banned
If you guys think that is great, just wait till AMD releases Ryzen 4000......Ryzen 4000 will unleash a fury in performance over Intel in every category, especially gaming, no more of the CCX latency that's preventing current Ryzen for dominating in every game....I think Leonidas will be very proud of Ryzen 4000 gaming and will a huge proponent of these chips when they land......In Leonidas I trust...

Patrick S.

Banned
I'm getting a 3600 in my next upgrade. I just saw that an Intel i7 6700k, which I was going to get to build a computer for my son, is costing 200-225 Euro still... used... in 2020! That's more than the 180 I paid for mine a year ago. I can get a new Ryzen 3600X for that money, or a new 3600 non-X for 170, so it's a total no brainer. Bye Intel!

Last edited:

The Skull

Got a 3700x for cheapish (£260) to replace my 1700x. The gaming performance is great and the productivity of the chip is a fantastic bonus as well. Hope AMD can give us the same performance increase going from RDNA 1 to RDNA 2.

krampus

Neo Member
How did this happen is beyond me. I thought my amd support was going to waste and they would never be able to catch up.

Intel did had quite a substantial performance lead and a much solid financial position to invest in R&D.

Its like intel sat on its laurels (dubious) and let amd catch up willingly.

Well, some of the performance 'lead' they got by cheating with
security assurances in their implementation of hyper threading.

Turn off hyper-threading (turn off possible hardware backdooring)
and the 'lead' is basically gone...

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Well dude I responded to got banned. He wasn't wrong in saying Intel still has a lead in gaming, but he took it personally and started attacking everyone that challenged his 99% faster claim, which was ridiculous.

Chiggs

Well dude I responded to got banned. He wasn't wrong in saying Intel still has a lead in gaming, but he took it personally and started attacking everyone that challenged his 99% faster claim, which was ridiculous.

It came across as a complete temper tantrum, too. Intel being forced to compete by a competitor with superior offerings--not in all categories, but in a whole hell of a lot of them--is NOT a bad thing. It will just make Intel better, which we all know they're capable of being.

I just don't get it.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
It came across as a complete temper tantrum, too. Intel being forced to compete by a competitor with superior offerings--not in all categories, but in a whole hell of a lot of them--is NOT a bad thing. It will just make Intel better, which we all know they're capable of being.

I just don't get it.
Say what you want about Leonidas, at least he doesn't throw temper tantrums.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Intel's 10s series coming up should be very good CPUs. The 10700K is going to be a beast.

However, I suspect that Intels problem is that they have actually refined 14nm "too well" and that is preventing them from releasing 10nm CPUs because the performance will actually be lower, since it is extremely unlikely that Intel has anything remotely to 5.0 (let alone 5.3 Ghz) on 10nm. Last I heard was that the 10nm CPUs were having trouble running at above 4.0 GHz and that in that scenario, the 14nm @ 5.3 GHz overcame the IPC advantage of 10nm.

Durask

What is unfortunate is that the price of AMD motherboards is going through the roof.
Hard to find a decent motherboard under $200 and a lot of the "gaming" ones cost insane amounts of money.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member

I laughed when the guy claimed that all Intel had to do was switch to a lower die size, like they havent spent billions in a futile effort to do exactly that for the past six or seven years.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Intel's 10s series coming up should be very good CPUs. The 10700K is going to be a beast.

However, I suspect that Intels problem is that they have actually refined 14nm "too well" and that is preventing them from releasing 10nm CPUs because the performance will actually be lower, since it is extremely unlikely that Intel has anything remotely to 5.0 (let alone 5.3 Ghz) on 10nm. Last I heard was that the 10nm CPUs were having trouble running at above 4.0 GHz and that in that scenario, the 14nm @ 5.3 GHz overcame the IPC advantage of 10nm.

this is exactly correct

CuNi

AMD going strong with Ryzen and once the Ryzen 4xxxx are released, they can count another one in. Even though Single-Thread Intel is better than AMD as of right now, my self destructive lifestyle with 2 chrome windows with at least 80 tabs each really needs some more cores. I already hate that I have to always close down some tabs when I want higher fps because my 4770k is getting choked to death by all this shit..

I need more power to fund this wasteful 7th circle of hell lifestyle I set myself up to live.

Shame. I wanted to know what online, non accredited college he got his Masters Degree from. And those degrees do maintain value. You can wipe your ass with one, and it's worth as much as it was pre-asswipe.

Which means no worth of course.

SantaC

AMD going strong with Ryzen and once the Ryzen 4xxxx are released, they can count another one in. Even though Single-Thread Intel is better than AMD as of right now, my self destructive lifestyle with 2 chrome windows with at least 80 tabs each really needs some more cores. I already hate that I have to always close down some tabs when I want higher fps because my 4770k is getting choked to death by all this shit..

I need more power to fund this wasteful 7th circle of hell lifestyle I set myself up to live.
I think single thread performance is actually even now. The difference is that intel has higher clockspeed.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Shame. I wanted to know what online, non accredited college he got his Masters Degree from. And those degrees do maintain value. You can wipe your ass with one, and it's worth as much as it was pre-asswipe.

Which means no worth of course.

It’s weird that a “computer scientist” weighing in on Intel seemingly has no clue about why they are still on the 14nm process.

llien

Ryzen 4000 series will put the dagger in intel and twist it.

Yeah, I was thinking that looking at benchmarks, but as you, I've forgotten about... OEMs.
Try to find design with GPU faster than 2060.
Or 4k screen.

ASUS even has 4800u paired with, MX350...

And as far as desktop CPU go, DIY is only a small fraction of the market and Intell is still dominant and that is unlikely to change any time soon, if at all.

theclaw135

Banned
Getting banned in a topic about CPUs? For shame. I could outdo that with a degree from a "college" from a TV commercial during the Maury show.

Last edited:

CloudNull

Banned

you are also ignorant.

new copypasta?

martino

intel is in a second p4 moment.
the question is will (and can) they know a core duo moment after it ?

Last edited:

Silver Wattle

Gold Member
I hope that the 4000 desktop series clock 4.7Ghz for the mainstream chips, that combined with the ccx latency improvement alone will be enough to end Intel's ST advantage, as AMD actually has superior IPC, Intel just clocks so high right now.
Any additional improvements would be AMD giving Intel a kick in the nuts.

Got a 3700x for cheapish (£260) to replace my 1700x. The gaming performance is great and the productivity of the chip is a fantastic bonus as well. Hope AMD can give us the same performance increase going from RDNA 1 to RDNA 2.

Did you notice a big improvement in FPS? Did you use the same gfx card?

I plan on going from a 2600 to a 4700x when it releases. I don’t feel like I get enough performance out of my 2600.

They should call TSMC to get some of that 7nm love AMD has.

Seriously, I don't think Intel CPUs have been completely bad, except at the very high end (workstation + server loads) where they just don't compete because they are inefficient AND still cost more as far as I know. Their only problem with desktop--especially gaming--was their price/performance ratio, but they got much better there, however you need a small scale nuclear plant to run them to their full potential now.

njean777

Even though ARM is supposedly their future, I wish Apple would stick them in Macs already.

Such great processors. Great work, AMD.

We cannot say yet that arm will be any good, it will be interesting to see if they actually do produce a MacBook with arm only and then the MacBook Pros with typical x86. That is what I have been reading so far, which leads me to believe maybe the ARM version MacBook will be like a Chromebook. IDK I just don't see ARM taking over AMD or Intel really, not with the vast majority of developers. Sure it is nice to be able to use your own chips, but the performance hasn't been shown in real world if these chips are worth the effort to fully power a pro machine. iPads, and iPhones are fast sure, but throw in multi-threading and pro-apps, with graphics and the such and who knows how they will perform compared to the X86 counterparts.

I also agree that apple should throw in Ryzen to their machines especially with how good they are now compared to intel. Probably would save them money also.

CobraXT

Banned
intel is in a second p4 moment.
the question is will (and can) they know a core duo moment after it ?

intel problem this time is not the design of their cpus.. but their manufacturing process ..its a much
bigger problem ..

Last edited:

chinoXL

just grabbed a 3900x when they had a sale on them a month ago. upgraded from my old 6700k. gotta give it to AMD, they're doin their thing lately making Intel work!!!

Top Bottom