• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD CEO Lisa Su ‘Thrilled’ with How Console Launches Went; ‘There’s Higher Demand Than We Thought’

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

AMD CEO Lisa Su participated in a remote Q&A with select journalists after her CES 2021 virtual keynote, where the executive unveiled the AMD Ryzen 5000 Series Mobility Processors.

An edited transcript of the interview was posted last Friday by VentureBeat. Among many other topics, the AMD CEO also went over the next-generation console launches by Sony and Microsoft, since those systems are powered by AMD technology. Overall, Lisa Su said the company is thrilled with how those releases went and added that there is higher demand for the console than they had anticipated.

We’re thrilled with how the console launches went. You’ve heard separately from Sony and Microsoft, their discussions about the size of the launches and the reception of the products. From our standpoint, if you think about it, with just the amount of new hardware that had to come into place — millions of units of both consoles, or all three consoles — that needed to ship, it came together very nicely.

As far as what we’ve learned, there is higher demand than we thought, and we’re trying to put more capacity in place for that. But we’re very happy with the launches, with the partnerships with both Sony and Microsoft. They have somewhat different strategies, but we’ve partnered very well with both of them. This is a big cycle. That says a lot about how much technology we’ve been able to integrate into the console form factor.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I am also thrilled about finding anything from them available to buy.

been waiting for a year to get a ryzen laptop..

then they launched the new ones🤣✌️

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Lisa, oh my dear Lisa.
Pleas, kindly just STFU and make more of whatever you need to make so Sony and MS can sell us more.
'Kaythankxbye
between the PS5 and Xbox. They have likely sold over 10 million in a little over two months.

Compare that to Nvidia cards that launched in September and AMD's own lineup. You are looking at maybe tens of thousands max.

I'd say Lisa has done more than enough to get the consoles on shelves. Or at least prioritize consoles over the PC cards.

Lisa, oh my dear Lisa.
Pleas, kindly just STFU and make more of whatever you need to make so Sony and MS can sell us more.
'Kaythankxbye
It's mostly up to TSMC.

If the chip fab doesn't have the capacity, they don't have the capacity. There's little AMD or Lisa can do about that.

N7P is an advanced process technology with many process steps, and TSMC will be tightly managing how much capacity they can devote to low margin high volume parts like consoles, versus ridiculous margin parts sold into the HPC markets.

Last edited:
between the PS5 and Xbox. They have likely sold over 10 million in a little over two months.

Compare that to Nvidia cards that launched in September and AMD's own lineup. You are looking at maybe tens of thousands max.

I'd say Lisa has done more than enough to get the consoles on shelves. Or at least prioritize consoles over the PC cards.
It's mostly up to TSMC.

If the chip fab doesn't have the capacity, they don't have the capacity. There's little AMD or Lisa can do about that.

N7P is an advanced process technology with many process steps, and TSMC will be tightly managing how much capacity they can devote to low margin high volume parts like consoles, versus ridiculous margin parts sold into the HPC markets.
Noted and thanks for the insight guys but It was just a joke. Sorry I should have added some kind of emoji to bring that across but I do appreciate the posts though. I learned something today.

Last edited:
Good job AMD! Gave us the right specs and sweet spot to start off the decade with a bang...

If only the developers could let go of the potato...jaguar :/

Who said consoles were dead in 2020?

I definitely remember hearing it in 2012/2013. I don't remember hearing it lately.
This thread is what immediately came to mind

edit: i actually thought there were more from recent time but that is the only one i can find right now

Last edited:
Top Bottom