• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD: Both XSX and PS5 RDNA2 based and have Hardware RT

When the hell has Cerny ever actually overtly lied? The man's work hs never not delivered on what he said. It's also not a clarification; the man said, outright, that they'd have Hardware Raytracing. Doubting that is just being in denial. People said the same thing when he said the base PS4 was capable of HDR, said he was BSing, lying, etc. and then bam, the HDR update dropped.

Y'all gotta stop doubting the Mad Wizard Cerny.
I'd like to reiterate: Y'all need to stop testing God-King Cerny.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I am doing great. You up for a ban bet? If it's not RDNA2, you go, if it's RDNA2, I go. No RDNA 1.x outs, if PS5 is not full RDNA2 you are gone. Same for me if it is.
So you are in then? Sony reveal or whenever they talk about it is the day. The bet is: PS5 is not using RDNA2. And once that is verified by Sony themselves (by them stating they are using RDNA2), I leave. Otherwise, you leave.

Yes, we know you’re a throwaway account here to sow discord and spread FUD from the church of fanatical green. You have far less to lose.

The AEN being pushed by the nerdiest of cults is staring to crumble, whip out Oscar Beta Zulu Plan Ban Bet!

Mass Shift

So the PS5 will also use DXR 1.1 as well? That's pretty cool then, I didn't think MS would have shared such an advantage across all next gen consoles. Including a rival platform. Considering they co-engineered it with AMD.

Maybe we really are moving closer to a less technologically competitive generation.

ethomaz

Banned
So the PS5 will also use DXR 1.1 as well? That's pretty cool then, I didn't think MS would have shared such an advantage across all next gen consoles. Including a rival platform. Considering they co-engineered it with AMD.

Maybe we really are moving closer to a less technologically competitive generation.
PS5 doesn’t support DXR.

FranXico

PS5 will use its own API for Ray Tracing... on the same RT hardware.

Last edited:

No ps5 will use a custom api for it.

Md Ray

Yeah, it is. I mean they've all got the same hardware capabilities. I'm actually curious now about what they went with.
Currently PS4 and Xbox One use the same GCN-based architecture GPU.

PS4 uses GNM API
Xbox One uses DX12 API

DXR is Microsoft's DX12 ray-tracing extension.
There could be something similar from Sony as GNM's ray-tracing extension.
👍🏼

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

Banned

Advantage? Like Dx12? Sony would have made a similar or even better solution like thy did in contrast to dx12. Thy have some of the best engineers and software ppl in the world. Fancy names don't mean shit is this field. For every API a competitor has Sony creates its own and are very competent at it, same goes for feature sets and features.

Last edited:
He meant DRX 1.0 was created with only RTX support now the API was updated to 1.1 to add support to RDNA 2 ray-tracing.

Of course you don’t lose the RTX support.
That's not what it reads like to me. It reads like DXR 1.0 is only supported on Nvidia and that the "new RDNA2" will support DXR 1.1. But it's all good.

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
Confirmed in the last segment of the presentation
"We're on the cusp of next-generation. The next-generation consoles will use our latest Zen technology, our latest RDNA technology as well, really creating this very immersive experience with ray tracing, 3D audio, fast load times to really excite a new generation of gamers."

--AMD's Rick Bergman
As I've been suggesting, are we saying Zen 3, RDNA 2? AMD confirms it...…...Zen 3 is going to be revealed soon, it makes no sense to have consoles on older tech, when there's more efficiency and lower power draw on the newer and latest arch....

eVPjWC0.jpg

BOOM! cc: D darkinstinct
And I know, and I'm gonna let you finish.....and I know you have all your facts and Sony, AMD and the chief architect himself have confirmed RDNA 2, but what does Brad Sams, Klobrille and VFX Veteran have to say though? On Neogaf though, only Lort and DarkInstinct can have the final word on PS5 specs......

Now, let us resume the baseless arguments of how many Tflops the PS5 will have!
4sCHc2T.png
Absolutely, now that RDNA 1 gibrations have been shut down, the TF wars will wage on harder...….I swear if Sony says 14TF tomorrow, some will say 7TF FP32....Cerny never said FP32, he only said 14TF, it could mean FP16......The same chute they went down the Raytracing, they will go down that route with TF..So far.....

THE FUD TO BE SHUTDOWN LIST (looks like this)...

1.) RDNA 1
2.) 9.2TF (Pending)

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
As I've been suggesting, are we saying Zen 3, RDNA 2? AMD confirms it...…...Zen 3 is going to be revealed soon, it makes no sense to have consoles on older tech, when there's more efficiency and lower power draw on the newer and latest arch....

And I know, and I'm gonna let you finish.....and I know you have all your facts and Sony, AMD and the chief architect himself have confirmed RDNA 2, but what does Brad Sams, Klobrille and VFX Veteran have to say though? On Neogaf though, only Lort and DarkInstinct can have the final word on PS5 specs......

Absolutely, now that RDNA 1 gibrations have been shut down, the TF wars will wage on harder...….I swear if Sony says 14TF tomorrow, some will say 7TF FP32....Cerny never said FP32, he only said 14TF, it could mean FP16......The same chute they went down the Raytracing, they will go down that route with TF..So far.....

THE FUD TO BE SHUTDOWN LIST (looks like this)...

1.) RDNA 1
2.) 9.2TF (Pending)

Didn’t GitHub say it was a Navi 10 part?

So that probably rules it out, since AMD confirmed the consoles will be RDNA2 on Navi 2x.

MS has already confirmed Zen 2... specifically... custom Zen2.

It's not Zen 3

Md Ray

These consoles are surely gonna use a cut-down variant of Zen 2, meaning with less cache (8MB? Instead of 32MB), lower clocks, non-chiplet design, etc. And maybe Zen 3's cut-down aka mobile variant without chiplet wasn't ready when the PS5/XSX specs were finalized.

thelastword

Banned
MS has already confirmed Zen 2... specifically... custom Zen2.

It's not Zen 3
It could be Zen 2, but remember Sony got GDDR5 over MS in 2013 and they had Vega Features in 2016 with 64 ROPs 1 year ahead of MS's XBONEX...….XBONEX had no Vega features or custom CB hardware......As I've said, the custom engineering will be what separates these consoles.....It is there we will see Sony's prowess in the hardware industry and the genius of Cerny over MS engineers....

It could be Zen 2, but remember Sony got GDDR5 over MS in 2013 and they had Vega Features in 2016 with 64 ROPs 1 year ahead of MS's XBONEX...….XBONEX had no Vega features or custom CB hardware......As I've said, the custom engineering will be what separates these consoles.....It is there we will see Sony's prowess in the hardware industry and the genius of Cerny over MS engineers....
There's no "could be" about it. XSX is using Zen 2. "Custom" in this case means stripped down caches.

Memory is not the same as CPU architecture.. :messenger_grinning_sweat: MS had a very specific design goal with X1X... they made the choice to go the route they did... you're acting like Sony had access to something that MS didn't. Given the roadmap... and the realities of console development cycles... there's no way that Sony has Zen 3 while MS only has Zen 2...

That's just as pathetic of an argument as Xbox fanboys still claiming that PS5 doesn't use RDNA2...

mitchman

Gold Member

As others have said, Sony have their own gfx API. API support for ray tracking doesn't _mean_ anything in itself, so there is little sense to focus on some API over the other. PS4 has shown that Sony's GNM is perfectly fine and comparable at the very least to DX12, possibly even better.

Mass Shift

Advantage? Like Dx12? Sony would have made a similar or even better solution like thy did in contrast to dx12. Thy have some of the best engineers and software ppl in the world. Fancy names don't mean shit is this field. For every API a competitor has Sony creates its own and are very competent at it, same goes for feature sets and features.

I never brought into question the talents of Sony's engineers, so I don't know what you're going on about.

I only saw the Warren tweet that showed the AMD graph showing DXR 1.1 on RDNA2 silicon and thought Microsoft might have shared it with Sony. I mean if it's good enough for Nvidia and AMD.....right?

And I have to disagree with you to a certain extent. Co-engineering and fine tuning an API at the silicon level would most certainly be advantageous. It wouldn't have taken anything away from Sony's engineers if they actually had access to the API and thought it was useful.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Forget tflops wars. War has changed.

Say hi to API wars.

MS ray tracing api to use java. bulky with lots of overhead but easy to code and maintain.
Sony's api to use mumps. ancient but fast and gives low level access to the hardware.
Nintendo to use Desert Eagle .50 to commit seppuku.

I can't believe people are still in denial and insisting that AMD was talking about a second unrevealed Xbox and not the PS5 they were literally showing on the screen when they said "both consoles".

Or insisting that "latest RDNA" isn't RDNA2. Like...are y'all then trying to argue Phil lied when he said RDNA2? Because if both consoles are using their latest tech, then either both are RDNA 1 or 2.

This is some of the most embarrassing denial I've seen in years of watching console wars. Uncanny.

demigod

I can't believe people are still in denial and insisting that AMD was talking about a second unrevealed Xbox and not the PS5 they were literally showing on the screen when they said "both consoles".

Or insisting that "latest RDNA" isn't RDNA2. Like...are y'all then trying to argue Phil lied when he said RDNA2? Because if both consoles are using their latest tech, then either both are RDNA 1 or 2.

This is some of the most embarrassing denial I've seen in years of watching console wars. Uncanny.

This is nothing new with xbox fans. They will spin EVERYTHING.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

Kind of like Sony fans downplaying Series X even when it was “double the power of X” and even RDNA based. And this came from MS, not some GitHub spec sheet or heresay.

And still it got downplayed.

it ended up 12 tf RDNA 2 which is literally what they said.

Last edited:

It's only embarrassing if you don't understand the fundamentals of the English language, punctuation and the separation of statements.

"RDNA 2, the next-gen, will support raytracing. Both the next-gen Xbox and PlayStation will support hardware raytracing with Radeon natively."

Let's break this down shall we...

• RDNA 2, the next-gen, will support raytracing.

This is an independent statement of the architecture, of the hardware capability abstract of anything said before or after it.

• Both the next-gen Xbox and PlayStation will support hardware raytracing with Radeon natively.

This is also an independent statement. This isn't saying one or the other is RDNA 2, the first statement merely states that RDNA 2 supports RT, and in the second statement it says Xbox and PlayStation will support hardware RT with Radeon. The lack of connection in these statements is in how they're worded, it doesn't say "Both Xbox and PlayStation 5 will support hardware RT via RDNA 2". All it's stating is that RDNA 2 supports RT, and is followed up with another sentence that both Xbox and PlayStation will have RT.

It doesn't state how they're arriving at RT merely that it's through Radeon. We know that Xbox is RDNA 2 and as a result has HWRT via it, we still don't know how Sony is arriving at their RT via Radeon or what the underlying architecture of their GPU is.

Pallas

So glad we can finally move on from this. This is good since I plan on buying both consoles, they need to be as powerful as possible without breaking the bank or catching the house on fire lol. I really hope the PS5 at least reaches 10TF and the more the better.

This is nothing new with xbox fans. They will spin EVERYTHING.

You act like Xbox fanboys are the only one who spins shit, its a two way street, both fanatics on both sides can be unbelievably embarrassing at times and make cringeworthy remarks.

Md Ray

It's only embarrassing if you don't understand the fundamentals of the English language, punctuation and the separation of statements.

"RDNA 2, the next-gen, will support raytracing. Both the next-gen Xbox and PlayStation will support hardware raytracing with Radeon natively."

This is an independent statement of the architecture, of the hardware capability abstract of anything said before or after it.

• Both the next-gen Xbox and PlayStation will support hardware raytracing with Radeon natively.

This is also an independent statement. This isn't saying one or the other is RDNA 2, the first statement merely states that RDNA 2 supports RT, and in the second statement it says Xbox and PlayStation will support hardware RT with Radeon. The lack of connection in these statements is in how they're worded, it doesn't say "Both Xbox and PlayStation 5 will support hardware RT via RDNA 2". All it's stating is that RDNA 2 supports RT, and is followed up with another sentence that both Xbox and PlayStation will have RT.

It doesn't state how they're arriving at RT merely that it's through Radeon. We know that Xbox is RDNA 2 and as a result has HWRT via it, we still don't know how Sony is arriving at their RT via Radeon or what the underlying architecture of their GPU is.
eVPjWC0.jpg

It's RDNA 2, obviously.

EDIT:
This couldn't be any clearer.

"You're going to see RDNA 2-based products for AMD, and for our partners later this year." at 1:14:41.
-David Wang (Senior Vice President Engineering, RTG

"Partners" here implies Microsoft & Sony. So the argument that they meant XSX/XSS is also now invalid.

Last edited:

Tripolygon

Banned
love how AMD tells us more about PS5 than Sony 😂👍
From Sony

CPU - Zen 2 8 Cores 16 Threads
GPU - RDNA with Ray Tracing aka RDNA2, Supports Machine learning operations
Storage - Superfast SSD with actual Demo
Audio - Raytrace 3D Audio
Controller - New HD Haptics and adaptive triggers
OS - Modular game install with ability to jump into specific levels and activities directly from OS UI without booting game first.
Backwards compatible with PSVR and PS4.

DRLuTUi.jpg

Last edited:

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.

That second statement was never made. Proof me wrong. Do a transcript of the video where it is said. Hint: I already did.

Top Bottom