• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD: Both XSX and PS5 RDNA2 based and have Hardware RT

octiny

Banned
The site I posted clarified with AMD lol

Odd, I don't see where they asked AMD for clarification, they seem to have pulled an exact month out of their ass.

That's a pretty good leak :messenger_smirking:

Edit: In fact both articles you posted contradicted themselves. Techradar says "by march 2021" & Tweaktown says exactly in March 2021. With no clarification from AMD. I'll take Anandtech sources over those 2 sites any day of the week. Clarifying that consumer zen is indeed launching late 2020 (4000 series), after the show was over. APU's & laptop processors will undoubtedly release in 2021, just like previous gens which came much later than the initial 2000/3000 consumer desktop chips.

"In this graph, we see that the Zen 3 product here is on the far right, but so is the date – 2021. Does this mean Zen 3 for consumers is coming 2021? We asked AMD to clarify, and were told that we should interpret this as that the range of Zen 3 consumer products, such as desktop CPUs, HEDT CPUs, mobile APUs, and consumer APUs, should all be available by the end of 2021. The company clarified that Zen 3 will hit the consumer market ‘later this year’, meaning late 2020."

Last edited:
Kind of like Sony fans downplaying Series X even when it was “double the power of X” and even RDNA based. And this came from MS, not some GitHub spec sheet or heresay.

And still it got downplayed.

it ended up 12 tf RDNA 2 which is literally what they said.
Spare me your "whataboutism". "Double" is vague and when MS confirmed it with a hard number, people shut up about it.

When AMD confirmed this, these dudes started screeching, declaring it meant Sony lied about BC since RDNA2 can't support it, claiming that it still would not, COULD not be RDNA2 and would be some "RDNA 1.9", and even outright accusing AMD of lying because they "went back on their word about RDNA2 only being 7nm+" and thus aren't trustworthy. Somehow.

They are literally accusing a respected company of lying to the public and their investors in the name of furthering console war nonsense even as they have literally no dog in the fight since both companies are their customers. It's a whole new level of pathetic.

It's only embarrassing if you don't understand the fundamentals of the English language, punctuation and the separation of statements.

"RDNA 2, the next-gen, will support raytracing. Both the next-gen Xbox and PlayStation will support hardware raytracing with Radeon natively."

Let's break this down shall we...

• RDNA 2, the next-gen, will support raytracing.

This is an independent statement of the architecture, of the hardware capability abstract of anything said before or after it.

• Both the next-gen Xbox and PlayStation will support hardware raytracing with Radeon natively.

This is also an independent statement. This isn't saying one or the other is RDNA 2, the first statement merely states that RDNA 2 supports RT, and in the second statement it says Xbox and PlayStation will support hardware RT with Radeon. The lack of connection in these statements is in how they're worded, it doesn't say "Both Xbox and PlayStation 5 will support hardware RT via RDNA 2". All it's stating is that RDNA 2 supports RT, and is followed up with another sentence that both Xbox and PlayStation will have RT.

It doesn't state how they're arriving at RT merely that it's through Radeon. We know that Xbox is RDNA 2 and as a result has HWRT via it, we still don't know how Sony is arriving at their RT via Radeon or what the underlying architecture of their GPU is.
RDNA1 does not support Hardware Accelerated Ray-tracing with VRS. Period.

So unless Sony knows AMD's tech better than AMD does and magically got both to work on a gen that physically does not support this, then it's RDNA2. Which is probably why they said BOTH CONSOLES were using it. Very clearly. With the PS5 and Series X logos right on the screen there.

Please, I'm begging you guys, grow a brain stem and stop embarrassing yourselves in the name of a plastic box.

ethomaz

Banned
Perharps AMD is having issues with 7nm+.

I guess they don't have "confidence" enough in 7nm+ and so Zen3 date can't be confirmed... so just promised for a release in 2020 for Epyc and 2021 for Ryzen 4000.

That is probably the reason they did announced RDNA 2 just as being 7nm and being confuse in the replies about 7nm+.
They will probably try 7nm+ but if they can't they will go with 7nm.

Maybe that is why they are using 7nm as being 7nm and 7nm+.

ethomaz

Banned
where exactly? Where did they show console logos + RDNA 2.0?
Yes.
They showed PS5 and Xbox logo.

Navi_Features_575px.png

ps5-xbox-series-x-amd-conferma-architettura-rdna-2-comune-piattaforme-v6-431714-1280x720.jpg

More than that they talked about RDNA 2 powering both next-gen consoles.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
I did not open your link and now I realized how dumb I'm for not spooted that before.

Wccftech.

That is why the article is wrong.

AMD Zen3 promised roadmap:

Late 2020: EPYC Milian.
March 2021: Razen 4000.
Thought 2021: other Zen 3 products.
Why are you lying? This is the official press release from AMD. Read it.

AMD plans to introduce the first processors based on its next-generation “Zen 3” core in late 2020.

[...]

In 2020 and beyond, AMD sees significant opportunities to drive continued growth across its computing and graphics portfolio:

• AMD expects to grow its performance leadership with the ramp of its 7nm “Zen 2”-based 3rd Generation AMD Ryzen™ processors designed specifically for desktops and notebooks across the consumer and commercial segments. Built to optimize the user experience in these markets, the newest AMD Ryzen processors deliver outstanding performance, responsiveness, battery-life and security features for the most demanding workloads. AMD is on track to bring increased performance to the gaming, content creation and productivity markets when it delivers the first “Zen 3”-based AMD Ryzen™ product in 2020.

Clearly says Ryzen. Not Epyc. In 2020. Not 2021.

Bandi

Banned
Yes.
They showed PS5 and Xbox logo.

Navi_Features_575px.png

ps5-xbox-series-x-amd-conferma-architettura-rdna-2-comune-piattaforme-v6-431714-1280x720.jpg

More than that they talked about RDNA 2 powering both next-gen consoles.

uh. nope?! it just says "custom AMD SOCs" could mean anything.. Why not just write there "powered by AMD RDNA 2.0?
Also, those slides are not even showed together xD Slide 12 and then Slide 28?! Nice taking everything ot of context.

One could say, wishful thinking. But we will see. Hopefully, SONY just clarifies, some day, maybe next year or so. xD

darkinstinct

So unless Sony knows AMD's tech better than AMD does and magically got both to work on a gen that physically does not support this, then it's RDNA2. Which is probably why they said BOTH CONSOLES were using it. Very clearly. With the PS5 and Series X logos right on the screen there.

Please, I'm begging you guys, grow a brain stem and stop embarrassing yourselves in the name of a plastic box.
You realize that the fact that it's not clear is evidence that PS5 is most likely not RDNA2? They could've just said just that. Hey, next gen consoles use our RDNA2 technology. But they didn't. The same way that at E3 Lisa Su said Radeon technology for PS5 and next gen Radeon RDNA technology for Xbox. Same way that at CES she said "both next gen consoles are powered by Radeon technology" and not "next gen RDNA technology".

darkinstinct

They showed both logos from both companies after saying the consoles were both using the latest RDNA technology. So unless they're BOTH using RDNA1, and RDNA1 is their latest tech, then both are using RDNA2.

Just stop.
RDNA2 is built on RDNA. So somebody that uses RDNA2 technology also automatically uses RDNA technology. But not the other way around. That's why they phrase it like that, because one is on RDNA1 and one on RDNA2. Both use RDNA technology.

ethomaz

Banned

AMD plans to introduce the first processors based on its next-generation “Zen 3” core in late 2020.

[...]

In 2020 and beyond, AMD sees significant opportunities to drive continued growth across its computing and graphics portfolio:

• AMD expects to grow its performance leadership with the ramp of its 7nm “Zen 2”-based 3rd Generation AMD Ryzen™ processors designed specifically for desktops and notebooks across the consumer and commercial segments. Built to optimize the user experience in these markets, the newest AMD Ryzen processors deliver outstanding performance, responsiveness, battery-life and security features for the most demanding workloads. AMD is on track to bring increased performance to the gaming, content creation and productivity markets when it delivers the first “Zen 3”-based AMD Ryzen™ product in 2020.

Now you showed something that proves everybody wrong even AMD at the presentation.
So I was wrong... thanks.

BTW just the second bolded part proves what you said... the first is just talking about EPYC that uses Zen 3 cores.

ethomaz

Banned
uh. nope?! it just says "custom AMD SOCs" could mean anything.. Why not just write there "powered by AMD RDNA 2.0?
Also, those slides are not even showed together xD Slide 12 and then Slide 28?! Nice taking everything ot of context.

One could say, wishful thinking. But we will see. Hopefully, SONY just clarifies, some day, maybe next year or so. xD
They confirmed PS5 as being RDNA 2 at presentation and slides lol

Why deny what AMD said/showed?

You did that before saying the quote was fake and eat crow because they site due uploaded the video with the AMD guy saying it.
Now you are eating again crow because it is public and AMD confirmed it.

Last edited:

octiny

Banned

[...]

Good shit, just as I thought. And lines up with Anandtech clarifying with AMD after the show.

(y)

darkinstinct

They confirmed PS5 as being RDNA 2 at presentation and slides lol

Why deny what AMD said/showed?

You did that before saying the quote was fake and eat crow because they site due uploaded the video with the AMD guy saying it.
Now you are eating again crow because it is public and AMD confirmed it.
They did not do that. They said Xbox and PS5 is using RDNA technology and that RDNA2 would be used by PCs and consoles. That's it. In no way did they say that PS5 was RDNA2. They said both were using raytracing and 3D audio and fast loading. I give you a hint: Fast loading is not an AMD technology. They are just repeating what Sony and Microsoft have said so far. Wouldn't it make sense for AMD at their own financial day to say something like "both are using raytracing, variable rate shading and 3D Audio"? So three actual features that come with RDNA2? Feels weird to just focus on what has been revealed by Sony and Microsoft so far. And implies that Sony is not using VRS in hardware and that they are not using AMD's raytracing, because everything points to them using RDNA1.

ethomaz

Banned
They did not do that. They said Xbox and PS5 is using RDNA technology and that RDNA2 would be used by PCs and consoles. That's it. In no way did they say that PS5 was RDNA2. They said both were using raytracing and 3D audio and fast loading. I give you a hint: Fast loading is not an AMD technology. They are just repeating what Sony and Microsoft have said so far. Wouldn't it make sense for AMD at their own financial day to say something like "both are using raytracing, variable rate shading and 3D Audio"? So three actual features that come with RDNA2? Feels weird to just focus on what has been revealed by Sony and Microsoft so far. And implies that Sony is not using VRS in hardware and that they are not using AMD's raytracing, because everything points to them using RDNA1.
They did... you are in denial.

oxman2k

So is the PS5 RDNA 2 can anyone actually confirm this 100% or are we back to rumours,misinterpreation,BS,as usaual and can anyone on neo gaf 100% confirm it,s not 9.2tf.

darkinstinct

So is the PS5 RDNA 2 can anyone actually confirm this 100% or are we back to rumours,misinterpreation,BS,as usaual and can anyone on neo gaf 100% confirm it,s not 9.2tf.

Until Sony spills the beans, it's basically Schroedinger's console. It's 9.2 TF and it's 14 TF. It's RDNA1 and RDNA2. It's 399 and 499. Time for Sony to say something.

ethomaz

Banned
AMD confirmed both consoles as being RDNA 2 yesterday.

Until Sony spills the beans, it's basically Schroedinger's console. It's 9.2 TF and it's 14 TF. It's RDNA1 and RDNA2. It's 399 and 499. Time for Sony to say something.
Fake.

Last edited:

Old Empire.

100 percent confirmed for others PS5 GPU is Zen 2. AMD people said' both consoles had hardware ray tracing natively.

Individuals who deny RDNA2 for PS5 are baffling. The hardware ray tracing only lands with the Zen 2 7nm die this year - not the RDNA Zen 1 die from last year.

Teraflop performanc the PS5 not known yet. I f Sony machine 500 dollars, it likely matching Microsoft specs.

Last edited by a moderator:

I deeply respect your dedication.

Your former comrades are all on suicide watch and have abandoned you

Yet here you remain, standing your ground in a hopeless battle

Carry on soilder, so that we may continue to be entertained

Last edited:

Architecture can be retrofitted with more modern features. AMD does this regularly, please take a minute and realize this.

Banned
100 percent confirmed for others PS5 GPU is Zen 2. AMD people said' both consoles had hardware ray tracing natively.

Individuals who deny RDNA2 for PS5 are baffling. The hardware ray tracing only lands with the Zen 2 7nm die this year - not the RDNA Zen 1 die from last year.

Teraflop performanc the PS5 not known yet. I f Sony machine 500 dollars, it likely matching Microsoft specs.

you clearly don't know what you're talking about. first of all, old architectures can add features meant for later versions, which is hat the PS4 Pro did.
second of all, wtf are you talking about with all the Zen2 and Zen1 stuff? Zen1 was never talked about we knew both use Zen2 for at least a year.

btw. I'm not trying to deny RDNA2 here it just shows that most people that try to argue over architectures and what they can and can't do have absolutely zero idea what they're talking about.
this is schoolyard Genesis vs SNES kinda shit right here sometimes, where both sides had no idea what blast processing or bits even mean but still used these terms to argue with eachother

Last edited:
"Both consoles are using our latest RDNA technology" is very different contexts... how? They SHOWED the consoles they'd been talking about.

Sweet Jesus you fanboys are thick.
No. I'm obviously talking about the slides shown. One was technical breakdown, the other was ecosystem and partnership
And only a fanboy would make a comment like yours.

I'm sorry but no where on any of those slides do you see explicitly where AMD says playstation 5 has RDNA 2. What I see is a very vague outline. Pointing more towards PC and xbox sx. I only see where Microsoft is on a slide with RDNA 2 + PC's. Never in any of the presentation does Sony share space with RDNA2 . Even the slide where it says both consols will have next gen Rdna 2 , Sony is nowhere to be found on any. "Both consoles " Lockhart and xbox series X and PC. THE Playstation fansboys add the 2.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
I'm sorry but no where on any of those slides do you see explicitly where AMD says playstation 5 has RDNA 2. What I see is a very vague outline. Pointing more towards PC and xbox sx. I only see where Microsoft is on a slide with RDNA 2 + PC's. Never in any of the presentation does Sony share space with RDNA2 . Even the slide where it says both consols will have next gen Rdna 2 , Sony is nowhere to be found on any. "Both consoles " Lockhart and xbox series X and PC. THE Playstation fansboys add the 2.
Not just the slides says that both consoles uses RDNA2.... they talked a lot about that yesterday.

Actual chances to PS5 not being RDNA2:

0%
ZERO!!!

I don't know spin another subject like PS5 is 9.2TFs or something else because that one is already done, confirmed, set on stone, etc.

Last edited:
No. I'm obviously talking about the slides shown. One was technical breakdown, the other was ecosystem and partnership
And only a fanboy would make a comment like yours.
Only a fanboy would be this in-denial.

What next-gen consoles exist other than the PS5 and Series X right now? Are you seriously trying to argue that they're referring to an as-yet unconfirmed and unannounced "Lockhart" model of the Xbox alongside the Xbox? Why on Earth would they refer to their PARTNERS using their RDNA2-ONLY Raytracing for next-gen systems and not just Microsoft?

It's pretty clear that they're in the same context, my guy. These are the consoles they have been discussing when they say "Next-Gen Consoles". Period.

Heinrich

Banned
Can we all agree that Sony fucked up big time and that their whole reveal strategy is dogshit? Seriously. WTF.
It’s MARCH.
why not just tell us? It’s ridiculous that AMD has to tell us more about the PS5.
PATHETIC. Sony doesn’t give a shit. FUCK THEM.

darkinstinct

What next-gen consoles exist other than the PS5 and Series X right now? Are you seriously trying to argue that they're referring to an as-yet unconfirmed and unannounced "Lockhart" model of the Xbox alongside the Xbox? Why on Earth would they refer to their PARTNERS using their RDNA2-ONLY Raytracing for next-gen systems and not just Microsoft?

It's pretty clear that they're in the same context, my guy. These are the consoles they have been discussing when they say "Next-Gen Consoles". Period.
Graphics card makers are partners as well.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I don't think it's possible to quote the amount of people needed in this thread so I'm just gonna leave this here.
giphy.gif

Personally I wouldn't be worried about if PS5 has RDNA2.
This was already known from day one.
I'd be more worried about what else was Bullshit THAT people was so gullible to believe, like it’s TF number.
Because it isn't 9.2TF 😉

Last edited:

Welcome to my ignore list. You're the first.

Not just the slides says that both consoles uses RDNA2.... they talked a lot about that yesterday.

Actual chances to PS5 not being RDNA2:

0%
ZERO!!!

I don't know spin another subject like PS5 is 9.2TFs or something else because that one is already done, confirmed, set on stone, etc.
Where and at what point did they say or show that PSV is RDNA 2. Statements like
"our latest"
or
"Both consoles "
or
"RDNA architecture".
where's the statement
" PS5 and XBOX sx is RDNA 2."
Is that so hard? That will close the door on any fanboy BS.

Oh yes the
"both consoles and PC"
you can't get anymore Vague than that, last I checked there are 3 consoles coming out and right now only 2 have RDNA 2.
I Bet Sony Will not even say 1 or 2.

darkinstinct

Where and at what point did they say or show that PSV is RDNA 2. Statements like or or where's the statement Is that so hard? That will close the door on any fanboy BS.

Oh yes theyou can't get anymore Vague than that, last I checked there are 3 consoles coming out and right now only 2 have RDNA 2.
Sony actually says RDNA and not RDNA2 on their website.

darkinstinct

Spare me your "whataboutism". "Double" is vague and when MS confirmed it with a hard number, people shut up about it.

When AMD confirmed this, these dudes started screeching, declaring it meant Sony lied about BC since RDNA2 can't support it, claiming that it still would not, COULD not be RDNA2 and would be some "RDNA 1.9", and even outright accusing AMD of lying because they "went back on their word about RDNA2 only being 7nm+" and thus aren't trustworthy. Somehow.

They are literally accusing a respected company of lying to the public and their investors in the name of furthering console war nonsense even as they have literally no dog in the fight since both companies are their customers. It's a whole new level of pathetic.
After MS confirmed RDNA2 and 12 TF I read on this very forum that they were rounding up to 12, that they were still talking equivalents, that they were at 11.x + CPU. So you are wrong. AMD has not confirmed anything, that's the point. If they had, it would be clear as day, but it's not. It's just the same messaging that makes everybody see what they want to see.

ethomaz

Banned
Where and at what point did they say or show that PSV is RDNA 2. Statements like or or where's the statement Is that so hard? That will close the door on any fanboy BS.

Oh yes theyou can't get anymore Vague than that, last I checked there are 3 consoles coming out and right now only 2 have RDNA 2.
Only in your head is vague lol

There are two consoles announced for this Holiday: PS5 and Xbox Series X.

AMD said both consoles are RDNA 2.

Another quote from the presentation to you not feel depressed:

"So we have developed all new hardware accellerated raytracing architecture as part of RDNA 2. It is a common architecture used in the next generation game consoles. With that, you will greatly simplify the content development, so that developers can develop on one platform and quickly port it to another platform. This will help accelerate adoption."

Sony actually says RDNA and not RDNA2 on their website.
Like MS up to Oct 2019 (or when they changed to next-generation RDNA because they revealed Xbox One X as RDNA just like Sony).
You known the article is from that date... from the Wired's article.
You have no more point to fair... all of them are dead because AMD confirmed RDNA 2 to PS5.

After MS confirmed RDNA2 and 12 TF I read on this very forum that they were rounding up to 12, that they were still talking equivalents, that they were at 11.x + CPU. So you are wrong. AMD has not confirmed anything, that's the point. If they had, it would be clear as day, but it's not. It's just the same messaging that makes everybody see what they want to see.
AMD confirmed yesterday PS5 and Xbox Series X as being RDNA2.

What you delusional thinks nobody cares.

So stop to make up fake news.

Last edited:
Top Bottom