• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD announces Ryzen Mobile CPU Branding Starting With Ryzen 7000 Dragon Range, Phoenix, Mendocino, Rembrandt & Barcelo Refreshes

AMD Mobile CPUs To Get New Branding Starting Ryzen 7000 Series, Dragon Range & Mendocino SKUs Confirmed​

AMD is getting ready for a major Ryzen Mobile launch in the coming months. Starting with the Mendocino family, the Ryzen 7000 Mobility CPU family is going to make use of a new & refined branding scheme which will scale from entry to high-end chips.

AMD-Ryzen-7000-Mobile-CPU-Lineup-New-Naming-Scheme-Dragon-Range-Phoenix-Point-Rembrandt-Barcelo-Mendocino-_2-lines-scale-4_00x-Custom.png

AMD-Ryzen-7000-Mobile-CPU-Lineup-New-Naming-Scheme-Dragon-Range-Phoenix-Point-Rembrandt-Barcelo-Mendocino-_4-lines-scale-4_00x-Custom.png

• Mendocino (Ryzen 7020 Series) - Everyday Computing
  • Barcelo-R (Ryzen 7030 Series) - Mainstream Thin & Light
  • Rembrandt-R (Ryzen 7035 Series) - Premium Thin & Light
  • Phoenix Point (Ryzen 7040 Series) - Elite Ultrathin
  • Dragon Range (Ryzen 7045 Series) - Extreme Gaming & Creator
AMD-Ryzen-7000-Mobile-CPU-Lineup-New-Naming-Scheme-Dragon-Range-Phoenix-Point-Rembrandt-Barcelo-Mendocino-_1-lines-scale-4_00x-Custom-1100x617.jpg

More at the link https://wccftech.com/amd-reveals-ne...hoenix-mendocino-rembrandt-barcelo-refreshes/

Tams

More details:

resize

Note: The first '0' (second number) is a placeholder for the 'market segment'.

If you're looking for what has best performance, then it's probably best to look at the third number (architecture), then the second number (market segment). That said, say a 7735 might perform better than a 7340 (but be less power efficient).

Last edited:

WitchHunter

Banned
Why can't they say

Ryzen Dik - average joe edition for fifa players
Ryzen MegaDik - serious player who played fallout and protected Dogmeat
Ryzen MegaBigDik - fucking powerful, for the toxic alphamales

So Ryzen MegaBigDik 1000 which means fucking powerful 5,4 kwatts 1000 THz edition.

All these confusing naming schemes...

tkscz

Was confused that the 7040 will have RDNA3 integrated but the 7045 will have RDNA2 integrated but I'm assuming the 7045 is meant for laptops with dGPUs in them.

Will be interesting to see the GPU performance in the 7040 though. The 680m in the 6000 series using 12CUs is damned impressive for integrated graphics.

Tams

Ryzen 7040 Series "Phoenix" with Zen4/RDNA3 sounds the best to me. Their numbering schemes totally suck.
WrT718m.jpg

I mean, you come up with a better one that isn't deceptive.

This way from the product name alone (and the one the will be used on packaging and promotion), you can tell what generation, what market section/use case, what CPU architecture, what sub-market section (low or high), and what form factor it is. All that's missing is the iGPU information, but at least for this generation that generally follows the market section.

For the right dumbos out there, just go with the 'Ryzen 5' or whatever. If those people don't care to look up the SKU, then they'll be fine with a 'lesser' Ryzen 5.

Last edited:

Tams

Was confused that the 7040 will have RDNA3 integrated but the 7045 will have RDNA2 integrated but I'm assuming the 7045 is meant for laptops with dGPUs in them.

Will be interesting to see the GPU performance in the 7040 though. The 680m in the 6000 series using 12CUs is damned impressive for integrated graphics.

I think that's exactly it, and AMD don't want to waste silicon on something that doesn't need to be as good. There are likely to be a number of devices that use Phoenix (7040) that won't have a dGPU that will need a good iGPU (hopefully several have dGPUs too though). The Dragon Range (7045) devices are almost certain to always have a dGPU that's going to be better than any iGPU, but they do still need a decent iGPU.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

AMD Mobile CPUs To Get New Branding Starting Ryzen 7000 Series, Dragon Range & Mendocino SKUs Confirmed​

AMD is getting ready for a major Ryzen Mobile launch in the coming months. Starting with the Mendocino family, the Ryzen 7000 Mobility CPU family is going to make use of a new & refined branding scheme which will scale from entry to high-end chips.

AMD-Ryzen-7000-Mobile-CPU-Lineup-New-Naming-Scheme-Dragon-Range-Phoenix-Point-Rembrandt-Barcelo-Mendocino-_2-lines-scale-4_00x-Custom.png

AMD-Ryzen-7000-Mobile-CPU-Lineup-New-Naming-Scheme-Dragon-Range-Phoenix-Point-Rembrandt-Barcelo-Mendocino-_4-lines-scale-4_00x-Custom.png

• Mendocino (Ryzen 7020 Series) - Everyday Computing
  • Barcelo-R (Ryzen 7030 Series) - Mainstream Thin & Light
  • Rembrandt-R (Ryzen 7035 Series) - Premium Thin & Light
  • Phoenix Point (Ryzen 7040 Series) - Elite Ultrathin
  • Dragon Range (Ryzen 7045 Series) - Extreme Gaming & Creator
AMD-Ryzen-7000-Mobile-CPU-Lineup-New-Naming-Scheme-Dragon-Range-Phoenix-Point-Rembrandt-Barcelo-Mendocino-_1-lines-scale-4_00x-Custom-1100x617.jpg

More at the link https://wccftech.com/amd-reveals-ne...hoenix-mendocino-rembrandt-barcelo-refreshes/
Looks like we need to wait a bit more for the successor to the 6800U that AyaNeo2 uses and I bet Valve will want to use its successor.
AyaNeo2 uses 8 Zen3+ based CPU cores vs the 4 Zen 2 cores in the Steam Deck.

Curious to see a custom version of what they plan for 7800U and what customisations Valve asks for.

rnlval

More details:

Overview-architecture.png

Note: The first '0' (second number) is a placeholder for the 'market segment'.

If you're looking for what has best performance, then it's probably best to look at the third number (architecture), then the second number (market segment). That said, say a 7735 might perform better than a 7340 (but be less power efficient).

I wonder if Xilinx FPGA-based XDNA AI acceleration for Ryzen 7040 can be used for retro emulation via FPGA.

Tams

I wonder if Xilinx FPGA-based XDNA AI acceleration for Ryzen 7040 can be used for retro emulation via FPGA.

Perhaps? I only read one article about it and it seems even AMD don't really quite know what it will work well with, but that it's the direct they think the industry is going so want to get in there sooner rather than later. In that article there was something about it not being a full FPGA or something, but that's beyond my understanding.

HotHardware has more (not going to lift parts of their article - great site, give them a visit):

Last edited:
Top Bottom