• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD 6000 GPUs are dying

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Lmao fuck off. I did have Radeons at some point and I switched to nVidia when I got a 1080. While I have nothing to prove to an entitled fucking nitwit with a shitty opinion, my first video card after 3DFX was an ATI 3D Rage card, then an 8500, 7770, and now I’m at 1080. My next card will be most likely be an nVidia 4000 or 5000 series. I started building PC’s just after Battlefield 2 came out as I tried to upgrade an HP PC with a PCI video card while only having AGP slots, not knowing much at the time. From there I put together an AMD64 machine with Windows XP 64-bit edition. Since then I’ve built about 50 or 60 PCs because I had a job that required me to build NVR’s. Since then, I’ve build for family and friends.

Now sit the fuck back down.
Then why would you make that kind of statement knowing that Nvidia have had plenty of issues in the past? I went from software rendering, to Voodoo Rush, to Voodoo 2, through a bunch of AMD and Nvidia cards and now have a 6900xt in my desktop and a GTX1650 in my laptop. I buy whatever gives me the best bang for my buck and which is within my price range (well nowadays that Voodoo Rush was my first lesson in doing your homework) if the 3080 had dropped in price like the 6900xt's did I would have one in my computer now. I honestly don't even get this whole team red team green bullshit, but I do know that neither Nvidia or AMD have a spotless track record.

GHG

Gold Member
what the fuck are you smocking?

aside from the 4090 which is not a bad product but a high price, everything else released after the 3080 is a completely in the " high price and poor product. "

3080 ti/ 3090 / 3090 ti/ 4080 / 4070 ti ( to a degree ).

and monopoly isn't paying high and getting a poor product. monopoly is when you own all the market for yourself and price shit whatever you want regardless if it's a marginal profit or 500% profit. that is EXACTLY what Nvidia is doing.

Even Apple doesn't do that shit with their Iphones or mac having the same price almost every year for their newer product.

what a weird logic.

The 4080 is on average over 50% faster than the 3080:

https://www.techspot.com/review/2569-nvidia-geforce-rtx-4080/

That is not a bad product when historical gen over gen increases in performance have been in the 30's percentage wise. As with the vast majority of their GPU's, it's a very good product, just poorly priced. Literally every reviewer also said this:

https://www.digitalfoundry.net/nvidia-geforce-rtx-4080-review-great-performance-poor-pricing

In comparison, despite their lofty claims prior to launch, the 7900 XTX is ~35% faster than the 6900 XT:

https://www.techspot.com/review/2588-amd-radeon-7900-xtx/

If Nvidia were producing poor products along with poor prices then they would quickly concede market share to AMD.

So yeh, glad to be be "smocking" something different to whatever you are.

If you read your own posts in this thread you'd come to the same conclusion. LOL

Mirror mirror on the wall.

I'm capable of having this discussion with you and everyone else in this thread without needing to resort to calling anybody a "fanboy" in order to invalidate anyone else's points. It's a shame that you can't do the same. My full GPU history is documented across the time I've been posting on this forum, I'm more than happy to switch vendors when necessary in order to get a better product for my money. That is not the case now and AMD's GPU division is not deserving of any defence. They should do better, we would all benefit, nothing "unfortunate" about it.

DaGwaphics

I've never even owned an AMD card, so, I'm not much of an AMD fanboy. LOL

I just call it like I see it. When I see foolish, illogical posts with no standing I call them out. As does everyone else. Crazy thing about opinions is that everyone has their own.

//DEVIL//

The 4080 is on average over 50% faster than the 3080:

https://www.techspot.com/review/2569-nvidia-geforce-rtx-4080/

That is not a bad product when historical gen over gen increases in performance have been in the 30's percentage wise. As with the vast majority of their GPU's, it's a very good product, just poorly priced. Literally every reviewer also said this:

https://www.digitalfoundry.net/nvidia-geforce-rtx-4080-review-great-performance-poor-pricing

In comparison, despite their lofty claims prior to launch, the 7900 XTX is ~35% faster than the 6900 XT:

https://www.techspot.com/review/2588-amd-radeon-7900-xtx/

If Nvidia were producing poor products along with poor prices then they would quickly concede market share to AMD.

So yeh, glad to be be "smocking" something different to whatever you are.

I'm capable of having this discussion with you and everyone else in this thread without needing to resort to calling anybody a "fanboy" in order to invalidate anyone else's points. It's a shame that you can't do the same. My full GPU history is documented across the time I've been posting on this forum, I'm more than happy to switch vendors when necessary in order to get a better product for my money. That is not the case now and AMD's GPU division is not deserving of any defence. They should do better, we would all benefit, nothing "unfortunate" about it.
When you release a 4070ti card for the same performance of 3080/ 3090 for an official price of 800$ that doesn't exist (900$ cheapest) Which is the same price as 3080 that was released 2 years ago. Yeah that's a bad product and bad pricing.

And when a card that cost 1200 where it's supposed to cost 800/900 as it's a 2 years generational leal, makes the card a bad product because of it's pricing.

Pricing of the product is what makes it good or bad. But I am assuming you don't want to know that so you can type something here.

Even rx 580 priced at 50$ makes it an awesome product. Heh

Tomeru

There we go again. You tube repai man gets a random amount of cards with same issue, and the internet is calling DOOM!

Also, a hot spot temp of 90 on series 6000 should be fine (max is 110 which is bad).

DaGwaphics

So blame the user right? FFS we should be perfectly fine updating to a new driver instead of waiting for a review. No way in fuck am I going to micromanage drivers. If there is an update and I don't mind rebooting I am going to update. Never in my nearly 30 years of PC gaming have I hit a catastrophic failure from upgrading to a released driver. But shit since it happened once to a few people I guess I need to modify my behavior as does every other PC gamer on the planet. Yeah great advice/ finger pointing.

I wouldn't blame the user no. It just can be a smart move to not jump on every update unless there is a pressing reason to do so (bad security bug, or a correction for an existing instability problem). If things are stable, I'm not one to jump on every BIOS or Driver update day one unless I need to for an upgrade or something like that.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
you are right, but i just meant in general, same with when samsung made phone about apple removing the headphone jack only to do the same shortly after

I used to hate that decision, but I understand it now for space considerations and how many people actually need it.

GHG

Gold Member
When you release a 4070ti card for the same performance of 3080/ 3090 for an official price of 800$ that doesn't exist (900$ cheapest) Which is the same price as 3080 that was released 2 years ago. Yeah that's a bad product and bad pricing.

And when a card that cost 1200 where it's supposed to cost 800/900 as it's a 2 years generational leal, makes the card a bad product because of it's pricing.

Pricing of the product is what makes it good or bad. But I am assuming you don't want to know that so you can type something here.

Even rx 580 priced at 50$ makes it an awesome product. Heh

Have a look at my comments regarding the 4070 Ti in the review thread here:

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/rtx-4070-ti-review-thread.1649251/

I have no problem calling the 4070 Ti a bad product, because it is - it does not provide the generation on generation increases we would typically expect from a XX70 ti card (I explained why in that thread). The only thing it's served to do is make another poor product in the 7900 XT look ok.

The rest of the cards you mentioned however are not bad products, they are all just poorly priced.

Pricing does not determine whether a product is good or bad, pricing affects the value of a product. There are plenty of examples across all industries of excellent products that are poorly priced (and thus are poor value). That said, value is still subjective, hence you will still have instances where people purchase products that are widely perceived as "poor value" and they will thoroughly enjoy them for what they are because the underlying product is of a high standard. This scenario is typical of luxury products.

I've never even owned an AMD card, so, I'm not much of an AMD fanboy. LOL

I just call it like I see it. When I see foolish, illogical posts with no standing I call them out. As does everyone else. Crazy thing about opinions is that everyone has their own.

Funny that you've never owned an AMD card but yet you're hellbent on defending them. Maybe your lack of actual hands on or ownership experience with their GPU's is clouding your judgement.

You continuing to make excuses for AMD has no standing. If it did the market would respond appropriately.

As I said in another thread recently, there are some people who are irrationally irate with Nvidia because of their pricing and little else. Meanwhile you have AMD releasing outright broken products and they get all the excuses (and benefit of the doubt) in the world just because of concerns about "but monopoly". It's laughable.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Funny that you've never owned an AMD card but yet you're hellbent on defending them. Maybe your lack of actual hands on or ownership experience with their GPU's is clouding your judgement.

I've never even tried to defend them. 🤷‍♂️

I just said I think the recent stumbles (or perceived stumbles in this case since we don't know if this is a widespread issue or what the use case was for the GPU) are unfortunate for AMD since their reputation in GPUs is already poor. It is what it is, that's my opinion on it. LOL

I will defend the basic principle that even poor competition is better than no competition (as evidenced by the $100 price reduction on the AD104) and I guess you could say I defend the fact that the rx6000/7000 series are real products that users can game on and have enjoyable experiences with. I would like AMD and Intel to compete in a meaningful way, at least at the relevant price points, if saying that offends your sensibilities, so be it. Even if AMD and Intel only took 15% of the market each, things would be a lot healthier for consumers.

Last edited:

ACESHIGH

Banned
My driver is from Nov 30th, hope it doesn't mean I'm fucked... I mostly play 1080p @60 fps on a 6700xt with vsync on so I don't think it would make my card melt.

But it was around 90° while playing Warzone at unlocked fps some days ago, idk if that's normal tho
Warzone is unoptimized trash so it makes sense.

AMD's midrange offerings are currently some of the best yes but Intel's clearly getting competitive too, their performance is outdoing them in RT and upscaling. It's only a matter of time before they take that from AMD and then what? Worse in the high end, worse in the midrange, what is their market?

Besides if the pricing on the 7900 xt/xtx is any indication the middle of the stack is gonna be midrange but also not have midrange prices. you're gonna be seeing a 650 dollar 7700xt
I don't really care about what their market is. I vote with my wallet at the time of purchase, and the last two times its been AMD with the best value for my money. Whether that will continue will remain to be seen since as you said, Intel is on the come up. I won't be upgrading for another 12-24 months anyway, most likely. That should put all 3 chip makers 1-2 iterations ahead of where they are at now. Ideally prices across the board come down. I don't want to pay $650 for a 77700XT tier card. $350-$400 seems more reasonable for that class of performence.

GHG

Gold Member
I would like AMD and Intel to compete in a meaningful way, at least at the relevant price points, if saying that offends your sensibilities, so be it. Even if AMD and Intel only took 15% of the market each, things would be a lot healthier for consumers.

So would everyone. But in order for that to happen they need to start adding value to the industry via technological innovation and by providing us with high quality products that at least meet or exceed the benchmarks set by the market leader. Until that happens they will continue to flounder and most people won't give a shit.

ToTTenTranz

Banned
New video update from the repair shop that launched all the panic.

TLDR:

- Drivers are not at fault because they don't act on the affected components

- All the damaged cards originally came from different users, bur had been bought from the internet and had no receipt. They now suspect all the malfunctioning cards came from the same reseller.

- They also suspect this reseller was a miner that didn't store or handle these cards properly, leading to hardware that was barely working when it got resold. Just like some people guessed correctly in this thread.

Now it's necessary to consider this topic's Hall of Fanboy Shame, consisted of the posts that mocked and attempted to generalize all of AMD's hardware and software releases, based on one video from one repair shop about 48 videocards.

Last edited:

poppabk

TLDR:

- All the damaged cards originally came from different users, bur had been bought from the internet and had no receipt. They now suspect all the malfunctioning cards came from the same reseller.

- They also suspect this reseller was a miner that didn't store or handle these cards properly, leading to hardware that was barely working when it got resold. Just like some people guessed correctly in this thread.

Now it's necessary to consider this topic's Hall of Fanboy Shame, consisted of the posts that mocked and attempted to generalize all of AMD's hardware and software releases, based on one video from one repair shop about 48 videocards.

We have had this weird flip - for a long time genuine issues affecting thousands if not millions of people would get swept under the rug by tech companies, and now we have things like this or the Nvidia cable thing that get blown up out of all proportion.

jaysius

Banned

TLDR:

Neogaf overreacts about something that really was nothing, based on a single source which was never reliable in the first place...

Jimmy Fallon Celebs GIF

AGRacing

Neogaf overreacts about something that really was nothing, based on a single source which was never reliable in the first place...

Jimmy Fallon Celebs GIF
So that's really going to be it eh? There is also like 200 YouTube videos on the topic as well. So ridiculous.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
I had a good experience with the rx 580 except for the occasional "voltage settings have been reset" errors, but there is something that my 23 years of pc experience has taught me; AMD/ATI cards overheat and cause driver problems(crash, freeze, compatibility issues etc). I keep getting AMD cards from time to time as it is usually cheaper but I always have a concern while using it. Intel needs to take this GPU business seriously and give Nvidia the competition it deserves.

1 hour later... Umm... I guess I'm a little late? The truth has finally come out! I knew Amd would not produce faulty cards! I've always liked Amd cards and drivers! Go Red team!
Seriously though, I've had problems with Amd cards in general. This mystery may have been cleared, but my ideas haven't changed that much.

Last edited:

poppabk

So that's really going to be it eh? There is also like 200 YouTube videos on the topic as well. So ridiculous.
Yeah that's the problem, this stuff generates clicks so everyone makes their own video about the issue and it gets signal boosted to hell and back but they all reference the same singular source.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
I have had two nvidia GPUs die on me, what do I win?
Well,

Either you've OCed your cards or installed it incorrectly

OR

You wasted your chance to win the lottery by receiving two faulty nvidia cards.

Top Bottom